The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: 2024

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:41 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:55 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:35 am Get paid

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema Leaves Democratic Party

Lawmaker from Arizona had often disagreed with leadership on major legislation

Eliza CollinsDec. 9, 2022 7:00 am ET

”I have joined the growing numbers of Arizonans who reject party politics by declaring my independence from the broken partisan system in Washington,” she wrote in an opinion article in the Arizona Republic. “I registered as an Arizona independent.”

The news sent a jolt through Washington just days after Democrats won their 51st seat in the chamber after winning a special election in Georgia, and the move raised questions about whether she would continue to caucus with the party, like independents Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Angus King of Maine. Ms. Sinema had sometimes forced changes to major party policies, and had faced regular criticism from Democratic activists.

Ms. Sinema was elected to the Senate in 2018 after serving in the U.S. House of Representatives and in Arizona’s state legislature. She was the first Democrat to win the state in 30 years. But her stances on major Democratic priorities had raised the possibility of a primary challenger.
Positioning herself early for the reelection run. She would have been primaried by a Democrat, so she is staking out the "Independent" geography to avoid the fight and split the vote in the general. She only does strategic things aimed at herself.
It is doubtful she will win as an independent - she is roundly hated within D circles in AZ, and running as an independent will only lead to a three way race in which she has a good chance of finishing third...
Does it throw the seat to the GOP?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:00 am

”I have joined the growing numbers of Arizonans who reject party politics by declaring my independence from the broken partisan system in Washington,” she wrote in an opinion article in the Arizona Republic. “I registered as an Arizona independent.”

The news sent a jolt through Washington just days after Democrats won their 51st seat in the chamber after winning a special election in Georgia, and the move raised questions about whether she would continue to caucus with the party, like independents Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Angus King of Maine. Ms. Sinema had sometimes forced changes to major party policies, and had faced regular criticism from Democratic activists.

Ms. Sinema was elected to the Senate in 2018 after serving in the U.S. House of Representatives and in Arizona’s state legislature. She was the first Democrat to win the state in 30 years. But her stances on major Democratic priorities had raised the possibility of a primary challenger.
Positioning herself early for the reelection run. She would have been primaried by a Democrat, so she is staking out the "Independent" geography to avoid the fight and split the vote in the general. She only does strategic things aimed at herself.
It is doubtful she will win as an independent - she is roundly hated within D circles in AZ, and running as an independent will only lead to a three way race in which she has a good chance of finishing third...
Does it throw the seat to the GOP?
I am doubtful, at this point anyway, that she syphons away a single vote from a good Democratic candidate.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Sinema, if she actually decides to run again (not entirely sure she will), will be well funded from her pharma and carried interest type supporters...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:44 am Sinema, if she actually decides to run again (not entirely sure she will), will be well funded from her pharma and carried interest type supporters...
yup, very well-funded.

Seacoaster,
Is this a situation, though, where a "good" Dem candidate needs to be a moderate?
Not a fire-breather?
Left of Sinema, but not far?

and does it not also depend, a bit, on the GOP candidate being from the whack-job mold?

I agree that Sinema would have lost in a Dem primary. This is probably her best hope.
But they don't have ranked-choice voting, correct?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:52 am
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:44 am Sinema, if she actually decides to run again (not entirely sure she will), will be well funded from her pharma and carried interest type supporters...
yup, very well-funded.

Seacoaster,
Is this a situation, though, where a "good" Dem candidate needs to be a moderate?
Not a fire-breather?

and does it not also depend, a bit, on the GOP candidate being from the whack-job mold?

I agree that Sinema would have lost in a Dem primary. This is probably her best hope.
I’d say s/he has to be aligned with Kelly. So yes, moderate Democrat.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:08 am
yup, very well-funded.

Seacoaster,
Not a fire-breather?

Agreed.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hence my intro note "get paid"...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:52 am

I don't disagree. She has alienated most Democrats, and is not palatable to the AZ GOP (maybe the craziest State apparatus in the Country), and kind of stands for nothing in particular.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/statu ... 4895201281
I don't get why she's so loathed for being a moderate/middle-ish democrat. Yes, she's an attention you know what "focused internally" person, but so is every national politician as meglomaniacs tend to be. But is she supposed to be dogmatic and monolithic to progressive positions?

I prefer Manchin of the two as he seems to represent his folks more than she does, but this position feeds further into the tribalism that's infected, polluted and ultimately corrupted to the core the Republican party I had embraced my entire life. Do we want to "eye for an eye" this s**t?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... not really surprised. I posted yesterday that she seemed different in recent days. Seemed like she was more comfortable in her own skin. I thought maybe because she had made peace with those inside the democratic party that she was feuding with. This makes more sense.

It may be a good move for her. There are more independent voters in AZ than democrats IRCC. I would think it would be a 3 way race in 2024. She is a strange duck, maybe she would feel more comfortable as a republiCON but I don't think she is that crazy.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:19 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:08 am
yup, very well-funded.

Seacoaster,
Not a fire-breather?

Agreed.
... Kelly was not happy with her because she offered and gave no support in his re-election bid. She really is a loner, which I can understand.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:23 am

I don't disagree. She has alienated most Democrats, and is not palatable to the AZ GOP (maybe the craziest State apparatus in the Country), and kind of stands for nothing in particular.

I don't get why she's so loathed for being a moderate/middle-ish democrat. Yes, she's an attention you know what "focused internally" person, but so is every national politician as meglomaniacs tend to be. But is she supposed to be dogmatic and monolithic to progressive positions?

