THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

DMac wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:51 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:52 pm Found a picture of Syracuse and/or Maryland fans this evening:

CC7D93A7-E5FD-4C43-B9ED-CB3B11B18CA4.jpeg
Turns out this was a lot of horse****, eh?
Hop thread is now officially in the walk it back mode.
All those munchkins and lousy recruits lookin' pretty good now, I suppose.
Congrats, welcome to the dance.
My goal wasn’t to necessarily be right. It was to make some of you folks worry and have indigestion.
Bluejayfan2

Post by Bluejayfan2 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:20 pm Blue Jays versus Catholics
Technically aren’t we pacifist Quakers.
:shock:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Bluejayfan2 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:27 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:20 pm Blue Jays versus Catholics
Technically aren’t we pacifist Quakers.
:shock:
Maybe in origin.

I’m surely no pacifist.

I’ve been pointing out some of the military features of Mishawaka and South Bend to a few friends over the past couple of hours.

Woot.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1125211598648377344
The team awaits the selection results.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I'm not sure how many teams have ever been selected to an ncaa tournament as an at large with a negative point/goal differential but the -7 2019 jays I'm sure are in a select and unique group.

On the other hand a lot of mlb/nfl teams whine about playing sunday night games on the road and what that does to the team after travel for the next day/game. For all the interest in the student part of student athlete and concern about flights, the one program with the flight is the one playing on the road sunday night. That's probably a 1-2am return to dorm/apartment situation for the guys monday morning at a busy finals etc time.

when looking at the box score where penn state was beaten everywhere but in net and the final score, noteworthy that our manup unit hung 6 goals on them. Penn state's man down unit is one of the worst in the country, but nice to see "if you foul the jays the band will play" come back.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Man up was 6 for 6 vs. PSU and is now over 47% for the season.
viper

Post by viper »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:41 pm I'm not sure how many teams have ever been selected to an ncaa tournament as an at large with a negative point/goal differential but the -7 2019 jays I'm sure are in a select and unique group.

On the other hand a lot of mlb/nfl teams whine about playing sunday night games on the road and what that does to the team after travel for the next day/game. For all the interest in the student part of student athlete and concern about flights, the one program with the flight is the one playing on the road sunday night. That's probably a 1-2am return to dorm/apartment situation for the guys monday morning at a busy finals etc time.

when looking at the box score where penn state was beaten everywhere but in net and the final score, noteworthy that our manup unit hung 6 goals on them. Penn state's man down unit is one of the worst in the country, but nice to see "if you foul the jays the band will play" come back.
At this point I doubt anyone is complaining about playing Sunday night or about travel issues. I suspect they are just happy to be part of the second season.

There was one place in the box score where PSU was better...... saves - Kneese 13 (not awesome), Darby 6 (terrible). If he can even make one more save on an unobstructed shot from beyond 10 yards, Hopkins probably has a home game and doesn't worry about travel at all that first week.
viper

Post by viper »

Hoponboard wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:57 pm Man up was 6 for 6 vs. PSU and is now over 47% for the season.
With Cole Williams getting back to his "old self" and now getting production from the midfield (Smith and Concannon in particular), multiple threats are making it harder for defenses to just clamp down the attack. Having Zinn out there has also opened things up as he creates offense with his movement with the ball. I am excited to see what happens when he masters the art of shooting.

The improved offense also results in Hopkins "defending less" during the game which is in and of itself a very good thing as the defense has not improved much off ball.
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

viper wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:47 am
Hoponboard wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:57 pm Man up was 6 for 6 vs. PSU and is now over 47% for the season.
With Cole Williams getting back to his "old self" and now getting production from the midfield (Smith and Concannon in particular), multiple threats are making it harder for defenses to just clamp down the attack. Having Zinn out there has also opened things up as he creates offense with his movement with the ball. I am excited to see what happens when he masters the art of shooting.

