NCAA Selection Discussion - Containment Thread

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: NCAA Selection Discussion - Containment Thread

Post by wgdsr »

Ice1570 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:00 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:36 pm You're likely right about that:
The NCAA's transformation committee, which has been tasked with modernizing college sports and improving the student-athlete experience, recommended in January to broaden access to Division I championships by allowing more teams to participate in those events. ... The transformation committee advised the NCAA to raise that to 25% in every team sport
https://sports.yahoo.com/is-bigger-bett ... 26270.html

25% of 76 D1 teams = 19

My opinion:

The 25% recommendation is for sports that 200+ schools sponsoring the sport. Not lacrosse.
there will likely be a sport by sport "management committee" that will either decide on expansion or make recommmendations to be ruled on.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 983365002/
the push is for larger tournaments and "giving" more to athletes. it'll be expanding inside 1-2 years. imo.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1766 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:20 pm There is a higher likelihood of the NCAA shrinking the tournament than expanding it.
what do you base this on?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The same person who leaked the tournament field to him
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:15 pm The same person who leaked the tournament field to him
He goes by Deep Throat
ExLax

Post by ExLax »

ADMIN: please kill this negative / stupid thread
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

1766 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:20 pm There is a higher likelihood of the NCAA shrinking the tournament than expanding it.
There is not.
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

Seems like Yale was last in and Penn or Denver was first out. It's academic now, but here is the side by side of these 3 teams:

Yale
RPI - 9
Top 5 wins - 0
Top 6-10 wins - 2
Top 11-15 wins - 0
Top 16-20 wins - 2
Wins v. teams in the tourney - 1
Head to head in the group - beat Denver, lost to Penn
Bad loss - none

Denver
RPI - 10
Top 5 wins - 0
Top 6-10 wins - 0
Top 11-15 wins - 1
Top 16-20 wins - 3
Wins v. teams in the tourney - 1
Head to head in the group - lost to Yale
Bad loss - Air Force (#25 RPI)

Penn
RPI - 11
Top 5 wins - 1
Top 6-10 wins - 1
Top 11-15 wins - 1
Top 16 -20 wins - 0
Wins v teams in the tourney - 2
Head to head in the group - Beat Yale
Bad loss - Brown (#32)

Did they get it right?
Probably so.

What did Committee prioritize?
Committee seems to have prioritized RPI (Yale) over wins versus top teams (Penn) and head to head (Penn). It is interesting as Laxreference has posted before saying that last year for seeding and for selection the Committee weighed H2H and wins v top teams over RPI, especially at the last in space. That said, the Committee may have found the 9 to 11 RPI difference too big to go to top wins and H2H to settle.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:32 pm
Final RPI top 16 from https://pro.lacrossereference.com/rpi-d ... ifospeivmd

rpi-final.jpg
When I see that list, and see all the teams with five+ losses, I'm reminded what a great year it's been for D1 lacrosse.

And this NCAA tournament is going to be great.
Homesick for Ann Arbor ? ;)
old salt

Post by old salt »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:59 pm
old salt wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:42 pm To maximize QF attendance, UVA, MD, JHU & Gtown all need to be in the Annapolis QF bracket.
Nope. Either Hop or the Terps have to go to Albany.

I conclude the committee does not take QF attendance into account (unlike the committee in hockey). They shoulda flipped JHU and PSU at 5 and 6 ...
MD & JHU are the biggest potential attendance draw for the Annapolis QF.
If they advance past the first round, they'll both play in the Annapolis QF against different opponents.

http://cdn.assets.insidelacrosse.com/do ... t_2023.pdf
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:03 am

rpi-final.jpg
When I see that list, and see all the teams with five+ losses, I'm reminded what a great year it's been for D1 lacrosse.

A little bit, yes, thank you for asking! Pretty proud to see where Conry and the players have taken the program.

Still remember talking to coach Paul about his big plans 20 or so years ago. Someone needs to buy that man a dram.

And thank you to Coach Pietramala and Hopkins for playing in Ann Arbor all those years ago to help support Coach Paul's vision.

Hopkins has ALWAYS been there to help spread the sport....as much as it pains me as a lifelong Syracuse fan, a tip of the hat to Hopkins to help show donors "what might be" in Ann Arbor when it comes to lacrosse. They have a share in this, if you ask me. (and I know no one is asking)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:30 am

rpi-final.jpg

A little bit, yes, thank you for asking! Pretty proud to see where Conry and the players have taken the program.

