Athletes Unlimited Season 3

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77

Re: Athletes Unlimited Season 3

Post by Relax77 »

Was never a fan of hers but I am surprised how much North struggles in AU. Maybe struggle is a bad word, but sue I’m definitely doesn’t take over a game in AU where you see other attackers do. would have thought she would’ve came in last year dominating. Not the case. This year is even worse.

Never in this comment does it show that I hate North. It’s true that she does not dominate the au like other players. The problem with North fans is anyone says anything negative about her, they fly off and start calling people haters. I could see that if I said something like. “Hey, at least North doesn’t celebrate like an ass in the AU like she did in college always looking for the cameras.” Now that would be negative. Not what I said.
You pulled stats out of your ass and then get mad that people “fact checked you.” Reread your initial comment and then you’ll probably still not see you were off base. But your comment maybe would’ve been better last week. Because if you watched yesterday’s game, you definitely wouldn’t have made it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:24 am The problem with North fans is anyone says anything negative about her, they fly off and start calling people haters.
Eh--you'll get the same predictable response from any player's fan base nowadays. Not exclusive to North supporters.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:24 am Was never a fan of hers but I am surprised how much North struggles in AU. Maybe struggle is a bad word, but sue I’m definitely doesn’t take over a game in AU where you see other attackers do. would have thought she would’ve came in last year dominating. Not the case. This year is even worse.

Never in this comment does it show that I hate North. It’s true that she does not dominate the au like other players. The problem with North fans is anyone says anything negative about her, they fly off and start calling people haters. I could see that if I said something like. “Hey, at least North doesn’t celebrate like an ass in the AU like she did in college always looking for the cameras.” Now that would be negative. Not what I said.
You pulled stats out of your ass and then get mad that people “fact checked you.” Reread your initial comment and then you’ll probably still not see you were off base. But your comment maybe would’ve been better last week. Because if you watched yesterday’s game, you definitely wouldn’t have made it.
I didn't pull stats out of an orifice -- I just cited facts. Not sure why using statistics is bad in your mind. You will have to enlighten me. I am not "mad" in the slightest about being off by one goal and one season on CN's scoring record. I quickly admitted and corrected my mistake. You have not disputed the overall point which is that she has been and remains one of the best goal scorers in the world.

It is difficult to understand your criticism of North. You say she is struggling, but maybe not struggling. You say she was dominant in college, but doesn't dominate all the time in AU. That is neither a surprise (as I previously explained) nor worthy of a lot of negative energy IMO. Maybe your point is that she was dominant in college, but is now merely the best goal scorer in the league. Okaaaay. Is that really a hot take?

Admittedly, I have not watched all of North's games this season, so I just pulled up the Moreno vs. Apuzzo game on Aug 6 since North faced Apuzzo in that one and folks seem to like comparing the two players. In the first quarter, North was dominant by any objective measure, scoring three goals on three shots in three different ways. On her final goal, Cookie Carr was mic'd up and said: "Charlotte -- that was a sick goal." North played very well for the reminder of the game, scoring a sweet two-point rip in the second half among other good plays. She is clearly a leader and a coach on the field among her teammates. As I said previously, I am also a big fan of Apuzzo, but she was dramatically outplayed by North in this head-to-head meeting. That's not dispositive, since of course every player has good games and bad games. The link is here for anyone who wants to draw their own conclusions: https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/ ... bucketId=2

BTW -- As a word to the wise, smart college coaches these days know that they are recruiting not just an athlete, but her family as well. Spouting off in writing with course language to criticize the #1 most popular women's lacrosse player in the world shows very poor judgment on the cusp of Sept 1. I have firsthand knowledge of Tweets and message board posts negatively affecting people's professional careers and athlete journeys.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Hmm, sounds pretty threatening there Can. If I were you, I would delete that last paragraph pronto.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Can Opener wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:42 am
Relax77 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:24 am Was never a fan of hers but I am surprised how much North struggles in AU. Maybe struggle is a bad word, but sue I’m definitely doesn’t take over a game in AU where you see other attackers do. would have thought she would’ve came in last year dominating. Not the case. This year is even worse.

I didn't pull stats out of an orifice -- I just cited facts. Not sure why using statistics is bad in your mind. You will have to enlighten me. I am not "mad" in the slightest about being off by one goal and one season on CN's scoring record. I quickly admitted and corrected my mistake. You have not disputed the overall point which is that she has been and remains one of the best goal scorers in the world.

It is difficult to understand your criticism of North. You say she is struggling, but maybe not struggling. You say she was dominant in college, but doesn't dominate all the time in AU. That is neither a surprise (as I previously explained) nor worthy of a lot of negative energy IMO. Maybe your point is that she was dominant in college, but is now merely the best goal scorer in the league. Okaaaay. Is that really a hot take?

