NFL

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: NFL

Post by Brooklyn »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:22 am

I’m sick about the loss because all of the stars supposedly were aligned in our favor. But it didn’t happen. Such is life. We certainly had a lot of chances even putting aside the holding call at the end of the game.

DB James Bradberry PLEADS GUILTY to the holding call:

“It was a holding. I tugged his jersey. I was hoping they would let it slide."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... gyfv6q89ow

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1 ... agles-2023

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2023/2/12/ ... agles-2023

I had the radio on last night before going to bed and heard him admit it. In truth, I wish he had not done so because we would have had much to debate on for a long while to come. But he spoiled it by admitting to his error. Thus, the officials are now absolved and the controversy is over.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
njbill

Post by njbill »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:27 am
njbill wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:22 am

I’m sick about the loss because all of the stars supposedly were aligned in our favor. But it didn’t happen. Such is life. We certainly had a lot of chances even putting aside the holding call at the end of the game.

DB James Bradberry PLEADS GUILTY to the holding call:

“It was a holding. I tugged his jersey. I was hoping they would let it slide."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... gyfv6q89ow

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1 ... agles-2023

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2023/2/12/ ... agles-2023

I had the radio on last night before going to bed and heard him admit it. In truth, I wish he had not done so because we would have had much to debate on for a long while to come. But he spoiled it by admitting to his error. Thus, the officials are now absolved and the controversy is over.
Yes, he said that. But he's wrong that it was a penalty. He had ahold of the jersey for a nanosecond. De mimimus "hold" that didn't impact the receiver at all. But the call was made and it won't be changed.

We in Philly have noted the bad call but it is an after thought at this point. Much more animus directed at the DC and the defense.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Hopefully this is not you njbill: Musta had one helluva sweat on the game. https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/16 ... su40UzYbvA

Looks like its bs, but I'm sure someone somewhere was close to this. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:28 am Hopefully this is not you njbill: Musta had one helluva sweat on the game. https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/16 ... su40UzYbvA

Looks like its bs, but I'm sure someone somewhere was close to this. :lol:

As we say in Brooklyn, "only in Nu Joizey"
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

njbill

Post by njbill »

:lol:

Yes, it was. :oops:

Actually seems like a perfectly appropriate reaction. :lol:

Philly fans are weird dudes and dudettes. We actually like the fact that we are so obnoxious that everyone hates us. I have one of those "No One Likes Us And We Don't Care" hats. Have to be careful where I wear it.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:48 am He grabbed the jersey and pulled it in a different direction than the body. It's clear from video and illegal. I like your attempt to work the court on this but it's a penatly, if small time, yet consistent with the call in the previous super bowl. Ref reactions cant be read to mean anything.

Drawing the atraight line arugment has no merit. I made the same case last year, one play at any moement in time doesn't change the rest of the game. Doesn't matter when it happens in a game, there isn't an oridinal value hierarchy to various points in time in the game - they are all equal.

Point on being at the 14 is the Eagles let them get there, to worry about a technically correct call when the team let themselves down allowing the Chiefs to get into easy FG range seems to miss that aspect.

Halftime leaves more time to come back than the 3rd quarter. Blowing a 3rd quarter (late in period) double digit lead is worse than blowing it at half.

Defining a football play in slow motion replay is different than "did the ball touch the ground" and makes replay worthless if it ends up with just another judgement call. I'm not so old that I played college football into this millenium so I'm not talking like someone who is recollecting leather helmet football here. The guy made a "football play" to anyone who played at a higher level clear as day. Seems like you want to argue technical rules on one hand and then the natural flow of the game on the other. Don't get wrapped up in those two they lost the game by not blowing the Chiefs out early when they should've. A buddy who coached w Andy Reid a long time ago and I were talking and early agreed the eagles should win going away. By allowing them to stay in the game at halftime, and 10pts with a half to play is exactly that, is how they lost the game.
You really don't think I'm going to let this go. :lol:

I encourage you, if you have the interest, to rewatch the play, first in real time. The receiver cut inside at which point Bradbury legally put his right arm on the front of the receiver's waist. That was legal since it was within 5 yds whether or not it impeded his progress (if it did at all). Then the receiver spun outside with Bradbury's right hand still on the front of his waist. This is when the so-called jersey "grab" occurred (as the receiver was spinning away). I tried to time the length of the grab. I got about 0.2 secs. Someone has posted a pic the instant of the grab. I'll bet there is no grab one frame back or one frame forward. What occurred is not a penalty. It was the most incidental of grabs that lasted a nanosecond and did nothing to impede the receiver; it didn't turn his body or slow him down.

