Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77

Re: Recruiting

Post by Relax77 »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:03 pm And let me add. Just because I think the other two I mentioned are better players then AS doesn’t mean I don’t think she’s a top player. She is. There’s a ton of really good players in the 2025 year. I guess we’ll see in two years when she goes to UNC of I am wrong. Yes I don’t think she’s going to Syracuse.
Think you missed a couple of posts of mine. Here one.
realitychecks

Post by realitychecks »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:13 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:50 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:07 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:03 pm
Laxfan212 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:28 pm
laxmenow wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:52 pm When my daughter was going through recruiting I developed a list of all the D1 wlax schools, comparing lacrosse ranking with academics (using 25%th percentile test scores as the measure). Any school academically below the best she was likely able to get into without lacrosse, was automatically off the list! I say this only to share experiences amongst parents that might be useful. as an aside, based on club coach feedback regarding level of lacrosse schools showing most interest ahead of 9/1, it helped her narrow in on a handful of most likely's to then really think though.
I’m glad that worked for you and I’m sure it’s a great idea for plenty of others too. A word of caution though - if you’re hoping to get academic merit money (to stack with athletic money), most times that will require attending a school that is below the best your kid could get into without lacrosse - i.e., my kid’s academic stats would make Duke a viable option, but she’d never get money there. But based on published scholarship levels, she’d for sure get a good amount from ASU. For many families this is irrelevant but for plenty it matters a lot.
A perspective I have is Parents say all the time utilize lax to get your kid in a school she otherwise wouldn’t be able to get into. Why? more than likely your kid is going to struggle in that school of it was a struggle to get into a school. That being said my kid doesn’t listen to me so she’ll be excited when Stanford calls Friday. 😁
Now I say Stanford as a joke but for my situation I would love for her to go to a good school where she can get a lot of money. And here’s where the not listening comes. I rather her go to Lehigh. Decent lacrosse. Good school. She’ll play early. Get a lot of money. That’s not happening at Stanford. But unfortunately I get a lot of “you were right dad” and never “ok dad that makes sense, I should look into that.” Always after the fact
Agree with you in principle, however, almost no-one gets academic $$ at Lehigh. Boston U, Umass and Villanova are probably better examples of this.

Plus for underfunded programs like Lehigh, wait till the athletic program hits you up for "expected parental contribution"
Didn’t know that about Lehigh.

Use lacrosse to get you to a school you couldn’t of gotten into with out it
Last edited by realitychecks on Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:26 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:41 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:11 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:50 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:07 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:03 pm
Laxfan212 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:28 pm
laxmenow wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:52 pm When my daughter was going through recruiting I developed a list of all the D1 wlax schools, comparing lacrosse ranking with academics (using 25%th percentile test scores as the measure). Any school academically below the best she was likely able to get into without lacrosse, was automatically off the list! I say this only to share experiences amongst parents that might be useful. as an aside, based on club coach feedback regarding level of lacrosse schools showing most interest ahead of 9/1, it helped her narrow in on a handful of most likely's to then really think though.
I’m glad that worked for you and I’m sure it’s a great idea for plenty of others too. A word of caution though - if you’re hoping to get academic merit money (to stack with athletic money), most times that will require attending a school that is below the best your kid could get into without lacrosse - i.e., my kid’s academic stats would make Duke a viable option, but she’d never get money there. But based on published scholarship levels, she’d for sure get a good amount from ASU. For many families this is irrelevant but for plenty it matters a lot.
A perspective I have is Parents say all the time utilize lax to get your kid in a school she otherwise wouldn’t be able to get into. Why? more than likely your kid is going to struggle in that school of it was a struggle to get into a school. That being said my kid doesn’t listen to me so she’ll be excited when Stanford calls Friday. 😁
Now I say Stanford as a joke but for my situation I would love for her to go to a good school where she can get a lot of money. And here’s where the not listening comes. I rather her go to Lehigh. Decent lacrosse. Good school. She’ll play early. Get a lot of money. That’s not happening at Stanford. But unfortunately I get a lot of “you were right dad” and never “ok dad that makes sense, I should look into that.” Always after the fact
Agree with you in principle, however, almost no-one gets academic $$ at Lehigh. Boston U, Umass and Villanova are probably better examples of this.

Plus for underfunded programs like Lehigh, wait till the athletic program hits you up for "expected parental contribution"
Well good to know about Nova. And what the hell is expected parental contribution.
It's the "suggested" amount that parents donate to the athletic department to support programs which aren't fully funded. You see this at many lower level programs like Patriot League, Northeast conference, etc.

