Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Essexfenwick

Re: Recruiting

Post by Essexfenwick »

suffolk wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:36 am
jff97 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:15 am So if 9 or more players is desperation mode, than UNC has to be close to that because they signed 8 in both the last 2 years. That's how this works, right?
And from my count on MD's roster, they have 10 and possibly more players who could be using their final year of eligibility in 2024. So recruiting 9 or more players seems to me like they're filling the roster spots they have rather than just throwing offers at people left and right. Looks like they have a decent amount of scholarship money to throw around too given that only 3 of the 9 commits are in-state.
By Maryland's recruiting standards, they are having a sub-par recruiting year. Maryland's 2023 roster is loaded and will win the national championship this year, and will likely be the favorites in 24. After that things may change. Cathy Reese was smart in 2021. Her roster in 21 needed reinforcements and she went out and got them via the transfer portal. When Carolina's back to back top ranked recruiting classes hit the field in three years, Cathy will not have the luxury of the Covid year to get transfers such as Bosco, Donovan, and Cordingley. Carolina, BC, and Syracuse loading up on young 2024 talent is the smart way to go and should eventually pay dividends.

I agree. By 2025 Unc will be 14 championships behind UMD and not 12 like now.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:41 pm
jff97 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:15 am So if 9 or more players is desperation mode, than UNC has to be close to that because they signed 8 in both the last 2 years. That's how this works, right?
And from my count on MD's roster, they have 10 and possibly more players who could be using their final year of eligibility in 2024. So recruiting 9 or more players seems to me like they're filling the roster spots they have rather than just throwing offers at people left and right. Looks like they have a decent amount of scholarship money to throw around too given that only 3 of the 9 commits are in-state.
By Maryland's recruiting standards, they are having a sub-par recruiting year. Maryland's 2023 roster is loaded and will win the national championship this year, and will likely be the favorites in 24. After that things may change. Cathy Reese was smart in 2021. Her roster in 21 needed reinforcements and she went out and got them via the transfer portal. When Carolina's back to back top ranked recruiting classes hit the field in three years, Cathy will not have the luxury of the Covid year to get transfers such as Bosco, Donovan, and Cordingley. Carolina, BC, and Syracuse loading up on young 2024 talent is the smart way to go and should eventually pay dividends.

Clip duration 0:03
UO22

Post by UO22 »

Terps have to be the front runner in 2023. Some think they have struck out with recruiting, so they have tapped the portal quite a bit. -Brand wise UNC and BC seem to be much more appealing than MD. Don't shoot the messenger - that is what the HS girls have been saying.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

UO22 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:30 pm

Terps have to be the front runner in 2023. Some think they have struck out with recruiting, so they have tapped the portal quite a bit. -Brand wise UNC and BC seem to be much more appealing than MD. Don't shoot the messenger - that is what the HS girls have been saying.
Only 3 of UMDs 2023 favorite team are top 10 recruits. None on the team strength defense.

UMD had the number 1 classes in 2021 and 2022. The last generational recruit was Taylor Cummings. Wurzberger was probably the highest rated since but is kind of a bust.

Going forward … the portal is very very important since so many high recruits just get passed by late bloomers and kids just more into winning. Woman have an easier time checking out of college sports than the men who seem more dedicated. UMD had a very high recruit that had a great freshmen season but transferred to follow a boyfriend and didn’t even start at the new school. It’s a very complex puzzle
OuttaNowhereWregget

