The Hate Directed at the LGBTQ+

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: The Hate Directed at the LGBTQ+

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:52 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:23 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:16 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:17 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:12 am We should go back to redlining... according to some...
... I am sure you know that Baltimore had it's own "Berlin Wall". It was erected in 1930 and lasted until a few weeks ago. Separating the good white folks living to the west of Hillen Road from the black college kids attending Morgan State.
Yes, I do know.
And I know that Blacks and Jews were not allowed into Roland Park, Guilford, Homeland etc, by ordinance.

The first family "of color" in that area was in the early '60's when a Chinese-American professor was recruited from Stanford to Hopkins and was turned away from Guilford...Hopkins muckety mucks got on the horn and 'arranged' for the color barrier to broken for that family. His son was a classmate at Calvert School, one of the very first ever admitted, then Gilman, then Hopkins...he holds 70 patents in eye surgery, genetics, etc, top of the field. All 3 children attended Hopkins, played tennis intercollegiately, all very successful..
Another case…. https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ori ... story.html
Note that in 1966, he could not even consider Roland Park, Guilford, Homeland etc.

The Hoffberger family is Jewish, related to the Blausteins and Rosenbergs.
He wouldn't have been allowed into Roland Park either in the 50's...
... a number of the Orioles would work for Hoffberger in the offseason as salesmen for Natty Boh. Met many of them as my cousin by marriage was a Natty Boh salesman the same age as the players. The good old days. One of them, Dave McNally, filed suit to break the reserve clause. Had lots of dinners with Dave at my cousin's house.
This world is really small when you get outside a small circle.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:52 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:23 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:16 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:17 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:12 am We should go back to redlining... according to some...
... I am sure you know that Baltimore had it's own "Berlin Wall". It was erected in 1930 and lasted until a few weeks ago. Separating the good white folks living to the west of Hillen Road from the black college kids attending Morgan State.
Yes, I do know.
And I know that Blacks and Jews were not allowed into Roland Park, Guilford, Homeland etc, by ordinance.

The first family "of color" in that area was in the early '60's when a Chinese-American professor was recruited from Stanford to Hopkins and was turned away from Guilford...Hopkins muckety mucks got on the horn and 'arranged' for the color barrier to broken for that family. His son was a classmate at Calvert School, one of the very first ever admitted, then Gilman, then Hopkins...he holds 70 patents in eye surgery, genetics, etc, top of the field. All 3 children attended Hopkins, played tennis intercollegiately, all very successful..
Another case…. https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ori ... story.html
Note that in 1966, he could not even consider Roland Park, Guilford, Homeland etc.

The Hoffberger family is Jewish, related to the Blausteins and Rosenbergs.
He wouldn't have been allowed into Roland Park either in the 50's...
... a number of the Orioles would work for Hoffberger in the offseason as salesmen for Natty Boh. Met many of them as my cousin by marriage was a Natty Boh salesman the same age as the players. The good old days. One of them, Dave McNally, filed suit to break the reserve clause. Had lots of dinners with Dave at my cousin's house.
We knew a bunch of them as well, though more Colts. The days of these guys needing to work off-season was quite different. Head of marketing and sales at National, Dawson Farber, was a friend of my dad's, also was chair of BD, if I recall correctly, of Gilman in my middle school years...pushed for diversity at Gilman, supporting Reddy Finney. One of his sons was a regular joiner of our hunting trips on Eastern Shore. Packed his own shells. My dad was impressed that when he was just an 8th grader and I was 7th, he brought a rasher of bacon as a contribution to the vittles...unasked.

But even as my son grew up, we knew the Ripkens, Bordicks, and more recently Stover, and now Tucker...through school, coaching various sports etc.

