Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by CU77 »

drunkmonkey30 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:22 am wow, what a schedule - 4 mid week games! do you think the team spent 2 days in New England after the Yale game (4/27) to play at Dartmouth (4/30)? if not, that's a lot of bussing!!
Don't know on the travel. Yes, mid-week games used to be a more regular thing!

Also, IIRC, there was a scheduled game on March 19 between defending DII champ Hobart and DI champ Cornell that got canceled because there was 6 inches of ice on Schoellkopf ...
CU77

Post by CU77 »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:15 am The April 16th John's Hopkins game , in which I attended with about 15 of my TKE fraternity brothers and a keg of PBR , is still to this day the greatest lacrosse game I ever witnessed. Devastated in the 1st half with the Jay's killing us and over the top joy and celebration with the comeback win to keep the STREAK alive. It took about 3 days to recover from that game.
That game was immortalized by Leroy Neiman:

https://www.mutualart.com/Artwork/La-Cr ... 5C8990F92D
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

CU77 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:37 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:15 am The April 16th John's Hopkins game , in which I attended with about 15 of my TKE fraternity brothers and a keg of PBR , is still to this day the greatest lacrosse game I ever witnessed. Devastated in the 1st half with the Jay's killing us and over the top joy and celebration with the comeback win to keep the STREAK alive. It took about 3 days to recover from that game.

I wanna say Mackasey in goal, #10 of course is the immortal Eamon Macaneany, #42 is Kane, and #26 I am going to guess is Rietenbach? Weird picture actually as what would Eamon be doing in the defensive zone near Danny?
That day, I will never forget was about 75-80 degrees, glorious sunshine on the Kopf, and about 5000 spectators. Our Keg barely made it to halftime as we handed out beers to anyone who wanted one. It's memories like these that make my Cornell experience so special.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:53 pm
I wanna say Mackasey in goal, #10 of course is the immortal Eamon Macaneany, #42 is Kane, and #26 I am going to guess is Rietenbach? Weird picture actually as what would Eamon be doing in the defensive zone near Danny?
That day, I will never forget was about 75-80 degrees, glorious sunshine on the Kopf, and about 5000 spectators. Our Keg barely made it to halftime as we handed out beers to anyone who wanted one. It's memories like these that make my Cornell experience so special.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Expressionist painters like Leroy Neiman have felt free to depict things as they see fit rather than as they actually saw them. Eamon probably never was back in defense.
Your reminiscences remind me of some lacrosse games I attended as a kid growing up in a college town!
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Filling in some blanks:
I believe #26 is Gary Malm one of the tri captains in '77. For JHU #7 in Michael O'Neil, guessing that 34 is Greenberg and 9 is DeSimone. Neiman's artistic license is exhibited as the stick lengths are not accurate and depicts more of a moving mural than an actual moment in time during the game.
Bringing in a beer barrel? That atmosphere no longer exists in today's game, you're lucky to sneak a couple of sips from a Solo Cup in the parking lot.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I was also at that game, of course. Neiman was there on the sideline by the bench, wearing his trademark white suit and hat, with his easel set up and painting in real time. His lady companion was by his side, looking on adoringly. It was quite the event.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CU77 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:17 pm I was also at that game, of course. Neiman was there on the sideline by the bench, wearing his trademark white suit and hat, with his easel set up and painting in real time. His lady companion was by his side, looking on adoringly. It was quite the event.
I don't know if I'm supposed to say this on International Women's Day, but his companion was dressed extremely well for the sidelines of a lacrosse game.
Last edited by faircornell on Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxpert wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:58 pm Filling in some blanks:
I believe #26 is Gary Malm one of the tri captains in '77. For JHU #7 in Michael O'Neil, guessing that 34 is Greenberg and 9 is DeSimone. Neiman's artistic license is exhibited as the stick lengths are not accurate and depicts more of a moving mural than an actual moment in time during the game.
Bringing in a beer barrel? That atmosphere no longer exists in today's game, you're lucky to sneak a couple of sips from a Solo Cup in the parking lot.
It was weird back then. A couple of my frat brothers were carrying the Keg and expected to be stopped and all the guy at the gate in the back of Schoelkopf basically said was can I see some ID, as our Cornell ID got us in for free, so they pulled out their ID to show they were 18 (of course the drinking age back then was 18), and the attendant said "enjoy the game". It was just accepted back then and was part of the atmosphere that made going to any outdoor sporting event in college that much more fun.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

