Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by DocBarrister »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:57 pm Don’t want to get into an economic morass but Mike Trout is absolutely worth $426 million. In fact, that is his precise worth, as that is what someone was willing to pay for him, which is essentially the economic definition of worth.
It’s an artificially inflated number paid by broadcast rights. He’s the best player in baseball, so he has the most lucrative contract in baseball. He has value as a player, but does he have a commercial value of $426 million over 12 years?

Another measure of commercial “worth” and probably one of the best measures for a professional athlete is the value of endorsement deals. Trout makes about $3 million annually on that front.

By comparison, LeBron James, the biggest star in basketball, makes nearly twenty times what Trout does in endorsements.

Could most Americans even pick Trout out of a lineup?

Trout is overvalued within baseball, and his endorsement portfolio probably reflects his actual true value as a professional athlete.

Now, is the overvaluation of baseball (and college lacrosse for that matter) vulnerable to an inevitable fall or collapse? Depends … if we keep having massive competition in businesses peddling “sports content”, then we’re going to keep seeing giant revenue going to baseball and Dartmouth lacrosse will keep being aired nationally every week. Media outlets are desperate for “content”, no matter how good or bad, or how popular or unpopular, that content is. Remains to be seen.

Also, there is precedent for things of inherently zero value maintaining great value, and U.S. paper money is the greatest example. Paper money has almost no intrinsic value. But it has great value because the U.S. government says it has value and stands behind it.

Anyway, I note the Dartmouth-Brown men’s lacrosse game is airing on subscription ESPN+ this weekend. I have been catching snippets of Dartmouth games recently, just hoping they can finally get that Ivy win. :)

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

a fan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:09 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:11 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:05 pm
Homer wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:59 pm Always forget that Dressel was enrolled at Harvard (aka, the “lost cause” of college lacrosse). However, am I correct in that Dressel never played at Harvard?
Well he was a 1st team All American at Hopkins his freshmen year so I don't think so
He never played at Harvard, which is why he had 4 years of eligibility at Hopkins and became one of the very few 4-time first team AAs in the sport. I do believe he played club lacrosse before coming to Hopkins though.
He was at Harvard for fall, and arrived at Hopkins for spring.....so no fall ball, straight to a 1st team AA performance as a freshman. Pretty crazy. John Tucker, the Towson transfer arrived the next year, 84.
Dressel, still one of the best midfielders I’ve ever seen.
He tried mightily to win that ‘83 finals on his own.
And that ‘84 team was close to perfection.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:29 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:09 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:11 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:05 pm
Homer wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:59 pm Always forget that Dressel was enrolled at Harvard (aka, the “lost cause” of college lacrosse). However, am I correct in that Dressel never played at Harvard?
Well he was a 1st team All American at Hopkins his freshmen year so I don't think so
He never played at Harvard, which is why he had 4 years of eligibility at Hopkins and became one of the very few 4-time first team AAs in the sport. I do believe he played club lacrosse before coming to Hopkins though.
He was at Harvard for fall, and arrived at Hopkins for spring.....so no fall ball, straight to a 1st team AA performance as a freshman. Pretty crazy. John Tucker, the Towson transfer arrived the next year, 84.
Dressel, still one of the best midfielders I’ve ever seen.
He tried mightily to win that ‘83 finals on his own.
And that ‘84 team was close to perfection.
Team had a decent goalie, too.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:48 pm according to the the school website the game is still at 1 and now on big ten plus. according to big ten plus the game will air at 4pm. So a tape delayed home game on a network where the program receives no revenue. to all those of you who beat me up here for the ridiculousness of our games on big ten plus take a victory lap.
When did Hop start getting $$ from ESPN (or other network)?
Hail to the Victors

HillsLax wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:14 pm "maybe we will test if daniels, alum $, et.al. want to get hopkins back in the top 10."

The narrative the lacrosse team is not supported by the administration is nonsense, most likely propounded by someone who still misses Coach Pietramala. I have heard and read this canard ad nauseum, but no one ever offers any proof. Rather the same lame rhetoric is repeated in an echo chamber. The facts are Hopkins gives scholarships to those in need and to lacrosse players, need or not, hired a successful and well-known coach, has a lacrosse center, is a member of a prestigious major conference, and seemingly has success in getting the players it wants into the University. What else would you like to see happen? For those still pining for Petro it is time to accept he is gone (frankly, several years too late), and support the team or give up. Constant carping is c@*p, unless, of course, you have nothing else in life to do.
Practice bubble?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:25 pm
pcowlax wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:57 pm Don’t want to get into an economic morass but Mike Trout is absolutely worth $426 million. In fact, that is his precise worth, as that is what someone was willing to pay for him, which is essentially the economic definition of worth.
It’s an artificially inflated number paid by broadcast rights. He’s the best player in baseball, so he has the most lucrative contract in baseball. He has value as a player, but does he have a commercial value of $426 million over 12 years?