It was thrill to find myself a couple of years ago, pre-Covid, standing next to Brooks Robinson at the bar for a birthday event for a Rosenberg. My idol, I played 3rd in my little league.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:41 pm But even as my son grew up, we knew...... more recently Stover
Any idea what his son (Jacob) is doing these days? My son played with him on a select team and they became good friends and then got disconnected as life took over. Had the chance to sit down and chat with Matt for quite awhile.....good dude with a value added company for pro sports players.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:09 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:41 pm But even as my son grew up, we knew...... more recently Stover
Any idea what his son (Jacob) is doing these days? My son played with him on a select team and they became good friends and then got disconnected as life took over. Had the chance to sit down and chat with Matt for quite awhile.....good dude with a value added company for pro sports players.
I don't know either.
Out of touch for a few years.
Typical Lax Dad

Do you know if he or his wife was involved in athletic training? I believe I ran into her a couple of times doing laundry at a hotel near Mercer County NJ….there for a lacrosse tournament.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:50 am
Do you know if he or his wife was involved in athletic training? I believe I ran into her a couple of times doing laundry at a hotel near Mercer County NJ….there for a lacrosse tournament.
Not aware, but I do know that Jacob mentored a youngster who I knew who is now a tender on the Hopkins team. Matt used to play chauffeur...
old salt

Post by old salt »

A-B is still waiting for the rebound.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/the ... 6-percent/

‘There’s No Game Plan’: Bud Light Sales Collapse amid Backlash to Dylan Mulvaney Campaign

In-store sales of Bud Light dropped 26 percent in the final week of April following consumer pushback in the wake of the company’s decision to partner with transgender social-media personality Dylan Mulvaney.

Figures released by Bump Williams Consulting, a firm that specializes in the alcohol beverage market, found Bud Light sales have progressively slumped throughout the month of April. In the second week of the month, they were down 11 percent and plummeted 21 percent the following week.

Overall sales are now reportedly down 8 percent on the year, jeopardizing parent company Anheuser-Busch InBev’s position as the market leader.

“I think it runs the risk of losing that No. 1 position at the end of calendar year 2023 to Modelo Especial,” Bump Williams, the market research company chief, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Monday.

In early April, Bud Light sent Mulvaney decorative cans of beer featuring the influencer’s face as part of a promotion paired with March Madness. Alissa Heinerscheid, Bud Light’s recent marketing manager, was the brain behind the scheme and sought to rejuvenate the brand by “shifting the tone.”

“It means having a campaign that’s truly inclusive and feels lighter and brighter and different and appeals to women and to men. And representation is sort of at the heart of evolution.”

The company has defended the partnership as part of a broader campaign to attract new customers.

“Anheuser-Busch works with hundreds of influencers across our brands as one of many ways to authentically connect with audiences across various demographics. From time to time we produce unique commemorative cans for fans and for brand influencers, like Dylan Mulvaney,” a spokesperson for Anheuser-Busch told the Post-Dispatch on Monday.

Heinerscheid’s “big miss was I don’t think she understood who the core Bud Light shopper was. When she came out with her comments, they were deemed as being derogatory, insulting and juvenile. And the Bud Light drinkers said ‘Enough of that,’” Williams told the Post-Dispatch.

The sponsorship deal also left many frustrated with the company’s embrace of identity politics.

Kid Rock, the musician, filmed a video of him shooting a bunch of Bud Light cans. “Let me say something to all of you and be as clear and concise as possible,” the singer says before loading a firearm and emptying the entire magazine into three boxes of Bud Light.

According to the marketing executive, sales have increased for Bud Light competitors — namely, Miller Lite and Coors Light — amid the controversy.

“Right now their compass is completely broken. There’s no game plan,” Williams concluded.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Austin Killips: Transgender cyclist wins UCI event

