UVA 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: UVA 2024

Post by The Orfling »

blue angels wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:43 am
Finster wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:34 am I’m gonna move this thread to the top. UVA needs more Fanlax writers. I live nearby but it ain’t my team.

I’ll be there Saturday. Michigan at Klockner.

Looking forward to seeing how Lars and Kevin manage this team of superstars. I hear Boyden is the real deal. Who does he knock down on the chart if so? Until shown otherwise, I’m not sold on Millon. Let’s see.

I think Ghobriel is likely to be better than Lasalla. Like with Syracuse, the portal saves UVA from a tough spot at FOGO.

Michigan has some horses too.

Should be a revealing game.
Face off has not been a strength during pre season so likely advantage Michigan. it is a source of concern against a very good team like Michigan. Like last year, winner and loser are expected to make the tournament. We also are hearing Boyden is the real deal and he will see his 1st action at midfield, with some attack possibly mixed in. Lars disagrees with you on Millon as he has stated that Millon will be an immediate impact player and is expected to start with Shellenberger and Cormier at attack. Millon was injured most of his Sr year so the little he played was not 100%. This is a very tough game for Virginia.....We will know more Saturday.
I was able to get to a few Navy games in person last year, and Ghobriel looks like the real deal to me at FOGO. If I had to guess, I would say that Braun as the incumbent starts with the presumption that he has the job, but might get challenged by Ghobriel pretty quickly if circumstances suggest that Ghobriel would be an upgrade? (At the same time, maybe a reason the presumptive FOGO back-up transferred was because a healthy Braun is so strong that the transferring player didn’t believe he would have a good shot at a lot of face-off attempts.). We’ll find out soon! That’s a fun early matchup for UVA against Michigan and I’m looking forward to watching the stream.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

molo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:24 am It will be interesting to see whether Terenzi is used as a two way midfielder a la Conner or if he is employing exclusively as a dm along with Chizmar and Yeager. Unless he sees some time on o, it looks like all the offensive midfielders will be converted attackmen.
certainly hope terenzi is ready to be able to take some shifts on offense, at least in transition. he, chizmar and yaeger as transition mids could be a nice boost. schutz and boyden were midfielders in high school, and spent all or half of their time there in college. inderlied scraped his way onto m2 in their last scrimmage (with injuries).

but yeah, some attackmen. nowadays you mostly have to have a skillset or 2 that will mesh with your teammates while living above gle or up by the box. getting caught on d isn't that much of an issue with all the subbing. that can be speed, strength, size, shot on the run, a stretch shot or sometimes an ability to find creases inside or on the wing when they're vacated. colsey seems like a natural in the strength, size and speed categories, but really haven't seen enough of him.

they have some puzzle pieces to figure out, for sure.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

UVA looking strong early against Michigan. Love lacrosse on natural grass! In February, it's natural grass that looks very natural.
I have no trouble imaging this Wahoo team playing Memorial Day weekend.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Absolute terrible call on cheap shot by Michigan. Typical cannot win while clock is running so illegal/dangerous hit by a defenseman that did not slide quick enough.

Refs better get ahold of this as UVA right now is pissed and will run this up.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Nunes on fire
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:40 pmNunes on fire
Ghobriel getting all the face-off attempts and doing well against a good Michigan FOGO. Millon looks like a nice finisher as expected.

UVA looks great; not really seeing any potential holes.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

And McCabe …..wow
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

The size on this team is almost comical. Going to be extremely hard for anyone to initiate settled offense against them. If they can get this level of FO play to limit transition goals and Nunes sees the ball like this on outside shot…good luck!
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Quint is such a better announcer when he is not with Carc and Anish, actually adds color without all the lax bro bs. How are for real.
viho

Post by viho »

Pretty boy gorillas-19 B1G Gorillas-11

That Yahoo attack is scary.
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

I don't have much perspective, considering it is the first game, but that was a fun way to kick off the season. Millon reminds me of Doug Knight.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

viho wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:54 pm James Madison (and ODU to a much lesser extent) is on the rise in UVA’s backyard. Watching to see their impact on UVA, VT , UMD and even PSU recruiting. Recruiting higher academic profile football and basketball players doest’t work if you’re not winning. JMU could take a bite out of UVA’s bottom line. Maybe JMU is the next men’s D1 lax addition. We can’t forget their women’s team.
It is very difficult for a school that already has a women’s team to start a men’s team due to Title IX.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:24 pm UVA looking strong early against Michigan. Love lacrosse on natural grass! In February, it's natural grass that looks very natural.
I have no trouble imaging this Wahoo team playing Memorial Day weekend.
There are 3 natural grass fields in D-1: UVa, UNC, and Duke.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

I believe Utah is grass too
molo

Post by molo »

Either UVA is much better than anyone outside the top three or Michigan is not as good as I anticipated. I’m
going with a little of both.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:18 pm I believe Utah is grass too
Make it 4 teams.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

molo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:21 pm Either UVA is much better than anyone outside the top three or Michigan is not as good as I anticipated. I’m
I think that's a good read. I also think Michigan should get better as the season goes on and they integrate their transfers; UVA got some great transfers too but some at positions like FOGO that are easier for plug and play, so the "February UVA" may be closer to the final product whereas Michigan in April might be hitting on all cylinders and would match up better.

Bottom line, though, I expect to see UVA playing on Memorial Day weekend and if they stay healthy they'll be a solid bet to snag Lars his third national championship in 5 years.
coda

Post by coda »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:08 pm
molo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:21 pm Either UVA is much better than anyone outside the top three or Michigan is not as good as I anticipated. I’m
I think that's a good read. I also think Michigan should get better as the season goes on and they integrate their transfers; UVA got some great transfers too but some at positions like FOGO that are easier for plug and play, so the "February UVA" may be closer to the final product whereas Michigan in April might be hitting on all cylinders and would match up better.

Bottom line, though, I expect to see UVA playing on Memorial Day weekend and if they stay healthy they'll be a solid bet to snag Lars his third national championship in 5 years.
Michigan definitely showed they missed Zawaada. Took them awhile to get some flow on offense. Didn’t help that they attacked the strength of Virginia by starting the game initiating from the attack. The pick defense needs some real work. They tried not to switch and that was a big reason Millon had a hat trick in the first half. Michigan isn’t beating UVa, when they lose at the X and goalie play. UVa looks really solid down low on defense. They are big and athletic. Offense will once again be elite. Boyden fit in nicely. He has a very Shelly like game. Having a very quiet 5 pts. Terenzi looks very good. I thought he was the best middie. Having him and Shutz up top, will be an issue for defenses.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:07 pm And McCabe …..wow

Great start to a career. I saw him in the Under Armout game last July and he looked slow. Many of us saw him for the first time in that game. Duffy looked much better.

So of course game 1 in division 1, Millon nets 5 and Duffy 0. Of course.

Looking forward to seeing UVA against an apparently much better Richmond.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”