Thank you. Didn’t know that. Something to put in the back of our heads.
''

Add the Ivies to that list ... we were shocked to see what % of Ancient 8 athletic budgets are funded by donations, alumni + parents.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:03 pm And let me add. Just because I think the other two I mentioned are better players then AS doesn’t mean I don’t think she’s a top player. She is. There’s a ton of really good players in the 2025 year. I guess we’ll see in two years when she goes to UNC of I am wrong. Yes I don’t think she’s going to Syracuse.
All of Spallina's kids are going to Cuse. Would be surprised if she breaks the mold. Too bad she cant stay with her Dad's team and help SB do something. I guess other players aren't allowed to leave the island (without hearing about it from him) and play for big teams - but his kid can.
UNC would be interesting. Levy would have to put up with Joe as a parent/Coach. Not sure she would want to put up with that....when she could get a player who might be a better fit...i.e. chemistry.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Back with another recruiting rankings list, this time for the 2020 class. This is a class that just missed out on some seismic changes in the sport. They were the last class to be mostly recruited before the new rules went into effect, as well as the first to not get a COVID year after the previous four classes did. As usual, here are the rankings with some takeaways at the bottom.
Multi-Time AA: Belle Smith, #2, Boston College
Ellie Masera, #10, Stony Brook
AA:Caitlyn Wurzberger, #1, North Carolina
Ashley Humphrey, #4, Stanford
Kristin O’Neill, #9, Penn State
Eloise Clevenger, #17, Maryland
Danielle Pavinelli, #23, Florida
Aubrey Williams, #27, Virginia
Emma Ward, #41 Syracuse
Alyssa Long, #42, North Carolina
Maddie Burns, OTR, Michigan
All-conference: Katie DeSimone, #5, Duke
Sarah Jaques, #6, Stanford
Maggi Hall, #7, Florida
Kayla Abernathy, #8, Penn State
Morgan Schwab, #12, Virginia
Gretchen Gilmore, #14, Penn State
Sophia Wrisk, #15, Maryland/Tampa*
Reilly Casey, #19, North Carolina
Ailish Kelly, #22 Stanford
Katelyn Morgan, #40, James Madison
Kendall Halpern, #44, Northwestern
Madison Waters, #45, USC/Florida
Jaden Hampel, #48, Stony Brook
Sydni Black, OTR, Loyola
Sammy Dupcak, OTR, Penn State
Tatum Geist, OTR, Georgetown
Hayley Hunt, OTR, Stony Brook/Lehigh*
Taylor Lane, OTR, Yale
Jamie Lasda, OTR, Ohio State
Hunter Roman, OTR, Boston College
Maria Themelis, OTR, Penn
Carolyn Thistlewaite, OTR, James Madison
Shelby Tilton, OTR, USC
Jo Torres, OTR, Navy/Towson
Isabelle Vitale, OTR, USC
Multi-year starter: Shannon Smith, #13, North Carolina/Maryland*
Keelin Schlageter, #28, Notre Dame
Devon Whitaker, #30, Virginia
Mackenzie Hoeg, #31, Virginia
Sophie Student, #35, Virginia Tech/North Carolina
Katie Goodale, #36, Syracuse
Regan Alexander, #49, Ohio State
Liz Harrison, OTR, Florida
Anna Palmisano, OTR, Denver
Starter: Andrea Reynolds, #11, Boston College
Aine Maseker, #18, Notre Dame
Maggie Bostain, #20, Virginia
Campbell Case, #26. Johns Hopkins
Jenny Markey, #29, Syracuse
Annabelle Burke, #32, Michigan
Katy Gilbert, OTR, Stanford
Kacy Hogarth, OTR, Maryland*/Virginia
Maddie Joyce, OTR, Brown
Katie Keller, OTR, Duke
Cameron Levine, OTR, Johns Hopkins
Ella Little, OTR, North Carolina/Clemson*
Emily Magalotti, OTR, North Carolina/Ohio State*
Chloe Provenzano, OTR, Harvard
Morgan Smith, OTR, Penn
Natalie Smith, OTR, Syracuse
Contributor: Leah Holmes, #3, Northwestern
Gina-Marie Ricciotti, #24, Harvard
Alanna Wray, #33, Loyola
Kristen Shanahan, #34, Notre Dame
Annabelle Hasselbeck, #38, Boston College
Lexi Edmonds, OTR, Penn
Cam Evitts, OTR, Penn State
Alaina Hamood, OTR, Penn State
Hannah Johnson, OTR, Northwestern
Megan Kielbasa, OTR, Johns Hopkins
Abigail Maichin, OTR, Notre Dame
Olivia Mattis, OTR, James Madison
Ali McHugh, OTR, Notre Dame
Sara Palmisano, OTR, Denver*/Clemson
Kelly Schluederberg, OTR, Florida
Claire Snyder, OTR, Northwestern
Christine Thomas, OTR, Maryland
Takeaways:
-This class has 11 AAs through three years, which is just off the 12 that the class of 2019 did over the same time period
-Depth wise, this top looks to be doing a little better than the 2019 one did at this point. That class had 40 players reach the multi-year starter level and 73 contributors by the end of the first three years. This one has 45 and 78 in the same two categories, respectively
-But like 2019, this class has talent, just not the blinding star power at the top like 2017 or 2018 did.
-Transfers in the top 100 jumped from 5 through their sophomore year to 15 this year. For comparison, the 2019 top 100 saw only nine players who had transferred through their first three years
-Some of them aren't listed here, but Maryland has already seen five players transfer out, while UNC had 3. The three UNC players have made an impact at their new schools. The only Maryland player who has done the same transferred to D2. To me that looks like UNC had talented players that just couldn't see the field, while Maryland mostly whiffed on finding impact players in this class.
-Hard to really find a winner from this class. Penn State seems to have done well. Lot of really good players at a lot of schools.
-And thanks for the positive comments, I appreciate it. And to those who like to criticize these rankings for whatever reason, just remember that there are always going to be a lot of good players who don't end up on this list. It is the same for every sport. It's pretty rare to play a college sport, so no matter what level you end up, you were probably a pretty good player in high school. I'll try to get the 2021 and 2022 list out over the next few days.
laxmenow