Stated another way, had there been no contact at all, the receiver still wouldn't have gotten within several yards of the overthrown ball. I understand "uncatchable" isn't a necessary element of defensive holding, but I am merely pointing out the alleged infraction did not affect the play. Frankly, in the moment, I thought Mahomes was throwing the ball away.

De minimus incidental grabs that have no impact on the receiver are not fouls. It's really as simple as that. Look, it was a bad call. Bad calls happen. They are part of the game. I get all that. I don't know what previous call you are referring to.

Listen to Greg Olson. TEs probably get held more than any other receiver. If he, a former TE, didn't think that was holding, that speaks volumes to me.

Actually the straight line argument is irrefutable. Essentially nothing material happened in the game between the call, the resultant running down of the clock to 8 secs, and the end of the game (except the gimme FG). You are making a different point, the egalitarian argument that all plays are equal. Sure, plays at the beginning of the game can be impactful as was Hurts' fumble and the scoop and score. If your opponent scores a goal in the first minute of the game for his team to go up 1-0, your team has a chance to respond and overcome the deficit. If they score with 2 secs left, you don't have a chance. That's what I mean by drawing a straight line. There was effectively no intervening event or quantity of time between the call and the end of the game. Lots of things happened and there was lots of time after the Hurts' fumble. None of any of this excuses the many Eagle shortcomings in the game.

I am not missing anything. In fact, you are ignoring all I have written about the rest of the game where I have said, repeatedly, that the Eagles had oodles of chances and failed to hold the Chiefs defensively time and time again. Reread my above posts.

Getting a 10 point halftime lead was "exactly how they lost the game"? Huh? You might want to rethink that one.

Of course a third Q deficit can be more significant than a halftime one. But the stats I quoted were about halftime deficits. If you want to dig up third quarter deficit stats, be my guest. But you are talking about something different. And BTW the Chiefs were behind by ten for 5+ mins of the 3rd Q (about 7 mins different from the 49ers game).

They were two different plays. One clearly wasn't a catch under today's rules. No one has disputed that. No judgment involved. Nothing technical at all about that play. You don't like today's rules, that's fine. You don't like replays, that's fine too. But replays are here to stay. When used appropriately, they can correct clearly erroneous calls. Even wlax has replay reviews now.

The holding call was a bad call, pure and simple. You think it was a good call. I've heard all your arguments, and I reject them. You've heard mine, and reject them. You ain't ever gonna convince me. I ain't ever gonna convince you. Such is the case in sports debates. If you wish, you can take solace in the fact that the call isn't going to be changed, right or wrong. I think we have beaten this one to death TBH.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:51 am :lol:

Philly fans are weird dudes and dudettes. We actually like the fact that we are so obnoxious that everyone hates us. I have one of those "No One Likes Us And We Don't Care" hats. Have to be careful where I wear it.

Philly fan violence:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -cops.html

Eagles fans march on Philadelphia City Hall as they scale lampposts, chant 'f*** the Chiefs' and face down with cops as they're sprayed with tear gas - following narrow 38-35 loss to Kansas City
Signs of unrest surfaced almost immediately after the team's defeat Sunday
Heartbroken fans reportedly swarming City Hall and clashing with police
Cops in the city were seen using tear gas to deter any further disruptions

Mayhem broke out in the City of Brotherly Love last night following the Philadelphia Eagles' narrow Super Bowl loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Signs of unrest surfaced almost immediately after the team's 38-35 defeat Sunday night - with disgruntled fans swarming City Hall and clashing with cops that had been stationed throughout the city in case of such an outcome.

Police scanner audio after 10:30pm suggested police had made multiple arrests, as citizens were seen scaling lampposts, chanting 'f*** the Chiefs', and hurling glass bottles throughout the city's Downtown neighborhood.

