ODAC 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
OSVAlacrosse

Re: ODAC 2022

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Laxdds wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:19 am
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:04 am
Laxdds wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:11 pm
Laxfan4380 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:00 pm Do we think the problem with the ODAC is the recruiting? I mean if you look at the schools that are beating ODAC teams, they lack the toughness of the kids from the bigger northern schools. Ya around here the players are tough but lacrosse up there is just more developed and more of a culture. Should the coaches be recruiting from up there more or should they focus on getting Private school kids from around here along with kids from up there. It really is a question not trying to start an argument.
Interesting question I don't think the ODAC has much of a problem maybe this was just a bad year or bad matchups in the Tournament. Over half of CNU's roster is from VA with relatively few from the northeast (MA,NY,CT,NJ). I am not drawing any conclusions from this, it is simply and observation.
[/quote
I am confused by the original post. Is the question that maybe the ODAC is down because they recruit too many in state players?
1. They are not recruiting more than one or two per school for the most part each year. Look at the 2022 class this holds true.
2. The instate players in VA are = to NJ, CT, maybe not quite NY and MD but still 30 D1 payers v. 40 D3 players in the 2022 class.
If anything I think the ODAC schools should do a better job recruiting in state players.
Yes, I agree with your point and CNU is a great example. They have risen fast because the talent in Virginia is there. The UA DMV team and Nike team have won national tournaments with a lot of VA players. Dalton Young of Richmond will be a force in D1 lacrosse next year with a potential to be AA his brother is at CNU and the other is committed to HSC. This is just one example. I think ODAC schools do not look enough at instate talent.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:23 am
Laxfan4380 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:00 pm Do we think the problem with the ODAC is the recruiting? I mean if you look at the schools that are beating ODAC teams, they lack the toughness of the kids from the bigger northern schools. Ya around here the players are tough but lacrosse up there is just more developed and more of a culture. Should the coaches be recruiting from up there more or should they focus on getting Private school kids from around here along with kids from up there. It really is a question not trying to start an argument.
Interesting question I don't think the ODAC has much of a problem maybe this was just a bad year or bad matchups in the Tournament. Over half of CNU's roster is from VA with relatively few from the northeast (MA,NY,CT,NJ). I am not drawing any conclusions from this, it is simply and observation.
[/quote
I am confused by the original post. Is the question that maybe the ODAC is down because they recruit too many in state players?
1. They are not recruiting more than one or two per school for the most part each year. Look at the 2022 class this holds true.
2. The instate players in VA are = to NJ, CT, maybe not quite NY and MD but still 30 D1 payers v. 40 D3 players in the 2022 class.
If anything I think the ODAC schools should do a better job recruiting in state players.
Yes, I agree with your point and CNU is a great example. They have risen fast because the talent in Virginia is there. The UA DMV team and Nike team have won national tournaments with a lot of VA players. Dalton Young of Richmond will be a force in D1 lacrosse next year with a potential to be AA his brother is at CNU and the other is committed to HSC. This is just one example. I think ODAC schools do not look enough at instate talent.
Christopher Newport (Public) costs less than half of what any of the top ODAC schools cost (>$50K for ODACs vs $25K per year), so the recruiting scene is entirely different for CNU.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

JPAtlantic wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:13 am
[/quote
Christopher Newport (Public) costs less than half of what any of the top ODAC schools cost (>$50K for ODACs vs $25K per year), so the recruiting scene is entirely different for CNU.
After just going through the process with my son. I can tell you first hand, CNU is more expensive. CNU is public, they don’t negotiate price. My son is an above average student and he was offer $500 off of sticker price. Making the out of pocket cost about 44k. HSC and RMC both had offers much less than CNU. We are out of state. Instate is probably less for CNU
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Jumbo wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:10 am
JPAtlantic wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:13 am
[/quote
After just going through the process with my son. I can tell you first hand, CNU is more expensive. CNU is public, they don’t negotiate price. My son is an above average student and he was offer $500 off of sticker price. Making the out of pocket cost about 44k. HSC and RMC both had offers much less than CNU. We are out of state. Instate is probably less for CNU
That makes plenty of sense. The one school that is an outlier is W&L. They too have extremely competitive financial aid and quite frankly are in different recruiting battles. Many of the families would find the cost of attendance there worth it due to the caliber of job placement.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

We didn’t get that far with W&L. The 17% acceptance rate was a hurdle. But on the net price calculator, they dropped from 70k down to 35k

As for recruiting. The only ODAC schools that we regularly noticed at summer tourneys was Lynchburg. W&L occasionally. RMC and HSC mostly watched film. They don’t recruit like CNU. Play days for CNU, York, Lynchburg seem to happen every 3 months. The rest of the i as relies on the two group play days the entire conference does together. I would definitely agree that ODAC does not seem to recruit like the top 25 teams
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Whatever CNU is doing, it's working. The rich get richer. https://youtu.be/dWAG_iMpoBY

6'3" attackman who can finish inside, great vision and a hard shot. When he fills out a little bit he'll be a problem.

