Michigan 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Michigan 2023

Post by wgdsr »

i feel i've heard all this before. anyway, hope recruiting picks up for umich.

my thing... i thought i'd like the wing helmets for lax more than i do. it wears on you as the only look. how about an alternate, have they broken one out ever? do they do the stickers in the back, a la go blue?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:30 pm i feel i've heard all this before. anyway, hope recruiting picks up for umich.

my thing... i thought i'd like the wing helmets for lax more than i do. it wears on you as the only look. how about an alternate, have they broken one out ever? do they do the stickers in the back, a la go blue?
Would love to see recruiting, which is already quite solid, pick it up even more, too. The thing is, will it until game results improvements are shown and it is clear that Coach Conry is capable of taking things higher?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:46 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:30 pm i feel i've heard all this before. anyway, hope recruiting picks up for umich.

Would love to see recruiting, which is already quite solid, pick it up even more, too. The thing is, will it until game results improvements are shown and it is clear that Coach Conry is capable of taking things higher?
no word on the helmets?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:55 pm

no word on the helmets?
I haven’t heard anything yet.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Okay...I have to ask: can you think of anything that could get you to consider the possibility that UMich just isn't the draw for recruits you think it is?

You're starting with a conclusion, then looking for a premise for blame as to why Michigan isn't dropping BigTen teams left and right.

I mean I'll admit: I can't believe that Harvard isn't in the top 10 every single year. What's a better draw for a good student?

And yet.....I understand the reality is, I'm not a 17 year old elite lacrosse player, looking to play lacrosse in college.

So really....how many coaches does UMich need to go through before you realize what you're asking of them in a top conference as a program in Michigan....just doesn't comport with reality?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:01 pm

Okay...I have to ask: can you think of anything that could get you to consider the possibility that UMich just isn't the draw for recruits you think it is?

You're starting with a conclusion, then looking for a premise for blame as to why Michigan isn't dropping BigTen teams left and right.

I mean I'll admit: I can't believe that Harvard isn't in the top 10 every single year. What's a better draw for a good student?

And yet.....I understand the reality is, I'm not a 17 year old elite lacrosse player, looking to play lacrosse in college.

So really....how many coaches does UMich need to go through before you realize what you're asking of them in a top conference as a program in Michigan....just doesn't comport with reality?
Michigan regularly gets Top 15-20 caliber classes, even with them not ever having had a lot of success. I think that is definitely a sign that they have a lot to offer.
a fan

Post by a fan »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:06 pm

Michigan regularly gets Top 15-20 caliber classes, even with them not ever having had a lot of success. I think that is definitely a sign that they have a lot to offer.
So you don't have an answer. You've started with your conclusion and are working your way back to a premise, and nothing will get you to even consider that coaching might not be the problem.

Okie-dokie.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:32 pm

So you don't have an answer. You've started with your conclusion and are working your way back to a premise, and nothing will get you to even consider that coaching might not be the problem.

Okie-dokie.
Coaching may not be the problem. We will get a better answer on that soon, though. By the way, you mentioned above that the program being in Michigan might work against it. There are multiple programs as far away from top lacrosse states that doesn’t seem to affect too much. And yes, with all that Michigan has to offer, if too much more time goes by and the program doesn’t at least make it to the bubble on Selection Sunday at least once, I definitely will believe there are issues at the top.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

aren't you both tired of this? it's insane
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Okie-dokie.
Michigan gets to the tournament and recruiting will pick up. A 1st team AA chose UMd over Michigan because they hadn’t established a track record but he felt that everything the school offered was superior. The “lacrosse” wasn’t there yet. Time will tell. If ND can do it, so can Michigan.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:44 pm aren't you both tired of this? it's insane
please don't stop them.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:44 pm

Okie-dokie.
Michigan gets to the tournament and recruiting will pick up. A 1st team AA chose UMd over Michigan because they hadn’t established a track record but he felt that everything the school offered was superior. The “lacrosse” wasn’t there yet. Time will tell. If ND can do it, so can Michigan.
Well-stated. At least coming close to making the tournament could provide a boost to recruiting, too.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:44 pm aren't you both tired of this? it's insane
You came over from the Hopkins thread to tell us this, didya?

Because one things for sure, there aren't any Hop fans beating dead horses over there, yourself included....right? ;)
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:48 pm
You came over from the Hopkins thread to tell us this, didya?