Footage circulating on social media also shows several residents lighting fireworks, with others egging on armed SWAT teams tasked with keeping the peace.

In one shocking clip, a group of Philadelphians were seen lighting fireworks, with some reports indicating the explosives are being thrown at officers.

Cops were using tear gas to deter any further disruptions, after a crushing defeat highlighted by game-altering penalties.

The loss is compounded by the fact the city's baseball team, the Phillies, similarly crashed out of the World Series just a few months ago.

more at link ...

Such bad sportsmanship!

njbill

Post by njbill »

Yeah, thanks for that. Totally unnecessary, but thanks anyway.

Edit: Since I had neither seen nor heard anything along these lines, I did some checking on local media reports and with my nephews who live in Center City. Not surprisingly, this tabloid account is way overblown. There were a lot of unhappy people in the streets chanting heck the Chiefs, but acts of violence were isolated at best. I couldn’t find any reports of arrests.

Brooklyn, maybe you could check your facts before posting.
AOD

Post by AOD »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:29 pm

Philly fan violence:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -cops.html

Eagles fans march on Philadelphia City Hall as they scale lampposts, chant 'f*** the Chiefs' and face down with cops as they're sprayed with tear gas - following narrow 38-35 loss to Kansas City
Signs of unrest surfaced almost immediately after the team's defeat Sunday
Heartbroken fans reportedly swarming City Hall and clashing with police
Cops in the city were seen using tear gas to deter any further disruptions

Mayhem broke out in the City of Brotherly Love last night following the Philadelphia Eagles' narrow Super Bowl loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Signs of unrest surfaced almost immediately after the team's 38-35 defeat Sunday night - with disgruntled fans swarming City Hall and clashing with cops that had been stationed throughout the city in case of such an outcome.

Police scanner audio after 10:30pm suggested police had made multiple arrests, as citizens were seen scaling lampposts, chanting 'f*** the Chiefs', and hurling glass bottles throughout the city's Downtown neighborhood.

Footage circulating on social media also shows several residents lighting fireworks, with others egging on armed SWAT teams tasked with keeping the peace.

In one shocking clip, a group of Philadelphians were seen lighting fireworks, with some reports indicating the explosives are being thrown at officers.

Cops were using tear gas to deter any further disruptions, after a crushing defeat highlighted by game-altering penalties.

The loss is compounded by the fact the city's baseball team, the Phillies, similarly crashed out of the World Series just a few months ago.

more at link ...

Such bad sportsmanship!
Surprised you cited the Daily Mail, Brooky.

Anyway, here's another take on after game fan conduct as reported by the Phila Inquirer.

Philly streets relatively calm after Eagles loss
Following the Eagles’ last-second loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LVII, the streets of Philadelphia were uncharacteristically calm.

Per data from the PPD, only 15 low-level offenses related to the Super Bowl loss (and associated debauchery) occurred overnight. There were 11 disorderly conduct incidents and two unspecified misdemeanors, said police spokesperson Miguel Torres.

The PPD also recorded one assault on police and one injured officer who isn’t seeking medical attention at this time, said Torres. No arrest has been made in the case of assault.

When the Eagles won the Super Bowl in 2018, Philly’s police scanner was full of alerts about flipped cars, fire works, and lots of pole climbers. Eight people had been arrested in game-related disturbances that year.

— Beatrice Forman
njbill

Post by njbill »

AOD, thanks for the calmer (and more accurate) response. I’m still out on the ledge, but probably will come in by dinner time. Just had a very therapeutic 90 minute post mortem discussion with my brother.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

AOD wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:08 pm Surprised you cited the Daily Mail, Brooky.

Anyway, here's another take on after game fan conduct as reported by the Phila Inquirer.

Philly streets relatively calm after Eagles loss
Following the Eagles’ last-second loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LVII, the streets of Philadelphia were uncharacteristically calm.

Per data from the PPD, only 15 low-level offenses related to the Super Bowl loss (and associated debauchery) occurred overnight. There were 11 disorderly conduct incidents and two unspecified misdemeanors, said police spokesperson Miguel Torres.

