Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Navy 2023

Post by gymman1031 »

As an Annapolis resident and a supporter of Navy, I am already looking ahead to 2023. Coach Joe Amplo will be in his fourth season. He has recruited quite well, and at least a few more of the players will be his. The next small step for Navy under Amplo will be to:

-win at least eleven games
-get to the Patriot League Tournament Semis

Let's see if they can do that, and maybe even more.
The Orfling

Re: Navy 2023

Post by The Orfling »

Someone else mentioned at the end of the Navy '22 thread that Amplo is good at getting the recruits to the Yard, which I agree with. I'm one of the folks who worried about the attrition from having everyone go through NAPS -- it's still a great tool to have in the toolkit where it would be best for a student-athlete, but I was pleased to count at least 8 first-year guys on the roster who were direct admits and did not stop off at NAPS along the way.
lorin

Post by lorin »

The Orfling wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:36 am Someone else mentioned at the end of the Navy '22 thread that Amplo is good at getting the recruits to the Yard, which I agree with. I'm one of the folks who worried about the attrition from having everyone go through NAPS -- it's still a great tool to have in the toolkit where it would be best for a student-athlete, but I was pleased to count at least 8 first-year guys on the roster who were direct admits and did not stop off at NAPS along the way.
I think next year it’s
BU
Loyola
Navy
Lehigh
Navy has some really good 4 star / 5 star guys coming in direct
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

lorin wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:09 pm
The Orfling wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:36 am Someone else mentioned at the end of the Navy '22 thread that Amplo is good at getting the recruits to the Yard, which I agree with. I'm one of the folks who worried about the attrition from having everyone go through NAPS -- it's still a great tool to have in the toolkit where it would be best for a student-athlete, but I was pleased to count at least 8 first-year guys on the roster who were direct admits and did not stop off at NAPS along the way.
I think next year it’s
BU
Loyola
Navy
Lehigh
Disagree here, there’s absolutely no way army drops off next year.

Culture and talent is too good for that to happen. They shredded defenses all year
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
lorin

Post by lorin »

houndace1 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:16 pm
I think next year it’s
BU
Loyola
Navy
Lehigh

Culture and talent is too good for that to happen. They shredded defenses all year
I hope your right IMO D mids will be the hardest to replace
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

lorin wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:18 pm
houndace1 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:16 pm
I think next year it’s
BU
Loyola
Navy
Lehigh

I hope your right IMO D mids will be the hardest to replace
And Navy has a log jam of SSDM's.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

WRT NAPS/USMAPS, by comparison....

---> Army's starting lineup, on avg, was 7/10 USMAPS players....would have been 8/10 if #11 played this year.
---> Navy's starting lineup, was 2/10 NAPS players Assuming I counted accurately.

Yes, Navy won the star series the past two years....which is important. Getting to another level is an entirely different topic, but when compared to Army Prep players and their style of play.....the Prep Year coupled with pace, appears to be better serving them. Had past classes of Navy, that where also NAPS heavy starters, played with more pace, ball movement, and the reigns taken off....we'd had faired far better, IMHO. The dodge and die offense of yesteryear crippled us.

As far as the current offense.....it's made strides, but IMO, still about 5 years behind the top 15 programs.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Sowell made his first(and only) NCAA Tournament appearance in his fifth season. Let's hope Amplo can do the same before his fifth season in Annapolis comes to an end.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Bias alert: I am about as anti-NAPS as you can get. When I was an 0-6 I helped run a CO of NAPS out of the job. In my experience with NAPS it runs more people out of the Navy then it helps get through USNA. Maybe, just maybe it helps a few fleet sailors refresh math/sciences/study habits. The 80/20 split is a relic of the past so math laden courses for Bull majors is long gone thus lessening the need for NAPS as an academic prep institution.

A foundation year, IMO, is the way to go.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

If it runs people out of the USNA, didn’t it serve a valuable purpose? That question, is certainly yet another discussion that is all consuming, when looked at over decades of data.

I agree a foundation year would be as valuable, but receiving a nomination after that year may pass you by.

I also believe that additional year provides USNA a higher potential for more polished, prepared, and academic officers. Much like those that served in an undergrad college then transition into the Navy. I believe there are more Rear Admirals NOT from USNA if memory serves me.

Neat discussion.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:24 pm And Navy has a log jam of SSDM's.
They ran a 3-4 man rotation. #5 & #37 are gone, #66 & #47 return.
#26 played in 6 games late in the season. #49 in 3 early season games,
Only 2 returnees (#66 & #47) with significant game experience. They need 2 more in the rotation.
Who's pushing to make it a logjam ? Are any Omiddies switching to DM ? ...as #5,#37 & #47 did quite well.
Numerous underclassmen DM's with little game experience. Should be a spirited competition in fallball & preseason.

I don't have any +/- stats to support it, but it seemed like bad things happened (more often than usual) when O-middes had to stay on & play D.
...maybe I was just watching for it more this year than usual.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:21 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:24 pm And Navy has a log jam of SSDM's.
Only 2 returnees (#66 & #47) with significant game experience. They need 2 more in the rotation.
Who's pushing to make it a logjam ? Are any Omiddies switching to DM ? ...as #5,#37 & #47 did quite well.
Numerous underclassmen DM's with little game experience. Should be a spirited competition in fallball & preseason.

