Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: Halves or Quarters?

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:55 am
seacoaster wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:51 am
Yeah, I have to get some work done this morning because the rest of the day is TV, couch, lax, food.
I am working too. One of those, run an animation program for 24 hours, see the results and have to restart it because of one little thing....ugh.
Ouch.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Referencing an earlier question on another thread which I can’t locate because I’m still easing back into the work week on a Monday.

I am 99% sure the under .500 accommodation was just for the one year (2021) coming back from Covid.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:02 am
seacoaster wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:03 am I know I am probably in the minority on this. The quarter seems to be just another stop in a game already riddled with stoppages. It is a coach's change, and not a change for fans or players. It also feels like another stop on the ineluctable march to making the women's game like the men's game. Which is to say padded, slow, specialized and overcoached.
Menza a menz on the quarters, halves but I sure do like this analysis, i.e. "like the men's game."
I even heard a commentator say quarters makes it more like the men's game. Gotta say I cringed
a little with that comment. Oh, and thanks for the new word.

You, seacoaster and NJBill all have a problem with the phrase "like the Men's game". I have no problem with it because it is never used in this way : "we need to see the ENTIRE game turn into the Men's game". Not ONE person I have ever heard utter that. I like seeing certain things adapted into Women's Lacrosse from Men's...moves, some strategies, some rules. Remember what we watched this past Summer with the Women's Pro League? Some of that was brutal physically, to the point that I and others (you know who you are) were saying "if you're going to allow that then you need to go to Helmets, Pads and Gloves." I'm not for that, but if you're going that way, then this is going to have to be done.

One thing I would like to see on the stat sheets online is a column for Draw Controls as opposed to Face-offs.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:35 pm One thing I would like to see on the stat sheets online is a column for Draw Controls as opposed to Face-offs.
Yes please. My guess is that there's a men's and women's version of the stat keeping software and they haven't updated the women's software to reflect current game play so some schools are using the men's version. I've noticed this with programs that use "sidearmstats". Statkeeper has the column for DC's.
DMac

Post by DMac »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:35 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:03 am I know I am probably in the minority on this. The quarter seems to be just another stop in a game already riddled with stoppages. It is a coach's change, and not a change for fans or players. It also feels like another stop on the ineluctable march to making the women's game like the men's game. Which is to say padded, slow, specialized and overcoached.
Menza a menz on the quarters, halves but I sure do like this analysis, i.e. "like the men's game."
I even heard a commentator say quarters makes it more like the men's game. Gotta say I cringed

You, seacoaster and NJBill all have a problem with the phrase "like the Men's game". I have no problem with it because it is never used in this way : "we need to see the ENTIRE game turn into the Men's game". Not ONE person I have ever heard utter that. I like seeing certain things adapted into Women's Lacrosse from Men's...moves, some strategies, some rules. Remember what we watched this past Summer with the Women's Pro League? Some of that was brutal physically, to the point that I and others (you know who you are) were saying "if you're going to allow that then you need to go to Helmets, Pads and Gloves." I'm not for that, but if you're going that way, then this is going to have to be done.

One thing I would like to see on the stat sheets online is a column for Draw Controls as opposed to Face-offs.
I'd actually be surprised if you hadn't ever heard anyone say that, LGL, and I'd bet it's the coveted casual fan you've heard say it. I've heard it several times from casual fans/people new to the game/people who know absolutely nothing about wlax.. ;) )..."give 'em pads and let 'em play lacrosse" (put a game on the TV in a bar). I like a lot of the mlax that has been brought to wlax but as you note the wlax game creeps nearer the mlax game as time goes on ( the ineluctable march ;))......Women's Pro league for sure, a little tough to watch and think, nah, we don't need no stinkin' equipment.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