The PPD also recorded one assault on police and one injured officer who isn’t seeking medical attention at this time, said Torres. No arrest has been made in the case of assault.

When the Eagles won the Super Bowl in 2018, Philly’s police scanner was full of alerts about flipped cars, fire works, and lots of pole climbers. Eight people had been arrested in game-related disturbances that year.

— Beatrice Forman

I figured that nobody would believe me if I posted from a lefty link so I gave them a righty one. ;)

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:08 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:48 am He grabbed the jersey and pulled it in a different direction than the body. It's clear from video and illegal. I like your attempt to work the court on this but it's a penatly, if small time, yet consistent with the call in the previous super bowl. Ref reactions cant be read to mean anything.

Drawing the atraight line arugment has no merit. I made the same case last year, one play at any moement in time doesn't change the rest of the game. Doesn't matter when it happens in a game, there isn't an oridinal value hierarchy to various points in time in the game - they are all equal.

Point on being at the 14 is the Eagles let them get there, to worry about a technically correct call when the team let themselves down allowing the Chiefs to get into easy FG range seems to miss that aspect.

Halftime leaves more time to come back than the 3rd quarter. Blowing a 3rd quarter (late in period) double digit lead is worse than blowing it at half.

Defining a football play in slow motion replay is different than "did the ball touch the ground" and makes replay worthless if it ends up with just another judgement call. I'm not so old that I played college football into this millenium so I'm not talking like someone who is recollecting leather helmet football here. The guy made a "football play" to anyone who played at a higher level clear as day. Seems like you want to argue technical rules on one hand and then the natural flow of the game on the other. Don't get wrapped up in those two they lost the game by not blowing the Chiefs out early when they should've. A buddy who coached w Andy Reid a long time ago and I were talking and early agreed the eagles should win going away. By allowing them to stay in the game at halftime, and 10pts with a half to play is exactly that, is how they lost the game.
You really don't think I'm going to let this go. :lol:

I encourage you, if you have the interest, to rewatch the play, first in real time. The receiver cut inside at which point Bradbury legally put his right arm on the front of the receiver's waist. That was legal since it was within 5 yds whether or not it impeded his progress (if it did at all). Then the receiver spun outside with Bradbury's right hand still on the front of his waist. This is when the so-called jersey "grab" occurred (as the receiver was spinning away). I tried to time the length of the grab. I got about 0.2 secs. Someone has posted a pic the instant of the grab. I'll bet there is no grab one frame back or one frame forward. What occurred is not a penalty. It was the most incidental of grabs that lasted a nanosecond and did nothing to impede the receiver; it didn't turn his body or slow him down.

Stated another way, had there been no contact at all, the receiver still wouldn't have gotten within several yards of the overthrown ball. I understand "uncatchable" isn't a necessary element of defensive holding, but I am merely pointing out the alleged infraction did not affect the play. Frankly, in the moment, I thought Mahomes was throwing the ball away.

De minimus incidental grabs that have no impact on the receiver are not fouls. It's really as simple as that. Look, it was a bad call. Bad calls happen. They are part of the game. I get all that. I don't know what previous call you are referring to.

Listen to Greg Olson. TEs probably get held more than any other receiver. If he, a former TE, didn't think that was holding, that speaks volumes to me.

Actually the straight line argument is irrefutable. Essentially nothing material happened in the game between the call, the resultant running down of the clock to 8 secs, and the end of the game (except the gimme FG). You are making a different point, the egalitarian argument that all plays are equal. Sure, plays at the beginning of the game can be impactful as was Hurts' fumble and the scoop and score. If your opponent scores a goal in the first minute of the game for his team to go up 1-0, your team has a chance to respond and overcome the deficit. If they score with 2 secs left, you don't have a chance. That's what I mean by drawing a straight line. There was effectively no intervening event or quantity of time between the call and the end of the game. Lots of things happened and there was lots of time after the Hurts' fumble. None of any of this excuses the many Eagle shortcomings in the game.

I am not missing anything. In fact, you are ignoring all I have written about the rest of the game where I have said, repeatedly, that the Eagles had oodles of chances and failed to hold the Chiefs defensively time and time again. Reread my above posts.

