NFL

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: NFL

Post by Brooklyn »

Jints stinx in the season finale:

The New York Giants' surprisingly successful season came to an end on Saturday with a lopsided 38-7 loss to the top-seeded Philadelphia Eagles in the Divisional Round of the 2023 NFC playoffs. Including two playoff games, the Giants finished Brian Daboll's first season as head coach 10-8-1.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2023/1/21/2 ... iladelphia

In truth, it looked like the Iggles held their fire as an act of mercy in the 2d half.

Daniel Jones completed 15 of 27 passes for 135 yards and an interception. He was sacked five times.
Saquon Barkley had nine carries for 61 yards, most of those coming on a 39-yard run.
Richie James led Giants receivers with seven catches for 51 yards. Isaiah Hodgins had only one catch for 3 yards.
The Eagles had 416 net yards to 227 for the Giants.
Philadelphia had the ball for 35:43 compared to 24:17 for the Giants.

Mebbe next year ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, the Bills got hammered from bell to bell, was actually a worse beating than the score indicates (Bengals got screwed out of a TD too, IMO). Haven't been sold on them all year, they won ugly several times and Allen has to learn to control his emotions, stay cooler and play within himself. Not a big Bills nut like many of my Bills Mafia friends, was glad they got beat. Burrow was masterful, very sweet touch on his passes which were right on the dime....or as half the talking head experts would say, "He put it right in they hands." Bengals looking very tough.
Gotta love this Purdy story...oh, and Dak was, well, Dak...another smooth performance pretty much error free (came within one second of not being error free though...whew). Gotta face those Eagles next, no easy task there, mighty good looking team right now. How cool would it be if Mr. Irrelevant could take the Niners all the way and win the SB? Very cool story.
Am not a hard core football guy, watch it like everyone else does but not a die hard fan of any team. The game makes me crazy in many ways, fifteen or so minutes of football in a sixty minute game which takes three hours to play. Nuts. Not a fan of freeze frame officiating either, it's crazy the extent that is gone to and half the time I think they still get it wrong. The Bengals non TD was a catch....period.
Was glad when Reid pulled the injured Mahomes, it's just the right and smarter thing to do. Then he puts him back in...see RG III. I think it's just stupid to p[lay injured players like that....ESPECIALLY when you don't need them. How'd that back up look when Mahomes was out? I do get a kick out of the big to do made of the many different ways Mahomes will throw the ball, just seems to me any good athlete should be able to do what he does in that respect. One of the commentators said he plays back yard football...exactly what the rest of them should do because you can. Football minds are in the dark ages stuck in caves, no creativity or imagination. Will say again, send these QBs to baseball camps and have them play SS or 2nd, they'll learn how to throw the ball many different ways from there.
On to the next round.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

DMac wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:50 am Well, the Bills got hammered from bell to bell, was actually a worse beating than the score indicates (Bengals got screwed out of a TD too, IMO). Haven't been sold on them all year, they won ugly several times and Allen has to learn to control his emotions, stay cooler and play within himself. Not a big Bills nut like many of my Bills Mafia friends, was glad they got beat. Burrow was masterful, very sweet touch on his passes which were right on the dime....or as half the talking head experts would say, "He put it right in they hands." Bengals looking very tough.
Gotta love this Purdy story...oh, and Dak was, well, Dak...another smooth performance pretty much error free (came within one second of not being error free though...whew). Gotta face those Eagles next, no easy task there, mighty good looking team right now. How cool would it be if Mr. Irrelevant could take the Niners all the way and win the SB? Very cool story.
Am not a hard core football guy, watch it like everyone else does but not a die hard fan of any team. The game makes me crazy in many ways, fifteen or so minutes of football in a sixty minute game which takes three hours to play. Nuts. Not a fan of freeze frame officiating either, it's crazy the extent that is gone to and half the time I think they still get it wrong. The Bengals non TD was a catch....period.
Was glad when Reid pulled the injured Mahomes, it's just the right and smarter thing to do. Then he puts him back in...see RG III. I think it's just stupid to p[lay injured players like that....ESPECIALLY when you don't need them. How'd that back up look when Mahomes was out? I do get a kick out of the big to do made of the many different ways Mahomes will throw the ball, just seems to me any good athlete should be able to do what he does in that respect. One of the commentators said he plays back yard football...exactly what the rest of them should do because you can. Football minds are in the dark ages stuck in caves, no creativity or imagination. Will say again, send these QBs to baseball camps and have them play SS or 2nd, they'll learn how to throw the ball many different ways from there.
On to the next round.
Bengals might not even have been there if Huntley had not tried to leap for the touchdown last week. Ravens gave up less yardage in both games, week 18 and wild card round combined, than the Bills did in one.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
DMac

Post by DMac »

Looks as if the good fortune fairy ran out of Purdy dust.
Cool story, had a super nice run.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Eagles are on another level.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Seems like the dice of destiny were against the Niners all season but especially today. Mebbe next year ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Kansas City wins!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/01/29/ ... ls-repeat/

Really dumb defensive play sets up winning FG.

