Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: Recruiting

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Lax247 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:55 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:45 am I don't know who has the best recruiting class...and I'd respectfully suggest no one else does either. The proof of the pudding, as the Bard (not Bart) said, is in the eating. We will see how these kids do and develop over the next few years. Why argue over these teenagers?

Someone posted, in part, this:

"UMD had the number 1 classes in 2021 and 2022. The last generational recruit was Taylor Cummings. Wurzberger was probably the highest rated since but is kind of a bust."

No, I am not Mr. Wurzberger. But calling her "kind of a bust" is really pretty much ludicrous. She scored over 30 goals playing one of the nardest schedules in Division 1 her freshman year, and 35 or so her sophomore year, on teams with some of the most prolific scorers in the history of the sport and five or six credible alternative options on the field with her at any and every given time. Just a dumb comment. If she went into the portal, I guarantee that even the Queens of the Crab Cakes would be very interested.
unless Wurtzburger broke the rookie points or goals record her freshmen year she was never going to live up to the unbelievable hype she had coming in from HS.
I don’t think there’s a single rookie in the country that could’ve broken the freshman scoring record walking into that returning lineup.

And as for her being slight, that never gave Ortega or Messinger much trouble
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:34 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:45 am I don't know who has the best recruiting class...and I'd respectfully suggest no one else does either. The proof of the pudding, as the Bard (not Bart) said, is in the eating. We will see how these kids do and develop over the next few years. Why argue over these teenagers?

"UMD had the number 1 classes in 2021 and 2022. The last generational recruit was Taylor Cummings. Wurzberger was probably the highest rated since but is kind of a bust."

No, I am not Mr. Wurzberger. But calling her "kind of a bust" is really pretty much ludicrous. She scored over 30 goals playing one of the nardest schedules in Division 1 her freshman year, and 35 or so her sophomore year, on teams with some of the most prolific scorers in the history of the sport and five or six credible alternative options on the field with her at any and every given time. Just a dumb comment. If she went into the portal, I guarantee that even the Queens of the Crab Cakes would be very interested.
unless Wurtzburger broke the rookie points or goals record her freshmen year she was never going to live up to the unbelievable hype she had coming in from HS.
I don’t think there’s a single rookie in the country that could’ve broken the freshman scoring record walking into that returning lineup.

Belle Smth

Mesinger was just a tough player
Ortega and little thicker, taller and relentless.
and im not saying she could have. Im saying there was huge expectation of her being a record breaker as she was a prolific scorer in HS.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Seacoaster(1) wrote
But calling her "kind of a bust" is really pretty much ludicrous.
Ludicrous and baffling. Watch her play and see bust??
madlaxer59

Post by madlaxer59 »

when Ortega started as a freshmen she played with Maggie Bill, Marie McCool (not a great ball sharer), Katie Hoeg, kara Klages, Ella Hazar, Olvia Ferruci, and others - and she was routinely pulled during games....she broke the rookie scoring record. She was just that good. where's there's a will there's a way. The prob was Wurz could not play any where else than low attack and behind the net. So she had to compete with Hoeg.
Last year she prob played more minutes than any other attacker on that field. She had good numbers not great.
NotFromMD

Post by NotFromMD »

First time, be kind. Wurzburger has flown under the radar. I don't know her, have never met her...We live close enough to UNC that we hit most of the hone games, and for some reason, I focus on her because she is really interesting to watch. 2021 she was Hoeg's understudy. Last year she had solid numbers, but here is why I say she hasn't received the respect she may deserve....she may not be flashy, but watch her off ball, go back and watch the 4th qtr of the Northwestern semi game. She had the goal that started the comeback. With 4 minutes left, she had one of the most incredible back checks and caused turnovers I have ever seen. Pretty sure it resulted in another goal. Upcoming season is Belle's for the taking. But don't sleep on Wurzburger yet. Let's see what she does this season.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

madlaxer59 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:10 pm

when Ortega started as a freshmen she played with Maggie Bill, Marie McCool (not a great ball sharer), Katie Hoeg, kara Klages, Ella Hazar, Olvia Ferruci, and others - and she was routinely pulled during games....she broke the rookie scoring record. She was just that good. where's there's a will there's a way. The prob was Wurz could not play any where else than low attack and behind the net. So she had to compete with Hoeg.
Last year she prob played more minutes than any other attacker on that field. She had good numbers not great.
She was something else--right out of the gate too:

wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Lax247 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:46 pm

Belle Smth

Mesinger was just a tough player
Ortega and little thicker, taller and relentless.
and im not saying she could have. Im saying there was huge expectation of her being a record breaker as she was a prolific scorer in HS.
If Smith is a freshman at UNC in 2021 I don’t think she does it either. They just brought too much back. It would be like Smith being a freshman on BC’s 2019 team. That doesn’t make her any less talented, but available opportunity plays a part.