Getting a 10 point halftime lead was "exactly how they lost the game"? Huh? You might want to rethink that one.

Of course a third Q deficit can be more significant than a halftime one. But the stats I quoted were about halftime deficits. If you want to dig up third quarter deficit stats, be my guest. But you are talking about something different. And BTW the Chiefs were behind by ten for 5+ mins of the 3rd Q (about 7 mins different from the 49ers game).

They were two different plays. One clearly wasn't a catch under today's rules. No one has disputed that. No judgment involved. Nothing technical at all about that play. You don't like today's rules, that's fine. You don't like replays, that's fine too. But replays are here to stay. When used appropriately, they can correct clearly erroneous calls. Even wlax has replay reviews now.

The holding call was a bad call, pure and simple. You think it was a good call. I've heard all your arguments, and I reject them. You've heard mine, and reject them. You ain't ever gonna convince me. I ain't ever gonna convince you. Such is the case in sports debates. If you wish, you can take solace in the fact that the call isn't going to be changed, right or wrong. I think we have beaten this one to death TBH.
Hey fan is short for fanatic but I do know the game pretty well myself here and I don’t like the call but it’s a penalty. It just is. I’m not the one who’s fighting so hard.

But yes the eagles should’ve had a 17-24pt lead as a former Mich St player who coached in the NFL w Andy Reid was agreeing with me on during the game. Leaving it to 10pts vs Mahomes, the same guy who came back from double digits to win in a super bowl just a couple years ago was where the game was lost.

Having played ILB in college and never ever held a TE or receiver, though Eva sue my pass coverage was always perfect of course, I know the rule and I know what is enforceable and it’s a penalty. The pro player who committed it says so. Whether it should be enforced so tightly can be debated but to suggest it isn’t a penalty is what a hardcore fan does. Just hope you weren’t Part of the crew that used to throw beer bottles and batteries at Dick Allen during his Phillies days.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Apparently everyone has short term memory because this happened 1 year ago

Bengals Baffled By Controversial Penalties Late In Super Bowl LVI Loss

February 13, 2022
by Zack Cox 12 months ago

Super Bowl LVI hinged on a controversial red-zone penalty in the game’s final minutes.

With the Los Angeles trailing by four, Matthew Stafford fired a third-down pass to wide receiver Cooper Kupp that fell incomplete, setting up what would have been a game-deciding fourth down.

But the Super Bowl officiating crew, which had kept its flags tightly holstered for most of the evening, penalized Bengals linebacker Logan Wilson for defensive holding on Kupp, giving the Rams a fresh set of downs at the Cincinnati 4-yard line.

Officials proceeded to throw flags on each of the next two plays, as well, including a defensive pass interference call on cornerback Eli Apple against Kupp that gave LA first-and-goal from the 1. After an unsuccessful Stafford sneak, Kupp beat Apple for what proved to be the game-winning touchdown.

The Rams won 23-20, and Kupp was voted Super Bowl MVP.

The penalty on Wilson, in particular, sparked a firestorm of criticism on social media, with viewers wondering why Ron Torbert’s crew seemingly altered its definition of pass interference at the most pivotal juncture. Super Bowl LVI had featured just four total penalties to that point: one false start, one delay of game, one unnecessary roughness and one unsportsmanlike conduct.

Wilson voiced his displeasure in his postgame news conference.

“Cooper came up to me and tried to push off of me, and I thought I made a good play on the ball,” the linebacker told reporters at SoFi Stadium. “The refs saw otherwise. It’s a tough call.”

Los Angeles Rams wide receiver Cooper Kupp
Cooper Kupp Named Super Bowl MVP After Rams Beat Bengals For Title

Bengals head coach Zac Taylor and several other Cincinnati players also were asked about the costly penalty.

Taylor: “It’s tough. I thought it was a really well-officiated game, to be honest with you, and sometimes it comes down to moments like those. I didn’t have a great look at it, but I thought the officials did a nice job.”

Cornerback Chidobe Awuzie: “Logan made a hell of a play, I thought, on Cooper Kupp on third down, and the penalty flag comes throwing out. Obviously, I’m not a ref; I don’t know what happened on that play. But we fought.”

