Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by FannOLax »

Scoobediah wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:57 pm
2016 had a dump Grant who was a disaster. and a bad hire. Senior Day is going to be more hazy about Hop than improved or not? Surely you would know better than I would...16 has subsequently made clear that he was into a back and forth or does it mean maybe going the other way?
You ask about the Bloomberg money...yes, I think that you have specific knowledge of behavior and what the ramifications should be...but I don't know what exactly how rolling suspensions were lots of tension between the athletes graduating and are they doing it on time?
Not long ago on another subject someone made a comment
We will get to 100 pages, and the years will have been well spent even if we will not have ended up exactly where we hoped to be. We already have more pages than all of the Ivies combined, but it will have been worth the effort to get to a hundred this calendar year. Go Hop!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:20 pm
Scoobediah wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:57 pm
2016 had a dump Grant who was a disaster. and a bad hire. Senior Day is going to be more hazy about Hop than improved or not? Surely you would know better than I would...16 has subsequently made clear that he was into a back and forth or does it mean maybe going the other way?
You ask about the Bloomberg money...yes, I think that you have specific knowledge of behavior and what the ramifications should be...but I don't know what exactly how rolling suspensions were lots of tension between the athletes graduating and are they doing it on time?
Not long ago on another subject someone made a comment
We will get to 100 pages, and the years will have been well spent even if we will not have ended up exactly where we hoped to be. We already have more pages than all of the Ivies combined, but it will have been worth the effort to get to a hundred this calendar year. Go Hop!
What’s the record for an annual page count?
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MdLax

I guess I disagree as them being very different as to what defines success...there are some different rules, more money is involved, but for a school like Hopkins, or say any Ivy, the definitions of success are, or should be, (IMO), pretty darn similar.

I do not believe i said that. I said they are very different kinds of programs. I should have added from an administrative, reporting perspective. D-1 is more burdensome. I agree re standards and success i think
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

It seems like you guys might be partially in violent agreement but what the hey - I think the following observations are reasonably accurate:
- O'C is 100% correct - Alanna and Jen inherited an overall strong DIII program - prior to Calder leaving Hopkins had a 2nd and a 3rd in the DIII Director's Cup standings
- Since 2016 Hopkins has compiled a 5th, a 2nd and a 2nd in Director's Cup standings. Traditionally strong DII men's teams for Hopkins - Football, Baseball. Tennis have remained strong and competitive. Men's soccer and basketball's records have unquestionably improved. On the women's side the continued strength of the cross country and women's track teams - the '21 volleyball natty, the '21 field hockey silver, the '22 soccer natty point to a picture of undeniable improvement. So while I think the term "arguably improved" could be put much stronger - it is certainly safe to say the cabal has NOT destroyed the DIII program at Hopkins
- I am not sure I violently disagree with O'C's recent statements on Daniels - I have often said I don't think he really cares that much about lax and as long as 2013 doesn't happen again - he'll be happy to sip his Pinots, Syrahs and Viogniers in Montecito without much thought to lacrosse

I guess where I may take the other turn in the road is I don't see much concrete evidence Daniels has targeted the program for a gelding procedure either. His legacy issue - IMO - has nothing to do with lacrosse and all about his personal stakes in academics and diversity - you may disagree with them - that's perfectly understandable. I guess I need to hear some of the following before I take up my torch and pitchfork:
- He has imposed significantly more stringent academic admissions standards to lacrosse recuiting such that whatever coaching staff can no longer compete effectively for top players
- He has eliminated scholarship money (in fact I believe he authorized a $500,000 match for the Schnydman scholarship)
- He has significantly reduced operational expenses connected with the lacrosse team (for example, if he wanted to cut the you know whats off the lax team - why did they get to fly to Denver for a friggin scrimmage last year and years before that - even if most of the money was raised by the team - why not tell your puppet Milliman - Hey go scrimmage UMBC and I'll pay for the bus to Catonsville). They might not be driving the 750 miles to Jacksonville one could guess this year.

So far I have heard the following:
- He killed the bubble - meh for me others feel this is more important - I know the players would love it in Feb but they'll survive - as I think the past 120 years or whatever have shown the legacy of Hopkins lacrosse was created without a bubble
- He might not allow "bundling" of need and scholarship money which he might be allowed to do under the rules? That's a fuzzy one I don't understand that well and how much of a difference it could make but you could probably cast an argument in either direction but I will say money is an important component of recruiting and is a problem where throwing money at it could help.

