Duke

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Duke

Post by Matnum PI »

Kimel Announces 2021 Signing Class

DURHAM, N.C. – Duke women's lacrosse head coach Kerstin Kimel is excited to announce the signing class of 2021.

The class features eight signees – Carly Bernstein, Kennedy Everson, Tess Gagliano, Ellie Lazzaretto, Kerry Nease, Celia Ralph, Mattie Shearer and Reilly Traynor.

"We are really excited to announce our 2021 recruiting class," Kimel stated. "They are an outstanding group of talented and extremely motivated players who love to work. All eight of these young women are hungry to finish their high school careers on a high note after having their junior seasons canceled by the pandemic. Each are also fantastic, hardworking and high achieving students. I am confident they will take full advantage of the academic opportunities that Duke has to offer while also being excellent stewards of the greater university community. We expect this class to have an immense impact in our program and we will look forward to their arrival on campus in August."

Meet the incoming class... Kimel Announces 2021 Signing Class
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Cletus

Duke releases schedule

Post by Cletus »

15 game season which they may well extend by advancing in the ACC tournament and then in The Tournament. Duke returns all 12 starters from last year. Poised to make some noise.

https://goduke.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/schedule
Cletus

Not Ready

Post by Cletus »

Duke is obviously not ready to challenge for the upper echelon of the ACC after recent disappointing showings against NC and Syracuse. They'll be battling with BC, Virginia, et al. to determine the next level hierarchy.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Duke

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

After the Duke men's team suffered the gross injustice of false accusations and tragically destroyed lives in the mid 2000's, I have had a special place in my heart for Duke women's lacrosse. I typically root for them against everyone except a chosen few teams that are nearer and dearer to my heart. Yet since 2016, Duke is a pedestrian 55-46, missing The Dance in 3 straight years between '16 and covid.

2021 11-8 beat def champs in 2nd rd NCAA's
2020 6-3 covid
2019 11-8 out of NCAA's
2018 9-8 out of NCAA's
2017 7-10 out of NCAA's
2016 11-9 lost 2nd rd NCAA's
2015 16-5 lost NCAA semi

They've had some big wins in that time period, and have battled a lot of the upper echelon teams tooth and nail, but in the end, not much glory in the postseason...until this past year. Though they only managed an 11-8 record when the books were closed, they had a relatively great year. Gabby Rosenzweig was a huge part of that, and instrumental in knocking the defending champion Terps out of the NCAA's in the 2nd round. Duke got destroyed in the quarters by Northwestern afterward, but it didn't tarnish a great season for the Ladies from Duke. Any time a team knocks the defending champs out of The Dance, that's a noteworthy achievement.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

So, what's the purpose of these last two posts, seemingly out of the blue, other than to troll Duke fans, players, family?

Same poster, different monikers.

And seriously, because the men's team had a traumatic event, having had strippers to a team party, you became a Duke women's lax program fan??? :roll:

And whose lives were tragically destroyed???
Sure, huge injustice...but "tragically destroyed"???
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

While the men's team no doubt went through a serious injustice 15 years ago, there are a lot of great storylines that come from the women's program too.

In January of 2015 Coach Kimmel was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer. She then underwent 3 surgeries and began chemotherapy which ended in June. She only missed one game during the 2015 season and Duke advanced to the Final Four that year. Last January marked Kimmel reaching the 5-year survival benchmark.

In July of 2019, Duke women's lacrosse player Morgan Rodgers committed suicide after struggling with her mental health. Morgan's Message was created as a non-profit to help confront, raise awareness, provide resources, and change the stigma surrounding mental health in student-athletes. Morgan's Message, I believe, was created by Morgan's family, not members of the lacrosse team, but it is heavily supported by many of its members as well athletes from other schools and in other sports.

There are many others, but those are just two off the top of my head
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:08 am While the men's team no doubt went through a serious injustice 15 years ago, there are a lot of great storylines that come from the women's program too.

In January of 2015 Coach Kimmel was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer. She then underwent 3 surgeries and began chemotherapy which ended in June. She only missed one game during the 2015 season and Duke advanced to the Final Four that year. Last January marked Kimmel reaching the 5-year survival benchmark.

In July of 2019, Duke women's lacrosse player Morgan Rodgers committed suicide after struggling with her mental health. Morgan's Message was created as a non-profit to help confront, raise awareness, provide resources, and change the stigma surrounding mental health in student-athletes. Morgan's Message, I believe, was created by Morgan's family, not members of the lacrosse team, but it is heavily supported by many of its members as well athletes from other schools and in other sports.

Very touching post. My vision was blurred halfway into it. It’s always a crying shame when people take their own lives, but most especially when it’s a young woman like that. My heart aches for the family and friends she left behind—particularly her poor parents who will grapple with what ifs and I should haves for the rest of their lives. Breaks your heart.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:08 am While the men's team no doubt went through a serious injustice 15 years ago, there are a lot of great storylines that come from the women's program too.