I was at that game with my dad, who played lax at Dartmouth (1948-51). Growing up in Syracuse, and bleeding Green, we would travel to Ithaca in the Fall when Dartmouth played football away at Cornell - usually a pleasant result with noticeably more W's than L's for the Big Green. We've always been a pretty good thorn in Cornell's football side. One such game there were streakers. Gosh I miss the 70's!

In springtime, the dialogue flipped, and we'd travel to Kopf to catch the nation's premier program (sorry/not sorry Hop!) in action. We also did the same heading to Geneva regularly to watch Hobart dismantle whomever. That spring '77 game vs. Hop was a CHARGED atmosphere. I'm surprised the stated crowd was only 5,000. We'd always sit on the innovative crescent side - good for soaking up rays. Intriguing to learn Neiman was present.

The final thing happening during that time was Roy Simmons Jr. building the incoming juggernaut that would be the Orange which came to prominence as the 80's took flight. Watching games at Coyne Field, standing room and the North hill, was just awesome.

It was great as a kid to have first-hand access to the hero's and legends of the game!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:38 pm

I was at that game with my dad, who played lax at Dartmouth (1948-51). Growing up in Syracuse, and bleeding Green, we would travel to Ithaca in the Fall when Dartmouth played football away at Cornell - usually a pleasant result with noticeably more W's than L's for the Big Green. We've always been a pretty good thorn in Cornell's football side. One such game there were streakers. Gosh I miss the 70's!

In springtime, the dialogue flipped, and we'd travel to Kopf to catch the nation's premier program (sorry/not sorry Hop!) in action. We also did the same heading to Geneva regularly to watch Hobart dismantle whomever. That spring '77 game vs. Hop was a CHARGED atmosphere. I'm surprised the stated crowd was only 5,000. We'd always sit on the innovative crescent side - good for soaking up rays. Intriguing to learn Neiman was present.

The final thing happening during that time was Roy Simmons Jr. building the incoming juggernaut that would be the Orange which came to prominence as the 80's took flight. Watching games at Coyne Field, standing room and the North hill, was just awesome.

It was great as a kid to have first-hand access to the hero's and legends of the game!
Wasn't your coach during my time at Cornell, Bob Blackman, who I think later on actually coached at Cornell?
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:00 pm
It was weird back then. A couple of my frat brothers were carrying the Keg and expected to be stopped and all the guy at the gate in the back of Schoelkopf basically said was can I see some ID, as our Cornell ID got us in for free, so they pulled out their ID to show they were 18 (of course the drinking age back then was 18), and the attendant said "enjoy the game". It was just accepted back then and was part of the atmosphere that made going to any outdoor sporting event in college that much more fun.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
I attended Cornell in the late 70s -early 80s and was in a fraternity and we never had an issue bringing a beer ball into Schoelkopf for a football or lax game.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:44 pm

Wasn't your coach during my time at Cornell, Bob Blackman, who I think later on actually coached at Cornell?
Gobigred
Joewillie78
He had his halcyon days at Dartmouth - 1955-70 Then got tapped to coach Big Ten football at Illinois which was mid level success. Late 70's back to the Ivy's at Cornell. There is an article somewhere talking about Dartmouth football in the 60's and early 70's under Blackman being "the Boise State" of that era. When the 1970 Big Green went undefeated 9-0 and smoked all comers with a defense that shut out 6 teams and a dynamic "O" that put up big numbers, Joe Paterno at Penn State bitched about Dartmouth winning the Lambert Trophy, signifying football supremacy in the east. He challenged Dartmouth to play a game, and Blackman replied by saying Ivy League teams were not allowed to, but if they were he'd select an opponent with a better record than Penn State's 7-3. Dartmouth ended up the year ranked 14th in both major polls, the last time an Ivy League football team has been ranked. That year's 10-0 win at Yale was called by one sportswriter as "the most lopsided 10-0 victory in football history".

