D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxGnome22

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxGnome22 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:50 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:07 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:03 pm
Laxfan212 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:28 pm
laxmenow wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:52 pm When my daughter was going through recruiting I developed a list of all the D1 wlax schools, comparing lacrosse ranking with academics (using 25%th percentile test scores as the measure). Any school academically below the best she was likely able to get into without lacrosse, was automatically off the list! I say this only to share experiences amongst parents that might be useful. as an aside, based on club coach feedback regarding level of lacrosse schools showing most interest ahead of 9/1, it helped her narrow in on a handful of most likely's to then really think though.
I’m glad that worked for you and I’m sure it’s a great idea for plenty of others too. A word of caution though - if you’re hoping to get academic merit money (to stack with athletic money), most times that will require attending a school that is below the best your kid could get into without lacrosse - i.e., my kid’s academic stats would make Duke a viable option, but she’d never get money there. But based on published scholarship levels, she’d for sure get a good amount from ASU. For many families this is irrelevant but for plenty it matters a lot.
A perspective I have is Parents say all the time utilize lax to get your kid in a school she otherwise wouldn’t be able to get into. Why? more than likely your kid is going to struggle in that school of it was a struggle to get into a school. That being said my kid doesn’t listen to me so she’ll be excited when Stanford calls Friday. 😁
Now I say Stanford as a joke but for my situation I would love for her to go to a good school where she can get a lot of money. And here’s where the not listening comes. I rather her go to Lehigh. Decent lacrosse. Good school. She’ll play early. Get a lot of money. That’s not happening at Stanford. But unfortunately I get a lot of “you were right dad” and never “ok dad that makes sense, I should look into that.” Always after the fact
Agree with you in principle, however, almost no-one gets academic $$ at Lehigh. Boston U, Umass and Villanova are probably better examples of this.

Plus for underfunded programs like Lehigh, wait till the athletic program hits you up for "expected parental contribution"
Didn’t know that about Lehigh.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:11 pm
laxmenow wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:52 pm When my daughter was going through recruiting I developed a list of all the D1 wlax schools, comparing lacrosse ranking with academics (using 25%th percentile test scores as the measure). Any school academically below the best she was likely able to get into without lacrosse, was automatically off the list! I say this only to share experiences amongst parents that might be useful. as an aside, based on club coach feedback regarding level of lacrosse schools showing most interest ahead of 9/1, it helped her narrow in on a handful of most likely's to then really think though.
I’m glad that worked for you and I’m sure it’s a great idea for plenty of others too. A word of caution though - if you’re hoping to get academic merit money (to stack with athletic money), most times that will require attending a school that is below the best your kid could get into without lacrosse - i.e., my kid’s academic stats would make Duke a viable option, but she’d never get money there. But based on published scholarship levels, she’d for sure get a good amount from ASU. For many families this is irrelevant but for plenty it matters a lot.
A perspective I have is Parents say all the time utilize lax to get your kid in a school she otherwise wouldn’t be able to get into. Why? more than likely your kid is going to struggle in that school of it was a struggle to get into a school. That being said my kid doesn’t listen to me so she’ll be excited when Stanford calls Friday. 😁
Now I say Stanford as a joke but for my situation I would love for her to go to a good school where she can get a lot of money. And here’s where the not listening comes. I rather her go to Lehigh. Decent lacrosse. Good school. She’ll play early. Get a lot of money. That’s not happening at Stanford. But unfortunately I get a lot of “you were right dad” and never “ok dad that makes sense, I should look into that.” Always after the fact
Agree with you in principle, however, almost no-one gets academic $$ at Lehigh. Boston U, Umass and Villanova are probably better examples of this.

Plus for underfunded programs like Lehigh, wait till the athletic program hits you up for "expected parental contribution"
Well good to know about Nova. And what the hell is expected parental contribution.
When I was referring to money I meant athletic. I was told they share that well. 😁. Nova and BU seem to be on the list so will be interesting to see. But it doesn’t matter. The 15 year old will look for the best lax program and my wife will be saying “it’s her decision.” And then in two years I’ll get. “Dad you were right. “
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:19 pm

Well good to know about Nova. And what the hell is expected parental contribution.
When I was referring to money I meant athletic. I was told they share that well. 😁. Nova and BU seem to be on the list so will be interesting to see. But it doesn’t matter. The 15 year old will look for the best lax program and my wife will be saying “it’s her decision.” And then in two years I’ll get. “Dad you were right. “
Not sure how well funded Lehigh is on athletic money. I know other Patriot league teams that give zero or close to most girls.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

It's the "suggested" amount that parents donate to the athletic department to support programs which aren't fully funded. You see this at many lower level programs like Patriot League, Northeast conference, etc.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

I think if a school like Stanford calls you just go, no overthinking needed.