Post by laxmenow »

jff, great work once again! Maybe you should wait on the younger classes until they get through at least three (if not four) years of eligibility? Even for strong players, can be hard to step right into starting roles at certain programs …
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Good luck to all of the 2025 (and their parents) tomorrow!!

Don't be discouraged if one of your top schools doesn't want you, if the offer isn't what what you wanted, or if deadlines can change very quickly. As Ted Lasso said, "Be a goldfish"

Remember, this is a fluid process; these will change on a daily and a weekly basis. There is no perfect school or offer; there are tons of great opportunities. The best thing you can do at this point is 1) continue to be persistent 2) listen to you club directors (most of them really have more info) than you and 3) be over prepared for any 1:1 interaction with a coach.

If you get an offer you like where you could see yourself succeeding on or off the field jump at the opportunity!!
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:58 am Good luck to all of the 2025 (and their parents) tomorrow!!

Don't be discouraged if one of your top schools doesn't want you, if the offer isn't what what you wanted, or if deadlines can change very quickly. As Ted Lasso said, "Be a goldfish"

Remember, this is a fluid process; these will change on a daily and a weekly basis. There is no perfect school or offer; there are tons of great opportunities. The best thing you can do at this point is 1) continue to be persistent 2) listen to you club directors (most of them really have more info) than you and 3) be over prepared for any 1:1 interaction with a coach.

If you get an offer you like where you could see yourself succeeding on or off the field jump at the opportunity!!
My advice would be a little different in respect to your point #2, listen to you club directors.

Having been thru the process 3 times, my perspective on club directors are they are in this for themselves and don't really care about the kids in their programs. They want kids committed as soon as possible so they can update their websites with the schools that their girls are committed to. Club directors care about money more than anything else.

All club directors don't fit into this category, but I think most do. So be careful where your club director is pushing you. They may be taking the easy way out because they have good relationships at certain schools, even if these schools are not a good fit for the player.

Just my 2 cents
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Madlax59 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:19 am
All of Spallina's kids are going to Cuse. Would be surprised if she breaks the mold. Too bad she cant stay with her Dad's team and help SB do something. I guess other players aren't allowed to leave the island (without hearing about it from him) and play for big teams - but his kid can.
UNC would be interesting. Levy would have to put up with Joe as a parent/Coach. Not sure she would want to put up with that....when she could get a player who might be a better fit...i.e. chemistry.
Don’t think so. I think it’s UNC or Clemson
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

TNLAX wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:33 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:58 am Good luck to all of the 2025 (and their parents) tomorrow!!

My advice would be a little different in respect to your point #2, listen to you club directors.

Having been thru the process 3 times, my perspective on club directors are they are in this for themselves and don't really care about the kids in their programs. They want kids committed as soon as possible so they can update their websites with the schools that their girls are committed to. Club directors care about money more than anything else.