Defensive end Trey Hendrickson: “Well, there’s some things that are out of our control. There were a couple judgment calls there. … Those are things that are out of our control. There’s nothing that we could say that was going to change anything.”

Wide receiver Tyler Boyd: “At the end of the day, that’s not my job to speak on it. But I’m hurt about it, because they weren’t throwing flags the whole game. They should have just let it play out how they were doing the whole game. But it’s a lot of pressure when the time’s about to be over. It is what it is.”

Defensive tackle D.J. Reader: “We got some unlucky calls there at the end, but we’ve got to play better.”

Exacerbating the Bengals’ frustration was the fact that nearly the entire Rams’ offensive line appeared to jump early on the play Wilson was flagged for.

The refs didn’t only favor the eventual Super Bowl champs, however. On the first play of the second half, Bengals wide receiver Tee Higgins got away with a blatant facemask on cornerback Jalen Ramsey on a 75-yard touchdown pass.

Had Cincinnati been able to hold its seven-point fourth-quarter lead, Higgins’ no-call would have been heavily scrutinized.

The Bengals also hurt themselves with a bone-headed penalty late in the first half. After an end-zone interception by safety Jessie Bates III, cornerback Vernon Hargreaves, who was inactive for the game, ran onto the field to celebrate. Because Hargreaves was not in uniform, his actions drew a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct, forcing quarterback Joe Burrow to start the ensuing drive at his own 10-yard line.

“It’s hard when you’re going to be a little bit better field position than that,” Taylor told reporters. “That’s a silly thing. We pride ourself on being a disciplined team, and that was a very, very undisciplined moment, and that’s frustrating.”
njbill

Post by njbill »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:32 pm Hey fan is short for fanatic but I do know the game pretty well myself here and I don’t like the call but it’s a penalty. It just is. I’m not the one who’s fighting so hard.

But yes the eagles should’ve had a 17-24pt lead as a former Mich St player who coached in the NFL w Andy Reid was agreeing with me on during the game. Leaving it to 10pts vs Mahomes, the same guy who came back from double digits to win in a super bowl just a couple years ago was where the game was lost.

Having played ILB in college and never ever held a TE or receiver, though Eva sue my pass coverage was always perfect of course, I know the rule and I know what is enforceable and it’s a penalty. The pro player who committed it says so. Whether it should be enforced so tightly can be debated but to suggest it isn’t a penalty is what a hardcore fan does. Just hope you weren’t Part of the crew that used to throw beer bottles and batteries at Dick Allen during his Phillies days.
We all know the game very well. This is hardly an arcane sport. Your "expertise" seems to be no greater than mine. You claim to have played, but say you never held anyone. Yeah, OK. :roll: BTW, a former Mich St. player who played for Reid says it was a bad call.

I have a reason to be fighting hard as I have a dog in the fight as a rabid Eagles fan for many decades. What I don't understand is why you, a Bears fan with no apparent rooting interest, want to keep pursuing this.

The majority of neutral commentators I've read or heard say the call shouldn't have been made, starting with an NFL tight end. You disagree. Fine.

The pool ref said the call was made because the jersey grab restricted the receiver from releasing to the outside. Except it didn't as the video clearly demonstrates. There is no disturbance of the receiver's pattern. The official's "restriction" explanation is consistent with how the rule is administered in practice. Notwithstanding the bare language of the rule, in practice refs require the "grab" or "hold" to affect the play; the receiver's pattern has to be restricted in some manner. Here the 0.2 sec jersey grab did not. Further, up til this point the game had been called rather loosely, at least in terms of play at the line of scrimmage and in the secondary. This call effectively ended the game. You simply can't do that at the very end of a Super Bowl. From your other post, it sounds like the refs made the same mistake two years in a row.

Bradbury didn't say he thought a penalty should be called. He took the blame, but don't for an instant think he thought there should have been a flag. He blamed himself, as upstanding players do (very common in sports). In any event, the video is the best evidence, and it clearly shows the grab lasted a nanosecond and didn't impede the receiver one iota.

Your prediction that the Eagles needed to be up by 17-24 points at the half to win the game didn't age well, did it? Do the math.