Another measure of commercial “worth” and probably one of the best measures for a professional athlete is the value of endorsement deals. Trout makes about $3 million annually on that front.

By comparison, LeBron James, the biggest star in basketball, makes nearly twenty times what Trout does in endorsements.

Trout is overvalued within baseball, and his endorsement portfolio probably reflects his actual true value as a professional athlete.

Now, is the overvaluation of baseball (and college lacrosse for that matter) vulnerable to an inevitable fall or collapse? Depends … if we keep having massive competition in businesses peddling “sports content”, then we’re going to keep seeing giant revenue going to baseball and Dartmouth lacrosse will keep being aired nationally every week. Media outlets are desperate for “content”, no matter how good or bad, or how popular or unpopular, that content is. Remains to be seen.

Also, there is precedent for things of inherently zero value maintaining great value, and U.S. paper money is the greatest example. Paper money has almost no intrinsic value. But it has great value because the U.S. government says it has value and stands behind it.

Anyway, I note the Dartmouth-Brown men’s lacrosse game is airing on subscription ESPN+ this weekend. I have been catching snippets of Dartmouth games recently, just hoping they can finally get that Ivy win. :)

DocBarrister
Again, don’t want to really get into this but his worth is what someone is willing to pay for him. You can say the team should not have that much money to pay because the TV contracts overvalue interest in baseball (BTW tell that to the 70 million! people who attend MLB games a year) but that is only going up. Speaking of 20th century thinking, in the splintering content world, the only sure pull for an audience is live sports, no one is going to watch Netflix and then watch the game replay tomorrow. This is why Amazon, Apple and others are desperate to get into sports rights (Amazon has already bought Thursday night football). Licensing fees for sports people care about, which include, to my own personal scorn, baseball but most decidedly not lacrosse, are only going to go up, not down.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:37 pm

DocBarrister
Again, don’t want to really get into this but his worth is what someone is willing to pay for him. You can say the team should not have that much money to pay because the TV contracts overvalue interest in baseball (BTW tell that to the 70 million! people who attend MLB games a year) but that is only going up. Speaking of 20th century thinking, in the splintering content world, the only sure pull for an audience is live sports, no one is going to watch Netflix and then watch the game replay tomorrow. This is why Amazon, Apple and others are desperate to get into sports rights (Amazon has already bought Thursday night football). Licensing fees for sports people care about, which include, to my own personal scorn, baseball but most decidedly not lacrosse, are only going to go up, not down.
Yes. Trout gets that money because of revenue sharing and as the pie goes up, so does the salaries. The reality is this, if Mike Trout didn’t play next season, I doubt that major league baseball or California Angels ratings would be impacted in any way. In Basketball, stars drive revenue on and off the court. There is probably a closer correlation between intrinsic value and basketball salaries than there is baseball salaries. I may be out of touch though. Hockey salaries are going up. Keep an eye out. The value of live sports is spot on.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Post by 1766 »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:35 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:48 pm according to the the school website the game is still at 1 and now on big ten plus. according to big ten plus the game will air at 4pm. So a tape delayed home game on a network where the program receives no revenue. to all those of you who beat me up here for the ridiculousness of our games on big ten plus take a victory lap.
Speaking of, how long is their agreement with ESPN? I can't imagine the B1G is going to allow that to continue without having some piece of it.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

1766 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:59 pm
Speaking of, how long is their agreement with ESPN? I can't imagine the B1G is going to allow that to continue without having some piece of it.
The big ten is going to allow us to do whatever we want w/our deal which has been in place since 2005 and was grandfathered in when we joined the conference. Dumb post.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:37 pm Practice bubble?
God I wished I had PM'd someone predicting this - could see it from miles away. Reminds me of the famous Buddy Garrity line in Fridat\y Night Lights:
"Tammy Taylor - We don't need a jumbotron - We WANT a jumbotron." It's why we didn't get Rambo.

