Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
old salt

Re: Navy 2023

Post by old salt »

Feb 02, Sing Second podcast. Lax talk @ 30 min to 59 min w/ Coach Amplo then Wags. Season preview & encouraging off field stuff.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... IGhAF&ep=6
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Nice start to the season for the MIDS.

Great win against MSM and Sloppy Win over Queens

Keeper
19 was solid and well poised for both game
1 welcome to the family, he is legit
50 and 15 played well in the Queen's game

Defense
#8 is Top 10 defender in the nation
33 is an animal
40 was solid and steady
30 Solid runs at LSM

Attack
24 is all about 24 , holds the ball to long , stick skills are below average, quick first step , couple nice passes to the crease
10- Scrappy , struggled in Queen's
6- just wasn’t his day against MSM
9- welcome to the family
Second Attack was enjoying the shooting gallery against Queen’s, and it just looked sloppy and not very disciplined. Time to get mine!

1st Midfield
29 nice day but the get the ball out of your stick quicker
28- quiet
43- nice early goal and will be one of the work horses again this year

2nd Midfield
It’s going to take some time for them to get in a grove for the younger group.

3rd Midfield
Looked like all Seniors (they looked better than 1st and 2ND Midfield in the Queens game)
I don’t remember seeing them against MSM

SSDM
Solid Day with tons of new faces ! Well Done !

F/O
Not sure what the hells was going on with the Officials in the MSM game. It was like watching a youth game with all the whistle, let the kids play!
Three FOGO’s in the MIX !

But, overall nice start !

Did anybody hear the Navy WLAX chirping the Navy MLAX players during the game? Comical, not very classy ....Although what they were saying had some truth behind it.
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:59 pm Nice start to the season for the MIDS.

Keeper

Defense
33 is an animal
40 was solid and steady
30 Solid runs at LSM

Attack
24 is all about 24 , holds the ball to long , stick skills are below average, quick first step , couple nice passes to the crease
9- welcome to the family
Second Attack was enjoying the shooting gallery against Queen’s, and it just looked sloppy and not very disciplined. Time to get mine!

1st Midfield
28- quiet

2nd Midfield

3rd Midfield
Looked like all Seniors (they looked better than 1st and 2ND Midfield in the Queens game)

SSDM

F/O
Not sure what the hells was going on with the Officials in the MSM game. It was like watching a youth game with all the whistle, let the kids play!

Did anybody hear the Navy WLAX chirping the Navy MLAX players during the game? Comical, not very classy ....Although what they were saying had some truth behind it.
MSM and Queens. Juggernauts of Hofstra and Manhattan up next. Slow your roll. They are going to get throttled by Lehigh, Villanova, BU, etc.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Throttled by those teams because the Mids didn’t start
this season with Maryland, UVA, Georgetown ?!
lorin

Post by lorin »

Creasedive wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:22 pm
TheGoat1999 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:59 pm Nice start to the season for the MIDS.

Keeper

Defense
33 is an animal
40 was solid and steady
30 Solid runs at LSM

Attack
9- welcome to the family

1st Midfield
28- quiet

2nd Midfield

3rd Midfield

SSDM

F/O

MSM and Queens. Juggernauts of Hofstra and Manhattan up next. Slow your roll. They are going to get throttled by Lehigh, Villanova, BU, etc.
Now that’s funny
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Navy lost to Mount St Mary's last year, so there's been some improvement.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Or regression at The Mount. 🤫😂
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:59 pm 1st Midfield
Why ? When you're uncovered, have the ball, with time to set your feet & crank, then hit the corner.
5 goals.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:00 pm
Why ? When you're uncovered, have the ball, with time to set your feet & crank, then hit the corner.
5 goals.
Not arguing, but to goats point...
...b/c it allows the defense to get (re)-organized and a bad shot is a t/o. The best teams move the ball fast, ball does not die in the stick, is in and out in under 2-3 seconds, it forces off ball movement, it forces the defense to get out of shape, it forces the goalie to move cross crease and track the ball.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:39 am
5 goals.
...b/c it allows the defense to get (re)-organized and a bad shot is a t/o. The best teams move the ball fast, ball does not die in the stick, is in and out in under 2-3 seconds, it forces off ball movement, it forces the defense to get out of shape, it forces the goalie to move cross crease and track the ball.
I don’t know if all the best teams do - see Virginia. Looks to me that the Mids are trying to attack earlier in possessions without letting the defense get set. Hard to find a fault in Skalniak’s game from MSM.
old salt

Post by old salt »

5 goals.
I didn't notice the ball dying in 29's stick. I did see him take his time before shooting on 2 of his goals when he was wide open, thanks to excellent feeds.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Off to Hofstra this weekend. From what we have seen so far, Navy should be okay. By the way, what has happened to Hofstra recently?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Abr2016 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:09 pm
5 goals.
I don’t know if all the best teams do - see Virginia. Looks to me that the Mids are trying to attack earlier in possessions without letting the defense get set. Hard to find a fault in Skalniak’s game from MSM.
Big difference in UVA is they move off ball really well and really create a strong presence inside with their 2-2-2 offensive sets, which allows the wings to carry a bit more.....that is not us. I was thinking Terps (last two years), Denver (ball really spins), UNC. Our only real inside finisher is 10, and that is somewhat of a new role for him.