Admittedly, I have not watched all of North's games this season, so I just pulled up the Moreno vs. Apuzzo game on Aug 6 since North faced Apuzzo in that one and folks seem to like comparing the two players. In the first quarter, North was dominant by any objective measure, scoring three goals on three shots in three different ways. On her final goal, Cookie Carr was mic'd up and said: "Charlotte -- that was a sick goal." North played very well for the reminder of the game, scoring a sweet two-point rip in the second half among other good plays. She is clearly a leader and a coach on the field among her teammates. As I said previously, I am also a big fan of Apuzzo, but she was dramatically outplayed by North in this head-to-head meeting. That's not dispositive, since of course every player has good games and bad games. The link is here for anyone who wants to draw their own conclusions: https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/ ... bucketId=2

BTW -- As a word to the wise, smart college coaches these days know that they are recruiting not just an athlete, but her family as well. Spouting off in writing with course language to criticize the #1 most popular women's lacrosse player in the world shows very poor judgment on the cusp of Sept 1. I have firsthand knowledge of Tweets and message board posts negatively affecting people's professional careers and athlete journeys.
Lmao.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

njbill wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:52 am Hmm, sounds pretty threatening there Can. If I were you, I would delete that last paragraph pronto.
Lucky thing for me my daughter’s last name isn’t Relax77. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:52 am Hmm, sounds pretty threatening there Can. If I were you, I would delete that last paragraph pronto.
You have a lot of experience with lacrosse recruiting cycles. Please let me know if you disagree with anything I wrote. This is a very small community and word travels quickly. Online diatribes often go hand in hand with bad sideline behavior.

To be clear, if you are insinuating that I would do anything to mess up the recruiting cycle for a 17-year-old girl, there is literally nothing that could be further from reality. I have a long track record of supporting young female lacrosse players on this forum and in real life.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:01 pm
Can Opener wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:42 am

Lmao.
You seem to really like the word "a$$." Other than finding an opportunity to inject that term once again into the conversation, did you have something of substance to add to the discussion?
DMac

Post by DMac »

CO, you are an absolutely insufferable, up to your eyeballs CN fan and it blurs your vision, you don't see things objectively when it comes to her. You watched the one game when she went on a tear and scored a few goals (Ohmiller scored six in her last game), you need to watch the rest of the games. She is nowhere near the same threat she was in the college game, the type of D allowed and no shooting space call really cramps her style and she is contained if not shut down (Waters shut her down with physicality and stick checks). You are not going to get anything from Charlotte beyond a scoring threat whereas with several other players you get complete players and I'll say again, she hasn't been picked first by any Captain, and they're looking for the players who can help their team(s) the most.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Can Opener wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:02 pm
You have a lot of experience with lacrosse recruiting cycles. Please let me know if you disagree with anything I wrote. This is a very small community and word travels quickly. Online diatribes often go hand in hand with bad sideline behavior.

To be clear, if you are insinuating that I would do anything to mess up the recruiting cycle for a 17-year-old girl, there is literally nothing that could be further from reality. I have a long track record of supporting young female lacrosse players on this forum and in real life.
CO, you have every right to be a rabid CN fan, to go overboard and even be irrational at times. You have the right to criticize other players, e.g., Ortega, who you think may stand in North’s way of an award or, this year, Scane because you wanted Medjid to win the Tewaaraton. That’s all part of the rough and tumble of debating sports these days.

But you have a double standard. You consider at least some (a lot?) of the criticism of North to be trashing or bad mouthing or hating on her. No, the opinions and criticism are fair game since she has a very high profile in the sport (two- time Tewy winner, professional athlete, played for the national team, ESPN commentator (and a good one)).

When you say something critical or negative about other athletes, are you trashing or bad mouthing or hating on them? No, I don’t think you are. The same standard should apply to opinions about CN.

Where I draw the line with you – and you have heard this before – is your evident need to personally attack posters (me being an example) when they disagree with your opinions about North.

Today you suggested to a poster that they may have already compromised their daughter’s recruiting chances because you think they have shown “very poor judgment” in posting some things that (and this is a fair inference from what you wrote) could lead a college coach to not give an offer to their daughter she otherwise might have received. I think that is a disgusting thing to say. That is why I suggested you delete it.

I frankly think some of your posts may embarrass North. If she were my daughter, I would contact you and ask you to take it down a notch and to dispense with the mindless adoration and defense of everything and anything that could be perceived to be critical.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Almost scared to post this with September 1 coming up soon but CN has 11 shots in the first half. Most of them forces. 😬
DMac

Post by DMac »

Am having big time teevee problems, Relax, might be someone here tomorrow, might be Tuesday too. Bummed beyond bummed.
Need an occasional update if you would, please.
See CN was down to 26 on the leader board last I looked.....must say most of the ten I listed that I'd pick before her were all ahead of her too. Multi-facetted players who are more than just a scoring threat.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Much better shooting the third when she didn’t force everything
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:53 pm Almost scared to post this with September 1 coming up soon but CN has 11 shots in the first half. Most of them forces. 😬
Clearly when they talk about how many goals she scores in a season and she gets lauded as a top scorer they do not take into consideration how many actual shots she is taking….
In 2022 she was 31/84 with a 37% shooting percentage
2023 she’s 32/99 with a 32% percentage
The hype machine will keep churning but to me those aren’t numbers you salivate over ….
Shellax

Post by Shellax »

by DMac » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:18 pm
Am having big time teevee problems, Relax, might be someone here tomorrow, might be Tuesday too. Bummed beyond bummed.
Need an occasional update if you would, please.
See CN was down to 26 on the leader board last I looked.....must say most of the ten I listed that I'd pick before her were all ahead of her too. Multi-facetted players who are more than just a scoring threat.

