Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by 10stone5 »

“ Jets, with the 23rd selection the Jets pick
Ken O’Brien “

(instead of Dan Marino)

At least they didn’t pick Todd Blackledge.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:47 pm “ Jets, with the 23rd selection the Jets pick
Ken O’Brien “

(instead of Dan Marino)

At least they didn’t pick Todd Blackledge.
I liked O’Brien, not Marino obviously but still he wasn’t bad. (Liked Tony Eason too on those 80s Pats teams). Problem was the D line did more steroids than the entire roster for Vince McMahons 1980s WWF and it caught up with them.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

Interesting out of conference weekend for the IVY, tough teams everywhere in the country and you really need to bring your best to walk away with a "W". That said, what are the outlooks for H2H matchups? No clear front runner and no clear back end team?

Should be awesome!
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

camskidamski wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:52 am Interesting out of conference weekend for the IVY, tough teams everywhere in the country and you really need to bring your best to walk away with a "W". That said, what are the outlooks for H2H matchups? No clear front runner and no clear back end team?

Should be awesome!
Going to be a dog fight for that Ivy tourney crown. Starting to feel like that's the only path to the NCAA tourney for any of these teams. With an ugly OCC record so far and Ivy play taking up most of the remaining schedule, there are not may chances to boost the resume.
Cornell has Army, Dartmouth has UNC and Brown gets a shot at Villanova. That's about it for quality out of conference opponents.

I know it's still early, but from 5 bids to 1 (maybe 2) - what a difference a year makes.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

drunkmonkey30 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:59 pm
camskidamski wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:52 am Interesting out of conference weekend for the IVY, tough teams everywhere in the country and you really need to bring your best to walk away with a "W". That said, what are the outlooks for H2H matchups? No clear front runner and no clear back end team?

Should be awesome!
Going to be a dog fight for that Ivy tourney crown. Starting to feel like that's the only path to the NCAA tourney for any of these teams. With an ugly OCC record so far and Ivy play taking up most of the remaining schedule, there are not may chances to boost the resume.
Cornell has Army, Dartmouth has UNC and Brown gets a shot at Villanova. That's about it for quality out of conference opponents.

I know it's still early, but from 5 bids to 1 (maybe 2) - what a difference a year makes.
Actually, it was 6 bids. Cornell, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Harvard and Brown all made it last year
It will be at least 2 bids this year.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

drunkmonkey30 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:59 pm I know it's still early, but from 5 bids to 1 (maybe 2) - what a difference a year makes.
Just ask the ACC, who went from 5 to 1 last year...
The real beast

Post by The real beast »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:45 pm
FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:23 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:37 pm
ICGrad wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:09 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:54 am ... can scrape three bids. (Scrape two bids?! :o )
I mean, look at the ACC last year. The dearth of quality OOC wins at this point may well mean that the Ivies are a one-bid league.
That's entirely possible.
Ivies have a few more shots, but there's a lot to overcome at this point.

Happens and no one should whine about it (unlike some did last year).
Hopefully, unlike last year, two boyish ESPN pundits won't stake their reputations this year on a non-AQ team getting in if they win certain games. And no, Notre Dame's success this year doesn't mean they were right; it's a new year, with a lot of changes, including two players on the Irish roster who were key members of Yale's 2018 national championship squad.

Last year, the Big 10 got three teams in. This year, Hop, Michigan and especially Penn State look improved, so that conference could pick up a bid or two (maybe three?).

Last year, the ACC was a one-bid conference, and that will definitely change; three seems a likely minimum.

So if those conferences pick up a combined four bids, maybe all of those reduce the number of Ivy slots and we're down to two. Somehow, I can't imagine Quark and Kint howling in protest if Penn finishes strong, passes the eye test with flying colors, but doesn't win the ILT and therefore doesn't make the dance.
Your last paragraph is the analogy to ND last season. If an Ivy team like Penn or Princeton that lost its key OOC games gets hot and goes 6-0 or 5-1 in the conference and then loses in the ILT and does not get a bid, that would replicate ND's season last year. I seriously doubt the ESPN fanboys would complain if an Ivy team is left out as compared to the ACC/Big 10. And I don't think you'd see the Ivy League fans complain for a full year if that happens. Definitely a terrible day for the Ivy League yesterday.
Classic ivy ivory tower. “We totally won’t complain”. This post is a preemptive complaint. Guess the writings on the wall
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

The real beast wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:44 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:45 pm
FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:23 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:37 pm
ICGrad wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:09 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:54 am ... can scrape three bids. (Scrape two bids?! :o )
I mean, look at the ACC last year. The dearth of quality OOC wins at this point may well mean that the Ivies are a one-bid league.
That's entirely possible.
Ivies have a few more shots, but there's a lot to overcome at this point.

