UVA at UNC

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Maverick

Re: UVA at UNC

Post by Maverick »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:22 pm Virginia - and Maryland too - are the best teams in the country by a strong margin and I’d be surprised if both don’t play on Memorial Day. But both will lose - maybe not more than 4x combined between them, but they will - because they’re playing grueling schedules and no one goes undefeated. MD came close last year, albeit with a wonky schedule, but there’s a reason it hasn’t happened since 2006 and IMO likely never will again. It’s just too hard nowadays. Season is too long, and these top teams schedule too tough.
To clarify though, the last time it was done in 2006 it did happen to be the wahoos. Md is definitely competent enough to beat the hoos and vice versa imo. But everyone else is playing for 3rd the way I see it. Only way I see that many combined losses between the 2 is if they change the schedule to play each other more

This cav team isn't as dominant as the 06 team but I think they are just as dangerous to score in any phase of the game

Duke may get themselves in shape but they don't have the horses UVA and umd have. If you made an all star team of hoos and terps, and paired then against an all star team from the rest of the NCAA, I'm not sure how close that game ends
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Maverick wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:40 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:22 pm Virginia - and Maryland too - are the best teams in the country by a strong margin and I’d be surprised if both don’t play on Memorial Day. But both will lose - maybe not more than 4x combined between them, but they will - because they’re playing grueling schedules and no one goes undefeated. MD came close last year, albeit with a wonky schedule, but there’s a reason it hasn’t happened since 2006 and IMO likely never will again. It’s just too hard nowadays. Season is too long, and these top teams schedule too tough.
To clarify though, the last time it was done in 2006 it did happen to be the wahoos. Md is definitely competent enough to beat the hoos and vice versa imo. But everyone else is playing for 3rd the way I see it. Only way I see that many combined losses between the 2 is if they change the schedule to play each other more

This cav team isn't as dominant as the 06 team but I think they are just as dangerous to score in any phase of the game

Duke may get themselves in shape but they don't have the horses UVA and umd have. If you made an all star team of hoos and terps, and paired then against an all star team from the rest of the NCAA, I'm not sure how close that game ends
This UVA team is amazing. It could wind up in the pantheon by end of May. That UVA team might be the best team of all time, or at least of the last 25 years or so.

And while that UVA team probably wins a title today, there’s more talent spread out in today’s game, season is longer, they play more games against conf rivals who are familiar with them. They’d probably drop 1 or 2 as well.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:52 pm

This UVA team is amazing. It could wind up in the pantheon by end of May. That UVA team might be the best team of all time, or at least of the last 25 years or so.

And while that UVA team probably wins a title today, there’s more talent spread out in today’s game, season is longer, they play more games against conf rivals who are familiar with them. They’d probably drop 1 or 2 as well.
I hear what you are saying, but imo 22 UVA is far more likely to drop a game then 06 UVA. 06 UVA was surgical, physical, scary, relentless, calculating, talent top to bottom. Sieman said they passed harder than his team shot. Haven seen a team close to that since
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Ward and rubeor were a true thing of beauty
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Maverick wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:55 pm

I hear what you are saying, but imo 22 UVA is far more likely to drop a game then 06 UVA. 06 UVA was surgical, physical, scary, relentless, calculating, talent top to bottom. Sieman said they passed harder than his team shot. Haven seen a team close to that since
I would agree with that. I also think 22 UVA drops a game or two as well
molo

Post by molo »

From a UVA grad, keep in mind that in 2006 a team that UVA would have played once in the regular season and maybe again in the ACC and NCAA tournaments canceled its season. Would UVA have gone undefeated that year? Maybe, but it’s worth noting that the team with the best chance to have beaten them didn’t finish the season.
Can they go undefeated this year? Maybe so, but even though I think Maryland is the only team I would say is consistently playing at about the same level as UVA, there are several teams on their schedule capable of upsetting them. Pretty tough to run the table this year. The NC will probably have a loss or two.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Possibility certainly exists but as others have proven no one wants to put a bottle of wine on a particular team doing it. Will they beat everyone but Maryland? Maybe not. But they are talented enough that they should
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:04 pm

Which team? You could win a bottle of wine
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

molo wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:17 pm From a UVA grad, keep in mind that in 2006 a team that UVA would have played once in the regular season and maybe again in the ACC and NCAA tournaments canceled its season. Would UVA have gone undefeated that year? Maybe, but it’s worth noting that the team with the best chance to have beaten them didn’t finish the season.
Can they go undefeated this year? Maybe so, but even though I think Maryland is the only team I would say is consistently playing at about the same level as UVA, there are several teams on their schedule capable of upsetting them. Pretty tough to run the table this year. The NC will probably have a loss or two.
You can only beat who you play. Had nothing to do with UVA. Was it handled properly? No. Does that slight UVA? Not in the least.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Maverick wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:28 pm

Easiest answer is Maryland next week but I’ll go ahead and say Duke on April 14th. Duke’s success against UVA over a long, long period of time is well known at this point but that’ll be a shortened rest game, UVA will have been on a stretch of @ UNC/MD/ND/@ Richmond/UNC and then have to go to Durham. While I think UVA will toast Duke’s D, Duke can score. Could be a game where UVA has tired legs, just doesn’t quite click, Duke scores 16-17
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The point was even the last team to go wire to wire, 16yrs ago, didn’t have a full field and that you’d have to go back even further to get one that did. That’s how difficult it is.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:31 pm
Maverick wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:28 pm

Easiest answer is Maryland next week but I’ll go ahead and say Duke on April 14th. Duke’s success against UVA over a long, long period of time is well known at this point but that’ll be a shortened rest game, UVA will have been on a stretch of @ UNC/MD/ND/@ Richmond/UNC and then have to go to Durham. While I think UVA will toast Duke’s D, Duke can score. Could be a game where UVA has tired legs, just doesn’t quite click, Duke scores 16-17
Other than md. Reading important. You wagering a bottle on Duke then?
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:33 pm The point was even the last team to go wire to wire, 16yrs ago, didn’t have a full field and that you’d have to go back even further to get one that did. That’s how difficult it is.
Why did Duke not play?
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Were they out of the county doing community service?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Do you truly not know or is that a loaded/rhetorical question? The administration cancelled their seasons over a social issue that was fabricated and a horrific travesty of the criminal justice system as well as an abrogation of the administration to protect their wards (students) choosing to favor the academics who behaved atrociously.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Maverick wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:38 pm Were they out of the county doing community service?
If you do know what happened do you want to go there given a few thi gs that went down in the last decade under Dom?
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:39 pm Do you truly not know or is that a loaded/rhetorical question? The administration cancelled their seasons over a social issue that was fabricated and a horrific travesty of the criminal justice system as well as an abrogation of the administration to protect their wards (students) choosing to favor the academics who behaved atrociously.
Ah that makes sense. They f'd up so let's neg the cavs for that. Your logic and reason are non existent sir
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:40 pm
Maverick wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:38 pm Were they out of the county doing community service?
If you do know what happened do you want to go there given a few thi gs that went down in the last decade under Dom?
I was there at the time, thanks
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Friends with will George and yeardley. Want to talk about it?
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

You know the actions of an individual are much different than the actions of a whole team right?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”