NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
RE6ULATOR

Re: NESCAC

Post by RE6ULATOR »

If you took the entire NJIT roster and slipped them into Bates uniforms, what’s their NESCAC record?
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:27 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:22 am
DoubleD wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:47 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:19 am
DoubleD wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:12 am
ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:41 am
DoubleD wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:40 am
smoova wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:56 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:33 pm Where are the players from Binghamton, LIU, NJIT, Bellarmine, etc.?
Those kids typically transfer to mid D3s, which are on par with the lowest D1s ...
That's untrue. LIU was mid D1 level program until this past yr there coach left for NJIT and there top 6 players transferred out but not to mid D 3 but to higher D 1. Coach Wolf had an eye for overlooked talent and moved the program from D 2 to D 1. Yr 1 with D 2 kids still around they struggled but yr 2 and on they competed very well in D1. He was building a solid program and it's a shame he left and didn't get to keep building. They took a big step back last season losing so much too talent and new coach playing seniors who barerly saw the field and wouldn't have if the team stayed together. LIU's best players transferred to higher D 1 schools. Will Mark- Syracuse, Jake Murphy - Syracuse and was in top 4 rotation at SSDM, Richie Lacalandra- Ohio State - started first 4 games at attack then left program, Chris Cambell - Umass - top pole at Umass and made PLL Archers game roster week 1, Justin Joseph- Drexel starting Fogo, Blake Behlen - Stonybrook- started at Attack. This past yr the new coach didn't like playing freshman so played seniors who were career backups and they struggled. If that team didn't break up they would have won the MAAC easy. They were in a tougher conference NEC with St Joes, Bryant and Hobart. LIU lost 11 - 10 to St Joes in conference tournament which StJoes won and then lost 18 - 16 in a great game vs Yale in NCAA tournament. Bryant won the yr before and took NCAA champs Virginia to final minute. LIU has some talented young kids so they will move back up to a mid D 1 program soon. Now for D 3 the top teams like Salsiberry or Tufts they can probably win the MAAC which is the weakest conference in D 1. Marist won and got blown off the field by Deleware In tournament. Next conferences like American East u for Albany, Vermont and Bryant, CAA u got Townson Deleware, Stonybrook then A 10 is St Joes, Richmond and High Point. Salsiberry can hang some with those teams but depth would hurt them. 2dn line mids on D 3 are not D 1 players at those schools. Their is many players in D 3 that can play on top 20 D 1 schools for sure. Cross Ferreira wousl have been a star at any top program and Boyden should be a stud at Virginia. Kids choose lower D 1 for scholarship money and a chance to win there conference tournament and just get an opportunity to play on an NCAA tournament game which they watched and dreamed of as a kid. Now kids who don't play much at Lower D 1 just go there to say they played D 1 because they should go to a mid D 3 and play. Sorry so long lol
LIU lost to Lindenwood last year….
Yes last yr as their coach left and 6 of there best players transferred out. Backup seniors played last yr when they lost to Lindinwood. 2022 team would have beat them 20 - 5. U obviously didn't read what I wrote. They had an All American goalie in Will Mark and two time NEC player of the yr Richie Lacalandra. 6 of there best player's transfered. Just go on YouTube and look at the 2022 highlights u will see the difference in talent. NJIT offered Coach Wolf more money so he left and so did all there best players. They have young talent so they will get better soon. Freshman Jake Lewis was Nassue County Attackman of the yr and an All American. Last season the team was depleted. I get last season they were weak I was explaining what happened and that there kids didn't transfer to mid D 3 but higher D 1 programs. They lost a lot of talent. No big deal tho
And, Lindenwood had players. Their leading scorer transferred to Penn State.
Yes Scarce or something like that he's a very good player. I was just saying that LIU there 6 best players transfered out when Coach Wolf left. 2 went to Syracuse, 1 Ohio State, 1 Umass, 1 Drexel and 1 Stonybrook. They lost all there top talent and the new coach does not like to play freshman so he played Seniors who were career backups and wouldn't have played much at all if there top players didn't transfer out. That's all I was just explaining what happened to them and why they dropped so low this past season. Coach Wolf was building a solid program but LIU didn't match the pay raise NJIT offered him so he left and so did there best players. It's a shame they didn't offer him more money he brought the team up from D 2 and recruited a lot of underrated players which they transferred to higher level programs. He was doing a great job and deserved more money but can't blame him for going with a higher paying job. I didn't mean to bring up any D 3 to D 1 nonsense I didn't know it was an issue before. Lol I watch D 3 games, D 2 games and D 1. There is talent all over these days.
No issues, just a lot of ultra-sensitive NESCACians that get butt hurt very easily. Everything you've posted is on point, the overall talent between the divisions is wide, as should be expected.

