Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by 51percentcorn »

If facilities make the ultimate choice for you - there is no way you are choosing Hopkins. Even if you perhaps understand the facilities presented are in fact primarily for football - they just blow whatever Hopkins can show you out of the water. You have to want certain things to choose Hopkins - legacy and history do not cut it just by themselves. That's Al Gore's uncomfortable truth for Hopkins lacrosse. I just have a hard time believing any recruit is thinking - "they do not have an indoor practice facility - I'm done" Baltimore is not Vermont - average temperature in Baltimore in February is 46 - and for those deniers - global warming is real and it's probably been higher in the past several years - we are not practicing where we can see the Northern Lights.

Post by 1766 »

a fan wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:49 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:51 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:34 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:47 pm
OCanada wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:59 pm No, the bubble should not be a reward for past excellence. It should be an investment that will provide a return on thr investment.

Daniels has not supported the lacrosse team as strongly as past presidents. His is a contributing factor like other factors already mentioned and some i have not seen yet e.g. location etc.

Hopkins is in the B1G. The other members of the conference have far more resources than it does. I expect over time this situation will prove disadvantageous.
Every B1G team has an indoor practice facility except Hopkins. There isn't that much difference in weather where it wouldn't be valuable to the student athletes who practice every day. If nothing else, it says your schools is committed to providing you with the best resources they can. Surely Hopkins with its influential and wealthy alumni can build a practice bubble.

If you take trips to each B1G school you will see facilities that are exceptional. An indoor practice facility is part of that.
They haven't earned a bubble or the flight stuff quint wants. Do something on the field to validate the last investment first.
Build it and they will come. Would you go to a school pitching win something first then maybe we will build you an indoor facility or would you go to a school that shows you an indoor facility and flies charter to games now?

Playing spartan carrot games with recruits doesn't exactly seem like a great strategy. From a practical matter, having an indoor facility and flying charter to games directly helps winning.
Scoreboard says you're wrong.
What scoreboard?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:33 pm If facilities make the ultimate choice for you - there is no way you are choosing Hopkins. Even if you perhaps understand the facilities presented are in fact primarily for football - they just blow whatever Hopkins can show you out of the water. You have to want certain things to choose Hopkins - legacy and history do not cut it just by themselves. That's Al Gore's uncomfortable truth for Hopkins lacrosse. I just have a hard time believing any recruit is thinking - "they do not have an indoor practice facility - I'm done" Baltimore is not Vermont - average temperature in Baltimore in February is 46 - and for those deniers - global warming is real and it's probably been higher in the past several years - we are not practicing where we can see the Northern Lights.
colder the last couple years. and in 2021, a lot colder.

Post by 1766 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:59 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:33 pm If facilities make the ultimate choice for you - there is no way you are choosing Hopkins. Even if you perhaps understand the facilities presented are in fact primarily for football - they just blow whatever Hopkins can show you out of the water. You have to want certain things to choose Hopkins - legacy and history do not cut it just by themselves. That's Al Gore's uncomfortable truth for Hopkins lacrosse. I just have a hard time believing any recruit is thinking - "they do not have an indoor practice facility - I'm done" Baltimore is not Vermont - average temperature in Baltimore in February is 46 - and for those deniers - global warming is real and it's probably been higher in the past several years - we are not practicing where we can see the Northern Lights.
colder the last couple years. and in 2021, a lot colder.
Not to mention rain. Not sure practicing in a cold is a huge selling point but apparently it's not a big deal if you are at Hopkins.

I don't know why these football schools all built these incredible facilities. They apparently don't help.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

1766 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:07 pm I don't know why these football schools all built these incredible facilities. They apparently don't help.
Because they were built for football a multibillion dollar industry
a fan

Post by a fan »

1766 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:17 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:49 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:51 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:34 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:47 pm
OCanada wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:59 pm No, the bubble should not be a reward for past excellence. It should be an investment that will provide a return on thr investment.

Daniels has not supported the lacrosse team as strongly as past presidents. His is a contributing factor like other factors already mentioned and some i have not seen yet e.g. location etc.

