THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hoponboard

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by Hoponboard »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:33 pm I know a little bit about Marcille - seen him play numerous times. No one - not even Epstein - will outwork him or out study him. He probably possesses tapes of Hopkins games already and unlike us could actually diagnose Petro's formations and packages. He literally is some kind of lacrosse savant. He will be off the charts in Lax IQ and commanding the defense. He probably already is a better keeper in terms of stopping outside shots than a certain someone but the point has already been made that he is short and does not take up much of the cage. Again you will never ever have to worry about whether he is putting the time in - he is putting in double. If he was 3-4 inches taller it would be something to see.
Marcille and Darby are both 5’9” and weigh around 175lbs.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

he's on the roster and this is from january:

This is Garnsey’s Loophole. Garnsey still has a chance to play in 2019. If Ryder were to get his grades up above the eligibility threshold following completion of his spring semester classes, he would then become NCAA eligible.

A similar instance happened in 2014 to Loyola. Sophomore attackmen Zach Herreweyers was ruled academically ineligible for the season. He continued to train on his own while emphasizing his school work. Loyola’s academic calendar ended before the start of the NCAA Tournament and their opening round game against Albany. Herreweyers completed his spring semester, got his grades up, and Coach Toomey elected to include him in their roster and gameplan. The same is possible this time around for Garnsey.

The First Round of the NCAA Tournament is the weekend of May 11-12. According to Notre Dame’s academic calendar, their spring exams take place May 6-10. If Garnsey were to pass his classes with grades strong enough to bring his overall numbers above the eligibility threshold, he would be eligible.

Perhaps that is why he noted that “This is not the end of my story at Notre Dame.” We shall see.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Hawkeye wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:54 pm
houndace1 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:42 pm Hi all, so i've heard a rumor around IL, twitter that Ryder Garnsey might play in the Hop ND game???? is that even possible considering he was deemed academically ineligible
I heard the same one...

The one possible thing to look into is did a semester/quarter just end at UND? I will see what I can find. Update: Spring semester officially ends next Monday, so I don't see how his eligibility status would have changed already.
I think its in the grapevines because maybe his finals are already done and he's about to graduate??? Don't quote me on that its purely speculation but i heard about this and frankly i don't think its fair
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:21 pm
Marcille has extremely quick hands. Very good goalie who has played against top-tier competition. Like Darby, though, he's pretty small. Doesn't fill up much of the cage.
quint didn't fill up much of the cage, and all it takes is one broadcast and you know how that turned out.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:38 pm he's on the roster and this is from january:

This is Garnsey’s Loophole. Garnsey still has a chance to play in 2019. If Ryder were to get his grades up above the eligibility threshold following completion of his spring semester classes, he would then become NCAA eligible.

A similar instance happened in 2014 to Loyola. Sophomore attackmen Zach Herreweyers was ruled academically ineligible for the season. He continued to train on his own while emphasizing his school work. Loyola’s academic calendar ended before the start of the NCAA Tournament and their opening round game against Albany. Herreweyers completed his spring semester, got his grades up, and Coach Toomey elected to include him in their roster and gameplan. The same is possible this time around for Garnsey.

The First Round of the NCAA Tournament is the weekend of May 11-12. According to Notre Dame’s academic calendar, their spring exams take place May 6-10. If Garnsey were to pass his classes with grades strong enough to bring his overall numbers above the eligibility threshold, he would be eligible.

Perhaps that is why he noted that “This is not the end of my story at Notre Dame.” We shall see.
This would be wild!
DocBarrister

Quick Question

Post by DocBarrister »

So, Joey Epstein has an outlandish 67 points during his freshman campaign. Has a shot at scoring 70 or more points now that Hopkins is in the NCAA tournament.

Who was the last Hopkins player to have scored 70 or more points in a season? Are we talking Riordan/Piccola era?

DocBarrister :?:
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Re: Quick Question

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:57 am So, Joey Epstein has an outlandish 67 points during his freshman campaign. Has a shot at scoring 70 or more points now that Hopkins is in the NCAA tournament.

Who was the last Hopkins player to have scored 70 or more points in a season? Are we talking Riordan/Piccola era?

Ryan Brown and Wells Stanwick both did it in 2015, though they had 18 games to do so. Hoping Epstein gets at least 18 as well...

The Garnsey thing is interesting. I don't think it's unfair really: if he's eligible now, he's eligible. That's the way it goes. Now I don't think that necessarily means he will play, or at least immediately go back to his usual role. Even last year before the academic thing he seemed to be in Corrigan's doghouse and wasn't playing the entire game for whatever reason despite him clearly being their best playmaker. That's something Corrigan will have to decide. I think the Jays should prepare as normal as if he's not playing. I don't think his presence dramatically changes the calculus. Win some draws, get a few more saves, keep executing on offense. Slide to Costabile, don't slide to Gleason (if Foley covers him).

Back to Marcille for a second...obviously there are exceptions but the trend nowadays seems to be toward bigger and/or wider goalkeepers. Many of the best in the country are pretty large dudes—Deluca, Stover, Canto, Sconone, Junkin, Troutner, Washuta. (Like I said, there are exceptions: Barretto of Army, for example). Doesn't mean he won't be a good goalie.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:57 am So, Joey Epstein has an outlandish 67 points during his freshman campaign. Has a shot at scoring 70 or more points now that Hopkins is in the NCAA tournament.

