THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hoponboard

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by Hoponboard »

From Xanders:

“Tough blow for the @BoysLatinLax offense: @ILPreps’ No. 2 junior Brendan Grimes (Hopkins) will miss the rest of the season with a back injury. Unexpected news for the Lakers this week.”
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:36 pm
flalax22 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:29 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:36 am For the people whining about the tough academic standards that prevent kids from getting into homewood as why we can't win games anymore here's wilkins dismuke's youtube recruiting video where he lists that he has a 2.9 gpa and is ranked 269/400 in his graduating hs class
This is funny. Any non athletes that have applied and were rejected by Hopkins will be fuming reading this. :lol:
HOw so? If they are too stupid to realize that Hopkins, and every other single college, can admit whomever they want, shame on them and get over it.
Not realizing the extent that coaches can stretch admissions hardly makes you stupid. Do you think Corrigan at ND, Woj at Harvard or Shay at Yale could have got a Dismuke through the door?
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:15 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:36 am For the people whining about the tough academic standards that prevent kids from getting into homewood as why we can't win games anymore here's wilkins dismuke's youtube recruiting video where he lists that he has a 2.9 gpa and is ranked 269/400 in his graduating hs class
This is funny. Any non athletes that have applied and were rejected by Hopkins will be fuming reading this. :lol:
HOw so? If they are too stupid to realize that Hopkins, and every other single college, can admit whomever they want, shame on them and get over it.
Not realizing the extent that coaches can stretch admissions hardly makes you stupid. Do you think Corrigan at ND, Woj at Harvard or Shay at Yale could have got a Dismuke through the door?
Corrigan yes. Wojcik no. Shay yes.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

This was early 90s but my roommate had scored a 990 on his SATs and was at about a 3.5 in high school. Another was at about 1100 with a similar GPA. One is now head partner at a top 20 law firm, the other is head head of his department at the second best hospital in the world. I.e. not Hopkins but another hospital. I blew them out of the water on SAT and grades but they've killed my e after college. But, both have admitted if it wasn't for Margaff there is no way they would have gotten into Hopkins. I guess my point is that I completely disagree with Daniels and his number manipulation because lots of HS kids dedicate lots of time to sports that should help them excel at academics. Or that Dismuke shouldn't be at Hopkins. I might disagree he should play as much on the field but disagree that he should attend Hopkins
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

I visit a lot of schools' message boards in a lot of sports. Nearly every one of them has two common complaints, "Why don't the students come to the games like they did when I was in school?" and "Why doesn't the administration support the ______ team like it used to?" Doesn't matter which school. Doesn't matter which sport.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

HowieT3 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:07 pm I visit a lot of schools' message boards in a lot of sports.
My condolences. Is that a bit like waterboarding yourself?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Well 16. Reading is fundamental. Perhaps I was too obscure. I wrote IF he was a total liability on defense it might explain it because he would cause the defense to lose effectiveness. it was an example. there are others. I did not say that was the reason.

The fact is the coaching staff knows why he isn't playing and it is almost certainly something they are not seeing in practice. Zinn, playing or not, makes no difference to this year's record. Now if you can get Cole Williams to stop turning the ball over......... to know the answer you have to know why he isn't playing more, though time seems to be increasing. Who should lose playing time and why. Ex Cathedra pronouncements are usually not very illuminating.

There seems to be a lot of selection bias and motivational thinking in some posters. Underlying it seams to be the assumption the coach has total control of the situation and nothing has changed over time. Not stick technology, Not family financial issues. Not support issues etc,

There is a poster here who was all over one player a number of years ago for having a dramatic drop in production. He wasn't trying etc. The kid was an AA playing with a broken foot and gutting it out every week. Making judgements with ni basis. There are those that were all over Shack but the kids was playing his last year with injured ribs and had a back injury. When I see a coach who has dramatically helped Loyola, Cornell and Hopkins improve their programs and then hit a wall. I begin to ask why? Bill T left Princeton because of one personnel change where kids he used to get in he could no longer get in. Its an over simplification in that it is not fully explanatory but it captures a lot of it.

So what changes have their been. Those details seems to get ignored in a rush to judgment and taking the easy way out. The result is a distorted picture of reality.

I don't care for the President but the kind of knee jerk "the knives are out" kind of thing is a dismissive way of ignoring factors that don't fit a narrative.

