NFL

General Chatter
cradleandshoot

Re: NFL

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:39 am Dem Bills did a right fine job last night on them Cowturds. Allen is one tough cookie. I think Sean McDermott is a good coach. He was an assistant in Philly some years ago. Wish we had been able to keep him. Bills gave the Eagles a gift. Hope we don’t squander it tonight.
My son lives in the same town that McDermott grew up in. My grandson is a huge iggles fan. My son took him the rain fest against the Bills. It was one hell of a good game. My grandson loved it.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
njbill

Post by njbill »

It was one heck of a game which I enjoyed from the comfy, warm, dry confines of my family room.

Birds were very lucky to win that game. People who were there said Jake's FG was in VERY tough conditions.

Your grandson has exquisite taste. ;)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Former #Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall:

“I'm sick of average white guys commenting on football. Y'all not even good at football.

https://x.com/jasrifootball/status/1736 ... a82I2GssRg
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:38 pm Former #Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall:

“I'm sick of average white guys commenting on football. Y'all not even good at football.

https://x.com/jasrifootball/status/1736 ... a82I2GssRg
He had to be talking about Greg Olsen in specific. Great tight end but a horrible announcer in the booth.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:21 pm It was one heck of a game which I enjoyed from the comfy, warm, dry confines of my family room.

Birds were very lucky to win that game. People who were there said Jake's FG was in VERY tough conditions.

Your grandson has exquisite taste. ;)
He hits the Philly trifecta.
1 - Flyers
2- Eagles
3 - Phillies.
His first love is hockey. He is short for his age but he is mighty fast on skates. Loves to win and hates to lose.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I hope he wasn’t too despondent about last night. One of the things we old, wizened Philly fans have had to get used to, and that is crushing disappointment.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Cradle, there seems to be quite a few who post on various topics here with a great amount of animosity regarding anything related to Texas. So please don’t let your grandson know Jalen Hurts is from Houston or he might begin to be like them and blame the Eagles’ last three losses on him.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

6x6 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:18 pm Cradle, there seems to be quite a few who post on various topics here with a great amount of animosity regarding anything related to Texas. So please don’t let your grandson know Jalen Hurts is from Houston or he might begin to be like them and blame the Eagles’ last three losses on him.
Mr Hurt did not have any say on being born in Houston or living in the state of Texas. In fact, when given a choice and coming of age, he left the state for first Alabama and then Oklahoma. In addition, his current contract has a no trade clause, a first in Eagles history, an obvious ploy to ensure he never returns to Texas.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:15 pm I hope he wasn’t too despondent about last night. One of the things we old, wizened Philly fans have had to get used to, and that is crushing disappointment.
Yeah us die hard Bills fans are more than familiar with the concept of crushing defeats.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

6x6 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:18 pm Cradle, there seems to be quite a few who post on various topics here with a great amount of animosity regarding anything related to Texas. So please don’t let your grandson know Jalen Hurts is from Houston or he might begin to be like them and blame the Eagles’ last three losses on him.
Jalen Hurts could be from Mars but it wouldn't take away from his abilities as an elite quarterback in the NFL. His play against my Bills in the Rain Bowl proved that without a doubt.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:00 pm
Mr Hurt did not have any say on being born in Houston or living in the state of Texas. In fact, when given a choice and coming of age, he left the state for first Alabama and then Oklahoma. In addition, his current contract has a no trade clause, a first in Eagles history, an obvious ploy to ensure he never returns to Texas.
Surprised you don’t follow collegiate athletics very much but I’ll explain it to you. Jalen Hurts and many other athletes are recruited from schools not in their home states. Might be shocking but many accept which he did. Yet, he must still miss home and family back in Channelview because he lives there with his parents and sister during the off season.

NJBill, can you do Jalen a favor now that he has that big contract and find him a huge mansion in South Jersey so he can live there year round. Maybe he can get his old high school coach and still the coach there, his dad, a coaching job up that way. I’m sure ardilla would appreciate you helping him stay away from TX.
DMac

Post by DMac »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was surprised it was as long as it was before you came on after my expressing my sentiments about Texas, 6.
You know you were on my mind when I was sharing my thoughts, pretty sure you know it's nothing personal too.
I just don't like Texas. They're not all bad down there.....just most of 'em. ;)

Jalen might not want to stay in South Jersey if those Eagles stumble a bit more (and they are) and fall real short of
the finish line, those Philly Fans are tough.
Haven't been impressed with the Eagles all year, even at 9-1. Pretty soft schedule ahead, should put 'em in a good
spot in the race.
GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

DMac wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:08 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was surprised it was as long as it was before you came on after my expressing my sentiments about Texas, 6.
You know you were on my mind when I was sharing my thoughts, pretty sure you know it's nothing personal too.
I just don't like Texas. They're not all bad down there.....just most of 'em. ;)

Jalen might not want to stay in South Jersey if those Eagles stumble a bit more (and they are) and fall real short of
the finish line, those Philly Fans are tough.
Haven't been impressed with the Eagles all year, even at 9-1. Pretty soft schedule ahead, should put 'em in a good
spot in the race.
GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Texas has flaws no argument there. Paxton should be in prison, Cruz should go to Florida there are more Cubans there who might like him and Abbott can really go off the deep end. Razor wire, abortion etc etc. Fortunately there are some really good ones, in both houses. A great Texas state senator, John Whitmire (democrat) defeated Sheila Jackson Lee in the run for the Houston Mayor position. Yet she’ll probably win her spot back again. I love Texas and I love spending our summers at our cottage in the Finger Lakes, despite some of the politics of New York state too.