I believe the "decline" in the records of the men's lacrosse team are due to two primary factors - not Daniels
- The landscape of the game has changed monumentally with increased competition on the field and in recruiting. This is actually #1 and #1A
- The however many years when Hopkins was a prominent leader in early recruiting (some might say in terms of volume and filling up the class THE leader) and the variety of Type I and Type II mistakes that were made i.e. https://www.lacrosseplayground.com/here ... the-world/ - it was a strategy that (while there may have been skirmishes won and others may have done it with better success) ultimately failed at Homewood
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:46 pm I believe the "decline" in the records of the men's lacrosse team are due to two primary factors - not Daniels
- The landscape of the game has changed monumentally with increased competition on the field and in recruiting. This is actually #1 and #1A
- The however many years when Hopkins was a prominent leader in early recruiting (some might say in terms of volume and filling up the class THE leader) and the variety of Type I and Type II mistakes that were made i.e. https://www.lacrosseplayground.com/here ... the-world/ - it was a strategy that (while there may have been skirmishes won and others may have done it with better success) ultimately failed at Homewood
Haha omg I hadn't seen that link. That's incredible.

Petro was a very good coach for a long time and will always be a legend at Homewood. He however was not infallible and at the end of the day I think when there is a noticeable downturn in performance — due to factors both inside and outside his control — the buck stops with the head coach/CEO and not the university president. I don't really think that should be all that controversial of a take. I don't feel strongly about Daniels either way to be honest. He definitely does not actively care about lacrosse as much as his predecessor did BUT I do think he understands its importance to the university and has done little if anything to prevent the team from being successful. In fact one could argue that the decision to join the Big Ten — which Daniels championed — was done out of real interest in — and concern for the longevity of — the program. He has absolutely no reason to push that move through if he harbors some sort of secret desire to undermine lax. He wants the team to do well. It's good marketing for everything else he's doing.

I'm sure we'll be relitigating it until the end of time but the fact of the matter is there is a different coach now and he and especially the players deserve support. Like the guy before him, he's not infallible but deserves absolutely every opportunity to turn things around. I'm cautiously optimistic about 2023 but regardless of the result, I'm with 51, the jury will likely still be out after this season. This might be his third season at Homewood but the current freshman class is the FIRST full recruiting class that is completely his. The Cornell roster that recently reached the title game — many of whom were recruited under PM — is probably a decent sign he has some idea of how to evaluate talent and build a winning team.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The decline of the program started post rabil-kids who were recruited pre Daniels. University alumni have a bigger beef w/him regarding admissions among other matters but we're staying away from politics here.

Quint was upset the team didn't fly private to ann arbor or wherever it was and believes that student athletes who don't contribute revenue to the school beyond the tuition they pay deserve "royal treatment" and some merch sales related to a brand the last 10+ years of the team have done nothing to enhance. Prince William-the future King of England- flew commercial to Boston last week.

the bubble thing is a joke. since they built clc they've done nothing on the field to merit additions like that. much was made when the clc was built about leaving room for future titles and awards on the steps and walls. so far neither the men or women have added anything other than some big ten titles which are the lacrosse equivalent of carquest bowl titles.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:46 pm It seems like you guys might be partially in violent agreement but what the hey - I think the following observations are reasonably accurate:
- O'C is 100% correct - Alanna and Jen inherited an overall strong DIII program - prior to Calder leaving Hopkins had a 2nd and a 3rd in the DIII Director's Cup standings
- Since 2016 Hopkins has compiled a 5th, a 2nd and a 2nd in Director's Cup standings. Traditionally strong DII men's teams for Hopkins - Football, Baseball. Tennis have remained strong and competitive. Men's soccer and basketball's records have unquestionably improved. On the women's side the continued strength of the cross country and women's track teams - the '21 volleyball natty, the '21 field hockey silver, the '22 soccer natty point to a picture of undeniable improvement. So while I think the term "arguably improved" could be put much stronger - it is certainly safe to say the cabal has NOT destroyed the DIII program at Hopkins
- I am not sure I violently disagree with O'C's recent statements on Daniels - I have often said I don't think he really cares that much about lax and as long as 2013 doesn't happen again - he'll be happy to sip his Pinots, Syrahs and Viogniers in Montecito without much thought to lacrosse

