Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by DocBarrister »

Homer wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:01 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:24 am Here you go.

Casual observers may assume that despite this lack of popularity, baseball is still somehow insanely valuable. This is an illusion. Major League Baseball generated around $11 billion in revenue in 2019, but this figure does not accurately reflect the demand for its product. The astronomical salaries that continue to be enjoyed by the sport’s stars (if that is the mot juste) are a result not of the game’s nonexistent popularity but of the economics of cable television providers, who bundle regional sports networks alongside dozens of other channels so that anyone with cable TV is buying baseball whether he likes it or not.

Mike Trout’s $426 million contract is effectively being paid by millions of grandparents who just want to tune in to Anderson Cooper or “Antiques Roadshow.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/06/opin ... alize.html

DocBarrister
Thank you.

Reading the op-ed (not actually an "article," but the line between news and opinion tends to be a bit of a moving target for this particular poster) already knowing Doc's reaction to it was a really glorious DocBarrister moment for me. Anyone who's been enjoying Doc's speculations up to this point is really encouraged to click on the link to the NYT piece. It uses phrases like "current (absurdly inflated) market valuation," and although very much tongue-in-cheek, is clearly based on the normal-person premise that market failures are ultimately unsustainable and sooner than later the selling price for baseball telecasts will revert to reflecting its actual economic value. Doc reads the same words and the dollar signs start popping off like flashbulbs above his head.

That combination of unbridled optimism and instinctive attraction to rent-seeking as an entrepreneurial strategy, it's just -- nobody does it better. Like wgdsr said, a generational talent.
Cryptocurrencies and derivatives have no inherent value. It’s not like gold, a precious metal that can actually be used to make other valuable things.

Asset-backed securities often have market values that vastly exceed the market value of the underlying assets (sometimes with disastrous macroeconomic consequences).

Major League Baseball and its “stars” are assets that are almost certainly vastly overvalued. There is no way that Mike Trout is worth $426 million. Much of America doesn’t even know who he is.

But like cryptocurrencies, derivatives, and asset-backed securities (and indeed, entire companies like Tesla), the inflated market value is due to marketing, packaging, and perception.

I suspect if college lacrosse is packaged and marketed properly, it’s perceived value will continue to increase as a sport.

As just an example, how challenging was it to find a Bryant or Dartmouth college lacrosse game on national television 20 years ago? Has men’s college lacrosse expanded markedly over that time? Yet now, we can watch Dartmouth and Bryant almost weekly on the ESPN app. Has Dartmouth or Bryant really achieved anything to merit the additional broadcast coverage or revenue? It’s analogous to the mortgage-backed securities that became a problem 15 years ago. The quality of the underlying mortgages were not of concern … only the existence of mortgages as an “asset” that could be bundled, marketed, and sold.

It’s a matter of proper packaging and bundling that will largely determine the revenue that flows into college lacrosse. Actual popularity and viewership? If you’re thinking on those terms, then you are thinking in outdated 20th century concepts.

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

And to think I considered this thread my one safe haven on the internet from crypto drivel
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:32 pm And to think I considered this thread my one safe haven on the internet from crypto drivel
Crypto, Dartmouth lacrosse … same thing.

(With apologies, MDLF76.)

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
HillsLax

Post by HillsLax »

"It's been put out there by petro in a number of interviews, quint repeatedly, carc and other media members in stories. Thanks."

It is not credible to rely upon statements made by a former employee who ran the program into the ground and wants to blame anyone but himself. As for Quint and Carc (Click and Clack ?) they are all part of the same echo chamber. They merely say what Petro and his supporters say. Again, is there anything anyone can point to that will support the oft-repeated statements that neither the administration nor the AD has adequately supported the lacrosse program? I say this is BS, but I am willing to listen to anyone, except for the usual know-nothing commentators.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:08 pm Sorry if I missed the mention, but didn't Desimone (on the '78 team) transfer from Navy?
Sorry - I guess I helped get all this transfer stuff going but here's my attempt to end it. Hopkins has 9 NCAA titles - in most of them a transfer or two played a significant role. Robert DeSimone/Scott Baugher/Brendan Schneck/Del Dressel/John Tucker/Larry Ledoyen/Matt Rewkowski/Matt Bocklett and maybe others all played significant roles on their respective championship teams. It is beyond my memory to recall whether any of the 1974 offensive stalwarts - Thomas/Whittelsberger/Kowalchuk/Hirsch/Nolan/Kohler were transfers - I didn't think so and pretty confident about the first 3 but again don't remember. The '07 team had a transfer that scored 1 goal during the season - Bocklett a defensemen. It is also a true statement - if you consider Wisnauskas a quasi transfer as he has spent almost all of his career at MD - that the majority of the prized Hopkins transfers spent 2/3/4 seasons at Hopkins and there have been very few one year rentals.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:08 pm Sorry if I missed the mention, but didn't Desimone (on the '78 team) transfer from Navy?
Sorry - I guess I helped get all this transfer stuff going but here's my attempt to end it. Hopkins has 9 NCAA titles - in most of them a transfer or two played a significant role. Robert DeSimone/Scott Baugher/Brendan Schneck/Del Dressel/John Tucker/Larry Ledoyen/Matt Rewkowski/Matt Bocklett and maybe others all played significant roles on their respective championship teams. It is beyond my memory to recall whether any of the 1974 offensive stalwarts - Thomas/Whittelsberger/Kowalchuk/Hirsch/Nolan/Kohler were transfers - I didn't think so and pretty confident about the first 3 but again don't remember. The '07 team had a transfer that scored 1 goal during the season - Bocklett a defensemen. It is also a true statement - if you consider Wisnauskas a quasi transfer as he has spent almost all of his career at MD - that the majority of the prized Hopkins transfers spent 2/3/4 seasons at Hopkins and there have been very few one year rentals.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HillsLax wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:43 pm "It's been put out there by petro in a number of interviews, quint repeatedly, carc and other media members in stories. Thanks."

