Georgetown 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Jldlax

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by Jldlax »

HGK wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:46 pm With your season on the line, coming out of a timeout, you have to get the ball to Bundy, Trippi or Mcdermott from Haley period. You can’t run the shot clock down and then not have one of those three get the ball. Delaware played great but Georgetown did themselves no favors with some of the decisions on personnel in critical offensive and defensive possessions late in 4th quarter.
I thought that the absence of Godine tonight really hurt. I believe all of the Delaware goals came by attacking the shorties. There was simply too much pressure on them all night. And the absence of depth on offense came back to bite GU. Hess going two ways put a lot of responsibility on him, and the only other offensive sub was Munro. What can you say…
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

random observer wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:58 pm The moment they held the ball there I knew it was over. Richmond tried to do the same thing and got burned. Towson did it a few years ago against Maryland and got burned. It happens over and over and over again and coaches just don't learn. Playing cowardly rarely works; good things happen when you attack and apply pressure. Especially when you can't actually hold for the last shot.

Haven't watched a ton of Delaware, but at the very least Owen Grant is a special player who will likely be playing for Team Canada in the years to come. I think Georgetown was a very good team that played a flat game at the wrong time. But they were definitely more vulnerable than your typical 2 seed. At the end of the day the attack position is the most important position in the college game in my opinion, and the Hoyas just don't have that alpha qb that the teams that cut down the nets on Memorial Day have. This was a team that was solid in so many areas, but when you look at what Ross Scott did to Harvard today, it's clear what Georgetown is currently still missing.
With so much smoke about Dordevic to GT out there, they'll definitely get an alpha attack who can draw slides next year if he in fact goes there. Kelly from UNC rumored to GT, too.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Well, Georgetown picked the worst time to shoot 19%, and the Hens goalie took care of the rest. Really tough loss, but great season by Georgetown.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

random observer wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:58 pm
Haven't watched a ton of Delaware, but at the very least Owen Grant is a special player who will likely be playing for Team Canada in the years to come.
Grant,
Michael Robinson,
Tye Kurtz, are their All American level Canadian talent,
which in Grant’s case, he’s actually 2nd team.
Robinson had to make an all world behind the back goal
or the final score might have been 8-6, 9-7 Hoyas.
Jlax92

Post by Jlax92 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:43 pm Well, Georgetown picked the worst time to shoot 19%, and the Hens goalie took care of the rest. Really tough loss, but great season by Georgetown.
Yup. I agree. I add that Gtown was overrated to begin with
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Looks like they were trying to get the ball to Bundy up top through X, but just mishandled the pass first. For some reason it looked like the Hoyas played nervous all game long and the pressure was too much. Such a disappointing end to a great year.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Did the delay have an impact,

what time did that game finish - it was pretty late.

They might think about moving these games up an
hour since you almost always get some weather impact.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HGK wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:46 pm With your season on the line, coming out of a timeout, you have to get the ball to Bundy, Trippi or Mcdermott from Haley period. You can’t run the shot clock down and then not have one of those three get the ball. Delaware played great but Georgetown did themselves no favors with some of the decisions on personnel in critical offensive and defensive possessions late in 4th quarter.
It started at first whistle. I believe it was 4 turnovers in the first 10 minutes, took 12 minutes to get on the scoreboard. To me, when 16 took that shot from 15 yards, with 3:59 remaining, up by two, with no backup, and 45 was parked on the lefty wing (at 5v5), I said.....uh oh, this gave UD a breath of fresh air.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Agree 100%. Up 9-7, 4 mins left and that shot in transition was a killer.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:43 am Agree 100%. Up 9-7, 4 mins left and that shot in transition was a killer.
Not having the backup was the problem. Error of omission vs error of commission.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Sad to say, but the team looked past Delaware. No other way to explain coming out flat on your home field. It happens. I remember that string of Loyola teams in the 90s that had #1 seeds and just couldn't get it done in the playoffs.

Gtown missed Godine on D and, maybe more importantly, on the FO wing.

Congrats to Delaware who had a great game plan and executed. I think they probably watch a lot of that Princeton game tape.

Congratulations to the Hoyas on their best regular season in program history.