There has been quit a bit of talent leaving Hopkins since he arrived. Are their replacements as good as or better? In most cases I don't know. In some I do. But I haven't been calling for his firing as readily as some people here are calling for someone to be fired. I think we could have done better. But he has preserved the Bloomberg relationship or at least not lost it. MB is a motivated donor. Would any of the other candidates have lost it?

Ask any coach what it takes to win a title and they will reply you have to have the horses. JHU has not had enough horses for a awhile now. So what changed. Did a coach with decades of success at three different D-1 teams suddenly forget how to coach. Or have other things become factors that were not factors before. Did we lost some of our value proposition? If so which ones? How can they be fixed? D-lll and D-l re very different things. Different rule sets, dynamics etc. Steel Hop makes a good point on grades in his post. In many law schools the common comment is the grads who will make the most money are to be found in the lower half of the class.

Before grade inflation struck led by schools like Duke ( 60 minutes featured them in a story about it) standards were relaxed for some lax players who were thought to be difference makers with the proviso they had to be strong C students once accepted. If they weren't the spigot would be turned off. We have some HOF players that met that standard.

I know a few who have commented when they played they absolutely hated to lose and they don't sense that same level of hare now. When Kyle Harrison arrived he had a hitch in this shot. He and a couple of others went out and shot 100x pretty much every day to overcome deficiencies. Is anyone doing that now? I don't know but its a fair question. Benson Irwin was the best SSDM in the country and when Kyle and he were on the field playing defense it was a clinic. Benson took up boxing to improve his foot work. That is devotion

Benson's mom sat in front of me for four years.In all that time when he was clearing the ball his mother would shout several times "Don't shoot, Benson" Come the VA play off game in 2005 Benson is clearing the ball in OT off a pass from Rabil. As he is coming down the field his mom is yelling at the top of her lungs "shoot the ball, Benson, Shoot the ball" 50 seconds into OT he wins the game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:56 am Well 16. Reading is fundamental. Perhaps I was too obscure. I wrote IF he was a total liability on defense it might explain it because he would cause the defense to lose effectiveness. it was an example. there are others. I did not say that was the reason.

The fact is the coaching staff knows why he isn't playing and it is almost certainly something they are not seeing in practice. Zinn, playing or not, makes no difference to this year's record. Now if you can get Cole Williams to stop turning the ball over......... to know the answer you have to know why he isn't playing more, though time seems to be increasing. Who should lose playing time and why. Ex Cathedra pronouncements are usually not very illuminating.
Reading is fundamental, but so is writing. And making sense.

Your precise sentence was, and I quote: "Zinn? I hoped he would start but if he is going to be a liability on defense and be the mismatch to attack better he doesn’t."

What else could that possibly mean other than you implying he is a liability on defense? Before you said that, there had been no previous discussion about him being a liability on defense. You introduced the idea out of the blue. If that's NOT what you meant, then your wording becomes even more difficult to parse. If being a liability on defense means a middie shouldn't be playing, as your sentence suggests, then why on god's green earth are Concannon, Baskin, DeSimone, etc. playing? It just doesn't track.

"Zinn, playing or not, makes no difference to this year's record." EXACTLY. So why isn't he playing? If putting him in is not a detriment to actually winning games, why would you not want your promising freshman—who will theoretically be an anchor of the midfield for years to come—to get more experience? If he doesn't affect the record one way or the other, what is the downside to playing him more? There is only upside.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:15 pm
I apologize, you are correct. Naive is the word.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

steel_hop wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:59 pm
This was early 90s but my roommate had scored a 990 on his SATs and was at about a 3.5 in high school. Another was at about 1100 with a similar GPA. One is now head partner at a top 20 law firm, the other is head head of his department at the second best hospital in the world. I.e. not Hopkins but another hospital. I blew them out of the water on SAT and grades but they've killed my e after college. But, both have admitted if it wasn't for Margaff there is no way they would have gotten into Hopkins. I guess my point is that I completely disagree with Daniels and his number manipulation because lots of HS kids dedicate lots of time to sports that should help them excel at academics. Or that Dismuke shouldn't be at Hopkins. I might disagree he should play as much on the field but disagree that he should attend Hopkins
My Fair Lady Syndrome.......sometimes you just gotta be given a chance.