“you were right dad” Congratulations on getting that :lol:
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

IL dropped their top ten girls for 2025. Some familiar names. This is a case where i agree name recognition influenced the number 1 spot. This will be an interesting class for Syracuse and especially Maryland. some good talent up for grabs because i don't think BC/UNC will be as aggressive as previous classes.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

WLaxdad wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:42 pm
I think if a school like Stanford calls you just go, no overthinking needed.

“you were right dad” Congratulations on getting that :lol:
I get it often. Unfortunately it usually happens after she doesn’t listen to me and disaster strikes.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:37 pm IL dropped their top ten girls for 2025. Some familiar names. This is a case where i agree name recognition influenced the number 1 spot. This will be an interesting class for Syracuse and especially Maryland. some good talent up for grabs because i don't think BC/UNC will be as aggressive as previous classes.
Surprised only one YJS kid on that list. IL gonna be in trouble now with JS. And I agree. It’s name Rec. she’s probdbly #3 on her own team. But with those girls not in the top 10 Apparently IL Women and Lax Mag are seeing things differently with the “evaluation.”
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:41 pm

It's the "suggested" amount that parents donate to the athletic department to support programs which aren't fully funded. You see this at many lower level programs like Patriot League, Northeast conference, etc.
Thank you. Didn’t know that. Something to put in the back of our heads.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Lehigh over Stanford? Stanford fully funded program. School also gives more financial aid. Lehigh great school but without lax, kids admitted to both have probably chosen Stanford 9 out of 10 times. It’s Stanford. The weather is incredible. The campus is insane. Tough to turn down that degree.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:11 pm
Lehigh over Stanford? Stanford fully funded program. School also gives more financial aid. Lehigh great school but without lax, kids admitted to both have probably chosen Stanford 9 out of 10 times. It’s Stanford. The weather is incredible. The campus is insane. Tough to turn down that degree.
Before the Stanford nuts come for me with a pitchfork. That is not what I said or meant. The example of the posts meant if my kid can’t get into Stanford and miraculously playing lax bumped her into getting in, it would be a rough go for someone who isn’t good enough to get into Stanford on her own to play lax at that school and not struggle scholastically. I brought Lehigh into the equation because that is a reality which it says “in my situation.” Where I believe she would get more money, play immediately and be able to handle the academics. No one is comparing the two. So please. Tell the Stanford community I wasn’t besmirching them. I know how they get. 😁
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:37 pm IL dropped their top ten girls for 2025. Some familiar names. This is a case where i agree name recognition influenced the number 1 spot. This will be an interesting class for Syracuse and especially Maryland. some good talent up for grabs because i don't think BC/UNC will be as aggressive as previous classes.
Two points on this:

Several people say that the Spallina girl isn’t even the best player on the team but refuse to say who is better? What context do you have in this remark? Being loosely connected to the club world and being at a few of the major tournament, the Spallina kid was an easy 5-6 points per game.

Maryland spent big last year out of state. It will be interesting to see if they can land the in state talent. I would say the 2nd best goalie, best midfielder, and best defender all reside in the state.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

flushlax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:44 pm
Two points on this:

Several people say that the Spallina girl isn’t even the best player on the team but refuse to say who is better? What context do you have in this remark? Being loosely connected to the club world and being at a few of the major tournament, the Spallina kid was an easy 5-6 points per game.

Maryland spent big last year out of state. It will be interesting to see if they can land the in state talent. I would say the 2nd best goalie, best midfielder, and best defender all reside in the state.
Refuse is a strong word. Not sure if naming kids is what should be going on but ok. Seeing YJ almost every weekend for about two years playing against them in the tourneys I have my opinion. Aubrie is the best player on that team. Total player. Aubrie E and King will have better college careers than AS and it won’t be close. I don’t believe AS is going to do what she did against other 16 year olds on college. She’s not CN. As far as points. Meyn, King, Eisfeld, AS all would get four five points a game. AS when she wasn’t scoring would just sit at x and wait one after another for cutters to cut and get open. It’s an opinion. Everyone is allowed them. Even yours is allowed and noted.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

And let me add. Just because I think the other two I mentioned are better players then AS doesn’t mean I don’t think she’s a top player. She is. There’s a ton of really good players in the 2025 year. I guess we’ll see in two years when she goes to UNC of I am wrong. Yes I don’t think she’s going to Syracuse.
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:54 pm
Two points on this:

