2022 Midterms

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Seacoaster(1)

Re: 2022 Midterms

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:49 pm Interesting reaction to the election on DW, BBC & France24.
Tremendous relief & restoration of faith in the American electorate & US democracy.
They were really alarmed by the Dems' scare tactics.
Can you post the articles/videos from DW, BBC and F-24?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Good article on where the uncalled House races stand.

https://apple.news/Asd1vcl3sQxamqhn1rhM78A
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

njbill wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:04 am Good article on where the uncalled House races stand.

Declare Don, Declare! Declare Don, Declare!

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:14 am
njbill wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:04 am Good article on where the uncalled House races stand.

Declare Don, Declare! Declare Don, Declare!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFhrONRcqlQ
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:13 am
old salt wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:49 pm Interesting reaction to the election on DW, BBC & France24.
Tremendous relief & restoration of faith in the American electorate & US democracy.
https://www.france24.com/en/video/20221 ... -explained

https://www.france24.com/en/tv-shows/in ... n-expected

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
elonmuskrockefeller

Post by elonmuskrockefeller »

Kari Lake ought to be named governor of Arizona later this evening.
old salt

Post by old salt »

I saw their 30 min nightly news shows for US audiences available in my cable pkg via PBS stations for Wed & Thur

Google these : [dw the day] [bbc news america] [france24 us news] & you might get some.
Watch for : DW - Brent Goff / BBC - Katty Kay & Laura Trevelyan
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:52 am Kari Lake ought to be named governor of Arizona later this evening.
Actually this video is more indicative of Rhonda Burgundy

Help me Rhonda :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
stay away from H2O :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW Salty - Katty Kay is a fixture on MSNBC.
Last edited by Kismet on Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:57 pm
Oh ye of little faith. The Catholic Supreme Court can still send us back to the Catholic dark ages. This was just one of many opportunities. We have another 2-20+ years of keeping authoritarianism at bay, if not longer. You'll get many more chances my main man!
Old Salt has forgotten that Fake Conservatives told us that all major US cities burnt to the ground two years ago during protests that lasted 10 years. Oh, and that the protests then were about Netflix raising prices by a dollar a month, not about civil rights.
njbill

Post by njbill »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:52 am Kari Lake ought to be named governor of Arizona later this evening.
She might take the lead when we get our once daily Maricopa dump this evening, but she won't be crowned tonight. There still probably will be hundreds of thousands of votes state-wide to count even after today.

Her entire hopes now depend on how she does with the election day drop off of mail ballots (290,000 in Maricopa), some portion of which should be counted today and reported tonight. Pundits simply don't know if the 2020 experience will repeat itself. If this group of ballots mirrors the voting to date, she's probably toast. If it is like 2020, she may be in good shape.

Now, they may be able to call the AZ senate race tonight.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:15 am
Oh ye of little faith. The Catholic Supreme Court can still send us back to the Catholic dark ages. This was just one of many opportunities. We have another 2-20+ years of keeping authoritarianism at bay, if not longer. You'll get many more chances my main man!
Old Salt has forgotten that Fake Conservatives told us that all major US cities burnt to the ground two years ago during protests that lasted 10 years. Oh, and that the protests then were about Netflix raising prices by a dollar a month, not about civil rights.
You see Carville and Maher lately?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:32 am
She might take the lead when we get our once daily Maricopa dump this evening, but she won't be crowned tonight. There still probably will be hundreds of thousands of votes state-wide to count even after today.

Her entire hopes now depend on how she does with the election day drop off of mail ballots (290,000 in Maricopa), some portion of which should be counted today and reported tonight. Pundits simply don't know if the 2020 experience will repeat itself. If this group of ballots mirrors the voting to date, she's probably toast. If it is like 2020, she may be in good shape.

Now, they may be able to call the AZ senate race tonight.
It's indeed a mystery.
2018, same day drop offs broke well Dem.
2020, broke R...

So, why? Could that have been all the MAGA opposition to mail-in and yet a lot of older voters didn't want to actually go inside polling stations...we handed our ballots to a poll worker at the drop points from the window of our car. Younger MAGA made a show of going inside, no masks or masks below nose, scarf etc...

Did those same older voters go inside this time? That group indeed tilted heavily R, older.

We chose to do early voting at the polling booth, inside, this year, but only did so because we knew we were going out of town before Election Day. Otherwise, I like the feeling of voting on Election Day with others. Seeing neighbors, etc. Kinda ritual...younger voters don't feel that way as much, less well off voters have more time pressure, etc.