I hear NJIT players like Wolf, big change from the previous coaches. He has brought in good assistants, former D1 players, with ties to the area that will help with recruiting in the tri-state, Pa. area. I'm looking forward to catching a few games down in Newark.

Well, with their admissions rate, it shouldn't be a problem for him to get any kids into NJIT that he wants.
That doesn't mean what you think it does. Maybe this will help you;
College acceptance rates are a ratio—the number of total applicants to accepted students. For example, if 100 people apply to a college and 10 are accepted, the college has a 10% acceptance rate.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:53 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:33 pm Where are the players from Binghamton, LIU, NJIT, Bellarmine, etc.?
Those kids typically transfer to mid D3s, which are on par with the lowest D1s ...
That's untrue. LIU was mid D1 level program until this past yr there coach left for NJIT and there top 6 players transferred out but not to mid D 3 but to higher D 1. Coach Wolf had an eye for overlooked talent and moved the program from D 2 to D 1. Yr 1 with D 2 kids still around they struggled but yr 2 and on they competed very well in D1. He was building a solid program and it's a shame he left and didn't get to keep building. They took a big step back last season losing so much too talent and new coach playing seniors who barerly saw the field and wouldn't have if the team stayed together. LIU's best players transferred to higher D 1 schools. Will Mark- Syracuse, Jake Murphy - Syracuse and was in top 4 rotation at SSDM, Richie Lacalandra- Ohio State - started first 4 games at attack then left program, Chris Cambell - Umass - top pole at Umass and made PLL Archers game roster week 1, Justin Joseph- Drexel starting Fogo, Blake Behlen - Stonybrook- started at Attack. This past yr the new coach didn't like playing freshman so played seniors who were career backups and they struggled. If that team didn't break up they would have won the MAAC easy. They were in a tougher conference NEC with St Joes, Bryant and Hobart. LIU lost 11 - 10 to St Joes in conference tournament which StJoes won and then lost 18 - 16 in a great game vs Yale in NCAA tournament. Bryant won the yr before and took NCAA champs Virginia to final minute. LIU has some talented young kids so they will move back up to a mid D 1 program soon. Now for D 3 the top teams like Salsiberry or Tufts they can probably win the MAAC which is the weakest conference in D 1. Marist won and got blown off the field by Deleware In tournament. Next conferences like American East u for Albany, Vermont and Bryant, CAA u got Townson Deleware, Stonybrook then A 10 is St Joes, Richmond and High Point. Salsiberry can hang some with those teams but depth would hurt them. 2dn line mids on D 3 are not D 1 players at those schools. Their is many players in D 3 that can play on top 20 D 1 schools for sure. Cross Ferreira wousl have been a star at any top program and Boyden should be a stud at Virginia. Kids choose lower D 1 for scholarship money and a chance to win there conference tournament and just get an opportunity to play on an NCAA tournament game which they watched and dreamed of as a kid. Now kids who don't play much at Lower D 1 just go there to say they played D 1 because they should go to a mid D 3 and play. Sorry so long lol
Yes last yr as their coach left and 6 of there best players transferred out. Backup seniors played last yr when they lost to Lindinwood. 2022 team would have beat them 20 - 5. U obviously didn't read what I wrote. They had an All American goalie in Will Mark and two time NEC player of the yr Richie Lacalandra. 6 of there best player's transfered. Just go on YouTube and look at the 2022 highlights u will see the difference in talent. NJIT offered Coach Wolf more money so he left and so did all there best players. They have young talent so they will get better soon. Freshman Jake Lewis was Nassue County Attackman of the yr and an All American. Last season the team was depleted. I get last season they were weak I was explaining what happened and that there kids didn't transfer to mid D 3 but higher D 1 programs. They lost a lot of talent. No big deal tho
Yes Scarce or something like that he's a very good player. I was just saying that LIU there 6 best players transfered out when Coach Wolf left. 2 went to Syracuse, 1 Ohio State, 1 Umass, 1 Drexel and 1 Stonybrook. They lost all there top talent and the new coach does not like to play freshman so he played Seniors who were career backups and wouldn't have played much at all if there top players didn't transfer out. That's all I was just explaining what happened to them and why they dropped so low this past season. Coach Wolf was building a solid program but LIU didn't match the pay raise NJIT offered him so he left and so did there best players. It's a shame they didn't offer him more money he brought the team up from D 2 and recruited a lot of underrated players which they transferred to higher level programs. He was doing a great job and deserved more money but can't blame him for going with a higher paying job. I didn't mean to bring up any D 3 to D 1 nonsense I didn't know it was an issue before. Lol I watch D 3 games, D 2 games and D 1. There is talent all over these days.
No issues, just a lot of ultra-sensitive NESCACians that get butt hurt very easily. Everything you've posted is on point, the overall talent between the divisions is wide, as should be expected.