The improved offense also results in Hopkins "defending less" during the game which is in and of itself a very good thing as the defense has not improved much off ball.
Lately Williams has done a better job of recognizing when to dodge to score and when to dodge to create defensive movement . The offense is also creating seams for Williams to dodge into to get a shot off before slide comes. With Williams and Epstein both being able to dodge to score you would hope it would translate into Marr getting some good looks to put the ball in back of net.

Zinn creates defensive rotation every time he dodges from up top. Hopkins has been missing a downhill Middie that actually draws a slide when dodging from up top all season. How the coaches didnt recognize this is beyond me. Zinn is following the Cole Williams track of a couple years ago. After all season of sporadic playing time, Williams is finally utilized near the end of season after a press conference where Petro says " You will see a lot more of Williams ".
If Petro was smart he would read this forum for helpful hints ! :D
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Chuckman wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:39 am
viper wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:47 am

Lately Williams has done a better job of recognizing when to dodge to score and when to dodge to create defensive movement . The offense is also creating seams for Williams to dodge into to get a shot off before slide comes. With Williams and Epstein both being able to dodge to score you would hope it would translate into Marr getting some good looks to put the ball in back of net.

Zinn creates defensive rotation every time he dodges from up top. Hopkins has been missing a downhill Middie that actually draws a slide when dodging from up top all season. How the coaches didnt recognize this is beyond me. Zinn is following the Cole Williams track of a couple years ago. After all season of sporadic playing time, Williams is finally utilized near the end of season after a press conference where Petro says " You will see a lot more of Williams ".
If Petro was smart he would read this forum for helpful hints ! :D
The Pietramala family dog would probably also like him to read this forum.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Chuckman wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:39 am With Williams and Epstein both being able to dodge to score you would hope it would translate into Marr getting some good looks to put the ball in back of net.
I would say Marr has been getting some of these good looks, but he hasn't cashed many of them in. He's in a shooting slump. He did ring the crossbar against PSU and you could see the frustration in his body language. Hopefully "Marr in the 4th quarter against Georgetown last year" makes an appearance in our next game...hopefully our next few games.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Penn State scored 4 times on EMO as well - the box score missed one at the beginning of the second quarter. I also don't think that Epstein picking corners from virtually the same spot on the field 4 times means the EMO unit is "humming" The young man just has a talent for putting the ball in ridiculously tight spaces. I wager Notre Dame either shuts him off and we play 5 on 4 for any EMO or he is certainly not left with time and room at that spot. Then we'll see how good the EMO is - nice pass from Shilling on the Smith EMO goal - need alot more of that.

One thing I have been thinking about with Notre Dame that almost sounds like a good thing but then is problematic because - frankly - of Darby's inability to stop outside shots is that Notre Dame is a majority unassisted goal scoring team - 155 goals - 71 assists - driven alot by Costabile's 37 goals and 3 assists. From what I have observed watching the irish on a couple occasions is there is alot of middie dodging on shortsticks and they are particular about their shots - they have played one less game than Hopkins and have over 100 FEWER shots - their Shot percentage is identical with Hop 29% and the SOG percentage is really on top of each other Hop 59% ND 56%. DARBY HAS TO PLAY WELL - along with a good scheme to support Jones and Hubler
Laxsmitty

Post by Laxsmitty »

I hope Petro pays attention to Darby’s stats because they are horrendous, but I doubt he has the balls to change it now. He doesn’t have the stomach for change. If he did, he’d put in the freshman goalie Gainey. The kid is 6 foot 3 and takes up a lot of the net, and I’ve seen his highlights and during the fall season he looked solid and confident, unlike Darby. As the season has gone on Darby looks less confident and yet Petro keeps singing his praises which makes zero sense. I’d rather take a chance and ride with the better goalie thru the tourney. They cannot keep winning with Darby’s sub-par save ratio. It’s embarrassing and if Petro plans on keeping Darby in net the next few years, I can’t imagine any decent goalie will want to stay at Hopkins and sit on the sidelines with zero opportunity. So the goalie issue will persist unless Petro has the balls to take some risks?
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

If you would have asked me at the end of March, I would have said Darby was showing promise and making demonstrable progress with his overall performance. Since UVA though it seems that teams have figured out that he is weak on long bombs, especially to his off-stick side, and the results have fallen off a cliff through B1G play even has the defense has improved (if only marginally).