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/65456752.amp

Austin Killips has become the first transgender athlete to win a UCI women's stage race at the Tour of the Gila in New Mexico.
The 27-year-old American won stage five on Sunday to clinch the overall title, plus the 'Queen of the Mountains' jersey for best climber.
The 27-year-old American won stage five on Sunday to clinch the overall title, plus the 'Queen of the Mountains' jersey for best climber.
Killips, a transgender woman, thanked fellow riders for their support after "a week of nonsense on the internet", but her win has reignited the debate over transgender athletes competing in female events. American three-time Olympian Inga Thompson said the UCI - cycling's global governing body - was "killing off women's cycling".
Killips - who started racing in 2019 and also competes in cyclocross - finished eight seconds ahead of Mexican rider Marcela Prieto on stage five, and topped the general classification by one minute and 29 seconds.
The UCI's transgender policy had been under review after being brought into the spotlight by British rider Emily Bridges, one of cycling's most high-profile transgender competitors.
Its current policy differs from those of other international governing bodies, such as World Athletics and World Aquatics (previously called Fina), which have banned transgender women from competing in the female category at international events.
Last year, British Cycling said transgender women were no longer able to compete at elite female events it ran after the organisation suspended its current policy.
Thompson told the Telegraph she expected Killips to "potentially go on" to compete in the Tour de France Femmes and the Paris Olympics, adding that "...women are just quietly walking away. They think, 'Why bother, if it's not fair?'".
Canada's Olympic silver medallist Alison Sydor also criticised Killips' participation, saying it was "no different functionally than doping".
The Tour of the Gila is a UCI class 2.2 race - the lowest ranked UCI class - in New Mexico and has a total prize purse of $35,350 (£28,365), equal for both the men's and women's races.
In a statement, the Tour of the Gila said it "recognises the passionate debate regarding rider eligibility and classifications of riders set by UCI and USA Cycling and encourages UCI and USA Cycling to host an open discussion on the matter"
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:14 am A-B is still waiting for the rebound.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/the ... 6-percent/

‘There’s No Game Plan’: Bud Light Sales Collapse amid Backlash to Dylan Mulvaney Campaign

In-store sales of Bud Light dropped 26 percent in the final week of April following consumer pushback in the wake of the company’s decision to partner with transgender social-media personality Dylan Mulvaney.

Figures released by Bump Williams Consulting, a firm that specializes in the alcohol beverage market, found Bud Light sales have progressively slumped throughout the month of April. In the second week of the month, they were down 11 percent and plummeted 21 percent the following week.

Overall sales are now reportedly down 8 percent on the year, jeopardizing parent company Anheuser-Busch InBev’s position as the market leader.

“I think it runs the risk of losing that No. 1 position at the end of calendar year 2023 to Modelo Especial,” Bump Williams, the market research company chief, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Monday.

In early April, Bud Light sent Mulvaney decorative cans of beer featuring the influencer’s face as part of a promotion paired with March Madness. Alissa Heinerscheid, Bud Light’s recent marketing manager, was the brain behind the scheme and sought to rejuvenate the brand by “shifting the tone.”

“It means having a campaign that’s truly inclusive and feels lighter and brighter and different and appeals to women and to men. And representation is sort of at the heart of evolution.”

The company has defended the partnership as part of a broader campaign to attract new customers.

“Anheuser-Busch works with hundreds of influencers across our brands as one of many ways to authentically connect with audiences across various demographics. From time to time we produce unique commemorative cans for fans and for brand influencers, like Dylan Mulvaney,” a spokesperson for Anheuser-Busch told the Post-Dispatch on Monday.

Heinerscheid’s “big miss was I don’t think she understood who the core Bud Light shopper was. When she came out with her comments, they were deemed as being derogatory, insulting and juvenile. And the Bud Light drinkers said ‘Enough of that,’” Williams told the Post-Dispatch.

The sponsorship deal also left many frustrated with the company’s embrace of identity politics.

Kid Rock, the musician, filmed a video of him shooting a bunch of Bud Light cans. “Let me say something to all of you and be as clear and concise as possible,” the singer says before loading a firearm and emptying the entire magazine into three boxes of Bud Light.

According to the marketing executive, sales have increased for Bud Light competitors — namely, Miller Lite and Coors Light — amid the controversy.

“Right now their compass is completely broken. There’s no game plan,” Williams concluded.
Thanks
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

As earlier noted, Anheuser Busch has been mismanaging the controversy from the get-go, and may not get a rebound in the next years after the controversy. Or may, if they manage to get it right.