Patrick Mahomes was forced to rely on his badly sprained right ankle rather than his strong right arm when the Kansas City Chiefs were desperately driving with a chance to win the AFC championship.

The All-Pro quarterback, missing three wide receivers to injuries and battered himself, took off on a third-down play near midfield in another gut-check game with the Cincinnati Bengals. Mahomes strained to reach the mark he needed and was headed out of bounds when he felt the hands of Joseph Ossai send him sprawling into the bench.

The mad dash, coupled with the 15-yard penalty for a late hit, was all Kansas City needed.

Harrison Butker strode confidently onto the field, sent a 45-yard kick through cold, gusting wind over the crossbar with 3 seconds to go, and put the Chiefs back in the Super Bowl for the third time in four years with a 23-20 victory ...

highlights: https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-official-e ... GLeaIcRJ6O

Iggles vs Chiefs = should be fun.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Iggles favored at this time by 1½ points. I believe it will all boil down to the work in the trenches: if Philly OL can hold off KC's DL, they should be able to control the ball and score the most points.

Super Bowl LVII = 57 Super Bowls! I have seen each and am looking forward to this gem as well.

From Google: Super Bowl LVII is right around the corner, and with more than 100 million people expected to watch, brands are getting ready to launch their biggest ad campaigns of the year.

I'm reminded of how so many radical right wingers predicted the demise of the NFL because of players kneeling. LOL. Those delusional nitwits sure as hell were wrong. :lol:

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

If the viewership numbers disappoint, remember that they are up against the replay of the JHU - Georgetown game on ESPNU.
I know what I will be watching!
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Actually, I think the Peacock's showing of ISU figure skating will reduce all such viewerships. Priorities, ya know. :lol:

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a first.....

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Funniest commercial. Michael and Son.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:07 am a first.....

As they grossly exploit the tragedy of Pat Tillman and the cover up by the military over and over and over again.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:37 pm

As they grossly exploit the tragedy of Pat Tillman and the cover up by the military over and over and over again.
No argument. I do see that the essence of his decision speaks to the core of who he was, which I believe is the message that they want to convey.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

KC Wins!

KC 38
Ph 35

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/ ... score-live

Great moves by Coach Andy Reid to seal the victory. I thought KC's Nick Bolton got robbed of a TD when he recovered what was clearly a fumble. Chiefs scored every time they got their hands on the ball in the 2d half. Field goal by Harrison Buttker for the win.

I liked the rugby style drives used by Philly which caused about first downs.

QB Jalen Hurts with 3 TDs. I believe this is a Super Bowl record.

I've watched every Super Bowl ever played. This is one of the most exciting fer sure.

Oh by the way, will there be riots in Philly tonight? Time will tell ...

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:50 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:37 pm

No argument. I do see that the essence of his decision speaks to the core of who he was, which I believe is the message that they want to convey.
What they’re trying to convey and what comes across aren’t the same.

The business relationship between the NFL and military makes it impossible to see the use of him in any other way. They’re selling “toughness and character” and the relationship between the NFL and service.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
njbill

Post by njbill »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:26 pm KC Wins!

KC 38
Ph 35

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/ ... score-live

Great moves by Coach Andy Reid to seal the victory. I thought KC's Nick Bolton got robbed of a TD when he recovered what was clearly a fumble. Chiefs scored every time they got their hands on the ball in the 2d half. Field goal by Harrison Buttker for the win.

I liked the rugby style drives used by Philly which caused about first downs.

QB Jalen Hurts with 3 TDs. I believe this is a Super Bowl record.

I've watched every Super Bowl ever played. This is one of the most exciting fer sure.

Oh by the way, will there be riots in Philly tonight? Time will tell ...
That was not a catch. Clearly. Everyone on TV said so. He got 2 feet down, but you need to make a football move after that for it to be a catch. He didn’t.