I don't see Maryland as the frontrunner in '23. They are one of the teams who could win it all but by no means are they the frontrunner. I wasn't impressed by how they handled the pressure in the semis. Formerly, a Terp team with a 3 goal lead and 7 minutes left in the game would have put it away. They won 3 of the last 4 draw controls and yet still couldn't bring the win home. Carolina, BC, Northwestern could all possibly challenge for the Golden Grail in late May. Not one of those four teams has a definite edge that I can see. There could also be a dark horse in Stony Brook, Syracuse, Florida or JMU perhaps to knock out one of the aforementioned teams in the quarters or semis. It's not impossible. Lots of players graduated and/or transferred. Still others will bloom late. Others will get injured. Too many variables to call Maryland the favorite--even if everyone stays healthy and all play to their potential.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Just curious, what makes the UNC and BC brand more appealing? I have my own theories and as someone whose a recent MD alum that covered sports at the school, I'm not sure the last time it had a stable athletic department.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:30 pm

Woman have an easier time checking out of college sports than the men who seem more dedicated.
Interesting statement (bold mine). Wondering is you have any real data to back this up or is it a personal observation. If you have concrete data please show it. It is an interesting question and one that I have not seen personally.
OuttaNowhereWregget

jff97 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:08 pm
UO22 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:30 pm Terps have to be the front runner in 2023. Some think they have struck out with recruiting, so they have tapped the portal quite a bit. -Brand wise UNC and BC seem to be much more appealing than MD. Don't shoot the messenger - that is what the HS girls have been saying.
Just curious, what makes the UNC and BC brand more appealing? I have my own theories and as someone whose a recent MD alum that covered sports at the school, I'm not sure the last time it had a stable athletic department.
I don’t have any hard data to support this but I would guess that one reason women are choosing Boston College and Carolina over Maryland more so these days might be because lately those teams are winning more. In this day and age of instant gratification and social media feeds being refreshed by the millisecond, maybe they want to go where they feel they have the best chance to be a part of a team that wins the national championship. It’s what every girl dreams of when she begins playing lacrosse, or so I’ve heard told from players who have been interviewed after they have won the national title. It is frequently mentioned.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Bart wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:04 am

Woman have an easier time checking out of college sports than the men who seem more dedicated.
Interesting statement (bold mine). Wondering is you have any real data to back this up or is it a personal observation. If you have concrete data please show it. It is an interesting question and one that I have not seen personally.
Played sports through college and have daughters who played sports and I coached. Surprisingly, men and women are different which naturally presents different coaching challenges.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:03 am

Played sports through college and have daughters who played sports and I coached. Surprisingly, men and women are different which naturally presents different coaching challenges.
It’s interesting that you immediately jump to the assumption that males seem more dedicated. It could just as easily be women displaying a higher level of emotional maturity or realistic world view. Perhaps women are better equipped to apply the increased self confidence, built in part by participating in college athletics, in other areas of life in order to excel.

To just lean into the conveniently comfortable assumption that men simply seem more dedicated, especially just based off of personal experience, is interesting.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

One guess is that if recruits aren’t from Maryland, they assume they have less of a shot at Maryland. About 2/3 of their players are from Maryland.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Interesting, Thanks. That is why I asked if you had any data to support your position. My observations do not match yours. Having worked at an institution of higher learning for too long I see no difference in the "check out" rate between our male and female athletes. My observation is it depends on the coach of the sport and the number of athletes said coach brings in. Some male teams have a higher "check out" rate as compared to female and the opposite is true as well.

IF I look at the scholarship athletes (lacrosse only) from a year ahead and a year behind both of my kids the number of kids that finish 4 years is almost exactly even. Some years there are more males "checking out" and some years more females and some years absolutely no one checks out.

I have yet to find a definitive study on this with good data. IF you or anyone else has one I would love to read it.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I don't know who has the best recruiting class...and I'd respectfully suggest no one else does either. The proof of the pudding, as the Bard (not Bart) said, is in the eating. We will see how these kids do and develop over the next few years. Why argue over these teenagers?

Someone posted, in part, this:

"UMD had the number 1 classes in 2021 and 2022. The last generational recruit was Taylor Cummings. Wurzberger was probably the highest rated since but is kind of a bust."