But this year it may well have reverted back to the 2018 pattern, more voters with time pressures, just didn't get it done earlier, younger, procrastinators, and this year might have been a little worried about the stories about voter intimidation at drop boxes.

To do a drop box vote, typically needed to request the ballot in advance...is that the case in Arizona? Would MAGA voters have done so as much as Dem voters???

Gotta say, the early voting was super easy in Maryland, one, two, three.

But it's a mystery as to what happened in Arizona with this big batch of voters...
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... results for dems are looking better and better in the House. 99% (IMO) probability they will take the Senate seats in both Arizona and Nevada. If they do, I would bet they win in Georgia as well. Governors and local offices are falling to democrats all across the country. Most impressive single win is the Michigan result (more impressive than DeSantis in Florida). Whitmer won re-election without the help of a legislature in her pocket, unlike DeSantis. Instead she brought a complete changeover of the legislature to her party (something not seen in 40 years) along with her win.

Not a red tsunami, or a red wave, or even a red ripple. It is a rising blue tide. :D
Last edited by jhu72 on Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:41 am
Carville is really happy, Maher has crow to eat, he panics too easily. Moore got it more right than any of the talking heads. John Della Volpe really nailed the major cause for the observed results -- the youngsters have had enough, and are voting!
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:41 am
Yes. Both have been asking the same thing for decades......no mention of race or gender stuff. Pretty easy to ask for when you're white and straight.

More to the point, they both conflate stuff that "someone in America" says about gender or race with what comes out of a Dem Candidates mouth. The Dem party can't control American culture. And 18-30 year old voters don't view the gender/race/culture stuff the way 60 year old white Dems like Maher and Carville do. Shocker.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

old salt wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:05 am
I saw their 30 min nightly news shows for US audiences available in my cable pkg via PBS stations for Wed & Thur

Google these : [dw the day] [bbc news america] [france24 us news] & you might get some.
Watch for : DW - Brent Goff / BBC - Katty Kay & Laura Trevelyan
Thanks.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I like going to the polls in person as well. I signed up for a mail ballot back during COVID and must have checked a box that says I want them sent to me from now on, as I get them for every election now. Need to look into how to undo what I did. But I am getting used to filling out the mail ballot. Super easy to run it up (less than a mile) to a drop box at the town library.

Assuming tonight's Maricopa dump has a significant number of election day mail ballots, we should get a good read on how they are breaking.

I like Warnock's chances as well. Sent him some money last night. I'd guess few if any voters will flip from one to the other on Dec. 6. So the keys will be to get your voters to vote again and maybe to scare up some new voters who didn't vote on Nov. 8. Not sure what the voters who voted for the third party candidate will do. Not vote? If they vote, how will they break? No idea, but the numbers are such that they could tip the election.

Oh, and we have another month for more Hershel "news" to come out.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

njbill wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:52 pm I like going to the polls in person as well. I signed up for a mail ballot back during COVID and must have checked a box that says I want them sent to me from now on, as I get them for every election now. Need to look into how to undo what I did. But I am getting used to filling out the mail ballot. Super easy to run it up (less than a mile) to a drop box at the town library.

Assuming tonight's Maricopa dump has a significant number of election day mail ballots, we should get a good read on how they are breaking.

I like Warnock's chances as well. Sent him some money last night. I'd guess few if any voters will flip from one to the other on Dec. 6. So the keys will be to get your voters to vote again and maybe to scare up some new voters who didn't vote on Nov. 8. Not sure what the voters who voted for the third party candidate will do. Not vote? If they vote, how will they break? No idea, but the numbers are such that they could tip the election.

Oh, and we have another month for more Hershel "news" to come out.
... Walker voters who are holding their nose (a lot of his support) won't show up if the dems take the other two seats.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I agree.
ggait

Post by ggait »

1. The Dobbs thing turned out to be real.

There were five specific abortion referenda on the ballot. Pro-choice won all of them (MT, KY, Mich, VT, CA). Nick off the gals, and they'll vote against you in huge numbers.

On a state-wide basis, there's surprisingly few red states where the voters (if given the chance) would actually vote to approve Gilead. The only thing that will preserve the Gilead position is those states (like TX) where the voters are not able to directly get pro-choice on the ballot. But elsewhere (like say Ohio) the voters will soon tell their red legislature/governor to pound sand.

2. Folks, thankfully, are finally saying no to crazy. In both parties. But there's obviously like 50X more crazy on the GOP side. The worry is that while the 100% crazy will go away, the cleaned up crazy (DeSantis) will stil be in ample supply.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.

Return to “POLITICS”