joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:28 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:22 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:19 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:04 pm That goalie is impressive,
he follows up 22 saves against Navy with 17 saves against
Princeton — he’ll keep that team in most games with similar
effort.

Real good, competitive game.
So does Princeton get penalized like Cornell for winning but not doing it impressively against a perceived inferior opponent?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Among certain criticasters here, probably. :)
Cornell took a beating on this forum for not winning impressively enough. Let's see, win ugly or lose impressively? Hmmm...for some reason, I feel much better after an ugly win than an impressive lost. Just me I guess.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I've been on this site and Laxpower for years and I can say that there are many many people on this forum and in the lax media that have always put a great deal of stock in impressive losses. Some of the top programs in D1 got NCAA bids and seeding numerous times over based on their schedule and their string of "good losses" and not on wins. When it bit some in the a$$ last season, the incessant whining was (and still is) highly hypocritical. When Ivy fans and others would point this out after being left out of the tourney or getting a bid as an unseeded team, they were told to play a tougher schedule or RPI doesn't lie or head to head doesn't matter when you view the entire schedule and dozens of other excuses why actual wins are not as important as who you play and who plays who.
Chousnake

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by Chousnake »

ICGrad wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:38 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:28 pm Cornell took a beating on this forum for not winning impressively enough. Let's see, win ugly or lose impressively? Hmmm...for some reason, I feel much better after an ugly win than an impressive lost. Just me I guess.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Especially surprising considering UVA won ugly in week one and held serve, Cornell wins ugly in week two and falls from #2 to #9.

Well, not sure it's that surprising. But still...
They fell from 2 to 9 in the forum poll. Cornell is 3/4 in the real polls this week. Cornell does need to fix some things from the Albany game or close wins will result in some losses going forward.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Chousnake wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:00 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:28 pm Cornell took a beating on this forum for not winning impressively enough. Let's see, win ugly or lose impressively? Hmmm...for some reason, I feel much better after an ugly win than an impressive lost. Just me I guess.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Especially surprising considering UVA won ugly in week one and held serve, Cornell wins ugly in week two and falls from #2 to #9.

They fell from 2 to 9 in the forum poll. Cornell is 3/4 in the real polls this week. Cornell does need to fix some things from the Albany game or close wins will result in some losses going forward.
Absolutely they do; but it was a first game after 2 weeks of practice.

My point was that that same forum poll, just one week before, chose not to punish UVA for winning ugly against Michigan, then slams Cornell for winning ugly against Albany.

For the record, I kept UVA #1 after the week 1 win; sure it was closer than expected, but early February wins are still wins, and especially those first game wins. Everyone's a little rusty.

I mean, I could see dropping Cornell a spot or two (I think I did in my poll); not necessarily on the basis of the Cornell win but because other teams put up more impressive results against better opponents (Loyola, for example). But collectively dropping the 9 places? Seems extreme.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

ICGrad wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:57 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Absolutely they do; but it was a first game after 2 weeks of practice.

My point was that that same forum poll, just one week before, chose not to punish UVA for winning ugly against Michigan, then slams Cornell for winning ugly against Albany.

For the record, I kept UVA #1 after the week 1 win; sure it was closer than expected, but early February wins are still wins, and especially those first game wins. Everyone's a little rusty.

I mean, I could see dropping Cornell a spot or two (I think I did in my poll); not necessarily on the basis of the Cornell win but because other teams put up more impressive results against better opponents (Loyola, for example). But collectively dropping the 9 places? Seems extreme.
The vicissitudes of opprobrium.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Of course, we all know that but it seems that since it's Cornell, for some reason, they won't fix it and get penalized while I guess the feeling is that other programs with ugly wins will fix it.
I watched Bucek and Steven's all LAST year fix whatever needed fixing to the tune of losing the NC by 2 goals to a generational team, so I think they can fix an ugly 1ST GAME OF THE SEASON WIN, and probably just getting LONG back would be a good start.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Predictions for this weekend (don't bet on these I'm not good at this):
  • Yale (H) over Penn State by 3
  • Maryland over Princeton (H) by 2
  • Penn (H) over Duke by 1
  • Vermont over Brown (A) by 1
  • Cornell (A) over Lehigh by 3
  • Dartmouth (A) over Holy Cross by 2
  • Harvard (H) over Bucknell by 4
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:55 pm Predictions for this weekend (don't bet on these I'm not good at this):
MD by 4

