NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Jumbo

Re: NESCAC

Post by Jumbo »

shorelax12 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:44 am
Jumbo wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:00 am
shorelax12 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:50 am In an effort to turn the page, and right the the ship.. my son plays for a different NESCAC, but in discussing the upcoming season, he thought that Amherst will make a very strong push in the conference this year. While I am not as familiar with the team, and I realize that they lost a few impact players, I am curious as to what others thought. While Tufts is pretty stacked every year, it seems like they lost a lot of notable talent from last year.
I am pretty sure that I heard a rumor. That Amherst lost its best offensive player to the transfer portal
So, are you suggesting that they do not have the depth to make up for the loss, and, assuming that you are a Tufts supporter, how does transfer/graduation affect them this year.
Not making that assumption at all. Just stating a rumor that I had heard. I just checked and he is now on Rutgers.

With turnover in college lacrosse, and now the transfer portal, it’s very difficult to predict how teams will perform.

I will only say that most of the top 10-15 from end of last season, will probably still be in the top 15
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

slippinjimmy wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:54 am Trying to start discussion... These are just my thoughts and not set in stone.
With that being said here is how I would expect the NESCAC to look at the end of the spring.

1. Midd
2. Bowdoin
3. Tufts
4. Conn
5. Williams
6. Amherst
7. Trinity
8. Hamilton
9. Wesleyan
10. Colby
11. Bates

Thoughts on this/any changes you would make?
Definitely some hot takes, but I would personally keep tufts 1 until someone takes them down. I know they lost a lot of talent but they always reload. I would also put williams above Conn, and Wesleyan higher.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

laxdad1434 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:59 am
SouthieLax wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:47 pm And from that same era as Chlastawa:

Max Walbaum:
Tufts- 34 games, 129 pts
Jacksonville, 30 games, 106 pts (All Conference, 2 year captain)

Mike McCormack:
Middlebury- 3 seasons, 58 pts
Vermont- 2 seasons, 95 pts (All Conference, All New England)

What’s your spin on their adjustment?
Come on really, 2 players? As I said, there’s always exceptions. But 2 guys out of the 500 kids per year that play NESCAC ball isn’t a great example. And, these 2 probably should/could have played D1 out of HS. Both huge, D1 skills.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

Jumbo wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:37 am
shorelax12 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:50 am In an effort to turn the page, and right the the ship.. my son plays for a different NESCAC, but in discussing the upcoming season, he thought that Amherst will make a very strong push in the conference this year. While I am not as familiar with the team, and I realize that they lost a few impact players, I am curious as to what others thought. While Tufts is pretty stacked every year, it seems like they lost a lot of notable talent from last year.
I am pretty sure that I heard a rumor. That Amherst lost its best offensive player to the transfer portal
So, are you suggesting that they do not have the depth to make up for the loss, and, assuming that you are a Tufts supporter, how does transfer/graduation affect them this year.
Not making that assumption at all. Just stating a rumor that I had heard. I just checked and he is now on Rutgers.

With turnover in college lacrosse, and now the transfer portal, it’s very difficult to predict how teams will perform.

I will only say that most of the top 10-15 from end of last season, will probably still be in the top 15
The only player showing on Rutgers was a grad transfer, is there another?
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Asgot

Post by Asgot »

shorelax12 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:35 pm
Jumbo wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:37 am

The only player showing on Rutgers was a grad transfer, is there another?
the other one (Gonzalez)went to Duke He was the big attackman that got injured pretty early in the season. I was going to ask the same question. Can Tufts reload from losing Boyden, Kohn, Swank, and Bruun. 3of the 4 are going to play big roles at D1 Schools.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Asgot wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:01 pm … Boyden, Kohn, Swank, and Bruun. 3of the 4 are going to play big roles at D1 Schools.
Like Donal Mullane big?

He must’ve tore it up in DI, because lit it up in the NESCAC. I admit, I haven’t looked at the DI stats yet.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:38 pm
Asgot wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:01 pm … Boyden, Kohn, Swank, and Bruun. 3of the 4 are going to play big roles at D1 Schools.
Like Donal Mullane big?

He must’ve tore it up in DI, because lit it up in the NESCAC. I admit, I haven’t looked at the DI stats yet.
I feel like this is sarcasm, based off the laxdad kerfluffel. Mullane did not do much at Maryland, which I guess you knew.

Tons of guys have, most recently coming to mind is Ronan Jacoby, from Wesleyan to Rutgers. Had 48 points in 37,11 his one year there.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:00 pm
Like Donal Mullane big?

I feel like this is sarcasm, based off the laxdad kerfluffel. Mullane did not do much at Maryland, which I guess you knew.

Tons of guys have, most recently coming to mind is Ronan Jacoby, from Wesleyan to Rutgers. Had 48 points in 37,11 his one year there.
I think that the upcoming season will offer a good perspective considering the large number of impact players from the NESCAC who made the jump to D1
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:00 pm
Like Donal Mullane big?

Michael Nathan Colby to UNC.

I think Kohn will be a big contributor at Syracuse if he can stay healthy. IL noted Boyden w/a bunch of goals in at least one fall ball game. I think he will be good for 1-2 pts per game on a national championship contender.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Like Donal Mullane big?