I will say, last year, and even this year, I really advocated to get 24 working off the wings, like he started last Sat, (I like him better there, than at X.. pardon the pun) ....I think it increases his/our chances for him to go topside, under, or feed (like he did to 10 last week)...and he can then carry behind if need be.
~Livy
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:32 pm Off to Hofstra this weekend. From what we have seen so far, Navy should be okay. By the way, what has happened to Hofstra recently?
Could be a bit of a trap game? Hofstra coming out on a mission after the opening loss to Merrimack ('Mack also came from behind after being down in the first quarter by 4 goals to beat Holy Cross by 5)? I think Navy should get the "W" but if Merrimack is 'sneaky good' the Hofstra opening loss to them might not have quite as much predictive value.

I caved in and subscribed to FloSports on a monthly plan so I can see this game and some of Yale's games against teams for whom FloSports is the streaming provider (like Villanova) even though the FloSports customer service experience has been a bit shaky. (I use Roku on my TV for my streaming and subscribed via Roku, so I didn't risk the "subscribe for a year by mistake" that seemed to happen with FloSports and I feel better about being able to cancel once lacrosse season is over.)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:57 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:32 pm Off to Hofstra this weekend. From what we have seen so far, Navy should be okay. By the way, what has happened to Hofstra recently?
Could be a bit of a trap game? Hofstra coming out on a mission after the opening loss to Merrimack ('Mack also came from behind after being down in the first quarter by 4 goals to beat Holy Cross by 5)? I think Navy should get the "W" but if Merrimack is 'sneaky good' the Hofstra opening loss to them might not have quite as much predictive value.

I caved in and subscribed to FloSports on a monthly plan so I can see this game and some of Yale's games against teams for whom FloSports is the streaming provider (like Villanova) even though the FloSports customer service experience has been a bit shaky. (I use Roku on my TV for my streaming and subscribed via Roku, so I didn't risk the "subscribe for a year by mistake" that seemed to happen with FloSports and I feel better about being able to cancel once lacrosse season is over.)
Just realized its not a free stream, thanks for letting us know. I did not notice if you go to FLoSports and click on Mens Lacrosse, they now give you options for Monthly ($12.99) or Yearly ($7.99), but be careful as you noted, b/c it defaults to the yearly plan.
~Livy
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:08 pm

Just realized its not a free stream, thanks for letting us know. I did not notice if you go to FLoSports and click on Mens Lacrosse, they now give you options for Monthly ($12.99) or Yearly ($7.99), but be careful as you noted, b/c it defaults to the yearly plan.
For this game, unfortunately the stream quality is garbage -- it's like stop motion photography. My internet connection isn't the issue as all other streams have worked. Guess I'll tune into the second half on the radio (in the meantime, MD vs. Loyola!). Hopefully it's a game-site issue but it may be that my contractual relationship with FloSports is brief.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:45 pm

For this game, unfortunately the stream quality is garbage -- it's like stop motion photography. My internet connection isn't the issue as all other streams have worked. Guess I'll tune into the second half on the radio (in the meantime, MD vs. Loyola!). Hopefully it's a game-site issue but it may be that my contractual relationship with FloSports is brief.
Chose not to pay the 7.99, glad I did not. Watched all the Loyola game.
~Livy
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:58 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:45 pm

Chose not to pay the 7.99, glad I did not. Watched all the Loyola game.
And the Hop-Georgetown game is a barn burner too.
old salt

Post by old salt »

I got the 12.99 monthly. Will keed for 2 mos so I can see Navy@ Villanova.

My stream is good. The announcers are dreadful. No prep. The color commentator seems to be enjoying her first lax game.

Navy up 7-4. Navy owned Q1, then they switched the offense set & subbed 6 for 10. Hofstra changed fogo & went on a 3 goal spurt to close it to 5-4.

Ryan in goal is the difference so far.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Keep us posted. Saw 10 with 3g, and 24 is 2g/2a, 29a
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”