Duke by 2

Cornell by 5

Dart by 5

Harvard by 2 (backdoor cover Bucks got a lot of offensive firepower could be inverse of UVA game for Harvard, but lead then they chip away late)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:55 pm Predictions for this weekend (don't bet on these I'm not good at this):
Solid looking picks, although I think Dartmouth beats a pretty weak HC squad by about 4
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Cornell is home.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Thanks, Orfling! I’ll go with:
Yale by 4 - Still waiting for PSU program to wake up
Princeton by 1 - “Team” prevails over rental players
Penn by 2 - Murphy knows how to beat ha alma mater
Vermont by 2 - FOs trump goalie play here
Cornell in OT - Lehigh is very well coached
Dartmouth by 4 - Myers wins 65% of FOs
Harvard by 4 - UVA game was anomaly
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Can Opener wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:36 am
Princeton has an amazing amount of talent. I do wonder if there might be a bit of fatigue after a more challenging than expected Manhattan game mid-week.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Good picks and good reasoning — a great slate of OOC games today.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:16 am
Good picks and good reasoning — a great slate of OOC games today.
Agreed, a great slate of OOC games. It looks like Dartmouth has a good chance of starting the season 2-0. Having not made the NCAAs last year, Duke has looked far from invincible so far this year, so it's logical to pick Penn, especially as the game is being played in Philly. But is there a "real Duke" that can show up instead of the impostors in blue jerseys?
Post-Ament, Penn State has struggled, but PSU did knock off Yale last year in State College. Can the much-questioned Yale defense hold PSU to 10 goals or fewer? It looks like the Elis can score with the best of them, but championships are won by well-balanced teams that are good all over the field.
Maryland at Princeton for me is the game of the weekend, not just among the Ivies. The defending national champions may not be the Super Team of 2022 this time around, but Tillman is a terrific coach who has a squad with plenty of talent. The Terps will have learned from the Loyola and Syracuse games, while the Tigers have prevailed over less prestigious programs. By the end of the day we'll have a better idea of just how good Princeton can be this year.
GO IVY!
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Wow...Yale loses at home to Nit Lions!
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

No good terrible very bad day incoming for the Ivy League. Yale upset. Penn and Princeton losing. Cornell and Dartmouth holding the league up so far.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Terps schooling Princeton
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:37 pm Terps schooling Princeton
6:30 in penalties will do that. Maryland defense is elite though. Rock fight first half.
“I wish you would!”
FiveZeroEight

Post by FiveZeroEight »

“‘Team’ prevails over rental players” lol. Maryland had, what, two transfers playing meaningful minutes today? One DM and one attackman that went for 1g, 1a. Keep clinging to the narrative though. You guys are insufferable.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

8:00 in penalties for Princeton. That was not the difference in the game though. Very hard for Princeton to generate offense and could not get good looks on cage. Both defenses were good. Teams were closer than the score but Maryland was the better team today. Wouldn’t mind seeing a rematch again.
“I wish you would!”
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

FiveZeroEight wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:19 pm
“‘Team’ prevails over rental players” lol. Maryland had, what, two transfers playing meaningful minutes today? One DM and one attackman that went for 1g, 1a. Keep clinging to the narrative though. You guys are insufferable.
Maryland does not need any rental players as the core you had returning from last year are great, especially on defense and let's face it, the MD coach right now is probably the best d1 coach, and his in game adjustments are always winning ones. You also probably have a Fogo and Goalie that are top 5 in the country or higher.
MD as usual is scary good and an obvious NC contender again. Great win today. Congrats.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”