I hear NJIT players like Wolf, big change from the previous coaches. He has brought in good assistants, former D1 players, with ties to the area that will help with recruiting in the tri-state, Pa. area. I'm looking forward to catching a few games down in Newark.

Well, with their admissions rate, it shouldn't be a problem for him to get any kids into NJIT that he wants.
That doesn't mean what you think it does. Maybe this will help you;
College acceptance rates are a ratio—the number of total applicants to accepted students. For example, if 100 people apply to a college and 10 are accepted, the college has a 10% acceptance rate.
So no one wants to go to NJIT? They also publish their average SAT scores. It means just what it appears to mean.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:04 pm
So no one wants to go to NJIT? They also publish their average SAT scores. It means just what it appears to mean.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:47 pm If you took the entire NJIT roster and slipped them into Bates uniforms, what’s their NESCAC record?
I'll say 3-7 with wins over Trinity, Colby, and Wesleyan
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:34 pm
RE6ULATOR wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:47 pm If you took the entire NJIT roster and slipped them into Bates uniforms, what’s their NESCAC record?
See, I feel confident that Tufts would beat them, consistently. After that I don’t feel confident. I could see them hanging in that Midd, Bowdoin, Williams, and perhaps even Amherst group. NESCAC conference games seem like so many rivalry matches across sports, where unless there’s a severe mismatch, it’s going to be a tight hard fought game, regardless of the numbers next to the names. That’s what I think has so many people seemingly delusional about the depth of strength within the conference. Bowdoin can play NESCAC team _____ close, but there is a general lack of other comparables throughout the year (I know, I know- distance, but that explains the reason, it doesn’t discredit the hypothesis).
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:49 pm
See, I feel confident that Tufts would beat them, consistently. After that I don’t feel confident. I could see them hanging in that Midd, Bowdoin, Williams, and perhaps even Amherst group. NESCAC conference games seem like so many rivalry matches across sports, where unless there’s a severe mismatch, it’s going to be a tight hard fought game, regardless of the numbers next to the names. That’s what I think has so many people seemingly delusional about the depth of strength within the conference. Bowdoin can play NESCAC team _____ close, but there is a general lack of other comparables throughout the year (I know, I know- distance, but that explains the reason, it doesn’t discredit the hypothesis).
I certainly appreciate the perspective, and I agree that a teams success, or lack thereof, in-conference may be skewed simply due to the nature of the conference. However, with the NESCAC, you are typically facing a few ranked teams in-conference each season, so perhaps OOC schedule is not as important, or indicative of depth, but yes, it does make comparisons to their D3 peers difficult.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I agree that the Fighting Laxdads would do better than 3-7. They would get thrashed by Tufts. I also can see them similar to the next pack of teams. As that changes every year, it it hard to say exactly who they would beat or lose to but they would probably be comparable to the average 3rd or 4th best NESCAC team in a given year. Those teams are strong D3 teams but not usually top 10. Which is very much consistent with the very much accepted premise that the top D3 teams (Tufts) would fairly easily handle the bottom of D1 (NJIT). This idea has nothing at all to do specifically to NESCAC teams, has nothing to do with how midlevel D3 teams would do vs D1 and nothing at all with how top D3 teams or their players would do against or at top D1 schools. That probably won't stop those strawmen from being ambushed though.
Last edited by pcowlax on Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**laxfan**

Post by **laxfan** »

NNELax wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:44 am Here is the pitch:

NESCAC Coach: "Why go play at Lafayette or Holy Cross when you can come here and have a chance to win a national title?"