1. Jeff Cook 80 1981
2. Jack Thomas 77 1974
3T. Jack Thomas 75 1972
Joe Cowan 75 1969
Bill Morrill 75 1959
6. Jack Thomas 72 1973
7. Brendan Schneck 71 1980

And Brown 77 in 2015.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Man Wells Stanwick really does continue to be the most underappreciated attackman in Hopkins history.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Again - how are Wells and Shack not on the All-time JHU team?
Regardless of you qualitative assessment - the numbers are beyond compelling
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Stoked to watch the Jays invade South Bend this weekend. As ND has had trouble scoring, this matchup is right up Hop's alley. Looking for Epstein to have a big day, but he must solve Coach Byrne's defense. If we stifle the ND like UVA did, this w/e may be the start of something big!!

Need Marr to find space and shoot like he's capable. The Jays attackmen are starting to get separation and the slides are coming. Keep that pill hot!!
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Let's hope the weather holds, I don't want to see this one go inside.

On a different note, how bout little Pietramala's game against Gilman? Tremendous player.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:48 am Let's hope the weather holds, I don't want to see this one go inside.

On a different note, how bout little Pietramala's game against Gilman? Tremendous player.
I must admit I've spent too much time thinking about little Petro's future career in college than it likely warrants. I do find it to be a pretty interesting scenario, though. He's already one of the best players in the MIAA as a freshman, so I will go out on a limb and assume he will be a highly coveted recruit as an upperclassmen when he's allowed to commit.

If Petro is still our coach when his son is eligible to commit (which I believe will be in the fall of 2020?) then, does he come play for dad? Is that a given? Or is Hopkins the last place he wants to play? I always found it a little awkward when a coach's son is on the team but there are plenty of instances of it happening in both high school and college.

If Petro is NOT our coach then, does that count out his son from coming here? I guess it depends on the manner in which he leaves, whether or not it was cordial. I cannot imagine a Pietramala putting on a different uniform, but who knows.

Anyway, back to Notre Dame.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Drcthru wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 am

1. Jeff Cook 80 1981
2. Jack Thomas 77 1974
3T. Jack Thomas 75 1972
Joe Cowan 75 1969
Bill Morrill 75 1959
6. Jack Thomas 72 1973

And Brown 77 in 2015.

I'd like to point out that 'Cookie' (rip) in 1981 probably had the single greatest performance in an NCAA final, scoring 6 in a losing cause to UNC, who came back to win with a strong Q4. Cookie was mercilessly beaten by the UNC defenders. Brian Holman was Hop goalie then too. Brendan Schneck seems like he could easily still play with the game today...fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYwrowUELY8
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:39 pm
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:48 am Let's hope the weather holds, I don't want to see this one go inside.

I must admit I've spent too much time thinking about little Petro's future career in college than it likely warrants. I do find it to be a pretty interesting scenario, though. He's already one of the best players in the MIAA as a freshman, so I will go out on a limb and assume he will be a highly coveted recruit as an upperclassmen when he's allowed to commit.

If Petro is still our coach when his son is eligible to commit (which I believe will be in the fall of 2020?) then, does he come play for dad? Is that a given? Or is Hopkins the last place he wants to play? I always found it a little awkward when a coach's son is on the team but there are plenty of instances of it happening in both high school and college.

If Petro is NOT our coach then, does that count out his son from coming here? I guess it depends on the manner in which he leaves, whether or not it was cordial. I cannot imagine a Pietramala putting on a different uniform, but who knows.

Wasn't there a Chic who played back in the day? LaxFi would be correcting me in 3..2..1..
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:47 pm

1. Jeff Cook 80 1981
2. Jack Thomas 77 1974
3T. Jack Thomas 75 1972
Joe Cowan 75 1969
Bill Morrill 75 1959
6. Jack Thomas 72 1973

And Brown 77 in 2015.

I'd like to point out that 'Cookie' (rip) in 1981 probably had the single greatest performance in an NCAA final, scoring 6 in a losing cause to UNC, who came back to win with a strong Q4. Cookie was mercilessly beaten by the UNC defenders. Brian Holman was Hop goalie then too. Brendan Schneck seems like he could easily still play with the game today...fast.

You are only counting the six that showed on the scoreboard, right?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:56 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:47 pm

1. Jeff Cook 80 1981
2. Jack Thomas 77 1974
3T. Jack Thomas 75 1972
Joe Cowan 75 1969
Bill Morrill 75 1959
6. Jack Thomas 72 1973

And Brown 77 in 2015.

You are only counting the six that showed on the scoreboard, right?

lol...touche. I remember. I was just a kid then, my first NCAA final, watching in the stands. HOP should've won a few times...but the gods forbade it. Cookie imo to my young eyes was the toughest sob I've ever seen play the game.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Are there any score prediction tools?

I used to use laf’s Power Rankings with haf adjustments.

Not sure where they are now.

Was using Massey, but hell, the haven’t input the tournament games into the remaining teams’ schedules, so that’s no use.

(Massey also didn’t do anything in advance with all the conference tournament results, and only caught up on Monday with those results, but alas, no future games.)

Any other tools? Odds?
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

Another note on young Petro, he is a twin his other brother is a pole on BL's JV team this year. They could be a package deal.
viper

Post by viper »

I couldn't imagine a Morrill or Ciccarone or Holman in a different uni either. So I am dampening my expectation in the current situation.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”