Hopkins is in the B1G. The other members of the conference have far more resources than it does. I expect over time this situation will prove disadvantageous.
Every B1G team has an indoor practice facility except Hopkins. There isn't that much difference in weather where it wouldn't be valuable to the student athletes who practice every day. If nothing else, it says your schools is committed to providing you with the best resources they can. Surely Hopkins with its influential and wealthy alumni can build a practice bubble.

If you take trips to each B1G school you will see facilities that are exceptional. An indoor practice facility is part of that.
They haven't earned a bubble or the flight stuff quint wants. Do something on the field to validate the last investment first.
Build it and they will come. Would you go to a school pitching win something first then maybe we will build you an indoor facility or would you go to a school that shows you an indoor facility and flies charter to games now?

Playing spartan carrot games with recruits doesn't exactly seem like a great strategy. From a practical matter, having an indoor facility and flying charter to games directly helps winning.
Scoreboard says you're wrong.
What scoreboard?
The wins you are claiming teams are getting because of "indoor facilities and flying charters to games".

They're not there. You KNOW they're not there.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:06 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:07 pm I don't know why these football schools all built these incredible facilities. They apparently don't help.
maryland and rutgers lacrosse only exist in their present state because of ohio state penn state and michigan and those athletics programs only have the resources they do because of football and Jim Delany's foresight as commish.

the good news is the acc negotiated miserble tv contracts for themselves so "they'll have to make do" w/the resources from those deals.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Simply not true
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Simply not true. I believe you wrote Hopkins program begsn its decline with Rabil’s graduation. The current President arrived and the program begsn its decline. Not the only reason but past Presidents were part of our value proposition
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

ADs and coaches believe facilities make a difference in recruiting players at the macro level. Not the only factor by any means but those involved in the sport do.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

OCanada wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:05 am Simply not true. I believe you wrote Hopkins program begsn its decline with Rabil’s graduation. The current President arrived and the program begsn its decline. Not the only reason but past Presidents were part of our value proposition
Agreed. Team was soaring under Brody. It's been tanking under Daniels.
While we can't look under the hood and see all the details/issues, we can sure tell that the car no longer runs the way it used to.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Of course facilities make a difference - that is one of the challenges facing anyone in charge of the Hopkins program. Not just the facilities that can be accessed directly for lacrosse but facilities that can be accessed by the student body - for example last time I checked Hopkins did not have 2 18 hole golf courses - a museum and an indoor golf facility named after an alumnus that won 18 golf majors. If toys are what drives the bus - Hopkins will lose - have you seen what Maryland has done with Cole? The George Welsh indoor practice facility at UVA? While I am certainly not privy to the architectural plans and operational capabilities of the Hopkins Schmidlap Bubble - I imagine it's pretty close to that - the inflated white eye-sore on the field behind the White Athletic Center where the supposed heat and a/c don't work very well. I've been in Holuba Hall in the winter - everybody but the baseball players doing something were wearing parkas. As far as facilities go you can sell a lacrosse only facility and a great/historic place to play your games - I just don't think a bubble would make much of a difference as would say an extra several thousand in mom and dad's pocket by shrinking the roster to something less than an NFL team.

I don't defend him often but what '06 actually wrote was the players that were around right after Rabil/Huntley were recruited before Daniels arrived in 2009 - which is a factual statement.
This is a real question - can you define the value proposition of the Hopkins President for lacrosse in real terms? - as the term value proposition in and of itself is as broad as can be. And I concede that by all signals Daniels is less engaged then say Brody for sure. So a 5* recruit shows up on campus - what should Daniels be doing to add to the Hopkins value? The kid should be brought to Daniels' office? What? Please be specific - not the typical riddles wrapped in enigmas or the "I already told you so if you don't listen its not my fault." List the exact things that any Hopkins President should do to add to the value proposition that will make a difference in the W-Ls. Because unless you tell me the current President has strangled the ability to recruit certain players - I am not sure I buy what is being sold. Everyone makes a thing about the Brody suiting up for practice after the losing streak in '08 and how that changed the direction of the season - well - I am sure the team got a good feeling from it but what changed the direction of the season was the schedule - Maryland and Navy were pretty offensively challenged in 2008 (Navy scored a total of 9 goals against Hopkins in 2 games in Annapolis and Navy beat Maryland that year 5-4.) Towson was 5-9 that year - Loyola 6-8. They got the revenge match against Hofstra in Baltimore. That's what happened.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:54 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:06 pm
maryland and rutgers lacrosse only exist in their present state because of ohio state penn state and michigan and those athletics programs only have the resources they do because of football and Jim Delany's foresight as commish.

