Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by FannOLax »

Congratulations to Dartmouth's Sam Cooper on being named Ivy Rookie of the Week, and to Yale's Chris Lyons on being named Player of the Week. It looks like any doubts about the Big Green's goaltending situation have been resolved.
https://ivyleague.com/news/2023/2/20/ya ... onors.aspx
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:37 am Congratulations to Dartmouth's Sam Cooper on being named Ivy Rookie of the Week, and to Yale's Chris Lyons on being named Player of the Week. It looks like any doubts about the Big Green's goaltending situation have been resolved.
https://ivyleague.com/news/2023/2/20/ya ... onors.aspx
Fingers crossed. ;)
Callahan has been very good with tenders.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Manhattan starting strong tonight. Up 3-0, now back to 4-1 in under 10 minutes of play.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Nice bounce-back win for Brown over Providence, 12-7 on Brown's home field. I fully expect Princeton to come from behind to beat Manhattan.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That goalie seems to have no problem taking on any type of
shooter, calm demeanor, confident.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:11 pm Good list, faircornell. Chris Lyons of Yale is the Player of the Week and Dartmouth Goalie Sam Cooper is the rookie of the week: https://ivyleague.com/news/2023/2/20/ya ... onors.aspx

Others making the honor roll (almost all of whom were on your list) are:
Chad Palumbo (Princeton)
Cam Rubin (Penn)
Alex Vardaro (Princeton)
Colin McGill (Dartmouth)
C.J. Kirst (Cornell)
Emmet Carroll (Penn)

(Kind of unusual for Matt Brandau to have a 7 point day in a contested game and not make the Honor Roll but expectations are very high, I guess!)
Thanks, Orfling! Yes.. very high expectations for Brandau.. this type of thing used to happen to Jeff Teat as well.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

faircornell wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:56 pm
The Orfling wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:11 pm Good list, faircornell. Chris Lyons of Yale is the Player of the Week and Dartmouth Goalie Sam Cooper is the rookie of the week: https://ivyleague.com/news/2023/2/20/ya ... onors.aspx

Chad Palumbo (Princeton)
Cam Rubin (Penn)
Alex Vardaro (Princeton)
Colin McGill (Dartmouth)
C.J. Kirst (Cornell)
Emmet Carroll (Penn)

(Kind of unusual for Matt Brandau to have a 7 point day in a contested game and not make the Honor Roll but expectations are very high, I guess!)
Thanks, Orfling! Yes.. very high expectations for Brandau.. this type of thing used to happen to Jeff Teat as well.
Brandau is excellent. He’s a killer.
“I wish you would!”
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That goalie is impressive,
he follows up 22 saves against Navy with 17 saves against
Princeton — he’ll keep that team in most games with similar
effort.

Real good, competitive game.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:04 pm That goalie is impressive,
effort.

So does Princeton get penalized like Cornell for winning but not doing it impressively against a perceived inferior opponent?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

effort.

He certainly helps neutralize the opposing offense, fun too ok watch.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:19 pm
effort.

So does Princeton get penalized like Cornell for winning but not doing it impressively against a perceived inferior opponent?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Among certain criticasters here, probably. :)
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:22 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:19 pm
effort.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Among certain criticasters here, probably. :)
Cornell took a beating on this forum for not winning impressively enough. Let's see, win ugly or lose impressively? Hmmm...for some reason, I feel much better after an ugly win than an impressive lost. Just me I guess.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Chad Palumbo (Princeton)
Cam Rubin (Penn)
Alex Vardaro (Princeton)
Colin McGill (Dartmouth)
C.J. Kirst (Cornell)
Emmet Carroll (Penn)

Sam King w 8?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:28 pm Cornell took a beating on this forum for not winning impressively enough. Let's see, win ugly or lose impressively? Hmmm...for some reason, I feel much better after an ugly win than an impressive lost. Just me I guess.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Especially surprising considering UVA won ugly in week one and held serve, Cornell wins ugly in week two and falls from #2 to #9.

Well, not sure it's that surprising. But still...
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:05 pm

Chad Palumbo (Princeton)
Cam Rubin (Penn)
Alex Vardaro (Princeton)
Colin McGill (Dartmouth)
C.J. Kirst (Cornell)
Emmet Carroll (Penn)

Sam King w 8?
This week it looks like they only recognized players on teams that won.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

faircornell wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:37 pm This week it looks like they only recognized players on teams that won.
On winning teams this week, or as a rule of thumb?

US Lax started a Player of the Week thing, with Chris Lyons taking the D1 cake. https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... f-the-week

Is lacrosse a spring sport or a winter sport? Forecast highs in NY / New England below 30 degrees for this Saturday.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:21 am
faircornell wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:37 pm This week it looks like they only recognized players on teams that won.

US Lax started a Player of the Week thing, with Chris Lyons taking the D1 cake. https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... f-the-week

Is lacrosse a spring sport or a winter sport? Forecast highs in NY / New England below 30 degrees for this Saturday.
I could be wrong, but my recollection is that last season they included strong performances from players on teams that didn't win in the Honor Roll. POW and ROW typically are from teams that won that week
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:21 am

Yes.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
molo

Post by molo »

Princeton will find out how good they are this weekend against Maryland. With the offensive adjustments at attack and the likely increase in pt at offensive midfield for their best athlete, the Terps will put up quite a few points. Goalie struggled against SU but d is stout.
Princeton woke up in the third quarter against the improving Jaspers.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

molo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:40 am Princeton will find out how good they are this weekend against Maryland. With the offensive adjustments at attack and the likely increase in pt at offensive midfield for their best athlete, the Terps will put up quite a few points. Goalie struggled against SU but d is stout.
Princeton woke up in the third quarter against the improving Jaspers.
Absolutely. The Terps are the reigning national champions, as good a measuring stick as there is. Tillman is a terrific coach who will have learned a lot from the Loyola game. Let's hope for a great, injury-free game.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”