Your argument that the Eagles "lost" the game by only being up ten at the half is utterly asinine. The Eagles were up by ten at the half in 2018 and won. The difference is BG stripped Brady then. (Brady, as you'll recall, came back from a much bigger deficit than did Mahomes.) Eagles needed a big defensive play like that one yesterday. Didn't get it. Had they, they might have won, as might have happened had the bad holding call not been made. We'll never know.

Dick Allen's good friend, Johnny Callison, was my idol growing up. Late in life Johnny tended bar outside of Philadelphia. Allen would stop in from time to time. The bar owner hated when that happened as everyone would gather round to listen to the stories and no one would drink. My cousin and I toyed with going over to the bar to meet Johnny, but kept putting it off. Then John died. Big regret.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:03 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:32 pm Hey fan is short for fanatic but I do know the game pretty well myself here and I don’t like the call but it’s a penalty. It just is. I’m not the one who’s fighting so hard.

We all know the game very well. This is hardly an arcane sport. Your "expertise" seems to be no greater than mine. You claim to have played, but say you never held anyone. Yeah, OK. :roll: BTW, a former Mich St. player who played for Reid says it was a bad call.

I have a reason to be fighting hard as I have a dog in the fight as a rabid Eagles fan for many decades. What I don't understand is why you, a Bears fan with no apparent rooting interest, want to keep pursuing this.

The majority of neutral commentators I've read or heard say the call shouldn't have been made, starting with an NFL tight end. You disagree. Fine.

The pool ref said the call was made because the jersey grab restricted the receiver from releasing to the outside. Except it didn't as the video clearly demonstrates. There is no disturbance of the receiver's pattern. The official's "restriction" explanation is consistent with how the rule is administered in practice. Notwithstanding the bare language of the rule, in practice refs require the "grab" or "hold" to affect the play; the receiver's pattern has to be restricted in some manner. Here the 0.2 sec jersey grab did not. Further, up til this point the game had been called rather loosely, at least in terms of play at the line of scrimmage and in the secondary. This call effectively ended the game. You simply can't do that at the very end of a Super Bowl. From your other post, it sounds like the refs made the same mistake two years in a row.

Bradbury didn't say he thought a penalty should be called. He took the blame, but don't for an instant think he thought there should have been a flag. He blamed himself, as upstanding players do (very common in sports). In any event, the video is the best evidence, and it clearly shows the grab lasted a nanosecond and didn't impede the receiver one iota.

Your prediction that the Eagles needed to be up by 17-24 points at the half to win the game didn't age well, did it? Do the math.

Your argument that the Eagles "lost" the game by only being up ten at the half is utterly asinine. The Eagles were up by ten at the half in 2018 and won. The difference is BG stripped Brady then. (Brady, as you'll recall, came back from a much bigger deficit than did Mahomes.) Eagles needed a big defensive play like that one yesterday. Didn't get it. Had they, they might have won, as might have happened had the bad holding call not been made. We'll never know.

Dick Allen's good friend, Johnny Callison, was my idol growing up. Late in life Johnny tended bar outside of Philadelphia. Allen would stop in from time to time. The bar owner hated when that happened as everyone would gather round to listen to the stories and no one would drink. My cousin and I toyed with going over to the bar to meet Johnny, but kept putting it off. Then John died. Big regret.
Dude I was kidding I held cats all the time. That’s why I know what defensive holding is.

I’m just a realist. I know the rules whether I like it called tightly or not if you get caught you get caught and that’s what it is. It becomes offensive when someone tries so hard to claim they were cheated though and starts making arguments in the abstract. It was an enjoyable game to watch. My father had great spirits as a Bills fan living through FOUR STRAIGHT super bowl losses and when he finally got to see the ills live for the first time because we grew up without much money was when I took him after Xmas when I first moved down to Atlanta. The Falcons stomped the Bills but my father had a great time with myself and his grandson (sisters son before I had kids) and couldn’t care less about the loss. That’s grace, not claiming ownership over a team as a fan and saying there’s a dog in the hunt. Complaining about refs is just weak in general.