IMO, they did not make a mistake in having this influencer do a piece, but they should have been prepared for and leaned into the backlash in order to get the brand benefits of opening up to a younger consumer base with values consistent with the young adult consumer.

They're still fumbling around. But it's early days...they may find their footing an 'lean in' yet.

But other organizations, which were caught unprepared for a social controversy, have successfully weathered the initial storm and rebounded to ever greater prosperity. Look at the NFL after the backlash about abuse of women...record #'s of female fans when the NFL leaned into the problem. Look at the NFL after initially fumbling the BLM and kneeling backlash (I recall several posters on here predicting the shrinkage of the NFL's fanbase), yet tremendous fan attendance and prosperity for the league just a few years later, largely because they leaned in, rather than away from, the issues of social justice.

Dick's was more intentional and the benefits came faster because they were prepared and leaned in from day one. Pundits predicted their demise, but they thrived in response to consumers 'getting it' that their values were with their consumer families and employees not the small group of individuals who want to shoot AR-15's, sometimes in mass shootings of...children...buy your assault weapons at the specialty gun store, folks.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:14 am As earlier noted, Anheuser Busch has been mismanaging the controversy from the get-go, and may not get a rebound in the next years after the controversy. Or may, if they manage to get it right.

IMO, they did not make a mistake in having this influencer do a piece, but they should have been prepared for and leaned into the backlash in order to get the brand benefits of opening up to a younger consumer base with values consistent with the young adult consumer.

They're still fumbling around. But it's early days...they may find their footing an 'lean in' yet.

But other organizations, which were caught unprepared for a social controversy, have successfully weathered the initial storm and rebounded to ever greater prosperity. Look at the NFL after the backlash about abuse of women...record #'s of female fans when the NFL leaned into the problem. Look at the NFL after initially fumbling the BLM and kneeling backlash (I recall several posters on here predicting the shrinkage of the NFL's fanbase), yet tremendous fan attendance and prosperity for the league just a few years later, largely because they leaned in, rather than away from, the issues of social justice.

Dick's was more intentional and the benefits came faster because they were prepared and leaned in from day one. Pundits predicted their demise, but they thrived in response to consumers 'getting it' that their values were with their consumer families and employees not the small group of individuals who want to shoot AR-15's, sometimes in mass shootings of...children...buy your assault weapons at the specialty gun store, folks.
Our local Walgreens stopped selling cancer sticks about a year ago. Maybe the nation needs to limit the sale of tobacco to specialty cigarette stores? What kills more Americans every year MD, cigarettes or AR15s? How much revenue do the feds and the states make from the taxes paid on tobacco? :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:23 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:14 am As earlier noted, Anheuser Busch has been mismanaging the controversy from the get-go, and may not get a rebound in the next years after the controversy. Or may, if they manage to get it right.

Our local Walgreens stopped selling cancer sticks about a year ago. Maybe the nation needs to limit the sale of tobacco to specialty cigarette stores? What kills more Americans every year MD, cigarettes or AR15s? How much revenue do the feds and the states make from the taxes paid on tobacco? :roll:
CVS stopped in 2014. Became CVS Health. Revenue keeps growing despite the loss of a high margin, high revenue component of prior sales.

I don't think Walgreens has yet dropped cigarettes nationally, though they are under pressure to do so. Might want to double check that one.

Target and Walmart still sell cigarettes.

Not all grocers do, but many do.

Most cigarettes get sold at convenience stores, where they represent 35% of in-store sales and in 2020 the tobacco industry spent $7.2 billion in point of sales support at convenience stores.

At least they're behind the counter, need to request them and need to show proof of age.

High taxes on cigarettes have two benefits. 1) the higher cost of the product does dampen demand considerably, that's worked well. 2) it partially funds the healthcare costs driven by the use of cigarettes and not otherwise covered by private insurance.