the good news is the acc negotiated miserble tv contracts for themselves so "they'll have to make do" w/the resources from those deals.
yes. uva is really worried about b1g schools for lacrosse because of tv contracts. maryland lax should thank their lucky stars the b1g came along. they were dead in the water otherwise.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

OMG !!! "...global warming is real...". Let's get back to reality folks.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:00 am
I don't defend him often but what '06 actually wrote was the players that were around right after Rabil/Huntley were recruited before Daniels arrived in 2009 - which is a factual statement.
This is a real question - can you define the value proposition of the Hopkins President for lacrosse in real terms? - as the term value proposition in and of itself is as broad as can be. And I concede that by all signals Daniels is less engaged then say Brody for sure. So a 5* recruit shows up on campus - what should Daniels be doing to add to the Hopkins value? The kid should be brought to Daniels' office? What? Please be specific - not the typical riddles wrapped in enigmas or the "I already told you so if you don't listen its not my fault." List the exact things that any Hopkins President should do to add to the value proposition that will make a difference in the W-Ls. Because unless you tell me the current President has strangled the ability to recruit certain players - I am not sure I buy what is being sold. Everyone makes a thing about the Brody suiting up for practice after the losing streak in '08 and how that changed the direction of the season - well - I am sure the team got a good feeling from it but what changed the direction of the season was the schedule - Maryland and Navy were pretty offensively challenged in 2008 (Navy scored a total of 9 goals against Hopkins in 2 games in Annapolis and Navy beat Maryland that year 5-4.) Towson was 5-9 that year - Loyola 6-8. They got the revenge match against Hofstra in Baltimore. That's what happened.
We don't know all the details, but irl, to succeed at just about anything requires support from the top. Did Hop not get some recruits because their standards were too high? We don't know. You mentioned UMD. They're a school that wants to do well at D1 athletics and are committed to it. They are doing great at lacrosse in the modern era, so all the "it's so much more competitive now" talk kind of goes out the window. Is their tuition less? Yes. Are they handing out more competitive financial aid packages? Don't know.... Given the chance, I'm sure Petro or Benson could probably write a book about the subject. The fact that Daniels got into it with the Head Lacrosse Coach speaks volumes to me. That should never ever happen. I suspect that's the tip of the iceberg. I think Lax is just a legacy pain in the neck to Daniels' vision for the school and hence doesn't get the support from the top that it needs/deserves. I can't wait for him to move on and we get a real Prez.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Well at le
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:56 am We don't know all the details, but irl, to succeed at just about anything requires support from the top. Did Hop not get some recruits because their standards were too high? We don't know.
Key phrase - as with most of your posts "Don't know"
Did Hopkins have multiple #1 ranked recruiting classes loaded with supposed 5*s during Daniels tenure? Yes. You lament that Hopkins isn't geting 5 stars these days - so what happened?
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:56 am Don't know.... Given the chance, I'm sure Petro or Benson could probably write a book about the subject.
Is this the same Petro you have repeatedly skewered on this forum or a different guy?
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:56 am The fact that Daniels got into it with the Head Lacrosse Coach speaks volumes to me. That should never ever happen. I suspect that's the tip of the iceberg.
What iceberg? Hazing is a serious issue - people have died at various institutions. Completely appropriate for a University President to look into a hazing issue - particularly after it crosses his desk. You may not like his initial position - you may think he was completely off base - fine - again it was not DP's finest hour. As far as I can tell - this is the only example of his direct involvement - the rest is he doesn't do anything - ennui. When Jerry died he authorized up to $500,000 in matching funds for the foundation which funds a Hopkins lacrosse scholarship - is that OK?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

He's not suiting up in pads for practice but Daniels probably thinks about lacrosse more than 99% of university presidents. I'm not sure the president at Rutgers even knows the school has a lacrosse team.