And I agree, the hype around her was excessive and unfair. Not that she wasn’t deserving, but for lacrosse media to just keep piling on the hype over an 8th grader I thought was almost irresponsible, I guess?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Bill was recovering from a knee injury and did not play until the 5th game of the season. Even then, she really did not look like her old self until the ACC tournament. Hoeg and Hazar, both capable goal scorers, were both more facilitators/assisters and complemented Ortega more than they took shots away. McCool, Klages, & Ferrucci - sure, fine. I just don’t think that attacking lineup was as deep or talented as the 2021 one. And to your point - Jamie Ortega did not come in her freshman year with a Jamie Ortega-like returning at attack. If she had, we’ll never know what kind of numbers she would have put up and it’s not worth trying to guess. Opportunity and spots on the depth chart vary greatly for each incoming class.
madlaxer59

Post by madlaxer59 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:21 am

Bill was recovering from a knee injury and did not play until the 5th game of the season. Even then, she really did not look like her old self until the ACC tournament. Hoeg and Hazar, both capable goal scorers, were both more facilitators/assisters and complemented Ortega more than they took shots away. McCool, Klages, & Ferrucci - sure, fine. I just don’t think that attacking lineup was as deep or talented as the 2021 one. And to your point - Jamie Ortega did not come in her freshman year with a Jamie Ortega-like returning at attack. If she had, we’ll never know what kind of numbers she would have put up and it’s not worth trying to guess. Opportunity and spots on the depth chart vary greatly for each incoming class.
"Jamie Ortega did not come in her freshman year with a Jamie Ortega-like returning at attack."

what does this mean?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

madlaxer59 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:26 am

"Jamie Ortega did not come in her freshman year with a Jamie Ortega-like returning at attack."

what does this mean?
It means when Jamie Ortega walked onto the field as a freshman, yes she was playing with some other talented attackers, but she was not competing with a generational, record breaking attacking talent (a “Jamie Ortega-like player”). Someone who holds 4 of the top 5 single season goals records & broke school, conference, and NCAA scoring records. Wurzburger did. The experience and depth of the attacking units Ortega and Wurzburger came in to as freshman were completely different.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I understood what you meant w20.
madlaxer59

Post by madlaxer59 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:45 am
madlaxer59 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:26 am

what does this mean?
It means when Jamie Ortega walked onto the field as a freshman, yes she was playing with some other talented attackers, but she was not competing with a generational, record breaking attacking talent (a “Jamie Ortega-like player”). Someone who holds 4 of the top 5 single season goals records & broke school, conference, and NCAA scoring records. Wurzburger did. The experience and depth of the attacking units Ortega and Wurzburger came in to as freshman were completely different.
Ok. Well This year she doesn't have to worry about that. It should be an interesting season.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Since the topic is recruiting can those who are a little more in the know share insights on this years recruiting classes. We probably should not assume just because a program has a lot of commits to date this translates into the best recruiting classes, but it could be the case. Or it could simply be these players knew exactly where they wanted to go to school and committed early.

Based on number of commits to date the follow schools seem to be doing really well. Some expected others not as much. The ones that come to mind include (no particular order):

Syracuse
South Florida
BC
UMD
UNC
Stanford
ND
Denver
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Stanford. Now they just have to win big games:

https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/wome ... t-stanford
njbill

Post by njbill »

Down? Where I come from, we call that up.
BCGold

Post by BCGold »

Carolina the clear winner in this recruiting cycle. Signing #s 1, 2 and 8 of the top 10, with three more 5 stars in the next top 25 is insane… crazy that they got the top 2 recruits from out west, with St Anthony’s HS pretty much rounding out an amazing class… 1 region and 1 high school comprising the meat of their class.

Syracuse and BC probably #s 2 and 3 in whatever order

Carolina’s last 3 classes have been incredible, basically they just pick who they want from the elite…crazy how many 5 stars will be back ups to back ups

BC and Maryland up there when combining last 3 years classes as well

Who knows, obviously all that matters is how it all plays out on the field and how a team gels together, but tough to see any other teams cracking the top 5 based on the past few years recruiting… should be some great games coming up for the foreseeable future, great time to be a Women’s Lacrosse fan!
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

BCGold wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:56 pm Carolina the clear winner in this recruiting cycle. Signing #s 1, 2 and 8 of the top 10, with three more 5 stars in the next top 25 is insane… crazy that they got the top 2 recruits from out west, with St Anthony’s HS pretty much rounding out an amazing class… 1 region and 1 high school comprising the meat of their class.

Syracuse and BC probably #s 2 and 3 in whatever order

Carolina’s last 3 classes have been incredible, basically they just pick who they want from the elite…crazy how many 5 stars will be back ups to back ups

BC and Maryland up there when combining last 3 years classes as well

Who knows, obviously all that matters is how it all plays out on the field and how a team gels together, but tough to see any other teams cracking the top 5 based on the past few years recruiting… should be some great games coming up for the foreseeable future, great time to be a Women’s Lacrosse fan!
UMD had the #1 recruiting classes in 2021 and 2022 plus the best transfer classes 2021, 2022.

So there’s that. UMD, the flag trimmed beauties from the lacrosse state has no openings to play 2023 or 2024. They are the odds on favorites for nattys 16 and 17.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Essexfenwick wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:14 pm UMD, the flag trimmed beauties from the lacrosse state has no openings to play 2023 or 2024. They are the odds on favorites for nattys 16 and 17.
Yeah--with you making the odds they're the odds on favorites.

Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:27 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:14 pm UMD, the flag trimmed beauties from the lacrosse state has no openings to play 2023 or 2024. They are the odds on favorites for nattys 16 and 17.

Me and Vegas.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Essexfenwick wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:29 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:27 pm
Me and Vegas.
Link?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”