Try streaming to a p/c or tablet?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, thanks, it's all a mystery. Going to have to watch it on replay.
See T Apuzzo won pretty big over T Mareno....took all the points
too.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Madlax59 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:50 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:53 pm Almost scared to post this with September 1 coming up soon but CN has 11 shots in the first half. Most of them forces. 😬
Clearly when they talk about how many goals she scores in a season and she gets lauded as a top scorer they do not take into consideration how many actual shots she is taking….
In 2022 she was 31/84 with a 37% shooting percentage
2023 she’s 32/99 with a 32% percentage
The hype machine will keep churning but to me those aren’t numbers you salivate over ….
Among the top 10 scorers in the league, CN ranked 4th in shooting percentage. When you factor in her 2-point goals (points scored/shots), her shooting percentage climbs to 37.3% which ranks her second, just behind Katie O'Donnell who shot 37.5%. When someone criticizes CN's shooting percentage, you have to add the context of the quality of players she is facing, the altered rules and how others have performed relative to the athlete you are criticizing. If this were the NCAA, 37.3% shooting would not be good. In this league, it is .2% away from being the best. I also tried to explain this last year when CN ranked near the top of the league in shooting percentage back then. The numbers are here if you want to play around with them: https://auprosports.com/lacrosse/stats/

So North finished the season with the following accolades:
* First in goals scored
* First in 2-point goals scored
* First in total points (27 1-pointers + 5 2-pointers + 7 assists = 44 points)
* Lowest turnover/goals ratio in the league
* Tied for 5th in assists

North is human and has flaws as an athlete. There are many things that other players do better than her. Apuzzo, for example, is obviously elite on the ride. One of the best of all time. CN is not that.

Where North is absolutely elite is in dodging and scoring. Plus her outside rip is top 5%. That's her game. As someone here once wrote (not me), if she's a one-trick pony, that's a pretty good trick. This round of anti-North silliness started with criticism that she is not dominant the way she was in college. She was #1 in scoring in college, on the US team, in last year's AU, and now this year's AU. You can dislike her because she is not elite at GBs or CTOs -- fair enough -- but it is not fair for folks to say that we have witnessed a significant drop-off in her performance. She is really flippin' good at dodging and scoring. Always has been. Are some of her numbers lower due to the competition and rules? Of course. Again, you have to analyze her performance on a relative scale.

I apologize to being overly sensitive on this subject in general, but it is very tiresome. No other player has received 1/10th of the criticism North has on these boards. I have defended her vigorously for years. Sometimes too vigorously. If sticking up for a wonderful person, role model and lacrosse player makes me a bad guy, I can live with that. I would much rather be on the side of defending a young female athlete than piling onto a heap of relentless criticism. That's just me. Along the way, I have always tried to apply analysis, facts and video links to back up my defense. That's more my nerdy style, but I understand that many folks online like to share their gut instincts. Hey, that's cool. If you don't like noise, don't buy a house next to the airport.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Lowest turnover to goals ratio? :lol: Aren’t you the same guy who gave me grief when I mentioned the assists to shots ratio?

She scores the most goals, in part, because she takes the most shots. Can, you have her stats back to middle school. Tell me if she was ever on a team where she didn’t take the most shots.

Edit. Just looked at the stats. Assuming they are complete (don’t know), then North finished 17th in total points. I’m not a big fan of this point system, but apparently it is intended to value the total player. Is North the 17th best player in the league? I would put her higher than that. Arguably top 10.
Last edited by njbill on Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:34 pm Much better shooting the third when she didn’t force everything
You are good to acknowledge that. I think it is fair to say that North's performance in the third quarter today was dominant. She racked up 4 goals (5 points) in a 7-minute span on 4-for-4 shooting. She was very physical and absorbed several tough checks. That run turned the game around for her team. I am sincerely not trying to poke the bear, but would you agree with that assessment?
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:42 pm Lowest turnover to goals ratio? :lol: Aren’t you the same guy who gave me grief when I mentioned the assists to shots ratio?

She scores the most goals, in part, because she takes the most shots. Can, you have her stats back to middle school. Tell me if she was ever on a team where she didn’t take the most shots.
Yeah, yeah. I was pretty sure you'd recall that A/SH ratio discussion. Touche. My point is simply that for someone who handles the ball as much as she does and who is as aggressive as she is dodging into traffic and the "dirty places," she has a surprisingly low number of turnovers. Fair point?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”