Okay...enough thread drift!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I went to that 1970 Dartmouth - Penn game at Franklin Field,
my friend’s uncle was Dartmouth so he got tickets.
This game was to close out the undefeated 1970 season.
What I recall is, that Dartmouth team was a machine.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Unimaginable today but the norm in the days of yore.
A student at Bart probably could have paid for his tuition
from funds accumulated by picking up empty beer cans from
under at the bleachers at the Boz back then.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:54 pm

Gobigred
Joewillie78
He had his halcyon days at Dartmouth - 1955-70 Then got tapped to coach Big Ten football at Illinois which was mid level success. Late 70's back to the Ivy's at Cornell. There is an article somewhere talking about Dartmouth football in the 60's and early 70's under Blackman being "the Boise State" of that era. When the 1970 Big Green went undefeated 9-0 and smoked all comers with a defense that shut out 6 teams and a dynamic "O" that put up big numbers, Joe Paterno at Penn State bitched about Dartmouth winning the Lambert Trophy, signifying football supremacy in the east. He challenged Dartmouth to play a game, and Blackman replied by saying Ivy League teams were not allowed to, but if they were he'd select an opponent with a better record than Penn State's 7-3. Dartmouth ended up the year ranked 14th in both major polls, the last time an Ivy League football team has been ranked. That year's 10-0 win at Yale was called by one sportswriter as "the most lopsided 10-0 victory in football history".

Actually, in 1971, Cornell & Dartmouth football were in the top 20 Division 1 before the Cornell-Dartmouth game. Dartmouth beat the Big Red 24-14 with Ed Marinaro at tailback for Cornell and the Big Green finished in the top 20. Cornell & Dartmouth tied for the Ivy Title with 1 loss. I don't recall which Ivy defeated Dartmouth.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:59 pm I went to that 1970 Dartmouth - Penn game at Franklin Field,
my friend’s uncle was Dartmouth so he got tickets.
This game was to close out the undefeated 1970 season.
What I recall is, that Dartmouth team was a machine.
28-0 in front of 42,000 fans. Philadelphia Eagles played there last season there in 1970. 1955-70 it was Eagles home field.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

CU77 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:17 pm I was also at that game, of course. Neiman was there on the sideline by the bench, wearing his trademark white suit and hat, with his easel set up and painting in real time. His lady companion was by his side, looking on adoringly. It was quite the event.
Here's a photo of my print of the Neiman painting. Eamon autographed it for me back in the day but his signature has faded unfortunately. The original was owned for a long time by Bill Brine, Sr. Sometime after 9/11, Mr. Brine conveyed it to Eamon's widow Bonnie.
EamonLeroy.jpg
EamonLeroy.jpg (133.36 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:14 pm
b1w7o9y7h wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:54 pm

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Actually, in 1971, Cornell & Dartmouth football were in the top 20 Division 1 before the Cornell-Dartmouth game. Dartmouth beat the Big Red 24-14 with Ed Marinaro at tailback for Cornell and the Big Green finished in the top 20. Cornell & Dartmouth tied for the Ivy Title with 1 loss. I don't recall which Ivy defeated Dartmouth.
Runner up for the Heisman and a heck of an actor!

Lost a squeaker at…..aaaaa….Columbia!
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:18 pm
Here's a photo of my print of the Neiman painting. Eamon autographed it for me back in the day but his signature has faded unfortunately. The original was owned for a long time by Bill Brine, Sr. Sometime after 9/11, Mr. Brine conveyed it to Eamon's widow Bonnie. EamonLeroy.jpg
Thank you. Really neat anecdote. RIP, Wild Irish Rose…
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Chousnake wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:52 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:00 pm
Gobigred
Joewillie78
I attended Cornell in the late 70s -early 80s and was in a fraternity and we never had an issue bringing a beer ball into Schoelkopf for a football or lax game.
Did they still have the Wednesday night special on North Campus at the Noyes Lodge where you got 4 Old Vienna minis for $1? We used to go up there with like 10bucks to all our names and buy as many as we could afford.
Gobigred
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”