Still remember talking to coach Paul about his big plans 20 or so years ago. Someone needs to buy that man a dram.

And thank you to Coach Pietramala and Hopkins for playing in Ann Arbor all those years ago to help support Coach Paul's vision.

Hopkins has ALWAYS been there to help spread the sport....as much as it pains me as a lifelong Syracuse fan, a tip of the hat to Hopkins to help show donors "what might be" in Ann Arbor when it comes to lacrosse. They have a share in this, if you ask me. (and I know no one is asking)
That’s a very gracious compliment to both the Michigan and Hopkins programs. Thank you.

By the way, I think the future is looking pretty bright for the Orange.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Bluecollar wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:52 pm Seems like Yale was last in and Penn or Denver was first out. It's academic now, but here is the side by side of these 3 teams:
This Terry Foy style analysis is incomplete. There is nothing in the official criteria that says to ignore losses to the top 20 and ignore wins against the 21+.

Against the top 10, Yale was 2-2, Denver 0-4, Penn 2-3.

We could dissect it further, but that seems to me to be decisive.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

a fan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:30 am Still remember talking to coach Paul about his big plans 20 or so years ago. Someone needs to buy that man a dram.
During today's Ivy final, Quint and Carc (who actually did need something else to talk about since the game in front of them was a complete blow-out) talked a fair amount about Michigan's success this year, and mentioned Paul several times as the person who started and guided the program through its early years, and who deserved significant credit for the current success.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

CU77 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:53 am
a fan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:30 am Still remember talking to coach Paul about his big plans 20 or so years ago. Someone needs to buy that man a dram.
During today's Ivy final, Quint and Carc (who actually did need something else to talk about since the game in front of them was a complete blow-out) talked a fair amount about Michigan's success this year, and mentioned Paul several times as the person who started and guided the program through its early years, and who deserved significant credit for the current success.
Yes, and although I have no knowledge of the issues involved in Conry's hiring, seeing Paul's continued involvement, his stepping aside as HC shows that he and the admin handled the change in a class manner.
Ice1570

Post by Ice1570 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:45 pm
The NCAA's transformation committee, which has been tasked with modernizing college sports and improving the student-athlete experience, recommended in January to broaden access to Division I championships by allowing more teams to participate in those events. ... The transformation committee advised the NCAA to raise that to 25% in every team sport

25% of 76 D1 teams = 19

My opinion:

The 25% recommendation is for sports that 200+ schools sponsoring the sport. Not lacrosse.
there will likely be a sport by sport "management committee" that will either decide on expansion or make recommmendations to be ruled on.
the push is for larger tournaments and "giving" more to athletes. it'll be expanding inside 1-2 years. imo.

It’s right in the first bullet point of the article you attached regarding the 200+ schools sponsoring. Not happening with lacrosse.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

rpi-final.jpg

Similarly, Richie Moran scheduled a home and home series in 1990 and 1991 Cornell-Notre Dame to help grow the sport in South Bend.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Ice1570 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:36 am
wgdsr wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:45 pm

25% of 76 D1 teams = 19

My opinion:

It’s right in the first bullet point of the article you attached regarding the 200+ schools sponsoring. Not happening with lacrosse.
read past the first bullet point.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Interesting that Georgetown was the only AQ to get a seed. Not surprising but interesting. Clearly points to the strength of the ACC, BIG10 and obviously the Michigan and Princeton wins allowed non AQs to deservingly get home games.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

laxfan1313 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:33 am

rpi-final.jpg

Similarly, Richie Moran scheduled a home and home series in 1990 and 1991 Cornell-Notre Dame to help grow the sport in South Bend.
There used to be a guaranteed invitation for a "West" team which I remember benefiting ND and OSU. (1) Was that a formal rule, or an wink and a nod? (2) When was that eliminated?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:33 am
laxfan1313 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:33 am

rpi-final.jpg

There used to be a guaranteed invitation for a "West" team which I remember benefiting ND and OSU. (1) Was that a formal rule, or an wink and a nod? (2) When was that eliminated?
Think it was a de facto AQ for the GWLL. League shut down in 2006 I believe.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”