But the real terrible defensive holding call at the end of the game was a Horrible call. The receiver was well within the 5 yards and the defender was allowed to put his hands on him.

So it would’ve been fourth and eighth. Give the Chiefs the field goal. Would the Eagles come back to tie or win with one time out and a minute and change? We’ll never know.

Now, on the other hand, the supposedly vaunted Eagles defensive line did nothing in the game. Couldn’t stop the run. Couldn’t get pressure on Mahomes. They allowed the Chiefs to run the same play twice and scored two touchdowns.

Credit to the Chiefs coaches who outcoached their counterparts on the Eagles, and to Mahomes who played a great game. Hurts played very well also, but his strong game simply wasn’t enough.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

njbill wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:40 pm

That was not a catch. Clearly. Everyone on TV said so. He got 2 feet down, but you need to make a football move after that for it to be a catch. He didn’t.

But the real terrible defensive holding call at the end of the game was a Horrible call. The receiver was well within the 5 yards and the defender was allowed to put his hands on him.

So it would’ve been fourth and eighth. Give the Chiefs the field goal. Would the Eagles come back to tie or win with one time out and a minute and change? We’ll never know.

Now, on the other hand, the supposedly vaunted Eagles defensive line did nothing in the game. Couldn’t stop the run. Couldn’t get pressure on Mahomes. They allowed the Chiefs to run the same play twice and scored two touchdowns.

Credit to the Chiefs coaches who outcoached their counterparts on the Eagles, and to Mahomes who played a great game. Hurts played very well also, but his strong game simply wasn’t enough.

~ That was not a catch. ~

Been watching NFL football for over 60 years. In the old days that was a catch and remains so to me. These wimpy rules and standards today ain't worth a ˢʰᶦᵗᵗ as far as I'm concerned. Yeah they called it as you say but I won't be convinced. Anyways they won so it's no big deal.

~ terrible defensive holding call ~

Normally I'm old school and go for what is called in hockey "Hudson Bay rules" where the ref keeps his whistle in his pocket. On a borderline call I would have let it go. But he did grab the uniform before putting his arm around the receiver so that this may not have been a borderline call after all. But just as they say it one way on the previous call, so it is here.

Indeed, Coach Andy's Reid's adjustments are what led to the victory. His defense allowed 24 points in first half but only allowed 11 in the second. That's what made the comeback win a possibility.

I get the feeling this is one Super Bowl folks will be talking about for a long time to come. Sure was fun.

Oh by the way, while I've watched all 57 SB's, I have not watched a half time show in a very long time. I took a brief nap while it was on and that's what I normally do. Didn't bother with the commercials, either. They all ˢᵘᶜᵏ anyway.

njbill

Post by njbill »

I agree the Sanders play would’ve been a catch in the old days. But it’s not a catch under today’s rules.

What everybody seems to be overlooking is that the defensive holding occurred at about the line of scrimmage or maybe one yard off it. The defender is allowed to restrict the receiver at that point by putting his arm around him. Completely legal. It was a horrendous call.

So let’s say the call wasn’t made. The Chiefs have fourth and eight with 1:48 left. Chip shot field goal. Give them that. The Eagles get the ball back with, say, 1:40 and one time out. What would’ve happened? That’s unknowable, but I would like to have seen the game played out to its natural conclusion.

Having said all that, what is most distressing to me is that the Eagles were the better team and should have been able to beat the Chiefs. But they were not the better team today. The team that played better today won the game. The Chiefs coaches really outcoached the Eagles coaches. We here in Philadelphia have a long history of experience with Andy Reid’s bad coaching decisions. Well, he sure didn’t make many today.

The Eagles defensive line was supposed to be able to get pressure on Mahomes. They didn’t. They couldn’t stop the run.

On special teams, the newly reactivated kicker kicks a line drive punt that the special teams allow the returner to get back to the 5 yard line.

Quez Watkins drops a pass that would’ve been a touchdown or close to it.

In a close game in any sport, the losing team can almost always point to any number of things that had they gone the other way, they might’ve won the game.

The Eagles had a 10 point lead at halftime. On the Eagles post game show, one of the guys said teams with leads of 10 points or more in the Super Bowl are 26–1. The exception, until tonight, was the Pats come back against the Falcons.

I’m sick about the loss because all of the stars supposedly were aligned in our favor. But it didn’t happen. Such is life. We certainly had a lot of chances even putting aside the holding call at the end of the game.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”