On to next year. Lots to be excited about with returning players, new recruits, and potential transfers.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Maybe this is projecting an outcome onto an observation, but it seems to me this team could stand to be a little more even keeled emotionally. The energy and emotion Warne brings has been crucial to developing the identity and momentum of the program, and it's helped fuel some big landmark wins such as the underdog BE tourney runs and the emolation of Cuse in the first round last year. But in the same vein it really seemed like the Hoyas lost composure last night and in the loss to UVA last year. When you look at Maryland, they certainly aren't robots out there but they are so composed and disciplined, and I think that emotional consistency has translated to consistency in the tournament over the past decade. That's what is needed to string together multiple wins in May when the competition and pressure ramps up, and that's the level Georgetown has aspirations to be at in year in and year out now.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Oh, I don’t think this de-rails the Georgetown train, really,

transfers have a definite other option now,
and there’s a huge list of talent to pick and choose from.

This incoming class,
don’t really know although I’ll assume there is solid talent,

the next class of course, you got Ty Banks coming in.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

rolldodge wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:20 am Sad to say, but the team looked past Delaware. No other way to explain coming out flat on your home field. It happens. I remember that string of Loyola teams in the 90s that had #1 seeds and just couldn't get it done in the playoffs.

Congrats to Delaware who had a great game plan and executed. I think they probably watch a lot of that Princeton game tape.

On to next year. Lots to be excited about with returning players, new recruits, and potential transfers.
Last edited by blue angels on Mon May 16, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

rolldodge wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:20 am Sad to say, but the team looked past Delaware. No other way to explain coming out flat on your home field. It happens. I remember that string of Loyola teams in the 90s that had #1 seeds and just couldn't get it done in the playoffs.

So did some of the fans, talking about their easy path to Memorial day weekend. With so litle history of success in the tournament, one would think otherwise. It is 1 game at a time and focus on the next opponent. Otherwise, you go home early for the Summer & that is true for everyone. I guarantee Maryland, as good as they are, are focused on Virginia, nothing else right now. They may pulverize Virginia in the quarters but they aren’t looking past them.
shoothi

Post by shoothi »

As Richmond will see in the film, so will Georgetown, how a simple lacrosse 101 communication error led to defeat.

Yes, Gtown should have done better with 1:30 possession but once the turnover happened, the D had to step up. However, the out top pick with the Delaware two middies caused the communication breakdown with the defense. Both defense players stayed with the man setting the pick as the other player came off the pick wide open. Easy pass for the attackman coming around to make, and a great look for a game-winning shot.

Goes to show how critical the simple is in both games for the losing team, Richmond, made 3 lacrosse 101 errors in the last minute and overtime to lose, while Georgetown's missed communication allowed for a great shot....... not to mention the Gtown offense player taking his eye of the pass when they had possession in the end.

Tough loss for both teams as the players gave it they're all. For those teams remaining take heed doing the lacrosse basics.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Difficult to watch. Just mistakes (and Delaware capitalizing on those mistakes) but holy crow it's difficult to watch those mistakes. Such is life...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

It did seem like from the start to end, the shot selection was very poor. They never seemed to get in the flow of their offense, and they got Delaware's goalie hot from the very first shot. Way too many stick side high shots and there were certainly times they did not make the goalie work.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

sc lax wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:17 am It did seem like from the start to end, the shot selection was very poor. They never seemed to get in the flow of their offense, and they got Delaware's goalie hot from the very first shot. Way too many stick side high shots and there were certainly times they did not make the goalie work.
And good shot selection was on of their hallmarks of success this year ....
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Coach Warne saw this coming - or something like this - during the end of the Big East tournament games and especially at the end of the Nova game when they slipped up and let Nova sort of back in the game. He was not a happy camper despite winning the Big East championship. This team, as good to great as it is defensively, has struggled to score goals against very good teams this year. Now there have not been a lot of very good teams on their schedule, but their sole loss to Princeton was a single digit game for the Hoyas. The weakness in the attack came back to bite them yesterday. Having said that, I am still bummed that the loss of one defensive middie would cause such chaos at that position but apparently that was the case.

Sorry ... this was a massive disappointment.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”