-Fin-

*You can insert the NESCAC program HC's over the last 20 years that would fit this narrative.
Reading through this thread, one thing that I've not seen mentioned is the timing challenge that can occur with NESCACs, i.e. when they can extend an offer to a recruit. This was tough to evaluate and work through for my son as he went through the recruiting process. He was very interested in several of the NESCACs and received strong interest/contact/communication from those he targeted. He ended up at a D1 that typically ranks in lower portion of the middle 1/3 of programs, mainly because of the risk of passing on D1 offers with no guarantee of a NESCAC offer (or admission). He's happy where he's at, but the outcome may have been different if he were able to get more certainty from the NESCAC process earlier (even if only something informal). I wonder how often this occurs and how many recruits find themselves in a similar situation.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

shorelax12 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:13 pm
I certainly appreciate the perspective, and I agree that a teams success, or lack thereof, in-conference may be skewed simply due to the nature of the conference. However, with the NESCAC, you are typically facing a few ranked teams in-conference each season, so perhaps OOC schedule is not as important, or indicative of depth, but yes, it does make comparisons to their D3 peers difficult.
But that’s just it, if some of the teams are ranked largely because they play well vs ranked in-conference foes, it is being skewed by the fact that the conference games are typically closer in score/harder fought. That’s the point. When Bowdoin hangs in there with Tufts the feels are “they must be that good,” but when Conn hangs in there with Tufts it’s because “teams always play up for the conference matches.” Maybe it’s the latter, for both
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:16 pm … This idea has nothing at all to do specifically to NESCAC teams, has nothing to do with how midlevel D3 teams would do vs D1 and nothing at all with how top D3 teams or their players would do against or at top D1 schools. That probably won't stop those strawmen from being ambushed though.
You bristling at the very notion of a simple comparison is very much NESCAC specific. The beginning (I think 10+ pages ago) was “how many Duke players Bates needed to win the NESCAC.” The fanboy knee jerk reaction that was something to the effect of “virtually the entire Duke starting lineup” generated this. We could have this conversation with other top D3 teams and conferences, but right now we’re not. Right now we’re on a NESCAC thread talking about comparing the NESCAC to NJIT.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Amherst, Union, and Middlebury can compete with anyone in D3. Bowdoin is hit or miss.

As for the NJIT team. Just looking at the rosters and where the kids grew up playing and accolades. I am going to say NJIT would fall somewhere in the middle of the NESCAC.

Compare the roster to top level D3 programs and you will find those programs are loaded with first team all state or all metro. Lower level D1 teams tend to get All league or county. Yes. Some all metro kids do go low level D1. Was just saying in general
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:04 pm
pcowlax wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:16 pm … This idea has nothing at all to do specifically to NESCAC teams, has nothing to do with how midlevel D3 teams would do vs D1 and nothing at all with how top D3 teams or their players would do against or at top D1 schools. That probably won't stop those strawmen from being ambushed though.
You bristling at the very notion of a simple comparison is very much NESCAC specific. The beginning (I think 10+ pages ago) was “how many Duke players Bates needed to win the NESCAC.” The fanboy knee jerk reaction that was something to the effect of “virtually the entire Duke starting lineup” generated this. We could have this conversation with other top D3 teams and conferences, but right now we’re not. Right now we’re on a NESCAC thread talking about comparing the NESCAC to NJIT.
Actually the specific discussion that split off of the duke question was about top D3 vs low D1 and laxdad had the extremely uninformed take that not only would those D1 teams win those games but gave as his reasoning that that is how those games would go in college football and basketball and how was lacrosse any different? :lol: . Many have repeatedly discussed why D3 wins those games and his responses perseverate on NESCAC. RIT would thrash NJIT just as well as Tufts would. Don't recall anyone saying Bates would need the whole starting lineup of Duke to win the NESCAC but many people did say that they would indeed need more than 2 or 3 people, regardless of who they were.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

He will have that team competitive and not at the bottom of D1. They will never be a high level program but they will be very competitive and a mid level. He had LIU 8 - 7 in yr 3 technicallly yr 2 with Covid yr, playing a D1 schedule after making the jump from D2.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Jumbo wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:22 pm
Amherst, Union, and Middlebury can compete with anyone in D3. Bowdoin is hit or miss.