Post by 1766 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:06 pm
1766 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:59 pm
The big ten is going to allow us to do whatever we want w/our deal which has been in place since 2005 and was grandfathered in when we joined the conference. Dumb post.
If you know anything about the Big Ten, it's that they share all revenue equally. I have no doubt they grandfathered in the existing deal when Hopkins was granted membership. I also have no doubt there is zero chance they would allow Hopkins to sign another deal outside the scope of the conference when that existing deal expires. It's simply not how they work and Hopkins has next to zero bargaining power. What will be most interesting is if ESPN would even want to given the state of the program.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

1766 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:28 pm I also have no doubt there is zero chance they would allow Hopkins to sign another deal outside the scope of the conference when that existing deal expires.
Except they already have

Post by 1766 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:35 pm
1766 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:28 pm I also have no doubt there is zero chance they would allow Hopkins to sign another deal outside the scope of the conference when that existing deal expires.
Except they already have
Do you have any links to back that claim up? I've never heard that and the only information I could find is the original deal being honored upon being accepted into The League.

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2013/ ... espnu-deal
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

1766 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:28 pm If you know anything about the Big Ten, it's that they share all revenue equally. I have no doubt they grandfathered in the existing deal when Hopkins was granted membership. I also have no doubt there is zero chance they would allow Hopkins to sign another deal outside the scope of the conference when that existing deal expires. It's simply not how they work and Hopkins has next to zero bargaining power. What will be most interesting is if ESPN would even want to given the state of the program.
I think your mistaking the bIG for an entity that cares what Hopkins does. Hopkins does have some bargaining power in that if they leave - no auto to the NCAA tournament. It works both ways - if Northwestern/Illinois/Wisconsin etc. were somehow able to conjure up a men's program - Hopkins would be kicked to the curb. From the Big's perspective Hopkins is there for one purpose and one purpose only - to get to 6 teams. The meager dollars - which mean alot to Hopkins - would be pennies under the couch divided by 10 or more. As to whether ESPN has any interest in renewing the deal - interesting point - I would point to the page count and the fact that Rutgers and Michigan fans are trolling here as evidence that it is as worthwhile as any program as I haven't visited the Rutgers page in many months and by a page count of 38 - not many others have either.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:43 pm As to whether ESPN has any interest in renewing the deal - interesting point - I would point to the page count and the fact that Rutgers and Michigan fans are trolling here as evidence that it is as worthwhile as any program as I haven't visited the Rutgers page in many months and by a page count of 38 - not may others have either.
lmaooooooo
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the guy at espn has a deep relationship with homewood and he doesn't seem to be going anywhere. he just cut a deal w/Rabil to show his PLL which includes a game at homewood. there are a long list of things to think about at homewood right now but this isn't one of them. Hopkins lacrosse is a brand, like notre dame football, the masters, the yankees, the red sox, the lakers, espn knows this and this relationship isn't going away. quint and carc have no shortage of hot takes and rumors coming out and I've never heard them so much as hint at any alteration of this relationship.

every few years a big ten school gets a new ad and they're asked about lacrosse and to a man and woman they've all said thanks but no thanks. they have sports w/bigger footprints in their states, sports they've cut, budget issues, basically they don't want this especially on the mens side. I don't see a hopkins program struggling to make the ncaa tournament walking away from the conference auto bid, or the conference membership pushing out a school that brings the national brand and tv exposure not to mention academics, history and location to the table. What are they going to add to replace us, marquette? Detroit, Cleveland state? You saw the galloway pod I posted at the beginning of the year-he said he spent years trying to get a game in the baltimore area for his players from that region and (unstated for the recruiting exposure) I doubt this is going anywhere. If there were rumblings of changes to espn or the big ten I suppose they would've come out of the homecoming and terp game conclaves and huddles of alumni, ex players and university honchos.
Hail to the Victors

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:23 pm
Hail to the Victors wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:37 pm Practice bubble?
God I wished I had PM'd someone predicting this - could see it from miles away. Reminds me of the famous Buddy Garrity line in Fridat\y Night Lights:
"Tammy Taylor - We don't need a jumbotron - We WANT a jumbotron." It's why we didn't get Rambo.
Thank you for that substantive rebuttal.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister
would you..... get..... off.....his.... back? you're emotionally displacing his injury unavailability with his owner's and franchise's inability to surround him with competent players.

just stop.
HillsLax

Post by HillsLax »

"Practice bubble?

Thank you for that substantive rebuttal."

If you have some facts to critique the questioning of those who deride the administration and the AD, let's have them.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I see the Ravens just committed franchise suicide.
They must have called Jenn Baker and asked how best to screw up their team.
Is there anyone more stupid in Baltimore than Eric DeCosta?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”