Big 10

D1 Womens Lacrosse
watcherinthewoods

Re: Big 10

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Madlax59 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:23 pm
Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:47 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:52 pm
Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:43 pm I’m interested in seeing the NU ride vs. UNC transition. And how the ref’s call the contact.
This is a working theory but I think contact might be called a little closer when it’s more one-sided (as opposed to when to physical teams play each other like SBU & NU)
Totally agree. I did not see the Michigan game last night but saw posted that UM drew 3 straight yellows in a very small time frame. With player safety front and center, I wonder if it will factor in. What were the circumstances of the yellow cards on Michigan? Trying to match NU’s physical play early?
As good as NU is how come they never seem to have a "lock down D". This year is better than the past but I feel like its always all about the O for Northwestern
Uh, KAH?
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Any chance MD can pull an upset over NU? MD appears to be playing better. My concern is that MD never seems to game plan on D to stop the opposing teams best player. To have any chance at all you need defense, draw and goalie to have great days
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Lax101 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:23 am Any chance MD can pull an upset over NU? MD appears to be playing better. My concern is that MD never seems to game plan on D to stop the opposing teams best player. To have any chance at all you need defense, draw and goalie to have great days
Pretty slim imo. Their defense was pretty good in the first matchup, and Scane only had one goal on nine shots. Issue as it's been all year for MD is their offense runs hot and cold. They need to play confident on that end and not timid. Leubecker played in the first half last night but didn't see much action after they got out to a big lead, so hopefully she's ready for tomorrow. Even if she's not scoring, her dodging ability keeps defenses honest and opens things up for other players. At the draw, Ahearn has been very good but Northwestern has had the Terps number there in recent years. So if the defense can do what it did last game while the offense and draw improve, they have a chance. But that's a lot to ask for a team that's been inconsistent all year.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

jff97 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:11 am
Lax101 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:23 am Any chance MD can pull an upset over NU? MD appears to be playing better. My concern is that MD never seems to game plan on D to stop the opposing teams best player. To have any chance at all you need defense, draw and goalie to have great days
Pretty slim imo. Their defense was pretty good in the first matchup, and Scane only had one goal on nine shots. Issue as it's been all year for MD is their offense runs hot and cold. They need to play confident on that end and not timid. Leubecker played in the first half last night but didn't see much action after they got out to a big lead, so hopefully she's ready for tomorrow. Even if she's not scoring, her dodging ability keeps defenses honest and opens things up for other players. At the draw, Ahearn has been very good but Northwestern has had the Terps number there in recent years. So if the defense can do what it did last game while the offense and draw improve, they have a chance. But that's a lot to ask for a team that's been inconsistent all year.
To beat NU, you need to play a full game start to finish, which they have not done well all year. Last night was a great first half, but just average second. UMD does have a chance but I’d be shocked if they win. NU wants that BIG10 title and UMD just doesn’t have that drive this year.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

user1020 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:35 pm
jff97 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:11 am
To beat NU, you need to play a full game start to finish, which they have not done well all year. Last night was a great first half, but just average second. UMD does have a chance but I’d be shocked if they win. NU wants that BIG10 title and UMD just doesn’t have that drive this year.
Pretty much a mirror image of the first game. Close first half before Northwestern wore them down in the second half. They're just the better team and have more talent across the board. Once Northwestern went up a few goals, it looked like Maryland started to press and take some bad shots. Once again, you'll take holding a team below its average in goals and winning the draw control battle after losing it the last game. But the Terps offense is way too anemic for them to compete for a full 60 minutes.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Apparently, for the first time in seven seasons, the Big Ten Defender of the Year is from a program other than Defender U.

Good job, Meghan Ball.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Big Congrats! This elite, multi All American defender was originally committed to Michigan as a HS sophomore and was released when Hannah Nielson took over. I can't imagine, after seeing her play, that they ever even watched film of her. Her size, speed, and skillset are so obvious. My guess is Nielson would like a do over on that one.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

ultravisitor wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:48 am Apparently, for the first time in seven seasons, the Big Ten Defender of the Year is from a program other than Defender U.

Good job, Meghan Ball.
But it’s ….defender U….how is that possible no defender from Maryland ?? #sarcasm

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”