All club directors don't fit into this category, but I think most do. So be careful where your club director is pushing you. They may be taking the easy way out because they have good relationships at certain schools, even if these schools are not a good fit for the player.

Just my 2 cents
I should have clarified that point a little bit. Club directors can give you real feedback about who likes you and who doesn't. Agree with you point, that club directors may nudge you in a certain direction, but they need to be utilized to understand exactly where you are on a club's list
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:38 pm
2 years ago AS looked like a very special player. She was Humphrey-esque and i think the hype was deserved. But its common knowledge that others caught up with her and had it been another player she would have been dropped a few spots. Her on field production didn't always match her talent level. She's till top 5 IMO. but i think Penczek or Winkler are above her. There are alot of Cuse alumn at IL, plus her dad has connections all over so i can see how coaches/scouts evaluations on her are may be somewhat biased. She's still a great player on her own merrit.

I heard AS was a very strong Cuse lean. Was a lock at one point. But Levy made a strong push. Had her and the whole YJ Spallina crew down for personal camps and work outs. so not impossible she goes UNC. BC is in there too. SB faded. but all signs say CUSE.

Penczek prob Maryland. Alot of the long island girls will be UNC bound. And the Agnes Irwin girls because UNC has a pipeline there.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:09 pm
Relax77 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:38 pm
2 years ago AS looked like a very special player. She was Humphrey-esque and i think the hype was deserved. But its common knowledge that others caught up with her and had it been another player she would have been dropped a few spots. Her on field production didn't always match her talent level. She's till top 5 IMO. but i think Penczek or Winkler are above her. There are alot of Cuse alumn at IL, plus her dad has connections all over so i can see how coaches/scouts evaluations on her are may be somewhat biased. She's still a great player on her own merrit.

I heard AS was a very strong Cuse lean. Was a lock at one point. But Levy made a strong push. Had her and the whole YJ Spallina crew down for personal camps and work outs. so not impossible she goes UNC. BC is in there too. SB faded. but all signs say CUSE.

Penczek prob Maryland. Alot of the long island girls will be UNC bound. And the Agnes Irwin girls because UNC has a pipeline there.

I’d be all in on it not being Syracuse. I see Clemson being the landing spot
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

This is a good debate...you all should throw a wager on it haha! Rumor I heard it was Cuse, UNC, or Clemson. Connections with all 3 schools from what I have heard...good recruiters at all 3 as well. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

flushlax77 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:35 pm This is a good debate...you all should throw a wager on it haha! Rumor I heard it was Cuse, UNC, or Clemson. Connections with all 3 schools from what I have heard...good recruiters at all 3 as well. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Haha...Let me jump in too. I heard UNC or Cuse too...

Bonus I heard Penczek was Maryland or Cuse
UO22

Post by UO22 »

Haha...Let me jump in too. I heard UNC or Cuse too...

[/quote]

Heard this as well. MD was blndsided the past couple of years (23-24 classes) when some of the states top talent went elsewhere. I would imagine they definitely want to keep in state.
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

UO22 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:02 pm Haha...Let me jump in too. I heard UNC or Cuse too...

Heard this as well. MD was blndsided the past couple of years (23-24 classes) when some of the states top talent went elsewhere. I would imagine they definitely want to keep in state.
[/quote]

I will say MD got the best Upstate NY field player in 24 class imo
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

flushlax77 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:35 pm This is a good debate...you all should throw a wager on it haha! Rumor I heard it was Cuse, UNC, or Clemson. Connections with all 3 schools from what I have heard...good recruiters at all 3 as well. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Name it. I got Clemson.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Doesn't she already work with Joe coaching the US team? Granted his daughter isn't in the mix for the US senior team (yet), but they are more familiar with each other than just as D1 coaches and opponents
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

We all know that Gary loved long island girls Particular to the town AS is from at one point I think more than 50% of his team was from LI Kayla maybe not so much She’s been going outside the box I don’t think she has one 2024 from LI
cuse could use her would look good for the whole fam to be in one place I’m voting Clemson as well
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

UO22 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:02 pm Haha...Let me jump in too. I heard UNC or Cuse too...

[/quote]

The Godine recruitment especially..heard she was all but committed to MD and then she didn't..idk the details of that situation or what happened but yeah. She didn't commit until late October mauling over that decision before choosing UNC. MD was left off balance recruiting wise after that. Penczek would be just what they need to try to get back on track, an offensively potent, star level talent

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”