As for the NJIT team. Just looking at the rosters and where the kids grew up playing and accolades. I am going to say NJIT would fall somewhere in the middle of the NESCAC.

Compare the roster to top level D3 programs and you will find those programs are loaded with first team all state or all metro. Lower level D1 teams tend to get All league or county. Yes. Some all metro kids do go low level D1. Was just saying in general
:lol: :lol: Stevens beats NESCAC schools...Stevens. NJIT would beat Stevens by 15, it's a different level. If NESCAC is so loaded, why aren't these kids playing for an Ivy league? Same pool of kids, right? If NJIT and Tufts played 10 times, Tufts wins 3. NJIT would wear them out. So would Monmouth, Stony Brook, Hofstra, Binghamton, Marist.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

That also depends were these kids play HS? U can be All State somewhere but if u played on say Long Island you wouldn't be higher then All County. Also some kids are late bloomers or didn't play on high level club teams so didn't get seen by many coaches. Heck Will Mark wasn't even a 3 star and his an All American playing in the ACC.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

How about say a Hofstra, Drexel Stonybrook? Stonybrook has a lot of talent. Dylan Palenetti is one of the best players in all of D1. Blake Behlen transferred from LIU and starts at attack with him. Noa Armitage was drafted in the NLL 1st rd I believe. Stonybrook lost by 2 goals in a highly competitive conference championship game with Deleware which is a top 20 program and played Duke to a close battle in NCAA tournament. Again im just curious so I can get more of an idea of the talent level on the NESCAC. I'm definitely gonna catch some games this. I'm a fan of all 3 divisions.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:41 pm

:lol: :lol: Stevens beats NESCAC schools...Stevens. NJIT would beat Stevens by 15, it's a different level. If NESCAC is so loaded, why aren't these kids playing for an Ivy league? Same pool of kids, right? If NJIT and Tufts played 10 times, Tufts wins 3. NJIT would wear them out. So would Monmouth, Stony Brook, Hofstra, Binghamton, Marist.
Do you watch lacrosse? Serious question.

1. I am not sure why you use Stevens as an example, they have been mediocre since 2018. The only NESCAC they have beaten since then was Wesleyan last year, who has been struggling.

2. Stony Brook and Hofstra are not bottom of the barrel d1's by any means. NJIT DIDN'T WIN A GAME IN 2022. They have 6 wins since 2019 and two are against Hampton and Lindenwood!! They are not good..... Neither is Monmouth, their best win in the last five years in Quinnipiac.

3. I am sure a majority of these players applied and visited / met with IVY coaches and had their reasons for either going IVY or NESCAC. Most likely if they had the grades to play at an IVY, why not go the NESCAC route which is on par academically if the ivy didn't work out. Also, I am sure there are IVY coaches who passed on the likes of Boyden, Bredahl, Jacoby, Upgren, Bruun, Stump, Hawthorne, Dan Murphy, Byrne, Mullane etc and definitely would have loved to have those players on there teams.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:41 pm

He does make a good point if kids choose NESCAC due to academics then why not play at an Ivy League school? You can't say a kid rather play at Union then at Cornell or Princeton. I'm curious to see how Jake Titus does at Syracuse thsi yr. He was the top SSDM in D3. Will he be a top shorty in the ACC? That's a big jump up on competition. My nephew played SSDM at Cuse. He could be covering Jack Boyden at UVA now instead of a teams weakest middie. All I read about him is he's very talented. That will say a lot about the level of NESCAC is he struggles. Playing offense can translate much easier to a higher level then defense. Guys in the ACC are bigger faster and more athletic. I'm rooting for him tho especially in an SU fan. Lol
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

DoubleD wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:59 pm
How about say a Hofstra, Drexel Stonybrook? Stonybrook has a lot of talent. Dylan Palenetti is one of the best players in all of D1. Blake Behlen transferred from LIU and starts at attack with him. Noa Armitage was drafted in the NLL 1st rd I believe. Stonybrook lost by 2 goals in a highly competitive conference championship game with Deleware which is a top 20 program and played Duke to a close battle in NCAA tournament. Again im just curious so I can get more of an idea of the talent level on the NESCAC. I'm definitely gonna catch some games this. I'm a fan of all 3 divisions.
Stonybrook and Hofstra are well-respected and talented D1 teams. They are not on the same level of NJIT, Monmouth, Wagner etc.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”