Because one things for sure, there aren't any Hop fans beating dead horses over there, yourself included....right? ;)
At least this isn’t a Notre Dame got jobbed last year by
the tournament committee thread hijack :!:
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:44 pm Michigan gets to the tournament and recruiting will pick up. A 1st team AA chose UMd over Michigan because they hadn’t established a track record but he felt that everything the school offered was superior.
....how does this do anything but reinforce my point?

I'm not saying that Michigan CAN"T get elite talent. I'm saying that they HAVEN'T gotten any. And I said at the time Conry was hired is that: this is gonna take time.

I'm supportive of both UMich, and Conry. I'm reacting to the strawman that gymman is setting up........that Conry is failing, and HE is the reason Michigan isn't meeting gymman's wholly invented standard.

Conry needs time to get this very new program rolling. That's all I'm saying, and nothing more.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

a fan wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:06 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:44 pm Michigan gets to the tournament and recruiting will pick up. A 1st team AA chose UMd over Michigan because they hadn’t established a track record but he felt that everything the school offered was superior.

I'm not saying that Michigan CAN"T get elite talent. I'm saying that they HAVEN'T gotten any. And I said at the time Conry was hired is that: this is gonna take time.

I'm supportive of both UMich, and Conry. I'm reacting to the strawman that gymman is setting up........that Conry is failing, and HE is the reason Michigan isn't meeting gymman's wholly invented standard.

Conry needs time to get this very new program rolling. That's all I'm saying, and nothing more.
No, I am not saying that is definitely the case. Like I said, Conry is working his tail off and is doing some very good recruiting. He did not inherit a program in real good shape. And, the past two years, his teams were very young. However, what I am saying is that a good amount of improvement needs to be shown within the next two-three years for me not to believe coaching might be an issue. I am hoping Conry gets it done. But NOW is the time for the improvement to really start to be shown. Maybe playing a tougher schedule is exactly what the Wolverines need to be more competitive once the important conference games come around.

Let's see what happens against Virginia on Saturday. It will be UVA's first game, too, so they won't be more in the game-groove going in. Yes, they are loaded and a top title-contender. However, with the talent Michigan has, if they get absolutely blown off the field, yes, there should be reason for concern and questions. If Michigan can keep it to within four-five goals against the powerful Wahoos, they wouldn't have too much to be ashamed of.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:27 am

No, I am not saying that is definitely the case. Like I said, Conry is working his tail off and is doing some very good recruiting. He did not inherit a program in real good shape. And, the past two years, his teams were very young. However, what I am saying is that a good amount of improvement needs to be shown within the next two-three years for me not to firmly believe coaching might be an issue. I am hoping Conry gets it done. But NOW is the time for the improvement to really start to be shown. Maybe playing a tougher schedule is exactly what the Wolverines need to be more competitive once the important conference games come around.

Let's see what happens against Virginia on Saturday. It will be UVA's first game, too, so they won't be more in the game-groove going in. Yes, they are loaded and a top title-contender. However, with the talent Michigan has, if they get absolutely blown off the field, yes, there should be reason for concern and questions. If Michigan can keep it to within four-five goals against the powerful Wahoos, they wouldn't have too much to be ashamed of.

gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:38 am
gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:27 am

No, I am not saying that is definitely the case. Like I said, Conry is working his tail off and is doing some very good recruiting. He did not inherit a program in real good shape. And, the past two years, his teams were very young. However, what I am saying is that a good amount of improvement needs to be shown within the next two-three years for me not to firmly believe coaching might be an issue. I am hoping Conry gets it done. But NOW is the time for the improvement to really start to be shown. Maybe playing a tougher schedule is exactly what the Wolverines need to be more competitive once the important conference games come around.

Let's see what happens against Virginia on Saturday. It will be UVA's first game, too, so they won't be more in the game-groove going in. Yes, they are loaded and a top title-contender. However, with the talent Michigan has, if they get absolutely blown off the field, yes, there should be reason for concern and questions. If Michigan can keep it to within four-five goals against the powerful Wahoos, they wouldn't have too much to be ashamed of. But ten or more goals, no. And well more than ten…..

CU77

Post by CU77 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:48 pm
please don't stop them.
No power on Earth can stop them! :lol:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I was going to add that Conry is fine. Just needs time. It took coach Shay maybe 8 years before he had a .500 record at Yale. I was also just pointing out that once you win, they will come. You need depth of talent to win. 3 or 4 really good players isn’t enough.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”