Want to look at an even higher cost to health outcomes and chronic disease spend in America? Added sugar...sodas, candy, etc...not behind the counter, indeed candy displayed at counter at level, particularly at eye level with children.

Land of the free...and addicted.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:06 am

CVS stopped in 2014. Became CVS Health. Revenue keeps growing despite the loss of a high margin, high revenue component of prior sales.

I don't think Walgreens has yet dropped cigarettes nationally, though they are under pressure to do so. Might want to double check that one.

Most cigarettes get sold at convenience stores, where they represent 35% of in-store sales and in 2020 the tobacco industry spent $7.2 billion in point of sales support at convenience stores.

At least they're behind the counter, need to request them and need to show proof of age.

High taxes on cigarettes have two benefits. 1) the higher cost of the product does dampen demand considerably, that's worked well. 2) it partially funds the healthcare costs driven by the use of cigarettes and not otherwise covered by private insurance.

Want to look at an even higher cost to health outcomes and chronic disease spend in America? Added sugar...sodas, candy, etc...not behind the counter, indeed candy displayed at counter at level, particularly at eye level with children.

The Walgreens where my wife and I shop don't sell cancer sticks anymore. As a matter of fact they don't sell any tobacco products. My question to you still stands. How much $$$$$$$ does state, federal and local governments rake in from the sale of tobacco products? How many Americans die each year due to complications from smoking? Why have we as a compassionate nation not banned smoking yet??
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:27 am

The Walgreens where my wife and I shop don't sell cancer sticks anymore. As a matter of fact they don't sell any tobacco products. My question to you still stands. How much $$$$$$$ does state, federal and local governments rake in from the sale of tobacco products? How many Americans die each year due to complications from smoking? Why have we as a compassionate nation not banned smoking yet??
"Freedom", cradle, freedom and addiction.

The economic tradeoffs don't answer your question, as the cost to society in healthcare and lost productivity don't get matched by tax revenues. They cost more than tax revenue. Way, way more...like 50X.

Tax revenues are little over $12 billion...down from $15.5 billion in 2010 as cigarette usage drops from earlier levels. Federal taxes were raised 158% in 2009 and federal tax revenues increased 129%. Price to consumer was only increased 22%, but that spurred an 11% drop in sales....and it has continued downward ever since.

The public costs of smoking are over $600 billion in the US.
https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statis ... tures.html

States have widely divergent taxes on cigarettes:
https://www.cdc.gov/statesystem/factshe ... New%20York.

Guess where public health costs are highest per capita from cigarette usage?

and then there's added sugar.
Typical Lax Dad

Anyone introduced any legislation to ban all guns? You actually believe that is possible in this country?
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:54 am

"Freedom", cradle, freedom and addiction.

The economic tradeoffs don't answer your question, as the cost to society in healthcare and lost productivity don't get matched by tax revenues. They cost more than tax revenue. Way, way more...like 50X.

Tax revenues are little over $12 billion...down from $15.5 billion in 2010 as cigarette usage drops from earlier levels. Federal taxes were raised 158% in 2009 and federal tax revenues increased 129%. Price to consumer was only increased 22%, but that spurred an 11% drop in sales....and it has continued downward ever since.

The public costs of smoking are over $600 billion in the US.
https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statis ... tures.html

States have widely divergent taxes on cigarettes:
https://www.cdc.gov/statesystem/factshe ... New%20York.

Guess where public health costs are highest per capita from cigarette usage?

and then there's added sugar.
Hmm. The Southland Corporation comes to mind.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Who knew....eating greens as a child could mean you are trans.

https://twitter.com/greg_price11/status ... 84916?s=20
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:11 pm Who knew....eating greens as a child could mean you are trans.

Some people are idiots, that's for certain.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:38 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:11 pm Who knew....eating greens as a child could mean you are trans.

But....we are told to listen to the parents and allow them to make choices on gender assignment.
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:34 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:38 pm

But....we are told to listen to the parents and allow them to make choices on gender assignment.
and which books to ban...

Return to “POLITICS”