Coaching Hot Seats

D1 Mens Lacrosse
LongIslandLacks

Re: Coaching Hot Seats

Post by LongIslandLacks »

I don’t think Tambroni is in trouble. The one Big 10 school that should make a change this year (IMO) is Michigan. They have to make the change if they are going to compete to win the league, which one would assume is their goal.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Could the coaches for:

Providence
NJIT
St. John's

have coached their last game this past weekend?
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:25 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:03 pm Penn State has announced the hiring of Patrick Kraft as their AD. He is currently the AD at Boston College. He has shown tremendous support for lacrosse while at BC, interesting to see if lacrosse will get increased support at PSU. His track record and Penn States success in non-revenue sports seems to line up well. My hunch is Tambroni gets at least 1 more year before it’s a serious discussion on longevity.
penn state has built a very nice program and did a tremendous job with the big ten tournament last year. Aside from those portapotties in the middle of the sideline their lacrosse stadium looks very nice as well. not sure why he would be considered for a change.
"He would be considered for a change" because he has won 7 games in the last two seasons going 3-11 this year. He has everything to offer any coach could ask for, location, facilities, AD support, Alumni support, top conference, etc. The bar for success is very high in State College and a new AD will want to win now.
LongIslandLacks

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:56 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:03 pm Penn State has announced the hiring of Patrick Kraft as their AD. He is currently the AD at Boston College. He has shown tremendous support for lacrosse while at BC, interesting to see if lacrosse will get increased support at PSU. His track record and Penn States success in non-revenue sports seems to line up well. My hunch is Tambroni gets at least 1 more year before it’s a serious discussion on longevity.
penn state has built a very nice program and did a tremendous job with the big ten tournament last year. Aside from those portapotties in the middle of the sideline their lacrosse stadium looks very nice as well. not sure why he would be considered for a change.
"He would be considered for a change" because he has won 7 games in the last two seasons going 3-11 this year. He has everything to offer any coach could ask for, location, facilities, AD support, Alumni support, top conference, etc. The bar for success is very high in State College and a new AD will want to win now.
He’s had one bad season (2022) and the season prior was mediocre, going 4-7 in an entirely in-conference schedule, although I think they finished 3rd after league play. Shut down year (2020), he was 5-2 with losses to the number 3 and 7 teams in the nation. 2019, he was 16-2. I can’t believe he’d be moved on after a dip in performance for one, maybe two seasons. If he goes another two seasons like he did in 2022, then I’d understand the rationale for a change. He’s never finished last in conference, a spot that has consistently been captured by Michigan (I believe). Tambroni has some work to do, but PSU would be crazy to make a change at this point.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:08 am
xxxxxxx wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:56 am
He’s had one bad season (2022) and the season prior was mediocre, going 4-7 in an entirely in-conference schedule, although I think they finished 3rd after league play. Shut down year (2020), he was 5-2 with losses to the number 3 and 7 teams in the nation. 2019, he was 16-2. I can’t believe he’d be moved on after a dip in performance for one, maybe two seasons. If he goes another two seasons like he did in 2022, then I’d understand the rationale for a change. He’s never finished last in conference, a spot that has consistently been captured by Michigan (I believe). Tambroni has some work to do, but PSU would be crazy to make a change at this point.
In addition to Tambroni’s “Big Time” top rated recruit coming on
campus in 2023-24, they’ve got Matt Lazzaro coming this fall.
He just made UA first wave at attack, so he’s obviously moved up
in the “rankings” by doing that PG year.
It could be back to the future on offense for Tambroni where they
are looking to replicate that 2015-2020 wave, with similarly
skilled incoming players.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Michigan moved on from Paul when it looked like he had brought them as far as he could. I don't follow the program closely but I know Conry has gotten some good recruits, but beside beating TOSU a few times the team is last or next-to-last regularly. If the admin wants to regularly compete w Maryland right now then shame on them, but if the want to- and they should- challenge Rutgers, Hop, etc. how much more time will they wait?

Cliff's notes version: is this as good as Conry can get the program?
LongIslandLacks

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:22 am Michigan moved on from Paul when it looked like he had brought them as far as he could. I don't follow the program closely but I know Conry has gotten some good recruits, but beside beating TOSU a few times the team is last or next-to-last regularly. If the admin wants to regularly compete w Maryland right now then shame on them, but if the want to- and they should- challenge Rutgers, Hop, etc. how much more time will they wait?

I think that Conry tied for 5th a couple of times, which is last place. Otherwise, he’s landed 6th. No different from Paul. This season was the worst in league performance, as they did not win a game. I think he’s won 4 conference games in the equivalent of 5 seasons (doubled up 2021 because it was home and away only conference play). Paul won 1 in 3 Big 10 seasons. Conry’s performance might have been better with Paul’s recruits as his only winning season was achieved with them. There is really not any advancement to show in five years. Where I think he really stepped in it was the scheduling this season. The super easy schedule to start the season in retrospect turned out to be a huge blunder. Started 7-0. Ended 7-8. No conference wins. Early in the season he had a nice win against Delaware where from the stat line it seemed that he fielded a complete team on both sides of the ball but you wonder if the Hens got to play them again, whether the result would be the same.
LongIslandLacks

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:22 am Michigan moved on from Paul when it looked like he had brought them as far as he could. I don't follow the program closely but I know Conry has gotten some good recruits, but beside beating TOSU a few times the team is last or next-to-last regularly. If the admin wants to regularly compete w Maryland right now then shame on them, but if the want to- and they should- challenge Rutgers, Hop, etc. how much more time will they wait?