I prefer Manchin of the two as he seems to represent his folks more than she does, but this position feeds further into the tribalism that's infected, polluted and ultimately corrupted to the core the Republican party I had embraced my entire life. Do we want to "eye for an eye" this s**t?
I think what was frustrating to Dems these past 2 years wasn't so much that she is moderate, not getting on board with the most progressive policies, but rather that, unlike Manchin, they had enormous difficulty getting her to tell them what it would take, what compromise would be required, to move legislation. Manchin was typically more clear about what it would take, and he'd propose specific compromises...not what some Dems wanted, but at least they knew. She withheld. And this made them look inept and ineffective. Bad look.

And what became particularly predictable was that she was going to back the carried interest crowd and protect big pharma...and other than donations, it wasn't based on any particular rationale that was understandable.

So, rolling back the most egregious aspects of the Trump/McConnell tax cuts never got done...she was the key vote preventing.

Likewise, the blocking of voting reform...was it 'moderate' or something else?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Sinema has effectively become captive to her funders - and that makes her the blockade as they are typically big pharma and big money management. She _says_ she is moderate, but as pointed out above, she does not really take positions proactively like Manchin, but stays out of things until the end when she often is just a big no.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:55 am Sinema has effectively become captive to her funders - and that makes her the blockade as they are typically big pharma and big money management. She _says_ she is moderate, but as pointed out above, she does not really take positions proactively like Manchin, but stays out of things until the end when she often is just a big no.
+1
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:23 am

... not really surprised. I posted yesterday that she seemed different in recent days. Seemed like she was more comfortable in her own skin. I thought maybe because she had made peace with those inside the democratic party that she was feuding with. This makes more sense.

It may be a good move for her. There are more independent voters in AZ than democrats IRCC. I would think it would be a 3 way race in 2024. She is a strange duck, maybe she would feel more comfortable as a republiCON but I don't think she is that crazy.
Like a Judd Gregg or Lincoln Chaffee
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:39 am

I think what was frustrating to Dems these past 2 years wasn't so much that she is moderate, not getting on board with the most progressive policies, but rather that, unlike Manchin, they had enormous difficulty getting her to tell them what it would take, what compromise would be required, to move legislation. Manchin was typically more clear about what it would take, and he'd propose specific compromises...not what some Dems wanted, but at least they knew. She withheld. And this made them look inept and ineffective. Bad look.

And what became particularly predictable was that she was going to back the carried interest crowd and protect big pharma...and other than donations, it wasn't based on any particular rationale that was understandable.

So, rolling back the most egregious aspects of the Trump/McConnell tax cuts never got done...she was the key vote preventing.

That’s fair but then why did so many on the left lump her and Manchin together as indistinguishable (at least publicly)?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:55 am Sinema has effectively become captive to her funders - and that makes her the blockade as they are typically big pharma and big money management. She _says_ she is moderate, but as pointed out above, she does not really take positions proactively like Manchin, but stays out of things until the end when she often is just a big no.
Fine but see my reply to MD. Much of the left lumped Manchin and here together a synonymous.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

The lady has a large NEGATIVE rating from both Republicans and Democrats in AZ. Pretty much everyone there dislikes her. She knew she was going to get primaried if she chooses to run for re-election as a Democrat. Not enough $$$$$$ to run as an independent and doubt she wants to see some MAGA idiot win in a three-way race as that would not be good for the donors who support her.

In today's politics EVERYTHING is about LEVERAGE. She had it and won't have as much, if any, going forward. Best bet is she'll opt out of running again and take a multi-million lobbying gig with her pals in Pharma and Banking who she has been taking care of for the past few years.
Last edited by Kismet on Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
njbill

Post by njbill »

There were questions about whether Sinema would run in 2024. This move seems to clearly indicate that she will AND that she doesn’t think she can win the Democratic primary (which at this point seems to be a given).

I haven’t looked at the list recently, but I suspect this seat will be number one on the Republican’s list of seats they think they can flip in two years.

Assuming Arizona doesn’t have ranked choice voting or the 50% rule like Georgia, this development could help the Republicans win the seat. I would see her taking more votes away from the Democrat than the Republican. Of course, who wins will depend heavily on candidate quality as the Squire of Kentucky likes to say. Will the Republicans finally wake up and start running good candidates? If so, they’ll have a good shot at taking the seat. Who will the Democrats run? I don’t know. Hopefully they find somebody of as high quality as Mark Kelly.

Two things will help the Democrats. One, the state is edging bluer. Two, the crazies still seem to control the Republican party there.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:37 pm

That’s fair but then why did so many on the left lump her and Manchin together as indistinguishable (at least publicly)?
... think she was/is a hard person to understand her motivations, and was easily typed as a Manchin, because it was something they knew. I think she is just a loner, not a joiner, not comfortable inside a larger organization where you have to compromise -- there are people like that. Square peg in a round hole environment.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:10 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:37 pm

... think she was/is a hard person to understand her motivations, and was easily typed as a Manchin, because it was something they knew. I think she is just a loner, not a joiner, not comfortable inside a larger organization where you have to compromise -- there are people like that. Square peg in a round hole environment.
I think that's probably correct, though her capture by big Pharma is not equivalent to Manchin and carbon, far as I know...does she actually have voters there who care about protecting big Pharma and carried interest or just national donors?

But to Geneva's question, she was lumped in with Manchin because they were the two predictable hold out possibilities on many issue where the rest of the party was willing to sign on. As previously noted, she drew more ire because she kept making noises like things were possible, but then wouldn't provide any path to compromise. She's not a problem solver...Manchin is much more so.

Return to “POLITICS”