I guess where I may take the other turn in the road is I don't see much concrete evidence Daniels has targeted the program for a gelding procedure either. His legacy issue - IMO - has nothing to do with lacrosse and all about his personal stakes in academics and diversity - you may disagree with them - that's perfectly understandable. I guess I need to hear some of the following before I take up my torch and pitchfork:
- He has imposed significantly more stringent academic admissions standards to lacrosse recuiting such that whatever coaching staff can no longer compete effectively for top players
- He has eliminated scholarship money (in fact I believe he authorized a $500,000 match for the Schnydman scholarship)
- He has significantly reduced operational expenses connected with the lacrosse team (for example, if he wanted to cut the you know whats off the lax team - why did they get to fly to Denver for a friggin scrimmage last year and years before that - even if most of the money was raised by the team - why not tell your puppet Milliman - Hey go scrimmage UMBC and I'll pay for the bus to Catonsville). They might not be driving the 750 miles to Jacksonville one could guess this year.

- He killed the bubble - meh for me others feel this is more important - I know the players would love it in Feb but they'll survive - as I think the past 120 years or whatever have shown the legacy of Hopkins lacrosse was created without a bubble
- He might not allow "bundling" of need and scholarship money which he might be allowed to do under the rules? That's a fuzzy one I don't understand that well and how much of a difference it could make but you could probably cast an argument in either direction but I will say money is an important component of recruiting and is a problem where throwing money at it could help.

I believe the "decline" in the records of the men's lacrosse team are due to two primary factors - not Daniels
I know a few things about IMG and lacrosse kids that played there. All I’m going to say about this clip is Hopkins is lucky it wasn’t starring in a certain Netflix documentary focusing on college admissions for athletes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:46 pm It seems like you guys might be partially in violent agreement but what the hey - I think the following observations are reasonably accurate:

Is that player at Cuse now?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

No, the bubble should not be a reward for past excellence. It should be an investment that will provide a return on thr investment.

Daniels has not supported the lacrosse team as strongly as past presidents. His is a contributing factor like other factors already mentioned and some i have not seen yet e.g. location etc.

Hopkins is in the B1G. The other members of the conference have far more resources than it does. I expect over time this situation will prove disadvantageous.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:59 pm Hopkins is in the B1G. The other members of the conference have far more resources than it does. I expect over time this situation will prove disadvantageous.
Even if it's true that the other members of the conference have "far more resources" than Hopkins (extremely debatable as it pertains to men's lacrosse — did you know, for instance, that Rutgers struggles to even get practice time on their home field, and that they also aren't allowed to practice on the soccer field until April, which is why they badly need their own venue?) how would that be any different if we were not in the conference? The other B1G teams were going to exist with or without us joining. The only real difference is we'd be an independent and not have the chance at the automatic qualifer which completely saved the seasons in 2015 and 2019. Imagine the last decade without a B1G tournament. Yikes. And who knows if we'd have been able to keep the rivalry with Maryland as an independent. What's the point of staying independent if you can't keep some of your longstanding traditions? The B1G has been good for the program and the evidence that the other teams are just one day going to leave us in the dust looks thinner and thinner with each passing year that that does not happen.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:41 pm

Is that player at Cuse now?

DocBarrister
Yeah — I believe that is him,
haven’t seen Syracuse’s roster yet, so don’t know if
he’s on this year’s team.

Post by 1766 »

OCanada wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:59 pm No, the bubble should not be a reward for past excellence. It should be an investment that will provide a return on thr investment.

Daniels has not supported the lacrosse team as strongly as past presidents. His is a contributing factor like other factors already mentioned and some i have not seen yet e.g. location etc.

Hopkins is in the B1G. The other members of the conference have far more resources than it does. I expect over time this situation will prove disadvantageous.
Every B1G team has an indoor practice facility except Hopkins. There isn't that much difference in weather where it wouldn't be valuable to the student athletes who practice every day. If nothing else, it says your schools is committed to providing you with the best resources they can. Surely Hopkins with its influential and wealthy alumni can build a practice bubble.

If you take trips to each B1G school you will see facilities that are exceptional. An indoor practice facility is part of that.

Post by 1766 »

OCanada wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:59 pm No, the bubble should not be a reward for past excellence. It should be an investment that will provide a return on thr investment.

Every B1G team has an indoor practice facility except Hopkins. There isn't that much difference in weather where it wouldn't be valuable to the student athletes who practice every day. If nothing else, it says your schools is committed to providing you with the best resources they can. Surely Hopkins with its influential and wealthy alumni can build a practice bubble.