Happens and no one should whine about it (unlike some did last year).
Hopefully, unlike last year, two boyish ESPN pundits won't stake their reputations this year on a non-AQ team getting in if they win certain games. And no, Notre Dame's success this year doesn't mean they were right; it's a new year, with a lot of changes, including two players on the Irish roster who were key members of Yale's 2018 national championship squad.

Last year, the Big 10 got three teams in. This year, Hop, Michigan and especially Penn State look improved, so that conference could pick up a bid or two (maybe three?).

Last year, the ACC was a one-bid conference, and that will definitely change; three seems a likely minimum.

So if those conferences pick up a combined four bids, maybe all of those reduce the number of Ivy slots and we're down to two. Somehow, I can't imagine Quark and Kint howling in protest if Penn finishes strong, passes the eye test with flying colors, but doesn't win the ILT and therefore doesn't make the dance.
Your last paragraph is the analogy to ND last season. If an Ivy team like Penn or Princeton that lost its key OOC games gets hot and goes 6-0 or 5-1 in the conference and then loses in the ILT and does not get a bid, that would replicate ND's season last year. I seriously doubt the ESPN fanboys would complain if an Ivy team is left out as compared to the ACC/Big 10. And I don't think you'd see the Ivy League fans complain for a full year if that happens. Definitely a terrible day for the Ivy League yesterday.
Classic ivy ivory tower. “We totally won’t complain”. This post is a preemptive complaint. Guess the writings on the wall
A lot of season left. Last year, ND's wins came over teams with a combined win/loss record of 36-50. Duke was 11-6 and ND beat them twice. Like ND last season, these teams will have a chance to get some good wins. Whether they capitalize on it remains to be seen. You have to beat good teams.... if not you are subject to being on the bubble. My motto is "don't be a bubble team"....get some quality win(s).
“I wish you would!”
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

The blatant Ivy love is ridiculous. Penn loses to go 2-3 and drops 1 spot in the media poll with a wins over Gtown who just re-entered the top 20 and St Joe's who has dropped out. Even more absurd is Princeton who dropped 3 spots after a third loss in a row, with wins over Manhattan and Monmouth. Let me say that again, they have two wins over Manhattan and Monmouth and are still ranked. If either of these teams played in the CAA, Big East, Patriot or any other league with the exact same schedule and record they would have dropped out last week let alone this week.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

https://ivyleague.com/news/2023/3/13/pe ... onors.aspx

No surprise that Emmett Paradine of Dartmouth gets Rookie of the Week. I thought that he might sweep and take both ROW and POW (as I believe CJ Kirst did at least once last year), but the Ivy decided to spread the love to another Emmet, namely Penn goalie Emmett Carroll. I guess one win from two games is enough for the sage Ivy arbiters.

HONOR ROLL
Michael Gianforcaro, Princeton
Matt Brandau, Yale
Sam Handley, Penn
Brad Sharp, Yale
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:35 pm The blatant Ivy love is ridiculous. Penn loses to go 2-3 and drops 1 spot in the media poll with a wins over Gtown who just re-entered the top 20 and St Joe's who has dropped out. Even more absurd is Princeton who dropped 3 spots after a third loss in a row, with wins over Manhattan and Monmouth. Let me say that again, they have two wins over Manhattan and Monmouth and are still ranked. If either of these teams played in the CAA, Big East, Patriot or any other league with the exact same schedule and record they would have dropped out last week let alone this week.
Hard to argue against this, though I would say rather than "blatant Ivy love," it's a stubborn inability to let go of preseason expectations. In other words, I think the Ivies are usually on the wrong end of this equation (along with the Patriot League, Big East, etc). This year, expectations were so sky high coming in because of last year's exceptional showing that some pollsters are either too slow to adjust to realities as they unfold or too stubborn to do so.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:35 pm The blatant Ivy love is ridiculous. Penn loses to go 2-3 and drops 1 spot in the media poll with a wins over Gtown who just re-entered the top 20 and St Joe's who has dropped out. Even more absurd is Princeton who dropped 3 spots after a third loss in a row, with wins over Manhattan and Monmouth. Let me say that again, they have two wins over Manhattan and Monmouth and are still ranked. If either of these teams played in the CAA, Big East, Patriot or any other league with the exact same schedule and record they would have dropped out last week let alone this week.
What this guy said ^