No, I am not Mr. Wurzberger. But calling her "kind of a bust" is really pretty much ludicrous. She scored over 30 goals playing one of the nardest schedules in Division 1 her freshman year, and 35 or so her sophomore year, on teams with some of the most prolific scorers in the history of the sport and five or six credible alternative options on the field with her at any and every given time. Just a dumb comment. If she went into the portal, I guarantee that even the Queens of the Crab Cakes would be very interested.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:42 am

It’s interesting that you immediately jump to the assumption that males seem more dedicated. It could just as easily be women displaying a higher level of emotional maturity or realistic world view. Perhaps women are better equipped to apply the increased self confidence, built in part by participating in college athletics, in other areas of life in order to excel.

To just lean into the conveniently comfortable assumption that men simply seem more dedicated, especially just based off of personal experience, is interesting.
Hey I totally agree. Maturity or other factors lead to dedication not so involved with sports.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Now that all the big guns have graduated from the Powder Blue Crew, it will be Wurzburger’s time to shine. She’s as fearless and gutsy as they come* (which makes her one of my favorites). Very adept at dishing from behind the net and she’s got a nice touch when it’s her time to score. Not afraid of crunch time either. I think she’ll do just fine.
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:34 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:42 am

Hey I totally agree. Maturity or other factors lead to dedication not so involved with sports.
I had actually meant that the dedication could be equal, or even greater, and the ease of moving on could be due to factors other than how dedicated one was.
OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:35 pm Now that all the big guns have graduated from the Powder Blue Crew, it will be Wurzburger’s time to shine. She’s as fearless and gutsy as they come* (which makes her one of my favorites). Very adept at dishing from behind the net and she’s got a nice touch when it’s her time to score. Not afraid of crunch time either. I think she’ll do just fine.

*Case in point--at Florida last year, Wurzburger absorbed this terrific collision and crosscheck, got up, brushed herself off, and continued playing the rest of the game.

Note: Don't look for #13 on her back in '23. She'll be wearing #15.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

lax410 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:33 am

One guess is that if recruits aren’t from Maryland, they assume they have less of a shot at Maryland. About 2/3 of their players are from Maryland.
as a brand, UNC is stronger than Maryland and BC. Carolina Blue is so well known it's practically it's own color. The Jordan brand is synonomous with UNC. UNC dominates olympic sports and is routinely landing the best propects in those sports as well. As you know alot of these lax girls are multisport athletes. They want to be in that kind of environment. I've seen more girls wearing North Carolina hoodies walking around the Northeast than i have Maryland or BC ones.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:45 am I don't know who has the best recruiting class...and I'd respectfully suggest no one else does either. The proof of the pudding, as the Bard (not Bart) said, is in the eating. We will see how these kids do and develop over the next few years. Why argue over these teenagers?

Someone posted, in part, this:

"UMD had the number 1 classes in 2021 and 2022. The last generational recruit was Taylor Cummings. Wurzberger was probably the highest rated since but is kind of a bust."

No, I am not Mr. Wurzberger. But calling her "kind of a bust" is really pretty much ludicrous. She scored over 30 goals playing one of the nardest schedules in Division 1 her freshman year, and 35 or so her sophomore year, on teams with some of the most prolific scorers in the history of the sport and five or six credible alternative options on the field with her at any and every given time. Just a dumb comment. If she went into the portal, I guarantee that even the Queens of the Crab Cakes would be very interested.
unless Wurtzburger broke the rookie points or goals record her freshmen year she was never going to live up to the unbelievable hype she had coming in from HS.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:35 pm Now that all the big guns have graduated from the Powder Blue Crew, it will be Wurzburger’s time to shine. She’s as fearless and gutsy as they come* (which makes her one of my favorites). Very adept at dishing from behind the net and she’s got a nice touch when it’s her time to score. Not afraid of crunch time either. I think she’ll do just fine.
I think shes a very good player but is small, slight, and limited as to where she can play. tougher opponents like Cuse, BC, NU, etc will use their toughest defender on her and this will be an issue. easier teams - she will do very well.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”