I think that Conry tied for 5th a couple of times, which is last place. Otherwise, he’s landed 6th. No different from Paul. This season was the worst in league performance, as they did not win a game. I think he’s won 4 conference games in the equivalent of 5 seasons (doubled up 2021 because it was home and away only conference play). Paul won 1 in 3 Big 10 seasons. Conry’s performance might have been better with Paul’s recruits as his only winning season was achieved with them. There is really not any advancement to show in five years. Where I think he really stepped in it was the scheduling this season. The super easy schedule to start the season in retrospect turned out to be a huge blunder. Started 7-0. Ended 7-8. No conference wins. Early in the season he had a nice win against Delaware where from the stat line it seemed that he fielded a complete team on both sides of the ball but you wonder if the Hens got to play them again, whether the result would be the same.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Another question would be: who can get better players to Ann Arbor, where it's better than just coin-flip odds?
LongIslandLacks

a fan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:47 am

Another question would be: who can get better players to Ann Arbor, where it's better than just coin-flip odds?
Not sure that is a worthwhile metric. On another thread, someone just posted the 2018 IL “top 100”. Several are still in the game. Many seem to have made little impact. Some have disappeared altogether. Paul had highly-ranked classes. So has Conry. The test is what the coach does with the class.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Tierny (HOFSTRA) has nothing to worry about. He's a lifer.
a fan

Post by a fan »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:28 pm

Not sure that is a worthwhile metric.
We're talking about two different things. You're talking about Inside Lacrosse recruit rankings.

I'm talking about actually getting better players to Ann Arbor.
LongIslandLacks wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:28 pm On another thread, someone just posted the 2018 IL “top 100”. Several are still in the game. Many seem to have made little impact. Some have disappeared altogether. Paul had highly-ranked classes. So has Conry. The test is what the coach does with the class.
Help me understand your thoughts here. You're telling me that you understand, correctly, that the Inside Lacrosse rankings are better used to paper your birdcage. They're useless, and tell you nothing about how good a kid will be on a D1 field.

But then you go on to try and hold UMich coaches accountable to this obviously inaccurate (to put it politely) recruit rankings.

Speaking for myself....IL pumps up fan expectations to the point of absurdity. The only thing more absurd than the rankings, is holding coach's accountable to the absurd rankings...with the idea that if you land a top 10 Il recruit, and he doesn't make all American....oh, well, then obviously his coach was horrible.
LongIslandLacks

a fan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:46 pm
LongIslandLacks wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:28 pm

Not sure that is a worthwhile metric.
We're talking about two different things. You're talking about Inside Lacrosse recruit rankings.

I'm talking about actually getting better players to Ann Arbor.
LongIslandLacks wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:28 pm On another thread, someone just posted the 2018 IL “top 100”. Several are still in the game. Many seem to have made little impact. Some have disappeared altogether. Paul had highly-ranked classes. So has Conry. The test is what the coach does with the class.
Help me understand your thoughts here. You're telling me that you understand, correctly, that the Inside Lacrosse rankings are better used to paper your birdcage. They're useless, and tell you nothing about how good a kid will be on a D1 field.

But then you go on to try and hold UMich coaches accountable to this obviously inaccurate (to put it politely) recruit rankings.

Speaking for myself....IL pumps up fan expectations to the point of absurdity. The only thing more absurd than the rankings, is holding coach's accountable to the absurd rankings...with the idea that if you land a top 10 Il recruit, and he doesn't make all American....oh, well, then obviously his coach was horrible.
I can only ask that you carefully read what I post and resist going bonkers with wild hyperbole and obtuse extrapolations. Recruiting is not a discriminator among coaches for a place like Michigan, in my opinion. Whoever coaches there will get really strong players coming out of high school. Paul had classes “ranked” in the top ten from time to time. Conry inherited those players and recruited other highly ranked players. Some end up flaming out—like at other schools. The bottom line is that the coach owns the results. And I am not talking about whether the coach develops an AA. I am talking about finishing higher than LAST PLACE in conference since the conference existed. And at a place with the best facilities in the conference. (Caveat for OSU because I understand they are getting new facilities and do not know if they will surpass Michigan’s).
socalref

Post by socalref »

Miller has resigned at St John's
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Getting in on the interview process early.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

socalref wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:05 pm Miller has resigned at St John's
Impossible place to recruit and coach IMO.
socalref

Post by socalref »

Henpecked wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:57 pm
Understand the difficulties in recruiting to a school with limited/no real campus life/atmosphere, but not sure why it's impossible to coach there.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

He is a good man and hopefully he lands at a place that is easier to recruit to.
NYC_lax

Post by NYC_lax »

Henpecked wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:57 pm
I have seen several comments about St John's being very difficult to recruit to and how it is a commuter school. I am familiar with the city and university and would have to disagree. The school is in a safe residential ares of Queens, and while it does have commuters from the city and Long Island, it houses around 3,000 students on campus in newly built dorms and thousands of additional students live in off campus housing around the school. The business school has gained a lot of recognition lately and was recently ranked 38th in Best Undergraduate Business Schools in 2022 by Poets&Quants. There is also a great alumni network in the city including Wall Street that are anxious to assist graduates in finding good jobs in the city. The campus gives students the best of both worlds, a residential green campus with restaurants and bars near campus and in Bayside, while also being a quick Uber or subway ride away from Manhattan.

I have been to the St Joe's and Drexel campus's in Philly and St John's is no different than these city schools. If a player is looking to live in the city with all it has to offer and possibly work there after graduation St John's should be a school to consider.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Is there a list of programs who have not made the ncaa tournament the last 4 years and current coaches with 4+years at their current schools w/losing records?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”