UVA at UNC

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Maverick

Re: UVA at UNC

Post by Maverick »

Let's bet a bottle of wine. Who is beating them?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Maverick wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:43 pm Let's bet a bottle of wine. Who is beating them?
someone. i'm in. choose the wine.
LaxTime2020

Post by LaxTime2020 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:04 am
Maverick wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:43 pm Let's bet a bottle of wine. Who is beating them?
UVA is the real deal and probably the best team in the country, but I would still take the field right now!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

LaxTime2020 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:09 am
UVA is the real deal and probably the best team in the country, but I would still take the field right now!
Gotta pick a team, not the field. I think Maryland has a great shot. Don't think many others do
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

And I'm a Pinot guy. Put a bottle on a team that aren't the terps
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

PulpExposure wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:19 pm As a Terps fan, I think Maryland is really really good this year.

Virginia looks just better. Virginia is honestly terrifying. Can’t think of a single weak spot on their team. Great defense, good goalie, great faceoff guy, and multiple matchup nightmares on offense. They’re clearly in my mind in the catbird’s seat for a third natty in a row.

I think UNC is going to struggle this year. There just seems to be no one who can beat their defender aside from Gray, the midfield is not very good, and the close defense struggles a lot with both cover and communication.

That being said this game was a great first half and incredibly enjoyable to watch. Until the second half where UVA just put the clamps on….

UVA beat High Point by 1 goal, at home, getting 71% from Lasalla at FO, 62% save percentage by Nunes who also had to make 3 saves in the last 4 minutes to seal the game.

That’s ‘terrifying’?
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Maverick wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:07 am
Gotta pick a team, not the field. I think Maryland has a great shot. Don't think many others do
No Virginia fans on here are making any of these boastful predictions. Virginia will lose at least a game or 2 in ACC conference like everyone does every year. Some teams they play twice. Obviously, the game with the Terps is also a toss up on paper. All it takes is a poor day, hot day hot goalie, missed calls, mistakes, injuries, etc
Last edited by blue angels on Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

blue angels wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:33 am
No Virginia fans on here are making any of these boastful predictions. Virginia will lose at least a game or 2 in ACC conference like everyone does every year. Some teams they play twice. Obviously, the game with the Terps is also a toss up on paper. All it takes is a poor day, hot day hot goalie, mistakes, injuries, etc
+1
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I agree that UVA is absoutely next level elite. They're slick, powerful, cocky, agressive, just everything they do is turned all the way up. They look staggeringly good......which is why I was so surprise to see Carolina, who does not look good at all this year, weather the storm early on and hang tough. I see Carolina winning this match up when it counts the most this year.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

stupefied wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:01 pm Nothing was decided last night, Gray is an unreal talent who has taken over several games despite being the focus of opposing defenses . Doesn't have the supporting cast of uva nor the unc cast of last year Saw the slippery field causing footing problems for those who cut sharply and reverse . Gray had a few backhanders off catches that just missed besides not getting a few more assists as teammates failed to convert. . Gray and Shellenberger are two unreal players who are so enjoyable to watch. Looking forward to the UVA UNC rematch hopefully on a better playing field.
VA defensively is on another level then UNC. Plus Nunes will get better as the season goes.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:12 am
PulpExposure wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:19 pm As a Terps fan, I think Maryland is really really good this year.

Virginia looks just better. Virginia is honestly terrifying. Can’t think of a single weak spot on their team. Great defense, good goalie, great faceoff guy, and multiple matchup nightmares on offense. They’re clearly in my mind in the catbird’s seat for a third natty in a row.

I think UNC is going to struggle this year. There just seems to be no one who can beat their defender aside from Gray, the midfield is not very good, and the close defense struggles a lot with both cover and communication.

That being said this game was a great first half and incredibly enjoyable to watch. Until the second half where UVA just put the clamps on….

UVA beat High Point by 1 goal, at home, getting 71% from Lasalla at FO, 62% save percentage by Nunes who also had to make 3 saves in the last 4 minutes to seal the game.

That’s ‘terrifying’?
The balance of evidence shows that was just an off game. Every team has them.
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:12 am

That’s ‘terrifying’?
Certainly isn't. Of course that was a month ago in an early February game. Will be interesting to see outcome of Heels game against high point which is the next game.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

No Virginia fans on here are making any of these boastful predictions. Virginia will lose at least a game or 2 in ACC conference like everyone does every year. Some teams they play twice. Obviously, the game with the Terps is also a toss up on paper. All it takes is a poor day, hot day hot goalie, missed calls, mistakes, injuries, etc
If it's boastful, take the bet. If it's not it wouldn't make sense to bet.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:02 am
No Virginia fans on here are making any of these boastful predictions. Virginia will lose at least a game or 2 in ACC conference like everyone does every year. Some teams they play twice. Obviously, the game with the Terps is also a toss up on paper. All it takes is a poor day, hot day hot goalie, mistakes, injuries, etc
+1
A reasonable bet that no on else is willing to take isn't boastful. In fact kind of shows many believe my statement they just don't want to say it
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Maverick wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:17 pm
A reasonable bet that no on else is willing to take isn't boastful. In fact kind of shows many believe my statement they just don't want to say it
You're the one making a bet where you're picking Virginia over the field, and then telling people they can't pick the field. Sounds like you don't even believe your own statement.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

10 10 2 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:46 pm
Maverick wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:17 pm
You're the one making a bet where you're picking Virginia over the field, and then telling people they can't pick the field. Sounds like you don't even believe your own statement.
No sir, said didn't see UVA losing. If you have a team that's gonna beat em put up a bottle.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

If you want to take the field I get 8:1 odds.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Virginia - and Maryland too - are the best teams in the country by a strong margin and I’d be surprised if both don’t play on Memorial Day. But both will lose - maybe not more than 4x combined between them, but they will - because they’re playing grueling schedules and no one goes undefeated. MD came close last year, albeit with a wonky schedule, but there’s a reason it hasn’t happened since 2006 and IMO likely never will again. It’s just too hard nowadays. Season is too long, and these top teams schedule too tough.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:22 pm Virginia - and Maryland too - are the best teams in the country by a strong margin and I’d be surprised if both don’t play on Memorial Day. But both will lose - maybe not more than 4x combined between them, but they will - because they’re playing grueling schedules and no one goes undefeated. MD came close last year, albeit with a wonky schedule, but there’s a reason it hasn’t happened since 2006 and IMO likely never will again. It’s just too hard nowadays. Season is too long, and these top teams schedule too tough.
+1
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:22 pm Virginia - and Maryland too - are the best teams in the country by a strong margin and I’d be surprised if both don’t play on Memorial Day. But both will lose - maybe not more than 4x combined between them, but they will - because they’re playing grueling schedules and no one goes undefeated. MD came close last year, albeit with a wonky schedule, but there’s a reason it hasn’t happened since 2006 and IMO likely never will again. It’s just too hard nowadays. Season is too long, and these top teams schedule too tough.
And while Cornell fans like to point out they beat Duke, that was also an “odd” year as well.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”