Danny Laruso could have been playing soccer for REAL Madrid or Manchester United if the koba kii karate kids didn't pick on him. Coach kicked him outa tryouts within minutes. You just never know.

Study after study after study reveals that "aptitude" tests only gauge how well someone can take that test. Especially the prevalence of the ADD extended time scam. Lots of riddeline prescriptions in Darian, CT, Weston, MA and DC burbs.

One of the problems colleges have, including the "elite" colleges, is that they are lazy and rely on rich white privilege SAT's and GPA's. Heck, the Katholic HS have their own test, but Trinity, Vanderbilt and Stanford can't. Even Terpland has a cutoff for SAT scores and GPA. Lazy.

LET ZINN PLAY......or any of the other freshman you recruited. Mabbett no good coach? :roll:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
DMac

Post by DMac »

Hopkins 17, Michigan 6.
All in Hopkinsville are not quite so antsy and resting a little more comfortably after this one.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Well 16. I take your point. For years LaxFi would clean up in aisle 6. You still manage to distract from the more significant issues. This is marginal at best.

My freshman year I was told if I stuck it out fit four years I would probably get playing time as a senior, My regret is I declined . There is a debt owed to players who do. I don’t know the reason but because the coaching staff does and they are best positioned and qualified to make the decision I don’t see anything making the case it is an an error. You disagree but basedin what ? IL ranking of players? Your perception. I haven’t seen anything to change my mind within the context of the team. What do the players think? What are his reasons ? What would you say to counter them ? The team could always do worse. Inductive reasoning. Too much time on this already so I am done.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:07 am Well 16. I take your point. For years LaxFi would clean up in aisle 6. You still manage to distract from the more significant issues. This is marginal at best.

My freshman year I was told if I stuck it out fit four years I would probably get playing time as a senior, My regret is I declined . There is a debt owed to players who do. I don’t know the reason but because the coaching staff does and they are best positioned and qualified to make the decision I don’t see anything making the case it is an an error. You disagree but basedin what ? IL ranking of players? Your perception. I haven’t seen anything to change my mind within the context of the team. What do the players think? What are his reasons ? What would you say to counter them ? The team could always do worse. Inductive reasoning. Too much time on this already so I am done.
I am not “distracting” from anything. There are 85 pages worth of discussion about all of the issues. I am well aware that there are other problems besides whether or not one specific player sees the field or not. You’ll have to forgive me if I’m getting a little tired of the same old talking points and wanted to bring up something that actually has to do with the game of lacrosse.

I don’t care about the rankings, I disagree because I have eyes and I’ve watched Evan Zinn play lacrosse and I have come to the conclusion that he is good. I don’t know what Petro’s reasons are for anything because he only speaks in platitudes and doesn’t share anything of substance with the media. But I’m struggling to come up with anything that could possibly be more important than actual performance on game days. That’s assuming the goal is to win games. Maybe it’s not.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

OC’s injury discussion brings up a point not often brought up. The benefit of playing hurt.

If you’re only at 75% and play, and there’s not someone on the bench whose 100% is not better than an injured person’s 75%, well, hell, you’ve got two issues.

The injured player is likely to have a much slower return to his full 100%, and the bench does not further gain experience nor develop either. That scenario makes the rest of the current season worse, and impacts the next season too.

I’m sure plenty of that goes on each year.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Who on here said Wlax is 10-2? I knew they were wrong but didn’t bother to correct them.

Anyway, lost at Michigan today, 16-11, now 8-3 overall and 1-1 in conference. Too many turnovers today.

Better than 4-4.

Michigan Wlax is now 13-0 and 3-0. Off to a great start.

Now up, game 2 of the doubleheader. Will there be a sweep?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Only down by two. Meh.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hopkins defense is on pace to surrender 20 goals to Michigan. :roll:

Benson’s offense has struggled at times over the years, but the most common thread in the Blue Jays’ decade of futility has been Petro’s defense.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

It's nice to feel like HOPKINS LACROSSE again.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Well, that’s a pretty suffocating 30 minutes.

Now distribute some playing time in the 4th. Get some new looks and runs.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:27 pm It's nice to feel like HOPKINS LACROSSE again.
I'd hold off on the coronation. Michigan is having a very tough year. They have no faceoff game and are extremely undisciplined.

That said, yes, the 2nd and 3rd quarters were good. Something to build on. Moving on now.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”