Hey never ever give in. That’s what fanaticism is all about. I see your working for Fox sports Philly as well.

https://twitter.com/chadblue83/status/1 ... oHEstI0KMA

Had met Allen a few times. He’s greatly scarred by his time in Philly.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Dude, if you want to debate sports, that’s fine. But when you sink to calling me offensive and weak, then I know I’ve won the argument because that tells me you’ve given up and realize you’ve lost since you’re no longer discussing substance.

Tell me again, why you are going on and on about this?

It may be a non-issue in Atlanta, but believe me it’s a huge issue in Philadelphia today. Not sure you’d want to come up to certain bars in Philadelphia and tell the fans they are offensive and weak for talking about the call. I wouldn’t advise it. Ask Hugh Douglas about Philly.

And I have no idea why you are going off on this Dick Allen tangent and injecting all this negativity about him. What does he have to do with the Super Bowl? I’ll answer. Nothing at all.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:51 am :lol:

+1, it was a terrible call at a critical point in the game. I believe Greg Olsen made the observation that the refs need to let the players play. If that was defensive holding then it could be called on every D back on every play. The sad result was the zebras gave KC the game. The eagles would have had 1.40 or so to try and tie the game. Let the players decide the game, not the zebras.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:12 pm

Dude I was kidding I held cats all the time. That’s why I know what defensive holding is.

I’m just a realist. I know the rules whether I like it called tightly or not if you get caught you get caught and that’s what it is. It becomes offensive when someone tries so hard to claim they were cheated though and starts making arguments in the abstract. It was an enjoyable game to watch. My father had great spirits as a Bills fan living through FOUR STRAIGHT super bowl losses and when he finally got to see the ills live for the first time because we grew up without much money was when I took him after Xmas when I first moved down to Atlanta. The Falcons stomped the Bills but my father had a great time with myself and his grandson (sisters son before I had kids) and couldn’t care less about the loss. That’s grace, not claiming ownership over a team as a fan and saying there’s a dog in the hunt. Complaining about refs is just weak in general.

Hey never ever give in. That’s what fanaticism is all about. I see your working for Fox sports Philly as well.

Are you saying that holding on the lax field is the same as holding on the football field? I have watched lax games for a few years now. I still have never seen any consistency on calling slashing penalties.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:12 pm

IMO the debatable issue is how defensive holding is called. There are some refs who call it tight, other refs who call it loose. This is nothing new, it happens in NFL games all of the time. Maybe the refs that saw the play can huddle up and pick up the flag. I feel bad for any football player who is a D back. Your job is to prevent the receiver from catching the ball. How you do that will almost always earn you a penalty. You said you held players all of time. Is that because you wanted to hold them or because they had beaten you? Desperate situations require desperate solutions. My oldest son was a long pole and short stick d middie. He would do whatever he could to separate you from the ball. That was his job. He was pretty damn good at stripping the stick out of the other guys hand. There was nothing more satisfying to any lax defensive player than watching the stick from who you were defending flying through the air.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:57 am Dude, if you want to debate sports, that’s fine. But when you sink to calling me offensive and weak, then I know I’ve won the argument because that tells me you’ve given up and realize you’ve lost since you’re no longer discussing substance.

Tell me again, why you are going on and on about this?

It may be a non-issue in Atlanta, but believe me it’s a huge issue in Philadelphia today. Not sure you’d want to come up to certain bars in Philadelphia and tell the fans they are offensive and weak for talking about the call. I wouldn’t advise it. Ask Hugh Douglas about Philly.

And I have no idea why you are going off on this Dick Allen tangent and injecting all this negativity about him. What does he have to do with the Super Bowl? I’ll answer. Nothing at all.
I’m going off on Philly fans I love Dick Allen. He was treated like crap by fans in Philly for years and late in life still considered them the reason he had problems.

It is weak. It was a good game and being irrational just ruins it for everyone else. This is like my son though. An action can be weak without the person being weak. Id think an attorney would know the difference. Have spent plenty of time in Philly spare me the tough guy act. I’ve been in a fight with Philly fans in the Vet. This is straight up childish behavior over a game you have no connection to other than being a fanatic.

And you’re straight up wrong about the penalty. Wrong wrong wrong. Stop crying about a pro sports team you didn’t play for or have a family member on. But hey because you misunderstand simple things out of being emotional you think you’ve won so you’re a winner!
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”