Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
VeryRustyRed

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by VeryRustyRed »

As referenced in an IL article today, the final score was not at all indicative of Cornell's dominance over Ohio State.
I was quite surprised that for all intents and purposes, Ohio State did not try to ride Cornell's clearing game. Certainly, there was no hard ride. I have no idea whether Penn State utilizes a hard ride, but we can definitely expect it from Yale. Think the 4th quarter of what turned to out to be a "nail biter" win over Yale last season at Schoellkopf. And the loss to Yale in the Ivy League Tournament last May at Brown.

Yale's 10 man ride was extremely effective. And surprisingly, it was not handled well by Cornell - even the second time around. In fact, in the game at Brown, I recall Cornell even resorting to full field "shots" to clear...but more out of desperation than as a weapon.

As I commented last season, Yale uses its own wrinkle on the 10 man ride. Rather than engaging the goalie and one or two poles running parallel, all six of their offensive players (riding players) fall back to a cross-section of the field, starting at about the 40+ yard line. This means if Ierlan (or a pole) walks upfield from the crease with the ball, no one from Yale engages him. But this leaves six Yale defenders in a relatively tight window for Ierlan to pass to. Even if he threads the needle and connects with a Cornell player upfield, the player was almost always immediately trapped by two Yale players. Bottom line - whoever starts the clear for Cornell in its defensive zone, either Ierlan or a pole, has to continue vertically upfield...forcing a Yale defender to engage. This should create an opening. A bit like "monkey in the middle." Last season, Ierlan never went past the 30 or 35. No one from Yale engaged him and there was no one open to throw to.

Another takeaway from last year is that whenever possible, after an Ierlan save, is to start the clear ASAP, not giving Yale sufficient time to set up its ride.

On to Penn State.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I did not see PSU using a hard ride on Penn. Overall, PSU seemed about on a par with OSU. Cornell should be favored, but not my much.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:22 pm As referenced in an IL article today, the final score was not at all indicative of Cornell's dominance over Ohio State.
I was quite surprised that for all intents and purposes, Ohio State did not try to ride Cornell's clearing game. Certainly, there was no hard ride. I have no idea whether Penn State utilizes a hard ride, but we can definitely expect it from Yale. Think the 4th quarter of what turned to out to be a "nail biter" win over Yale last season at Schoellkopf. And the loss to Yale in the Ivy League Tournament last May at Brown.

Yale's 10 man ride was extremely effective. And surprisingly, it was not handled well by Cornell - even the second time around. In fact, in the game at Brown, I recall Cornell even resorting to full field "shots" to clear...but more out of desperation than as a weapon.

As I commented last season, Yale uses its own wrinkle on the 10 man ride. Rather than engaging the goalie and one or two poles running parallel, all six of their offensive players (riding players) fall back to a cross-section of the field, starting at about the 40+ yard line. This means if Ierlan (or a pole) walks upfield from the crease with the ball, no one from Yale engages him. But this leaves six Yale defenders in a relatively tight window for Ierlan to pass to. Even if he threads the needle and connects with a Cornell player upfield, the player was almost always immediately trapped by two Yale players. Bottom line - whoever starts the clear for Cornell in its defensive zone, either Ierlan or a pole, has to continue vertically upfield...forcing a Yale defender to engage. This should create an opening. A bit like "monkey in the middle." Last season, Ierlan never went past the 30 or 35. No one from Yale engaged him and there was no one open to throw to.

Another takeaway from last year is that whenever possible, after an Ierlan save, is to start the clear ASAP, not giving Yale sufficient time to set up its ride.

On to Penn State.
Good observations!

I would hope the team practices a fast clear. But whether or not it's appropriate will depend on the game situation.

Last year we had some LSDMs who could break a hard ride. I haven't seen our team enough this year to know how well equipped we are now.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Highlights: Cornell Men's Lacrosse at Ohio State - 03/04/2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UDF3kG5SgM
WestVillCornell

Post by WestVillCornell »

Anyone think PSU will play zone defense on us this week?
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

WestVillCornell wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:51 pm Anyone think PSU will play zone defense on us this week?
I think they will try to switch back and forth and another depends on how well either defenses can "control" CJ. He to me can beat ANY defense, as if you elect to play man, and even a pole, forget a shortie, cannot handle him 1 on 1 as he is just so strong, BUT if you play zone and pack it in, his shot from about 17-20 yards and in is absolutely lethal. This Cornell offense, even without Long is just a tough assignment for any team and their D-coordinator, and when Cornell is moving the ball at light speed like they did against OSU, then to me it doesn't matter what D you are playing.