I don't have any +/- stats to support it, but it seemed like bad things happened (more often than usual) when O-middes had to stay on & play D.
Just look at the 2022 roster, 13 this year. 5 seniors roll out + the incoming class.....over a dozen SSMD's is a log jam, in my opinion.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:01 am

Just look at the 2022 roster, 13 this year. 5 seniors roll out + the incoming class.....over a dozen SSMD's is a log jam, in my opinion.
Is that, in reality, just a way to divide up the generic former HS midfielders for practice & the way you plan to develop them further.
Is there not a similar log jam at O-middie, or other positions, for that matter ? It's just that the O-middie log jam shows itself in the battle for playing time via MF2 ?

That could be because, this year, 4 DM's played well enough to be in a regular rotation, while no O-middies, other than #64, broke out of the pack enough to run every shift on MF2, game-to-game.

Plus, MF2 can be used situationally, based on opponents & matchups. #64 was the constant as the primary dodger, ball mover & inverter.

MF2 is also a way to get a 4th attackman (#6 or #32) in the mix, e'g. #6 this year after #24 arrived & last year to run #21 in via the box, when #17, #32 & #6 stayed on as attackmen. Bringing #6 on as a middie out of the box, situationaly, can be like releasing a bull out of the chute.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:09 pm

Is that, in reality, just a way to divide up the generic former HS midfielders for practice & the way you plan to develop them further.
Is there not a similar log jam at O-middie, or other positions, for that matter ? It's just that the O-middie log jam shows itself in the battle for playing time via MF2 ?

That could be because, this year, 4 DM's played well enough to be in a regular rotation, while no O-middies, other than #64, broke out of the pack enough to run every shift on MF2, game-to-game.
Sticking to the DM convo:

The DM size has grown by 4 since 2020 and 6 since 2019. It has gone the other way.....5 and 23 where originally O mids in 2020-2021. Maybe there is a method to their strategy or just not cutting anyone?? You typically only need 2-3 DM's/game. IMO, when you start rotating more than 2-3, I think you run the risk of matchup problems unless they are truly equally talented. I think of a Zach Goodrich being primarily 'they guy' at Towson.

in 2019-2021, we where primarily 2 DM's (#10 and #18) with a filtered in #31. #9 looked like he was earning a spot and injury bit him.

I suppose in the end, depth 'could' be a good thing to have, but it certainly is a lot to figure out for only 3-4 coaches. I personally believe it will have the adverse affect....it's much easier to 'check out' when the reps are fewer and when you do go all out and still get passed over; that wears on you. For many of these reason, it is why I am a huge advocate of faster paced lacrosse. I know it's cliché, but a rising tide lifts all boats.

enjoy the games this weekend.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:08 pm
old salt wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:09 pm

Sticking to the DM convo:

The DM size has grown by 4 since 2020 and 6 since 2019. It has gone the other way.....5 and 23 where originally O mids in 2020-2021. Maybe there is a method to their strategy or just not cutting anyone?? You typically only need 2-3 DM's/game. IMO, when you start rotating more than 2-3, I think you run the risk of matchup problems unless they are truly equally talented. I think of a Zach Goodrich being primarily 'they guy' at Towson.

in 2019-2021, we where primarily 2 DM's (#10 and #18) with a filtered in #31. #9 looked like he was earning a spot and injury bit him.

I suppose in the end, depth 'could' be a good thing to have, but it certainly is a lot to figure out for only 3-4 coaches. I personally believe it will have the adverse affect....it's much easier to 'check out' when the reps are fewer and when you do go all out and still get passed over; that wears on you. For many of these reason, it is why I am a huge advocate of faster paced lacrosse. I know it's cliché, but a rising tide lifts all boats.

enjoy the games this weekend.
37 & 47 also switched from O to D after plebe year. 47 started 4 games on MF1 as a plebe,

26 played in 6 games as DM as soph this year, though still listed on roster as M.
Looks like he's the #3 returning DM behind 66 & 47 in terms of DM game experience.

imo -- 4 DM's in 2 pairs is optimum. You can get by with 3 DM's.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Wow! I went to the MIAA Championship on Friday evening. And my thoughts on Navy Stadium as a lax venue went to an even higher level!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

USNA 2022 Graduation LIve stream, Biden to speak this year, begins at 10am: https://www.facebook.com/USNavalAcademy ... 9965050175
~Livy
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

2023 Captains. PATRICK SKALNIAK And KYLE FAIRBANKS

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeOay8vrC-q ... MyMTA2M2Y=
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:59 pm Wow! I went to the MIAA Championship on Friday evening. And my thoughts on Navy Stadium as a lax venue went to an even higher level!
Good times and great venue for lacrosse. Felt like half of Annapolis was there pulling for STM.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Turnandrake wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:21 am
gymman1031 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:59 pm Wow! I went to the MIAA Championship on Friday evening. And my thoughts on Navy Stadium as a lax venue went to an even higher level!
Good times and great venue for lacrosse. Felt like half of Annapolis was there pulling for STM.
Very true! I am hoping that Navy Lacrosse gets good enough so that they can have energetic crowds like we saw that evening.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”