Have any of these pollsters actually seen Princeton play this year? Let’s just say that they need a lot of work. Offense is brutal.
Typical Lax Dad

Henpecked wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:26 pm
What this guy said ^

Have any of these pollsters actually seen Princeton play this year? Let’s just say that they need a lot of work. Offense is brutal.
Princeton’s offensive efficiency is ranked 15. Should be better. Man up isn’t very good and shooting percentage needs to pick up, which should, if players revert to their career averages.
“I wish you would!”
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:33 pm
What this guy said ^

Princeton’s offensive efficiency is ranked 15. Should be better. Man up isn’t very good and shooting percentage needs to pick up, which should, if players revert to their career averages.
Offensive efficiency is helped by hanging 22 on Monmouth. They looked sick against Maryland and Georgetown. Even Manhattan for a half.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a 1 bid league this year, as the ACC and Ivy's have virtually swapped OOC performance from last year. But that makes the league competition even more meaningful, and attaining a spot in the Ivy tournament will be an absolute dog fight.

Big weekend coming up with Cornell at Yale, Harvard at Brown and Princeton at Penn. The heavyweight battle is the Cornell/Yale game, but I am finding it incredibly difficult to predict a winner for each of these games. How does Cornell respond to the loss? Is Yale's defense up to speed yet? Harvard and Brown both took it on the chin this past weekend, can they get themselves back on track? As for Penn/Princeton, the only good offensive effort I have seen from Penn was the St. Joe's game. I'd favor Princeton in this one.
Typical Lax Dad

Henpecked wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:39 pm
What this guy said ^

Offensive efficiency is helped by hanging 22 on Monmouth. They looked sick against Maryland and Georgetown. Even Manhattan for a half.
Is that the measurement? Goals scored? Anyway, the offense needs to improve. Brown scored 22 against Vermont. Their efficiency is lower. Princeton isn’t getting enough possessions. GBs down despite being 50% at FO.
“I wish you would!”
molo

Post by molo »

I’m about the least traditional guy you’ll ever meet, but this year we’re basically seeing a return to an Ivy tradition of good but not great as a conference. The return to form by the ACC and Big Ten will make it difficult for more than a couple of Ivy teams to make the NCAAT.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:59 pm
Henpecked wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:39 pm
What this guy said ^

Is that the measurement? Goals scored? Anyway, the offense needs to improve. Brown scored 22 against Vermont. Their efficiency is lower. Princeton isn’t getting enough possessions. GBs down despite being 50% at FO.
I probably don’t have to explain this to you. Princeton has a cumulative offensive efficiency of 29.5%. Their offensive efficiency versus Monmouth was 44%. Against Maryland it was 15.2%. Against Georgetown it was 24.4. So Yes, their offensive efficiency was inarguably helped by scoring 22 goals against Monmouth.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:41 pm https://ivyleague.com/news/2023/3/13/pe ... onors.aspx

No surprise that Emmett Paradine of Dartmouth gets Rookie of the Week. I thought that he might sweep and take both ROW and POW (as I believe CJ Kirst did at least once last year), but the Ivy decided to spread the love to another Emmet, namely Penn goalie Emmett Carroll. I guess one win from two games is enough for the sage Ivy arbiters.

HONOR ROLL
Michael Gianforcaro, Princeton
Matt Brandau, Yale
Sam Handley, Penn
Brad Sharp, Yale
Well, now that we have been enlightened as two how the process works, it seems like most SIDs were being honest in nominating the best performers. I thought that Cornell SID might give a shout out to Chayse Ierland for the Honor Role.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:04 pm
drunkmonkey30 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:59 pm

Should be awesome!

Actually, it was 6 bids. Cornell, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Harvard and Brown all made it last year
It will be at least 2 bids this year.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
The Ivies still have a lot of talent on board from last year. The teams, generally, need to tighten things up a bit with fewer turnovers and more thoughtful offensive possessions.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”