Michigan 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Re: Michigan 2023

Post by gymman1031 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:40 am
a fan wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:06 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:44 pm Michigan gets to the tournament and recruiting will pick up. A 1st team AA chose UMd over Michigan because they hadn’t established a track record but he felt that everything the school offered was superior.
....how does this do anything but reinforce my point?

I'm not saying that Michigan CAN"T get elite talent. I'm saying that they HAVEN'T gotten any. And I said at the time Conry was hired is that: this is gonna take time.

I'm supportive of both UMich, and Conry. I'm reacting to the strawman that gymman is setting up........that Conry is failing, and HE is the reason Michigan isn't meeting gymman's wholly invented standard.

Conry needs time to get this very new program rolling. That's all I'm saying, and nothing more.
I was going to add that Conry is fine. Just needs time. It took coach Shay maybe 8 years before he had a .500 record at Yale. I was also just pointing out that once you win, they will come. You need depth of talent to win. 3 or 4 really good players isn’t enough.
Absolutely! Even with my high standards, by no means do I think that his job is, or should be, in jeopardy. However, with him being in year six, I think now, or very soon, is the time where overall improvement needs to start being shown. Will this be the season it happens?
lorin

Post by lorin »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:35 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:44 pm Michigan gets to the tournament and recruiting will pick up. A 1st team AA chose UMd over Michigan because they hadn’t established a track record but he felt that everything the school offered was superior.

I'm not saying that Michigan CAN"T get elite talent. I'm saying that they HAVEN'T gotten any. And I said at the time Conry was hired is that: this is gonna take time.

I'm supportive of both UMich, and Conry. I'm reacting to the strawman that gymman is setting up........that Conry is failing, and HE is the reason Michigan isn't meeting gymman's wholly invented standard.

Conry needs time to get this very new program rolling. That's all I'm saying, and nothing more.
I was going to add that Conry is fine. Just needs time. It took coach Shay maybe 8 years before he had a .500 record at Yale. I was also just pointing out that once you win, they will come. You need depth of talent to win. 3 or 4 really good players isn’t enough.
Absolutely! Even with my high standards, by no means do I think that his job is, or should be, in jeopardy. However, with him being in year six, I think now, or very soon, is the time where overall improvement needs to start being shown. Will this be the season it happens?
I agree with more time, but please he has plenty of talent on this team, Army gets no 4/5 star players and they have winning seasons, I would also add character counts when recruiting a player not just talent.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

lorin wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:00 am

I agree with more time, but please he has plenty of talent on this team, Army gets no 4/5 star players and they have winning seasons, I would also add character counts when recruiting a player not just talent.
The rankings are meaningless. Army gets good players and then develops them.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:52 am

He definitely has talent. And this year, it will be much more experienced talent.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:23 am

He definitely has talent. And this year, it will be much more experienced talent.
Theoretically, Michigan has a better shot at Virginia than perhaps they might later in the season. Virginia has a lot of guys banged up and out including Lasalla who may not play. Face offs should be an advantage for Michigan in this game. If they can control the ball, who knows.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

blue angels wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:31 am
gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:23 am

Theoretically, Michigan has a better shot at Virginia than perhaps they might later in the season. Virginia has a lot of guys banged up and out including Lasalla who may not play. Face offs should be an advantage for Michigan in this game. If they can control the ball, who knows.
Good thinking!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

It is early now, but so far, the Wolverines are looking pretty good.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:16 pm It is early now, but so far, the Wolverines are looking pretty good.
On offense, maybe. They're on pace to give up 40 goals
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

As I said, Michigan has WAY more experience this season than in the past two. In 2021 and 2022, most of the goals were scored by freshmen and sophomores. Of their first six goals against UVA, all but one has been scored by juniors and seniors.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Wolverines hang'in!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

If Michigan keeper was having even an average day, they’d be winning this.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I know I have been critical of Coach Conry. But I said many times that he would have a much more experienced team this year. So far, I think that is showing. That, and his solid recruiting may be starting to really pay off.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

some of the best lacrosse we've seen from Michigan in their d1 tenure. If they could clear better and stop giving uva these unsettled situations they'd be ok, but this past 15 minutes has been very good from them.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:55 pm some of the best lacrosse we've seen from Michigan in their d1 tenure. If they could clear better and stop giving uva these unsettled situations they'd be ok, but this past 15 minutes has been very good from them.
Without a doubt!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They’ve been the better team 6-on-6. UVA gotten run out goals and way more saves
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

9-7 at the half. Regardless of what happens in the Second Half, I am already thinking Michigan goes on to have their best, and maybe by far their best, season as a DI program.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

13-12, UVA. Wow, Michigan is sure showing balance and depth on offense!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Super effort by Michigan against UVA today. Hats off to Coach Conry and Co, and best of luck to them the rest of this season! Yes, I am believing much more now that Conry is going to be fine.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

They may be better but it's a loss and the first game of the season which often produces strange results.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:21 pm They may be better but it's a loss and the first game of the season which often produces strange results.
That is true. Yes, it is a loss. And maybe if the played UVA later, the Wahoos would win by several more. Still, this was the best Michigan has played in ages, if not ever.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”