Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Kleizaster

Re: Recruiting

Post by Kleizaster »

Lewisfrederick wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:51 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:06 am Umd has the #1 2022 and 2023 IL recruiting classes plus this years best transfer. Nobody will ever catch up with their championship pedigree in 100 years.

Also the #1 men’s team.

Lacrosse royalty with the best coaches.

UMD is the BigTen (most sports money) institution where being a lacrosse player is a bigger celebrity on campus and in the state than the other sports. Maryland, Old Bay, Lacrosse .. like the red white and blue.
Where does it say UMD has the #1 class in 2022?

When looking at inside lacrosse’s recruiting rankings:

UMD Class 2022:
#1 Recruit
#5 Recruit
#6 Recruit
#17 Recruit
4 Unranked Recruits

UNC Class 2022:
#2 Recruit
#3 Recruit
#9 Recruit
#13 Recruit
#19 Recruit
3 Unranked Recruits

Based off of this, it would look to me like UNC has the better recruiting class.

Also when looking at inside lacrosse class of 2023 rankings, it seems like they have assigned 20 players to be 5 Star recruits… but not ranking them from 1-20 (They are listed alphabetically). Out of those 20, 4 are UNC commits and 2 are UMD commits.

and for 2024 so far, UNC has 4 5 star committs, Maryland has 1, the TG girl who by all acounts wanted UNC but was told to wait from what i've gathered from the tea leaves. ofcourse no one knows for sure but i do know she was heavily considering UNC. After UNC landed the number 1 girl, she then committed to Maryland. The trend is undeniable. When left to deciding between the two programs UNC has the edge right now over MD. Not to say MD won't get their share of star players. They always will. But man they are scratching tooth and nail to land these girls.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

From the 5-stars ILWomen has released so far, I don't see a ton of MD players on the list. That's been the backbone of the Maryland program. Could be another reason why they're not having as much recruiting success.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Lacrosse Royalty UMD top ten recruits are higher ranked on average.

That’s why UMD of the lacrosse state is higher ranked.

Umd is lined up for championship number 16 and 17 over the next 2 years.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

But then, who really cares?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:06 am Umd has the #1 2022 and 2023 IL recruiting classes plus this years best transfer. Nobody will ever catch up with their championship pedigree in 100 years.

Also the #1 men’s team.

UMD is the BigTen (most sports money) institution where being a lacrosse player is a bigger celebrity on campus and in the state than the other sports. Maryland, Old Bay, Lacrosse .. like the red white and blue.

UMD Class 2022:
#1 Recruit
#5 Recruit
#6 Recruit
#17 Recruit
4 Unranked Recruits

UNC Class 2022:
#2 Recruit
#3 Recruit
#9 Recruit
#13 Recruit
#19 Recruit
3 Unranked Recruits

Based off of this, it would look to me like UNC has the better recruiting class.

Also when looking at inside lacrosse class of 2023 rankings, it seems like they have assigned 20 players to be 5 Star recruits… but not ranking them from 1-20 (They are listed alphabetically). Out of those 20, 4 are UNC commits and 2 are UMD commits.
PSU had the #1 ranked class a few years back and did absolutely nothing other than go backwards. I wouldn't get too analytical about rankings in women's lacrosse.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:22 pm Lacrosse Royalty UMD top ten recruits are higher ranked on average.

That’s why UMD of the lacrosse state is higher ranked.

Umd is lined up for championship number 16 and 17 over the next 2 years.
Terps will roll this year. The 2023 national championship is theirs. This 24 recruiting class so far has not been great for the Terps. It looks like they will end up with only one top ten recruit.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:38 pm

Also the #1 men’s team.

UMD Class 2022:
#1 Recruit
#5 Recruit
#6 Recruit
#17 Recruit
4 Unranked Recruits

UNC Class 2022:
#2 Recruit
#3 Recruit
#9 Recruit
#13 Recruit
#19 Recruit
3 Unranked Recruits

PSU had the #1 ranked class a few years back and did absolutely nothing other than go backwards. I wouldn't get too analytical about rankings in women's lacrosse.
True. I could tell Lipkin was great but only ranked 17th. All the other Terp recruits 2021 were redshirted or injured and all are full strength this year along with Ruele (AE player of the year) who was injured last year and Pansini who was also injured. Along with the 2022 number one recruiting class and all the major returning stars being juniors with another Covid year.. the Terps have no spots for 2024 players. They are set up for another run of championships
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:38 pm

Also the #1 men’s team.

UMD Class 2022:
#1 Recruit
#5 Recruit
#6 Recruit
#17 Recruit
4 Unranked Recruits

UNC Class 2022:
#2 Recruit
#3 Recruit
#9 Recruit
#13 Recruit
#19 Recruit
3 Unranked Recruits

I think situations like this are exceptions in womens lax. There is a clear correlation between championship programs and the amount of highly ranked players they have vs teams that aren't. I'd argue most of the time those players end up being great college players rather than flaming out. So i'd say rankings are pretty important. There is a reason why these girls are recruited the way they are.
Testudo98

Post by Testudo98 »

There are people on this board who are salivating at the “demise” of Maryland. It’s truly a joke because Cathy Reese is the best coach in women’s lacrosse. Jenny Levy needs more talent because she isn’t as good. That’s why she needs a full time male recruiting coordinator on her coaching staff.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Shouldn't you put an IMO in there?
Testudo98

Post by Testudo98 »