You are correct, Morgan’s Message was created by her family but many members of the Duke community are involved with it. Really, really great organization that I recommend everyone check out if you haven’t yet
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

And indeed, those are the sort of reasons to be a 'fan' of a program.

Thanks for sharing.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Olivia Carner

One of the many players I enjoyed watching last year for Duke was sophomore midfielder Olivia Carner. As seen in the clip, Ms. Carner is strong, bold and aggressive in her drives to cage. She's also more than willing to lay the lumber when a message needs sending. Olivia Carner should be even more dangerous next year as she enters her junior year. She started only one game last year but played in all 19. She ended the season scoring a career high 5 goals vs Northwestern in the NCAA quarters. Was also key in Duke's close game with Carolina--chipping in 4 goals vs the Heels. My kind of player--skilled, fearless and chippy.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Cool little highlight reel of Katie DeSimone’s rookie season. I like her fire.

https://twitter.com/dukewlax/status/142 ... 57056?s=21
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

DeSimone plays with a lot of "grit and determination" and a good amount of attitude. So does Carner.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

DeSimone plays with a lot of "grit and determination" and a good amount of attitude. So does Carner.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:56 pm DeSimone plays with a lot of "grit and determination" and a good amount of attitude. So does Carner.
Until they get a new coach in there I'm not sure it will matter. Same goes for UVA. They need some fresh blood in those programs. There's no reason that they aren't challenging for championships every year.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:56 pm DeSimone plays with a lot of "grit and determination" and a good amount of attitude. So does Carner.
Yes! So true about Carner. She instantly became one of my favorite players when I saw her play last year. Bold to cage and not afraid to lay the lumber when needed.

OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:59 pm Until they get a new coach in there I'm not sure it will matter. Same goes for UVA. They need some fresh blood in those programs. There's no reason that they aren't challenging for championships every year.
I hear you, but I'm learning to just appreciate what certain teams can do given their limitations. When I think of Duke, I don't consider them a threat to win the national championship, but they do play an entertaining brand of lacrosse, and they do get their share of blue chip players who are a joy to watch. And occasionally, they make a big noise in the lacrosse world, like last year in the 2nd round when they bounced the defending champs:

suffolk

Post by suffolk »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:56 am
hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:59 pm Until they get a new coach in there I'm not sure it will matter. Same goes for UVA. They need some fresh blood in those programs. There's no reason that they aren't challenging for championships every year.
I hear you, but I'm learning to just appreciate what certain teams can do given their limitations. When I think of Duke, I don't consider them a threat to win the national championship, but they do play an entertaining brand of lacrosse, and they do get their share of blue chip players who are a joy to watch. And occasionally, they make a big noise in the lacrosse world, like last year in the 2nd round when they bounced the defending champs:

The Duke men's program has been to the Final Four 13 of the last 14 seasons and 14 of the last 16 seasons. The women's program missed the NCAA tournament entirely in three of the last four seasons. Duke has it all, great academics, great campus, nice weather, a big time athletic program, numerous alumni working on Wall Street creating a network for graduates. There is no question the women's program has underachieved the last few years. The resources there should create a Final Four team nearly every year.
OuttaNowhereWregget

suffolk wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:23 pm The Duke men's program has been to the Final Four 13 of the last 14 seasons and 14 of the last 16 seasons. The women's program missed the NCAA tournament entirely in three of the last four seasons. Duke has it all, great academics, great campus, nice weather, a big time athletic program, numerous alumni working on Wall Street creating a network for graduates. There is no question the women's program has underachieved the last few years. The resources there should create a Final Four team nearly every year.
Any theories as to why that is?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:27 pm
suffolk wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:23 pm The Duke men's program has been to the Final Four 13 of the last 14 seasons and 14 of the last 16 seasons. The women's program missed the NCAA tournament entirely in three of the last four seasons. Duke has it all, great academics, great campus, nice weather, a big time athletic program, numerous alumni working on Wall Street creating a network for graduates. There is no question the women's program has underachieved the last few years. The resources there should create a Final Four team nearly every year.
Any theories as to why that is?
Sure but you get offended when we criticize coaches. Kimel has been there forever. It's time for a change. As I said above the same is true at UVA.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I agree that a coaching change is needed. It's as if many of these schools do not care about their women's lacrosse program and how well they are doing. They care about the big revenue sports. People around the sport refer to several programs as a place where "All Americans go to die" and the programs on that list include Florida, ND and Duke and it is largely due to coaching. Duke had a better year this year due in part to them dominating the draw, but I know girls who recently played at Duke who say the girls there just don't care that much. They use lax to get into Duke and many don't even care if they make the tournament. That info came from someone there 2 years ago. That's a culture issue that falls on the coach.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”