No impact at all, indeed. Which is a good example of the difference between D3 and the top 10 in D1, which no one has questioned. Very few D3 players could walk on to Maryland for one year and see any time, that is undoubtedly true. It isn’t really relevant though to the beat into the ground question of how top D3 teams would do vs the bottom of D1. No one from Detroit Mercy or Canisius is seeing the field there either.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:38 pm
Like Donal Mullane big?

No impact at all, indeed. Which is a good example of the difference between D3 and the top 10 in D1, which no one has questioned. Very few D3 players could walk on to Maryland for one year and see any time, that is undoubtedly true. It isn’t really relevant though to the beat into the ground question of how top D3 teams would do vs the bottom of D1. No one from Detroit Mercy or Canisius is seeing the field there either.
Canisius and Wagner transfers taking a step up. The goalie from Wagner will start.

https://lacrossebucket.com/2023-college ... l-tracker/
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:00 pm …Tons of guys have, most recently coming to mind is Ronan Jacoby, from Wesleyan to Rutgers. Had 48 points in 37,11 his one year there.
tons ?
Unknown Participant wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:24 pm … Boyden... I think he will be good for 1-2 pts per game on a national championship contender.
Yea… we’ll see
shorelax12 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:24 pm I think that the upcoming season will offer a good perspective considering the large number of impact players from the NESCAC who made the jump to D1
This, but likely without the outcome many here are anticipating.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Has anyone ever seen Laxdad and Regulator at the same place at the same time? :lol:

FFS, please stop feeding the trolls.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:22 pm
Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:00 pm …Tons of guys have, most recently coming to mind is Ronan Jacoby, from Wesleyan to Rutgers. Had 48 points in 37,11 his one year there.
tons ?
Unknown Participant wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:24 pm … Boyden... I think he will be good for 1-2 pts per game on a national championship contender.
Yea… we’ll see
shorelax12 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:24 pm I think that the upcoming season will offer a good perspective considering the large number of impact players from the NESCAC who made the jump to D1
This, but likely without the outcome many here are anticipating.
:lol:
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

laxdad1434 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:41 pm
:lol:
jumpman23

Post by jumpman23 »

Low2high22 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:59 am
slippinjimmy wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:54 am Trying to start discussion... These are just my thoughts and not set in stone.
With that being said here is how I would expect the NESCAC to look at the end of the spring.

1. Midd
2. Bowdoin
3. Tufts
4. Conn
5. Williams
6. Amherst
7. Trinity
8. Hamilton
9. Wesleyan
10. Colby
11. Bates

Definitely some hot takes, but I would personally keep tufts 1 until someone takes them down. I know they lost a lot of talent but they always reload. I would also put williams above Conn, and Wesleyan higher.
Def Tufts spot to lose. But Midd and Bowdoin right there with them. Midd looking to ride wave, and Bowdoin is just loaded.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

1. Midd
2. Bowdoin
3. Tufts
4. Conn
5. Williams
6. Amherst
7. Trinity
8. Hamilton
9. Wesleyan
10. Colby
11. Bates

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Conn. I'm not very familiar with that roster outside of Liam Horkan who was a fantastic off ball finisher in his time at Belmont Hill. Looks like he had a strong freshman year (22g, 4a and .431 shooting percentage).
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

shorelax12 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:28 am
NNELax wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:15 am
pcowlax wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:25 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:31 pm Good for Babson! I grew up playing hockey there and it was certainly not considered a powerhouse of a school at the time.
Don’t want to sound NESCAC elitist (as my argument against the foolishness of thinking lower tier D1 could beat top D3 is not NESCAC specific) but any list that has Babson as a top 10 academic school in the country is crazier than laxdad.
NESCAC sycophants are in denial...Babson is a fantastic NESCAC adjacent option.. If Jr. wants to study business and entrepreneurship Babson is a premier spot...I know I'm not the only parent who would rather see my kid there than some of the lower ranked NESCAC's....
I completely agree on the Babson point, great school. Where I think that your argument goes a bit sideways is the comparison to "lower ranked NESCACs" As most, but obviously no all, on this forum understand, Babson has a great reputation, and is an amazing place if a student is looking for what they offer. What Babson does not offer, for better or worse, is the wide array of liberal arts courses offered by all of the NESCAC schools. However, if you interest is a strong undergraduate business degree, then other than some of the Ivies, or the other top business schools, Babson is a great option. In fact, some would suggest that the curriculum at Babson is more useful in the real world than that offered at some of the more prominent business programs. No dog in the fight as it relates to Babson, just know a bunch of really smart kids that go there, and play lacrosse, and a lot of very successful Babson grads.
No disrespect meant to Babson and none actually given, despite NNELax repeated instances of trying to put words in someone's mouth. Babson has a great business program, no doubt. That in no way makes it one of the 10 best colleges or universities in the country, it's not even close. That is like saying Johns Hopkins has one of the 10 best athletics programs in the country because their lacrosse is great. And it shows the obsession some have with the NESCAC to think that a rational response to an argument that Babson isn't one of the top 10 schools in the country is that Babson is stronger than a lower ranked NESCAC. Very possibly true, at least for those interested in a career in business. Also completely irrelevant to the question.
smoova

Post by smoova »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:43 pm And it shows the obsession some have with the NESCAC ...
Haters gonna hate ...

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”