51 asked for concrete examples of what value adds (in terms of wins and losses) a president could be doing that he isn't and Sag responded with more drivel. 51 has been asking this question for years now and has yet to receive a coherent response from anyone with actual real-world examples and I think that tells you all you need to know about it. Again — Ronny D was an active proponent of the B1G move — you can disagree with the decision but that does not show "ennui" on his part. Quite the opposite.

The teams during the first half of Daniels' tenure — roughly 2010 to 2015 — were quite good. I know, I was on campus at the time and went to every game. The '11 and '12 teams in particular were I believe ranked #1 in the country at several points. 2011 team was the #3 seed in the NCAA tournament but flopped against Denver in the quarterfinals. 2012 team was the #2 seed in the tournament but once again laid an absolute egg against the Terps in the quarters. Was that Ron Daniels' fault?

The 2014 team was pretty good too — thumped UVA at Klockner in the 1st round before losing to an all-time great Duke team in the quarters. And then of course you had the miracle 2015 run to the Final Four. 2016 is when things really started to slow down — injuries played a part but you could feel in realtime that the program was losing steam — struggling just to make the playoffs and then routinely getting trounced in the first round no matter the opponent. 2018 was a bit better, but 2019 was more meh and then we all know what happened in 2020. The COVID stoppage prevented that season from being even more worse.

Long story short — there have been plenty of good men's lacrosse teams while Daniels has been president. Teams that looked at times like legitimate national title contenders that simply choked in the playoffs. There is no reason a #2 seed Hopkins team should only muster 5 goals against what was an unseeded Maryland team in the 2012 QFs. The Terps barely snuck by Lehigh the week before and then got trounced by Duke the week after. It was a far cry from some other UMD teams we've seen. The Jays were heavy favorites for that one and sh*t the bed. Guess the president should have held a pep rally.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:50 am
OMG !!! "...global warming is real...". Let's get back to reality folks.
https://www.weather.gov/media/lwx/climate/bwitemps.pdf
Let's leave the weather out of it. According to this chart from NOAA the normal temp for February in Baltimore from 1991 to2020 was 36.5. Not the normal high or the normal low but the normal temp for all of February. Also the normal temp for Spring 1871 was 57.3 and Spring 2022, 56.4 They don't define spring I am assuming the vernal equinox thru the summer solstice. Not a strong case for global warming but who knows.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The Daniels administration is a Dean Wormer on steroids no fun crowd administration. They should remember that Bloomberg who was probably a classmate and even frat brother of a few you was a greek.

That said Daniels was not responsible
-for recruiting 8th graders
-the repeated postseason flameouts
-the substandard ssdm play
among others

https://lacrossebucket.com/2022/12/12/2 ... blue-jays/
I didn't realize we have a 4 game losing streak against the buckeyes. Feels like the terp one is longer.

Kevin Kilner-apparently an old blue jay and apparently they made a home alone 3. Interview
https://www.sequelsonly.com/kevinkilner

Crawley working with some kids on techniques
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl156J3DhoW/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:12 am The Daniels administration is a Dean Wormer on steroids no fun crowd administration. They should remember that Bloomberg who was probably a classmate and even frat brother of a few you was a greek.

That said Daniels was not responsible
-for recruiting 8th graders
-the repeated postseason flameouts
-the substandard ssdm play
among others

https://lacrossebucket.com/2022/12/12/2 ... blue-jays/
I didn't realize we have a 4 game losing streak against the buckeyes. Feels like the terp one is longer.

Kevin Kilner-apparently an old blue jay and apparently they made a home alone 3. Interview
https://www.sequelsonly.com/kevinkilner

Crawley working with some kids on techniques
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl156J3DhoW/
Kevin is indeed a Blue Jay, he was part of terrific Dulaney team in HS, several of whose top players, including Kevin, played on a Hero's Lacrosse team summer before our senior year in HS along with a handful of my Gilman teammates and a smattering of others...The Dulaney guys were a great bunch of guys, excellent players too. Fun. We won the Hero's league that summer with that group. We had a game with Dulaney first contest of the 1976 season and won 16-1 as I recall, really a scrimmage for each squad as it didn't count other than bragging rights over cold beers later, but I think they went on to win the public league that season as the weather warmed.

He's had a nice film and TV career. Looking forward to listening to the podcast!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”