Refuse is a strong word. Not sure if naming kids is what should be going on but ok. Seeing YJ almost every weekend for about two years playing against them in the tourneys I have my opinion. Aubrie is the best player on that team. Total player. Aubrie E and King will have better college careers than AS and it won’t be close. I don’t believe AS is going to do what she did against other 16 year olds on college. She’s not CN. As far as points. Meyn, King, Eisfeld, AS all would get four five points a game. AS when she wasn’t scoring would just sit at x and wait one after another for cutters to cut and get open. It’s an opinion. Everyone is allowed them. Even yours is allowed and noted.

Refuse is definitely a strong word. Probably should have gone with “don’t offer other options”. I will say it is very interesting comparing the two different lists behind released over the past couple of days. It just seems like IL doesn’t do the leg work with the women’s side as they do on the men’s side when it comes to recruiting coverage.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

flushlax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:17 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:54 pm
Two points on this:

Refuse is definitely a strong word. Probably should have gone with “don’t offer other options”. I will say it is very interesting comparing the two different lists behind released over the past couple of days. It just seems like IL doesn’t do the leg work with the women’s side as they do on the men’s side when it comes to recruiting coverage.
Much better word. I didn’t add it because I know people frown when names are dropped. The names I dropped were positive so I apologize if anyone gets offended by it. It just seems all these lists are subjective to people watching. We have a difference of opinion it appears and we both watched YJ games. Only people who will get upset about these lists are mad their kids aren’t on it. And I don’t know any coach who is doing their scouting by running through the IL or Lax magazine list. There was 50 coaches a game watching my daughters team this summer. They aren’t looking at some list to make their decision.
realitychecks

Post by realitychecks »

Relax77 pretty easy to see you have an ax to grind. Very well versed on the YJ team while noting you have a daughter at Clemson and a 2025. Also bad form mentioning kids by name Chris.
You trying to disparage a young lady that has been recently named All American plus Inside Lacrosse number 1 recruit is a red flag for you. Like the player or not she gets a positive write up in every event she’s in. Yes I do think opinions are good yours is just too personal. The players you spoke about didn’t crack the top 10 There are great young players in this class enjoy it but most importantly help your kid and don’t ruin her chances. Every coach has their own list and rankings Lacrosse is it’s own worst enemy Be supportive and roll with the punches
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

realitychecks wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:38 pm Relax77 pretty easy to see you have an ax to grind. Very well versed on the YJ team while noting you have a daughter at Clemson and a 2025. Also bad form mentioning kids by name Chris.
You trying to disparage a young lady that has been recently named All American plus Inside Lacrosse number 1 recruit is a red flag for you. Like the player or not she gets a positive write up in every event she’s in. Yes I do think opinions are good yours is just too personal. The players you spoke about didn’t crack the top 10 There are great young players in this class enjoy it but most importantly help your kid and don’t ruin her chances. Every coach has their own list and rankings Lacrosse is it’s own worst enemy Be supportive and roll with the punches
I think you are both right. My two cents —

1) each of the 5 YJ players that were mentioned in this thread are all outstanding and have potential to contribute for top teams.

2) every field player is recruited to be part of a team system/strategy. There are some teams where AS would probably not make an impact. Same could be said for king, meyn, penchak or Dwyer. Just because for instance, spallina may not fit in NWs system or meyn may not fit in Syracuse’s doesn’t make either one of them lesser players.

3) these lists are created to drive website clicks. The people who write them have incentive to be different than other lists. After all, it’s a business

4) out of the ten players on the IL list, if I had to
Guess one which player would make the greatest impact at a top program as a true freshman, it would easily be McKenzie brown. Nothing against anyone else on the list, but her athleticism is already next level. I actually think she can be an even better version of Sammy white.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

realitychecks wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:38 pm Relax77 pretty easy to see you have an ax to grind. Very well versed on the YJ team while noting you have a daughter at Clemson and a 2025. Also bad form mentioning kids by name Chris.
Think you wrong here. A lot. But Never did I have an axe to grind. I actually complemented her and the team. She’s on the #1 team in the country. On Lax magazine there was 6 of them in the top 20. 9 on the list. You don’t think it’s possible for someone to think one of those other kids can be better than the top one without having a axe to grind. Re-lax. Have a cream soda or a sandwich or something.
Last edited by Relax77 on Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

See flushlax77. They get mad when you mention names. Even in a positive light.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”