If you take trips to each B1G school you will see facilities that are exceptional. An indoor practice facility is part of that.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

1766 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:47 pm

They haven't earned a bubble or the flight stuff quint wants. Do something on the field to validate the last investment first.

Post by 1766 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:34 pm

They haven't earned a bubble or the flight stuff quint wants. Do something on the field to validate the last investment first.
Build it and they will come. Would you go to a school pitching win something first then maybe we will build you an indoor facility or would you go to a school that shows you an indoor facility and flies charter to games now?

Playing spartan carrot games with recruits doesn't exactly seem like a great strategy. From a practical matter, having an indoor facility and flying charter to games directly helps winning.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

I don't know why we've directly tied the JHU lacrosse teams Win-Loss record to the existence of an indoor facility or not. For every other institution their indoor facilities exist because of the football team bringing in more than enough money to foot the bill outright and/or the existence of also every other sports team on campus which would find benefit from it existing.

The second part of that would need to be the driving factor for JHU, I suppose your "premier" sports need or desire for it is certainly to be taken into account but the idea that it would be "lacrosse first/only" is rather laughable given the kind of shared facility it is.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

1766 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:51 pm Playing spartan carrot games with recruits doesn't exactly seem like a great strategy. From a practical matter, having an indoor facility and flying charter to games directly helps winning.
What about getting little brother'd by the soccer team? Does that directly help winning? Because I'm hearing that Rutgers lax has asked the school to add turf to the soccer stadium so that both programs can use it, but because soccer prefers grass, the field is staying grass and the lax team remains sh*t out of luck. Have also heard the football team is not fond of lacrosse playing in SHI Stadium. Point is, we all have our battles, don't we.

For a niche sport like lacrosse, there are plenty of benefits to being the big fish in a smaller pond, as Hopkins is. Pros and cons to everything. Things like the exclusive ESPN deal, among other examples, send plenty enough of a signal to recruits.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:31 am MdLax

I guess I disagree as them being very different as to what defines success...there are some different rules, more money is involved, but for a school like Hopkins, or say any Ivy, the definitions of success are, or should be, (IMO), pretty darn similar.

I do not believe i said that. I said they are very different kinds of programs. I should have added from an administrative, reporting perspective. D-1 is more burdensome. I agree re standards and success i think
I answered your question to the best of my knowlesge. A successful D-lll athletic program is much more than w-l records. Are the athletes graduating and are they doing it on time? Are they good citizens? Are they achieving academically? D-1 and D-lll are very different kinds of programs. Not that long ago the NCAA tried to eliminate the D-1 exception for D-lll schools. D-1 makes for a much more complicated athletic program.

Yes, that phrase was what you said...but it was immediately following your description of "A successful DIII program" as being "much more than w-l records"...you went on: "Are the athletes graduating and are they doing it on time? Are they good citizens? Are they achieving academically?"

Forgive me if it seemed to be that you were contrasting DI and DIII on these dimensions, indeed perhaps saying that w-l record is more important in D1 than DIII.

Seems that wasn't your intent.

Yes, some of the reporting, specifically on scholarships, is more of an administrative burden in DI than DIII...but other forms of compliance reporting are, or should be, pretty much identical. Is DI really that much more burdensome administratively? I dunno about that...seems to me that a school which is paying attention to its student-athletes, their health, their grades, and their on and off field performance is not going to differentiate, much, if at all...tracking these few scholarship allotments shouldn't be all that daunting...

Obviously, this becomes more complicated when the money gets bigger, the big revenue sports, and their administration. The money flows are different. Perhaps there's a bit of that for Hop lax?
a fan

Post by a fan »

1766 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:51 pm

Build it and they will come. Would you go to a school pitching win something first then maybe we will build you an indoor facility or would you go to a school that shows you an indoor facility and flies charter to games now?

Playing spartan carrot games with recruits doesn't exactly seem like a great strategy. From a practical matter, having an indoor facility and flying charter to games directly helps winning.
Scoreboard says you're wrong.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

1766 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:51 pm

Petro had top 10 and usually top 3 classes his entire tenure w/Harrison and company practicing in gyms most students, alumni and fans don't even know exist and couldn't find in the bowels of the athletic facility. The ratio of men to women on campus (another reason haters use to dump on the school here) back then by the way was 60/40 and the schools website says it's now 48/52 or whatever it was in the last email.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”