It is not credible to rely upon statements made by a former employee who ran the program into the ground and wants to blame anyone but himself. As for Quint and Carc (Click and Clack ?) they are all part of the same echo chamber. They merely say what Petro and his supporters say. Again, is there anything anyone can point to that will support the oft-repeated statements that neither the administration nor the AD has adequately supported the lacrosse program? I say this is BS, but I am willing to listen to anyone, except for the usual know-nothing commentators.
Don’t understand this assertion of the lacrosse program lacking support from the Hopkins administration. After all, it probably wasn’t cheap hiring Milliman, Junior, and Koesterer away from their former employers.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:53 pm
Always forget that Dressel was enrolled at Harvard (aka, the “lost cause” of college lacrosse). However, am I correct in that Dressel never played at Harvard?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Homer

Post by Homer »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:22 pm
Cryptocurrencies and derivatives have no inherent value. It’s not like gold, a precious metal that can actually be used to make other valuable things.
The one kink left to be worked out in this plan is turning the Dartmouth-Bryant game into a negotiable asset I can use to buy stuff with

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:22 pm
It’s a matter of proper packaging and bundling that will largely determine the revenue that flows into college lacrosse. Actual popularity and viewership? If you’re thinking on those terms, then you are thinking in outdated 20th century concepts.

DocBarrister
Opinion writer: "The price eventually has to come down. Perceptions of reality completely untethered to the underlying facts can't just be indefinitely sustained."

DocBarrister: "Hold my beer."
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Homer wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:59 pm Always forget that Dressel was enrolled at Harvard (aka, the “lost cause” of college lacrosse). However, am I correct in that Dressel never played at Harvard?
Well he was a 1st team All American at Hopkins his freshmen year so I don't think so
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:05 pm
Homer wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:59 pm Always forget that Dressel was enrolled at Harvard (aka, the “lost cause” of college lacrosse). However, am I correct in that Dressel never played at Harvard?
Well he was a 1st team All American at Hopkins his freshmen year so I don't think so
He never played at Harvard, which is why he had 4 years of eligibility at Hopkins and became one of the very few 4-time first team AAs in the sport. I do believe he played club lacrosse before coming to Hopkins though.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Just to be clear, I didn't write that ^^^^
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Don’t want to get into an economic morass but Mike Trout is absolutely worth $426 million. In fact, that is his precise worth, as that is what someone was willing to pay for him, which is essentially the economic definition of worth.

Post by 1766 »

Why didn't Milliman wear a BLM shirt like he did last year against Maryland?
a fan

Post by a fan »

1766 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:11 pm Why didn't Milliman wear a BLM shirt like he did last year against Maryland?
Politics thread, my man. Please.

Post by 1766 »

So he was making a political statement last year?

Not trying to get into the merits of the quasi- organization, I'm just wondering why he picked such a critical time to support a certain group last year, but didn't this year? It obviously seemed very important at that time. Seems strange.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Still absolutely obsessed with us I see
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:11 pm
He never played at Harvard, which is why he had 4 years of eligibility at Hopkins and became one of the very few 4-time first team AAs in the sport. I do believe he played club lacrosse before coming to Hopkins though.
Thanks.

Great, consistent player.

I think he’s a practicing psychiatrist these days in the Baltimore area.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:11 pm
He was at Harvard for fall, and arrived at Hopkins for spring.....so no fall ball, straight to a 1st team AA performance as a freshman. Pretty crazy. John Tucker, the Towson transfer arrived the next year, 84.

Post by 1766 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:46 pm Still absolutely obsessed with us I see
That's a typical response from someone without a real answer. Just say you don't know if you feel the need to so badly chime in on my posts.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”