Duke

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Duke

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I find the dissection and analysis very enjoyable. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Based on this season alone, Duke's schedule does not balance out with teams like UF, SB, and JMU. Loyola ends up being somewhat limited in OOC scheduling because of the size of the Patriot League (10 teams) and Loyola's SOS is really brought down by some really bad teams in the Patriot League with RPI Ranks >90 (Colgate, Boston U, and Lafayette).

sos 0413.png
sos 0413.png (4.19 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
OuttaNowhereWregget

@inthe8m wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:45 am Based on this season alone, Duke's schedule does not balance out with teams like UF, SB, and JMU. Loyola ends up being somewhat limited in OOC scheduling because of the size of the Patriot League (10 teams) and Loyola's SOS is really brought down by some really bad teams in the Patriot League with RPI Ranks >90 (Colgate, Boston U, and Lafayette).

sos 0413.png
Bear in mind that the RPI/SOS has yet to be tallied for Duke’s upcoming games versus Boston College and North Carolina. (Nor have these other teams finished playing their in-conference cupcakes.) When those games have been played, rest assured Duke’s schedule will be right there with the rest of these teams.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:05 am
@inthe8m wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:45 am Based on this season alone, Duke's schedule does not balance out with teams like UF, SB, and JMU. Loyola ends up being somewhat limited in OOC scheduling because of the size of the Patriot League (10 teams) and Loyola's SOS is really brought down by some really bad teams in the Patriot League with RPI Ranks >90 (Colgate, Boston U, and Lafayette).

sos 0413.png
Bear in mind that the RPI/SOS has yet to be tallied for Duke’s upcoming games versus Boston College and North Carolina. (Nor have these other teams finished playing their in-conference cupcakes.) When those games have been played, rest assured Duke’s schedule will be right there with the rest of these teams.
RPI kind of makes me think of the SATs.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

sos 0413.png
Yeah, but....I thought we were criticizing Duke on OOC? :D
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:25 am

sos 0413.png
Yeah, but....I thought we were criticizing Duke on OOC? :D
We’re stream of consciousness here, man. We go with the flow. Can you dig it? Groovy. ✌️
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

sos 0413.png
I would like to see the math that supports your belief that Duke will end up with a Top 10 SOS after playing UNC and BC.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:16 am

sos 0413.png
Yes, it helps delineate between those who understand math and those who do not.
OuttaNowhereWregget

@inthe8m wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:00 pm

sos 0413.png
I would like to see the math that supports your belief that Duke will end up with a Top 10 SOS after playing UNC and BC.
I’m not a math guy. I’m just guessing that by the time Duke is done with BC & NC; and Stony Brook is done with New Hampshire and UMass Lowell—the numbers will be closer than further away.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:11 pm

sos 0413.png
I’m not a math guy. I’m just guessing that by the time Duke is done with BC & NC; and Stony Brook is done with New Hampshire and UMass Lowell—the numbers will be closer than further away.
That is a fair point. However, RPI for Duke may go down with losses.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:21 pm

sos 0413.png
Very true, Doc. But @inthe8m was referring to SOS which is what I was responding to.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:21 pm

sos 0413.png
Attachments
thesting.jpg
thesting.jpg (24.28 KiB) Viewed 745 times
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:21 pm That is a fair point. However, RPI for Duke may go down with losses.
And then again, the way the mashugana RPI is calculated, with the bad wins and good losses...who knows. Not me.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

The RPI is actually a pretty straightforward calculation.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

sos 0413.png
I always thought of mid-season RPI is pretty useless. The season needs to be over in order for all the data to be counted. Kind of like trying to make the financial reports for 2022 after only finishing Q2.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

@inthe8m wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:10 pm The RPI is actually a pretty straightforward calculation.
It is. It just means that although one part of the calculation increases because UNC and BC bring high WP, another part of the calculation decreases because Duke (presumably) loses both games.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I’d say this bears my theory out to a degree. And I’m guessing by the end of the season, the SOS will be right there, as well. Sometimes you don’t need no Fields Medal—just a little dab o’ common sense’ll do ya. 😉
FanLax Computer wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:02 pm Rank, Team, Win Percentage, Win Rank, Loss Rank

– Team W% W L
1 North Carolina 100% 1 1
2 Northwestern 86% 2 4
3 Boston College 93% 3 2
4 Loyola 92% 5 5
5 Syracuse 79% 3 9
6 Stony Brook 82% 8 7
7 Maryland 92% 6 8
8 Duke 93% 9 5
9 Denver 92% 12 3
10 Princeton 78% 11 10
11 Florida 69% 15 12
12 Rutgers 77% 10 16
13 James Madison 69% 7 21
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

I am pretty sure most of us are just talking about the SOS that is used by the tournament committee. Not poppycock stuff like the FanLax Computer poll.

You really should have stopped here ...
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:11 pm I’m not a math guy.
OuttaNowhereWregget

@inthe8m wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:28 pm I am pretty sure most of us are just talking about the SOS that is used by the tournament committee. Not poppycock stuff like the FanLax Computer poll.

You really should have stopped here ...
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:11 pm I’m not a math guy.
You correctly referred to SOS initially, which is what my original post addressed. But if you want to talk RPI, the current rankings have Duke ahead of Loyola and close to the rest of the pack in the top 15 or so.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse- ... crosse-rpi
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:14 pm

sos 0413.png
I always thought of mid-season RPI is pretty useless. The season needs to be over in order for all the data to be counted. Kind of like trying to make the financial reports for 2022 after only finishing Q2.
Of course, we are in Q4 of the season and SOS and RPI are pretty much set other than some minor adjustments. It is not as if someone is going to jump 20 spots in SOS or RPI at this point.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”