Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Kleizaster

Re: Recruiting

Post by Kleizaster »

Osburn to UNC. #1 ranked player in back to back classes for Levy. UNC will be a force the next few years and i believe they have surpassed Maryland as the IT place for this generation of girls. UNC camps get the most attendees, their field and lockeroom is state of the art, they have the most followers on social media..9 thousand more than Maryland on IG and growing everyday. Cool factor is through the roof.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:57 am Osburn to UNC. #1 ranked player in back to back classes for Levy. UNC will be a force the next few years and i believe they have surpassed Maryland as the IT place for this generation of girls. UNC camps get the most attendees, their field and lockeroom is state of the art, they have the most followers on social media..9 thousand more than Maryland on IG and growing everyday. Cool factor is through the roof.
I don't really understand your fascination with who is the new "cool" program in the sport. I don't think how many IG followers a team has is really a determining factor on where kids commit, or I really hope it's not. UNC and MD will continue to have success as long as their current coaches are there, no matter how many followers they have on social media.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

UMD will remain one of the premier destinations for recruits but I do believe they don’t get them as easily as they used to it. There is still such a strong appeal for recruits as they can play for a historically rich program and the best coach IMO(but that’s not my point). However, there are many other great schools (ex UNC and BC) now that attract talent that once would commit to UMD. This is coming from a Maryland native who more times than not roots for the Terps. This isn’t a bad thing as I think it helps grow the game.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

user1020 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:04 pm UMD will remain one of the premier destinations for recruits but I do believe they don’t get them as easily as they used to it. There is still such a strong appeal for recruits as they can play for a historically rich program and the best coach IMO(but that’s not my point). However, there are many other great schools (ex UNC and BC) now that attract talent that once would commit to UMD. This is coming from a Maryland native who more times than not roots for the Terps. This isn’t a bad thing as I think it helps grow the game.
I agree. And as someone who grew up in Maryland, I've always felt like MD is not a destination school for what's thought of as typical lacrosse players. I graduated from a public high school and while MD was seen as a great place to end up, it was never on the level of a UNC, UVA, Duke, ND, NW or the Ivies. Feel like that's only magnified at private schools, which is where most of the talent comes from in the DMV. Of course plenty of local kids will still go, it just is harder than people think sometimes because how the school is perceived compared to other lacrosse powers.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

jff97 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:43 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:57 am Osburn to UNC. #1 ranked player in back to back classes for Levy. UNC will be a force the next few years and i believe they have surpassed Maryland as the IT place for this generation of girls. UNC camps get the most attendees, their field and lockeroom is state of the art, they have the most followers on social media..9 thousand more than Maryland on IG and growing everyday. Cool factor is through the roof.
I don't really understand your fascination with who is the new "cool" program in the sport. I don't think how many IG followers a team has is really a determining factor on where kids commit, or I really hope it's not. UNC and MD will continue to have success as long as their current coaches are there, no matter how many followers they have on social media.
you missed the point. Yes MD will always be successful, not arguing that. i'm saying, they need to adapt because the MD name alone isn't going to pull top players anymore. You might not be used to social media but it matters to Gen Z. Social media trends are studied vigourously by powerful institutions for a reason. People with most followers make more money. In the age of NIL you don't think that matters to star players for branding purposes? don't underestimate it.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Umd has the #1 2022 and 2023 IL recruiting classes plus this years best transfer. Nobody will ever catch up with their championship pedigree in 100 years.

Also the #1 men’s team.

Lacrosse royalty with the best coaches.

UMD is the BigTen (most sports money) institution where being a lacrosse player is a bigger celebrity on campus and in the state than the other sports. Maryland, Old Bay, Lacrosse .. like the red white and blue.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:49 am
you missed the point. Yes MD will always be successful, not arguing that. i'm saying, they need to adapt because the MD name alone isn't going to pull top players anymore. You might not be used to social media but it matters to Gen Z. Social media trends are studied vigourously by powerful institutions for a reason. People with most followers make more money. In the age of NIL you don't think that matters to star players for branding purposes? don't underestimate it.
I think that is something some players take into consideration, but I don't think Maryland should be sweating because they're #2 and not #1 in instagram followers. Followers count for something, but how many of those followers interact with your posts? That matters much more. And NIL deals are also going to greatly depend on the following of an individual athlete, not just their team's platform.

I think Maryland and UNC's social media teams do an excellent job, as do many other programs.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:54 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:31 am
Kleizaster wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:06 am
suffolk wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:54 pm M&D Lacrosse Club is at UNC Chapel Hill.
· Chapel Hill, NC ·
Congratulations to midfielder Kate Levy, M&D 2024 Black (McDonogh School), on her commitment to the University of North Carolina @uncwlax !

Browsing the elite clubs facebook pages today and saw this on M&D's. I guess no surprise here!
i believe that's the first committment for anyone in the 2024 class. wasted no time. Definitely earned
Ellie Wisch (Conestoga HS) & Arden Jansen (Radnor HS) both in PA and both also committed to Penn State yesterday.
still waiting for Penn State to become relevant. They have waisted some stellar recruiting classes and i don't see them getting back to anywhere close to that again
I considered Penn State to be pretty relevant in the early-mid 2010s, particularly 15-17. I guess that depends on your definition of relevant, but Cyr, O'Donnell, Coffey, Schmitt, Lazo, Mosketti, Heavens...they were good teams and made it to 3 straight semi-finals and were pulling in solid recruits.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:42 am
I think that is something some players take into consideration, but I don't think Maryland should be sweating because they're #2 and not #1 in instagram followers. Followers count for something, but how many of those followers interact with your posts? That matters much more. And NIL deals are also going to greatly depend on the following of an individual athlete, not just their team's platform.