The best defense against the Cornell O is.............win alot of FACEOFFS.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Unfortunately, the weather forecast for Saturday is horrendous. High of about 35 and snow showers. I would love to attend the Tambroni bowl live as Penn State has been playing lights out, but this is just ridiculous weather. So it's back next to my woodstove with a 6 pack of Flower Power and watching on the big Screen. Hopefully we finally get Spring when all the Ivy games are home at the Kopf.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:52 am Unfortunately, the weather forecast for Saturday is horrendous. High of about 35 and snow showers. I would love to attend the Tambroni bowl live as Penn State has been playing lights out, but this is just ridiculous weather. So it's back next to my woodstove with a 6 pack of Flower Power and watching on the big Screen. Hopefully we finally get Spring when all the Ivy games are home at the Kopf.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
you're doing the right thing, jw. flower power and big screen. the weather will come.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Ah, for the days when lax season started in late March ...

https://cornellbigred.com/sports/mens-l ... edule/1977
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:52 am Unfortunately, the weather forecast for Saturday is horrendous. High of about 35 and snow showers. I would love to attend the Tambroni bowl live as Penn State has been playing lights out, but this is just ridiculous weather. So it's back next to my woodstove with a 6 pack of Flower Power and watching on the big Screen. Hopefully we finally get Spring when all the Ivy games are home at the Kopf.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
You're getting soft. I see a high of 37 and cloudy with snow showers and 10 mph winds. That's a beautiful March day in Ithaca! :lol:
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Chousnake wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:43 pm
You're getting soft. I see a high of 37 and cloudy with snow showers and 10 mph winds. That's a beautiful March day in Ithaca! :lol:
Downright balmy, if you ask me...
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Gobigred
Joewillie78
You southerners....
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:55 pm
Gobigred
Joewillie78
You southerners....
A nice early spring day where i grew up
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Chousnake wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:43 pm
Gobigred
Joewillie78
I definitely am. I can remember literally sitting on snowbanks, back in the days when they had the west stands and the Crescent would be closed. One year, I got the last Hot chocolate and people were freaking that they ran out. I could have gotten 10 bucks for that cup.
Look. If it's even in the 40s and sun out, I'll be there in a heartbeat but this forecast is out of my range.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:57 pm
oldbartman wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:55 pm
Gobigred
Joewillie78
You southerners....
A nice early spring day where i grew up
Joe's just getting old. This is spring in Ithaca.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CJ Kirst wins the Inside Lacrosse POW with around 48% of the votes.
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

CU77 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:39 pm Ah, for the days when lax season started in late March ...

wow, what a schedule - 4 mid week games! do you think the team spent 2 days in New England after the Yale game (4/27) to play at Dartmouth (4/30)? if not, that's a lot of bussing!!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

drunkmonkey30 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:22 am
CU77 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:39 pm Ah, for the days when lax season started in late March ...

wow, what a schedule - 4 mid week games! do you think the team spent 2 days in New England after the Yale game (4/27) to play at Dartmouth (4/30)? if not, that's a lot of bussing!!
The April 2nd John's Hopkins game , in which I attended with about 15 of my TKE fraternity brothers and a keg of PBR , is still to this day the greatest lacrosse game I ever witnessed. Devastated in the 1st half with the Jay's killing us and over the top joy and celebration with the comeback win to keep the STREAK alive. I took about 3 days to recover from that game.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

The April 16th John's Hopkins game , in which I attended with about 15 of my TKE fraternity brothers and a keg of PBR , is still to this day the greatest lacrosse game I ever witnessed. Devastated in the 1st half with the Jay's killing us and over the top joy and celebration with the comeback win to keep the STREAK alive. It took about 3 days to recover from that game.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:15 am

The April 16th John's Hopkins game , in which I attended with about 15 of my TKE fraternity brothers and a keg of PBR , is still to this day the greatest lacrosse game I ever witnessed. Devastated in the 1st half with the Jay's killing us and over the top joy and celebration with the comeback win to keep the STREAK alive. It took about 3 days to recover from that game.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Worth repeating! LOL!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”