Yes. That’s in my own opinion.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Cathy is just the best. It’s humbling.

https://twitter.com/MarylandWLax/status ... G2tLkrAAAA
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Testudo98 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:17 pm There are people on this board who are salivating at the “demise” of Maryland. It’s truly a joke because Cathy Reese is the best coach in women’s lacrosse. Jenny Levy needs more talent because she isn’t as good. That’s why she needs a full time male recruiting coordinator on her coaching staff.
no doubt. but no need to shade Levy because she wins with talent seeing as Cathy Reese also has acquired more talent on her Maryland teams overall then probably any program in history. Good coach or not, you need talent to win. They go hand in hand. Seeing UNC's performances this year vs top teams like NU, they beat a stacked BC team 3 times, i'd say Jenny gets a lot out of her players. and girls want to go play for her. take this all into account it makes your "opinion" look like a misinformed one.
Testudo98

Post by Testudo98 »

Jenny Levy has had more talent than anyone over her coaching career. She just isn’t the best coach.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Testudo98 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:26 am Jenny Levy has had more talent than anyone over her coaching career. She just isn’t the best coach.
Levy took over in 1994. built UNC from the ground up. Reese took over an already established MD program. do you know what Maryland was around that time? i'll tell ya, they were runnerups in 1994, then won consecutive championships from 1995 to 2001. you're telling me Levy and middling UNC had more talent then that MD dynasty? thats 11 years of her coaching career gone right there. 2005 to 2009 was the NW dynasty. Think Levy had more talent than those stacked teams? nope. 4 years of her coaching career gone right there. 2010 was a stacked MD team, followed by back to back NW ships in 2011 and 2012. All those teams were significantly more talented than what Levy had. 3 more years, gone. So of the 28 total years that she's been coaching,18 years were dominated by MD and NW dynasties. She only had 10 years of real recruiting competiveness. and in those 10 years she's won 3 ships. Reese has 5 in 14 years. Now, in those 10 years could Levy have made more championship games? for sure. There were times Levy lost to less talented teams. But to make a statement like that is just incorrect. There are plenty of teams who have had talent and done absolutely nothing with it. See Stanford, Penn state, Duke. Gotta be able to coach that talent. If Levy sucked she wouldn't be able to do that now could she? nor would she be coaching team USA..right? do you know more about lacrosse then people who make those decisions?
Last edited by Kleizaster on Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Testudo98

Post by Testudo98 »

Oh really?? She has owned LI, NJ and Philly forever, and she only has 3 titles. She has a recruiting coordinator on her staff.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Testudo98 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:56 am Oh really?? She has owned LI, NJ and Philly forever, and she only has 3 titles. She has a recruiting coordinator on her staff.
Someone with more knowledge may correct me, but I don’t really think any one program has historically owned the Philly area. Talent goes all over.

And many of the best college athletic programs have recruiting coordinators that aren’t the HC. Maryland’s website even mentions that Kenis plays an integral role in recruiting. Nick Saban doesn’t do all of his own recruiting. And speaking of Kenis, I think a common theme among successful coaches everywhere is an extremely solid, usually long-tenured, assistant coach. I never thought any less of a HC’s ability if they had a “recruiting coordinator” on their staff, it just seems very common. I think Levy is still involved in recruiting, but it may be in Phil’s official duties to handle the logistics (visits etc.).

This is not an argument for or against Cathy or Levy as who is best.

I have said this many times in this forum but I’m not a big fan of putting too much in to HS recruit and class rankings. There are always recruits that don’t pan out for reasons (or a combination of reasons) other than the coach or the player & their ability. It happens in multi-billion dollar industries like the NFL, MLB, NHL, Premier League, etc. every year. Hell, it happens to non-NCAA athletes every year and people in the workforce - they’re at a place that just isn’t a good fit.

Halle Majorana is one of my favorite examples. She was playing a secondary role off the bench at Maryland, transferred to Syracuse and became an AA attacker. Did Halle suck as a player because she came off the bench at Maryland? No. Did Cathy suck because she didn’t get the best out of Halle? No.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Testudo98 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:17 pm That’s why she needs a full time male recruiting coordinator on her coaching staff.
was there some point in using "male"? you could have just said "recruiting coordinator". Noting male, or female, adds nothing to your point but speculation that you think one sex is better at (coordinating) recruiting. Is that your intent?
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Testudo98 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:56 am Oh really?? She has owned LI, NJ and Philly forever, and she only has 3 titles. She has a recruiting coordinator on her staff.
I wouldn’t say she has owned LI. Historically she rarely recruited from Long Island. In the last 8-9 years she’s basically recruited maybe 7-8 players total ? Idk is that considered “owning” maybe I’m wrong .
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:08 am
Testudo98 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:17 pm There are people on this board who are salivating at the “demise” of Maryland. It’s truly a joke because Cathy Reese is the best coach in women’s lacrosse. Jenny Levy needs more talent because she isn’t as good. That’s why she needs a full time male recruiting coordinator on her coaching staff.
no doubt. but no need to shade Levy because she wins with talent seeing as Cathy Reese also has acquired more talent on her Maryland teams overall then probably any program in history. Good coach or not, you need talent to win. They go hand in hand. Seeing UNC's performances this year vs top teams like NU, they beat a stacked BC team 3 times, i'd say Jenny gets a lot out of her players. and girls want to go play for her. take this all into account it makes your "opinion" look like a misinformed one.
+1000!!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”