I think Maryland and UNC's social media teams do an excellent job, as do many other programs.

UMD has the NIL advantage because lacrosse is the state sport. When you wear Maryland across your chest with the flag trim and are holding a lacrosse stick it resonates for advertising in the state. UMD lacrosse players like Taylor Cummings and Jered Bernhardt are icons in Maryland.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:43 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:42 am

UMD has the NIL advantage because lacrosse is the state sport. When you wear Maryland across your chest with the flag trim and are holding a lacrosse stick it resonates for advertising in the state. UMD lacrosse players like Taylor Cummings and Jered Bernhardt are icons in Maryland.
You don't know what you're talking about when it comes to MD and NIL. They don't have the NIL support to be competitive on that front on the football side, what makes you think there are donors and companies chasing after women's lacrosse players there? MD has lost several 2024 recruits to schools because of NIL packages that other schools are able to offer that MD cannot. How many ad campaigns do you see around here with lacrosse players? Jared is from Florida and now plays for the Falcons. He never made any money off his name while he was here. TC isn't on RoFo commercials. There are too many other options in the DC/Baltimore area for companies to go to for celebrity endorsements. Not the case in Syracuse, Clemson, etc. Those schools have packages setup for recruits where they will actually be paid more than it costs to attend the school.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

^^^ exactly . Those are football schools and football gets and needs all the NIL money to compete for a football Natty. Lacrosse is only there for title 9 compliance.

UMD cares more about lacrosse than football. That’s where NIL will develop.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:59 am ^^^ exactly . Those are football schools and football gets and needs all the NIL money to compete for a football Natty. Lacrosse is only there for title 9 compliance.

You're missing the point and I don't think you understand how NIL works. If MD donors aren't donating money to the football and basketball NIL collectives, it's not going to happen for a fringe sport like women's lacrosse. And businesses aren't going after women's lacrosse players to sponsor them when they have the Ravens, Orioles, 'Skins, Nats, Caps, Wiz, etc. It's already an issue for MD. Not sure why you think it will magically get better.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

hmmm wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:04 am
Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:59 am ^^^ exactly . Those are football schools and football gets and needs all the NIL money to compete for a football Natty. Lacrosse is only there for title 9 compliance.

You're missing the point and I don't think you understand how NIL works. If MD donors aren't donating money to the football and basketball NIL collectives, it's not going to happen for a fringe sport like women's lacrosse. And businesses aren't going after women's lacrosse players to sponsor them when they have the Ravens, Orioles, 'Skins, Nats, Caps, Wiz, etc. It's already an issue for MD. Not sure why you think it will magically get better.
The ACC schools need every bit regular donation to close the 100 million to 30 million Big ten advantage until 2036. NIL is just starting and UMD lacrosse should focus on Md centric companies like ledos, old bay, stx, thrashers fries, chaps pit beef, fishers popcorn, seacrets, car dealers… along that vein to really cement the unmatched UMD lacrosse brand .
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:17 am
hmmm wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:04 am

The ACC schools need every bit regular donation to close the 100 million to 30 million Big ten advantage until 2036. NIL is just starting and UMD lacrosse should focus on Md centric companies like ledos, old bay, stx, thrashers fries, chaps pit beef, fishers popcorn, seacrets, car dealers… along that vein to really cement the unmatched UMD lacrosse brand .

Seacrets??? I’m assuming they’d be limited to student athletes that are 21+ if they even wanted to ink an NIL deal, but I think they’ll be just fine if they don’t.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Lacrosse players can and have signed NIL deals with national and world wide brands. No need to just look at local branding.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

TNLAX wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:36 am Lacrosse players can and have signed NIL deals with national and world wide brands. No need to just look at local branding.
Like Taylor Cummings UnderArmour deal.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:39 am
TNLAX wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:36 am Lacrosse players can and have signed NIL deals with national and world wide brands. No need to just look at local branding.
Taylor Cummings did not sign an NIL deal. Hers is a straight endorsement deal. They did not have the NIL while she was in school.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:12 pm
Taylor Cummings did not sign an NIL deal. Hers is a straight endorsement deal. They did not have the NIL while she was in school.
I should have been more specific. Current college lacrosse players have signed NIL's with nationwide and world wide brands.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

TNLAX wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:27 pm
Brownlax wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:12 pm
I should have been more specific. Current college lacrosse players have signed NIL's with nationwide and world wide brands.

It’s awesome to know that at UMD there’s a chance for the lax money to continue even after graduating!!
Lewisfrederick

Post by Lewisfrederick »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:06 am Umd has the #1 2022 and 2023 IL recruiting classes plus this years best transfer. Nobody will ever catch up with their championship pedigree in 100 years.

Also the #1 men’s team.

Lacrosse royalty with the best coaches.

UMD is the BigTen (most sports money) institution where being a lacrosse player is a bigger celebrity on campus and in the state than the other sports. Maryland, Old Bay, Lacrosse .. like the red white and blue.
Where does it say UMD has the #1 class in 2022?

When looking at inside lacrosse’s recruiting rankings:

UMD Class 2022:
#1 Recruit
#5 Recruit
#6 Recruit
#17 Recruit
4 Unranked Recruits

UNC Class 2022:
#2 Recruit
#3 Recruit
#9 Recruit
#13 Recruit
#19 Recruit
3 Unranked Recruits

Based off of this, it would look to me like UNC has the better recruiting class.

Also when looking at inside lacrosse class of 2023 rankings, it seems like they have assigned 20 players to be 5 Star recruits… but not ranking them from 1-20 (They are listed alphabetically). Out of those 20, 4 are UNC commits and 2 are UMD commits.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”