DMac wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:41 pm

I'd actually be surprised if you hadn't ever heard anyone say that, LGL, and I'd bet it's the coveted casual fan you've heard say it. I've heard it several times from casual fans/people new to the game/people who know absolutely nothing about wlax.. ;) )..."give 'em pads and let 'em play lacrosse" (put a game on the TV in a bar). I like a lot of the mlax that has been brought to wlax but as you note the wlax game creeps nearer the mlax game as time goes on ( the ineluctable march ;))......Women's Pro league for sure, a little tough to watch and think, nah, we don't need no stinkin' equipment.
I'm just glad my daughters will be done playing by the time that happens. The women's game is much more enjoyable to watch as it is.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I don't want to see wlax turn into mlax any more than you do, ctlax. An absolutely beautiful game, a different game than mlax, just leave it alone (have to enforce rules). I do like the 3v3 on the draw and the play on whistles (the stoppage and repositioning prior to that really made wlax tough to watch), possession clock (no more keep away/stall). Wlax needs to be careful about catering to the casual fan and not make growing the game bigger the game itself. They cater too much to those fair weather fans and the girls will be playing mlax. My advice to the casual fan is to not watch the game if they don't like the way it's played, and the keepers of the game should feel the same, IMO, and not sell the game out to appease that fan. I think they've got the game the way it's going to be for a long time, I do feel as if it needed some tweaking but now just leave it alone.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:01 am I don't want to see wlax turn into mlax any more than you do, ctlax. An absolutely beautiful game, a different game than mlax, just leave it alone (have to enforce rules). I do like the 3v3 on the draw and the play on whistles (the stoppage and repositioning prior to that really made wlax tough to watch), possession clock (no more keep away/stall). Wlax needs to be careful about catering to the casual fan and not make growing the game bigger the game itself. They cater too much to those fair weather fans and the girls will be playing mlax. My advice to the casual fan is to not watch the game if they don't like the way it's played, and the keepers of the game should feel the same, IMO, and not sell the game out to appease that fan. I think they've got the game the way it's going to be for a long time, I do feel as if it needed some tweaking but now just leave it alone.
AMEN
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:19 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:35 pm One thing I would like to see on the stat sheets online is a column for Draw Controls as opposed to Face-offs.
Yes please. My guess is that there's a men's and women's version of the stat keeping software and they haven't updated the women's software to reflect current game play so some schools are using the men's version. I've noticed this with programs that use "sidearmstats". Statkeeper has the column for DC's.
A word about stats - people would be shocked if they knew how inaccurate stats are. For the top 20 teams, yes, they are accurate for the most part. But you get to the mid tier teams and it's a bit of a joke. Wild inconsistencies in assists, TO's, DC's, CTO's and even ground balls and saves.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:40 am
A word about stats - people would be shocked if they knew how inaccurate stats are. For the top 20 teams, yes, they are accurate for the most part. But you get to the mid tier teams and it's a bit of a joke. Wild inconsistencies in assists, TO's, DC's, CTO's and even ground balls and saves.
Yeah, I've seen many stats given to the wrong players or stats that simply weren't even counted. One specific time, this was a DII game, stats were awarded to a player that wasn't even eligible to be playing that season. It's a shame, but I know resources are limited at some schools, and the person keeping the stats may not be that experienced.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:01 am I don't want to see wlax turn into mlax any more than you do, ctlax. An absolutely beautiful game, a different game than mlax, just leave it alone (have to enforce rules). I do like the 3v3 on the draw and the play on whistles (the stoppage and repositioning prior to that really made wlax tough to watch), possession clock (no more keep away/stall). Wlax needs to be careful about catering to the casual fan and not make growing the game bigger the game itself. They cater too much to those fair weather fans and the girls will be playing mlax. My advice to the casual fan is to not watch the game if they don't like the way it's played, and the keepers of the game should feel the same, IMO, and not sell the game out to appease that fan. I think they've got the game the way it's going to be for a long time, I do feel as if it needed some tweaking but now just leave it alone.
Couldn't agree more.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

I have mostly stayed out of the discussion on the rules changes - but I actually like the change to quarters. And I don't consider that a change to "be more like the men's game" but rather as a means of breaking up the play in a well defined way.

I actually also liked the move by the women's basketball game to quarters and I also would like the men at the college level to do so as well. Especially with media timeouts every 4 minutes watching a men's basketball game can get more tedious than it needs to be.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:41 pm

I really have never heard anyone say that...Really! And I don't frequent Bars. Haha
DMac

Post by DMac »

We gotta get you out more, brotha. ;)
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

No I'm shocked that you put something like this out! You broadbrushed all the stats and stat keepers, outside of those in the "beloved top 20 of D1". Are you freakin crazy saying some hyperbolic BS like that? I believe that there are problems with stats in all sports at every level. Therefore I'm not going to exempt D1 from those problems. Show your proof of the "wild inconsistencies" or please stop tarnishing other Lacrosse programs.

You used to coach, right? Show some respect for the sport and the people who work behind the scenes.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:07 pm We gotta get you out more, brotha. ;)
Appreciate the thought, but in my current condition a Bar is the LAST place I need to venture out to. :lol: :lol:
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:31 pm
No I'm shocked that you put something like this out! You broadbrushed all the stats and stat keepers, outside of those in the "beloved top 20 of D1". Are you freakin crazy saying some hyperbolic BS like that? I believe that there are problems with stats in all sports at every level. Therefore I'm not going to exempt D1 from those problems. Show your proof of the "wild inconsistencies" or please stop tarnishing other Lacrosse programs.

You used to coach, right? Show some respect for the sport and the people who work behind the scenes.
what does coaching have to do with it? If you don't understand what I'm talking about then you know a lot less than I thought you do.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

LGL - I too was surprised you've "never heard that". I certainly have - mostly from Dad's.
Play on, shot clock and defenders being able to go through goal circle have helped pace of game immensely and I think made both sides happy. So leave it alone for a while!
The pro league was hard to watch- for me. I didn't know anyone who paid attention to it and I'm not sure what it really did to "grow game". Rapid growth is not necessarily a good thing, imo. Officiating and coaching may never catch up to the incredible growth and changes to the women's game and athlete's in the last 15 years.
Sidenote - I knew a coach (HS) who would credit a player with a gb if they dropped a pass and picked up her own drop. 😂
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

tothedraw wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:01 pm Sidenote - I knew a coach (HS) who would credit a player with a gb if they dropped a pass and picked up her own drop. 😂
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:08 pm
tothedraw wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:01 pm Sidenote - I knew a coach (HS) who would credit a player with a gb if they dropped a pass and picked up her own drop. 😂
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Serious question... Is there some Stat rule that indicates they shouldn't get a GB? If they drop a pass and it is contested, but they get the ball, is that not a ground ball?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”