They may lose a lot of players this year, but they aren't going away.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

JBFortunato wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:37 pm Whatever CNU is doing, it's working. The rich get richer. https://youtu.be/dWAG_iMpoBY

6'3" attackman who can finish inside, great vision and a hard shot. When he fills out a little bit he'll be a problem.

CNU throws the net wide. They probably give 25 “offers” each season. They apply pressure to the recruits to make a decision. Point blank tell the kids the offer is for one year. They have tryouts each season
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

W&LLover wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:07 pm W&L doesn’t crush beers, besides McCabe, he crushes so much he got a dui
Wait. What?
Ol'Southlacrosse

Post by Ol'Southlacrosse »

Happy to see ODAC get some respect in All Americans. HSC running the board with guys on 2nd team. They started to come to together at the end of season. Clagget getting injured in the championship game hurt them-- wonder how he would have impacted that game
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

Jumbo wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:24 pm
JBFortunato wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:37 pm Whatever CNU is doing, it's working. The rich get richer. https://youtu.be/dWAG_iMpoBY

CNU throws the net wide. They probably give 25 “offers” each season. They apply pressure to the recruits to make a decision. Point blank tell the kids the offer is for one year. They have tryouts each season
This is just completely false. CNU hasn’t made any cuts since 2018, only removals have been because of off the field issues. CNU also hasn’t brought in a class larger than 15 since 2018. This year’s class will be the largest they have brought in, in a while 16-18 I believe
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Goldenboy wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:05 pm
Jumbo wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:24 pm

This is just completely false. CNU hasn’t made any cuts since 2018, only removals have been because of off the field issues. CNU also hasn’t brought in a class larger than 15 since 2018. This year’s class will be the largest they have brought in, in a while 16-18 I believe
We just went through the recruiting process last year. We also heard 3 others were told the same. Maybe back in 2018 they didn’t.
Tactful Lax

Post by Tactful Lax »

Why doesn't the ODAC just make a change and allow for the admission of state schools? Can you imagine Salisbury, CNU, and Mary Washington as part of the ODAC? That would be a power conference in pretty much any sport.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Tactful Lax wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:31 pm Why doesn't the ODAC just make a change and allow for the admission of state schools? Can you imagine Salisbury, CNU, and Mary Washington as part of the ODAC? That would be a power conference in pretty much any sport.
I imagine ODAC models themselves as a southern NESCAC.

In state tuition likely is a major draw for CNU players ($26K per year). about 65% of their roster is in-state compared to 20% for Lynchburg and 15% for W&L.

Salisbury has 37% in-state ($23K per year) so they are able to draw more out of state players ($34k per year).
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Tactful Lax wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:31 pm Why doesn't the ODAC just make a change and allow for the admission of state schools? Can you imagine Salisbury, CNU, and Mary Washington as part of the ODAC? That would be a power conference in pretty much any sport.
Why would a group of schools with distinct recruiting disadvantage let in schools like Salisbury, CNU, etc? That wouldnt be in the best interest of any ODAC schools.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:32 pm
Why would a group of schools with distinct recruiting disadvantage let in schools like Salisbury, CNU, etc? That wouldnt be in the best interest of any ODAC schools.
Salisbury and CNU have lax advantages. But basketball and football, several ODAC schools would be much stronger
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

I wish that Randolph and Ferrum would figure out a way to be more competitive or just drop lacrosse. The ODAC needs to somehow enforce a certain level of competence. The bottom teams really bring down the conference.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

JustOneTime wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:36 am I wish that Randolph and Ferrum would figure out a way to be more competitive or just drop lacrosse. The ODAC needs to somehow enforce a certain level of competence. The bottom teams really bring down the conference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa6yyLFcjSg

It's too bad their Nike and Warrior partnerships aren't helping them fill their 40 custom oak lockers and 24 uniform combinations...
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Jumbo wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:58 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:32 pm
Salisbury and CNU have lax advantages. But basketball and football, several ODAC schools would be much stronger
CNU football beat the ODAC champion. Salisbury football is pretty good. ODAC football is pretty below average nationally.

CNU basketball was in the elite 8 and was 27-3. Their womens team was 26-1 and a top 5 team nationally. I think womens soccer was the undefeated national champions. Softball was 47-1 and national champions.

CNU and Salisbury are powerhouses in almost every sport. This isn’t just a lacrosse thing,
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

JustOneTime wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:36 am I wish that Randolph and Ferrum would figure out a way to be more competitive or just drop lacrosse. The ODAC needs to somehow enforce a certain level of competence. The bottom teams really bring down the conference.
Looking at Inside Lacrosse listings does Ferrum only have one 2022 recruit? CNU has three for 2023 and a strong 2022 class.
HSC and Roanoke also look like they are doing well.
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:36 pm
Looking at Inside Lacrosse listings does Ferrum only have one 2022 recruit? CNU has three for 2023 and a strong 2022 class.
HSC and Roanoke also look like they are doing well.
Saw this link in a D1 forum. http://college.laxpower2.com/RECRUITS/r ... n_2022.php
Not sure how reliable but it shows Ferrum having two 2022 commits.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”