At this point you are right Petro is not going to make a change this season.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

Of course I am posting this wonderful song again (1) to get under the skin of the Hopkins Haters and (2) to delight the Hopkins faithful.

I like our chances against ND.

Go Blue!

Chitown wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:34 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:28 pm
Chitown wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:56 pm I really mean that this song "Never Gets Old"

Go Blue!

Chitown wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:45 pm It never gets old !

https://youtu.be/WwrD-fWJbBU

Lets win on Thursday
Isn’t Go Blue a Michigan cheer?
No. :)
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Speaking of goalies, Tim Marcille from Gonzaga is Hop’s only recruit selected for the UA All American game. I expect him to challenge Darby and Gainey for playing time next season.

One key to the Jays’ revival has been improved clearing. 16 for 16 vs. PSU, 18 for 19 vs. UMD (rematch), and 10 for 10 vs. Terps. I would give Darby some credit, but not a lot since he only saved 16 shots in those three games. Those shots that he saved were often picked up on rebounds by his Dmen.

Blake Rodgers, Hop’s only 5 star 2019 recruit, is doing a PG year and is thus not eligible for the UA game. In 2018, when Blake played for Bullis, he did the best job defending Epstein that I had ever witnessed during Joey’s career.
Last edited by Hoponboard on Tue May 07, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:01 pm Speaking of goalies, Tim Marcille from Gonzaga is Hop’s only recruit selected for the UA
All American game. I expect him to challenge Darby and Gainey for playing time next season.

One key to the Jays’ revival has been improved clearing. 16 for 16 vs. PSU, 18 for 19 vs. UMD (rematch), and 10 for 10 vs. Terps. I would give Darby some credit, but not a lot since he only saved 16 shots in those three games. Those shots that he saved were often picked up on rebounds by his Dmen.

Blake Rodgers, Hop’s only 5 star 2019 recruit, is doing a PG year and is thus not eligible for the UA game. In 2018, when Blake played for Bullis, he did the best job defending Epstein that I had ever witnessed during Joey’s career.
They haven't announced all the players yet. Owen Murphy may get selected. But it's definitely a down year for our recruiting if you care about "star power." That should change in 2020.

Rodgers is a stud—big, athletic, super rangy. Should see time at either LSM or close D pretty quickly.

Marcille has extremely quick hands. Very good goalie who has played against top-tier competition. Like Darby, though, he's pretty small. Doesn't fill up much of the cage.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I know a little bit about Marcille - seen him play numerous times. No one - not even Epstein - will outwork him or out study him. He probably possesses tapes of Hopkins games already and unlike us could actually diagnose Petro's formations and packages. He literally is some kind of lacrosse savant. He will be off the charts in Lax IQ and commanding the defense. He probably already is a better keeper in terms of stopping outside shots than a certain someone but the point has already been made that he is short and does not take up much of the cage. Again you will never ever have to worry about whether he is putting the time in - he is putting in double. If he was 3-4 inches taller it would be something to see.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Hi all, so i've heard a rumor around IL, twitter that Ryder Garnsey might play in the Hop ND game???? is that even possible considering he was deemed academically ineligible
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

houndace1 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:42 pm Hi all, so i've heard a rumor around IL, twitter that Ryder Garnsey might play in the Hop ND game???? is that even possible considering he was deemed academically ineligible
I heard the same one...

The one possible thing to look into is did a semester/quarter just end at UND? I will see what I can find. Update: Spring semester officially ends next Monday, so I don't see how his eligibility status would have changed already.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”