Back to the NFL…..with all the teams fighting for some spots it should be some good games coming up. It’d be something with the Eagles vs Bills in the Super Bowl.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Some of the Eagles do live in South Jersey, some in my town even. Not sure where Jalen lives during the season. I’d be a bit surprised if he decides to live here year-round. He seems like a Texas boy through and through.

Personally, I have nothing against Texas with the major exception of the Cowboys.

DMac, you are abandoning the Bills? I liked the Niners back in the Joe Montana days, but these Niners are arrogant jerks. Deebo is the new Michael Irvin around here. They are good, however.

No, the Eagles haven’t looked good this year except in a few spots here and there. Certainly not recently. Can they get it together? I don’t think so, but it is still possible. Actually, they have had a really tough schedule this year and were doing just fine with it until the last three games.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nope, not abandoning the Bills, I've never been onboard. My all time favorite Bills play is Norwood's missed FG, was beyond electrifying. Was pulling for the Giants.
Don't really get wrapped up in any team anymore, not any of them I could say I'm truly a fan of. I'm liking the Purdy run, would like to see the irrelevant one win it all.
Football is a nutty game....flags, replays/reviews, a catch/a bobble, freeze frame of the body in motion officiating.
It's a religion but it really is a god awful game. So slow, takes 3 hours to play 60 minutes. Football minds are in the
dark ages too (the Kelce TD lateral/pass that wasn't should be commonplace), it needs a Gary Gait to open up and elevate the game.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Thought you were a Bills fan, Dmac. Guess not.

Interesting comment about the Travis Kelce play. I suspect it’s not more common because if improperly executed, it results in a fumble. No coach in his right mind wants to have their offense fumble the ball. Pretty sure that Kelce had already picked up a first down, so in general, it’s better to take the first down and continue on. If he laterals the ball and his teammate doesn’t catch it, that’s a fumble. If he raises his arm up to throw the ball and his arm gets hit, that likely results in a fumble as well. At that point it’s probably a 50-50 ball with the defense. If my team is on offense, I certainly don’t want that.

It was an exciting play that was fun to watch though. The fact that it was negated by a penalty takes nothing away from that.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Many teams have life long fans but Mike is really out there. Since the piece below, he's gone even further. He had his truck painted to match the house and then he found an old Harley, which I don't think even runs and had that done also. He plays in the same golf league as me, along with his father and two brothers. I think they're all in the Bills Mafia...

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/st ... 989449002/
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:14 pm Thought you were a Bills fan, Dmac. Guess not.

Interesting comment about the Travis Kelce play. I suspect it’s not more common because if improperly executed, it results in a fumble. No coach in his right mind wants to have their offense fumble the ball. Pretty sure that Kelce had already picked up a first down, so in general, it’s better to take the first down and continue on. If he laterals the ball and his teammate doesn’t catch it, that’s a fumble. If he raises his arm up to throw the ball and his arm gets hit, that likely results in a fumble as well. At that point it’s probably a 50-50 ball with the defense. If my team is on offense, I certainly don’t want that.

It was an exciting play that was fun to watch though. The fact that it was negated by a penalty takes nothing away from that.
I think a whole lot of people would agree with you, certainly the conservative thinking football minds would. Football minds play the game too cautiously and lack any kind of creativity, IMO. Typical of what you say, "if improperly executed, it results in a fumble". Same with going for it between the 40s on 4th and short (no way I'm punting from there), might not make it so give the other team the ball (so they can have a chance to score). I think these ball players can handle a ball, have good hands and can throw too. Most of the receivers and ball handlers were probably HS hoops players, likely the best players on their team. The Kelce play would be part of my repertoire if I were a coach, those kind of plays, and that kind of thinking, should be commonplace in football the way I see it. These guys can throw and catch and toss the ball around but football minds are too cautious and can't think that way. It's a highly predictable game. I think football could be a much more wide open and exciting game. One day they might figure all that out, meanwhile we'll watch the same highly predictable game we've been watching all along.
njbill

Post by njbill »

DMac, the Eagles may have an opening at OC in a few weeks. You should apply. I’ll write you a recommendation.

BTW, is there a demarcation line in New York between Giants and Bills fans? In New Jersey, it’s pretty much 195. North of that it’s Giants/Jets. South it’s Eagles.
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:44 am DMac, the Eagles may have an opening at OC in a few weeks. You should apply. I’ll write you a recommendation.

BTW, is there a demarcation line in New York between Giants and Bills fans? In New Jersey, it’s pretty much 195. North of that it’s Giants/Jets. South it’s Eagles.
Bills are big in this area, really don't know what the Giants-Jets split is, probably more a NYC thing than around here. I don't hear much about it anyway.
First thing I'll do as your new OC is send the QBs to baseball camp and put out at SS. There they'll learn how to throw the ball many different ways and from many different angles (like Mahomes, the baseball player). Football minds will teach them to throw over the shoulder with feet planted squarely. All QBs should be able to do what Mahomes does. Then I'll have them watch some Gait highlights and show them what a different way of thinking and playing can do to revolutionize their game. They weren't welcomed with open arms as freshman but when they were sophomores everyone wanted to play like they did. They changed the game, just thought differently and saw the game differently. Football needs that, IMO.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”