Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
TNLAX

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by TNLAX »

hmmm wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:41 pm 3 rules from men's lacrosse that women's lacrosse need to adopt:
1. Especially now that they are using quarters, if a team is a woman-up with possession of the ball when a quarter ends, the woman-up team should start the next quarter with the ball. If a team receives a card very late in a quarter it's not fair that the woman-up team has to win a draw to take advantage of the card.
2. If there is a violation on the draw and the ball is awarded to a team, the attackers and defenders should have to hold in the box until the whistle is blown to start play. It's not fair that the team given the ball has to get the ball through a ride to the restraining line. They're not allowed to leave the box until possession is gained so why are the attackers allowed to run up and redefend on a violation?
3. If a card is issued on an offensive player(dangerous shot, foul on the redefend, etc) the team going woman-up should get a free clear. In men's lacrosse it's to midfield so in women's it would make sense to give it to them at the restraining line.

All three of those are current rules in men's lacrosse and I believe make total sense and would lead to more scoring.

Thoughts?
100% couldn't agree more with these three points/suggestions. To often in the women's game a foul rewards the team committing the foul and these three examples point that out..
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

hmmm wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:41 pm 3 rules from men's lacrosse that women's lacrosse need to adopt:
1. Especially now that they are using quarters, if a team is a woman-up with possession of the ball when a quarter ends, the woman-up team should start the next quarter with the ball. If a team receives a card very late in a quarter it's not fair that the woman-up team has to win a draw to take advantage of the card.
2. If there is a violation on the draw and the ball is awarded to a team, the attackers and defenders should have to hold in the box until the whistle is blown to start play. It's not fair that the team given the ball has to get the ball through a ride to the restraining line. They're not allowed to leave the box until possession is gained so why are the attackers allowed to run up and redefend on a violation?
3. If a card is issued on an offensive player(dangerous shot, foul on the redefend, etc) the team going woman-up should get a free clear. In men's lacrosse it's to midfield so in women's it would make sense to give it to them at the restraining line.

All three of those are current rules in men's lacrosse and I believe make total sense and would lead to more scoring.

Thoughts?
I agree with you on all three. My thoughts are the likelihood of being adopted is also in that order.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:06 pm

Thoughts?
I agree with you on all three. My thoughts are the likelihood of being adopted is also in that order.
Love all three rule changes suggested. One more rule that I would like to see is that any foul on the goalie goes against a field player so we don't have any empty net goals on an 8m.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Lindenwood moves to D1 beginning 2022-2023
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Bart wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:03 pm Lindenwood moves to D1 beginning 2022-2023
Wow--nice to see. Which conference do you think will add them?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:28 pm
Bart wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:03 pm Lindenwood moves to D1 beginning 2022-2023
Wow--nice to see. Which conference do you think will add them?
Maybe Big East? That would be ambitions.

ASun or Big South might be more likely
OuttaNowhereWregget

Halves or Quarters?

By now, you've watched a few games with quarters instead of halves. What do you think of the change?
Dr. Tact

Re: Halves or Quarters?

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:37 pm By now, you've watched a few games with quarters instead of halves. What do you think of the change?
I like it alot
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:35 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:37 pm By now, you've watched a few games with quarters instead of halves. What do you think of the change?
I like it alot
Me too.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:51 pm
I like it alot
Me too.
Halves.
OuttaNowhereWregget

seacoaster wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:14 pm
I like it alot
Me too.
Halves.
What do you prefer about halves over quarters?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:35 am
I like it alot
Me too.
Halves.
I know I am probably in the minority on this. The quarter seems to be just another stop in a game already riddled with stoppages. It is a coach's change, and not a change for fans or players. It also feels like another stop on the ineluctable march to making the women's game like the men's game. Which is to say padded, slow, specialized and overcoached.
OuttaNowhereWregget

seacoaster wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:03 am
I like it alot
Me too.
Halves.
I know I am probably in the minority on this. The quarter seems to be just another stop in a game already riddled with stoppages. It is a coach's change, and not a change for fans or players. It also feels like another stop on the ineluctable march to making the women's game like the men's game. Which is to say padded, slow, specialized and overcoached.
Interesting observations. Thanks for weighing in.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Such a smart man with the big words :D

in·e·luc·ta·ble
inəˈləktəb(ə)l
adjective

unable to be resisted or avoided; inescapable.

Seriously, I didnt know that word. Thanks for giving me an easy "learn one thing today" Already done, now I can waste time on the couch watching Lax.

[edit] Sea, you got one more for tomorrow? :lol:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:46 am
Such a smart man with the big words :D

in·e·luc·ta·ble
inəˈləktəb(ə)l
adjective

unable to be resisted or avoided; inescapable.

Seriously, I didnt know that word. Thanks for giving me an easy "learn one thing today" Already done, now I can waste time on the couch watching Lax.

[edit] Sea, you got one more for tomorrow? :lol:
Yeah, I have to get some work done this morning because the rest of the day is TV, couch, lax, food.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:51 am
Yeah, I have to get some work done this morning because the rest of the day is TV, couch, lax, food.
I am working too. One of those, run an animation program for 24 hours, see the results and have to restart it because of one little thing....ugh.
DMac

Post by DMac »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:03 am I know I am probably in the minority on this. The quarter seems to be just another stop in a game already riddled with stoppages. It is a coach's change, and not a change for fans or players. It also feels like another stop on the ineluctable march to making the women's game like the men's game. Which is to say padded, slow, specialized and overcoached.
Menza a menz on the quarters, halves but I sure do like this analysis, i.e. "like the men's game."
I even heard a commentator say quarters makes it more like the men's game. Gotta say I cringed
a little with that comment. Oh, and thanks for the new word.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Not Always a Foregone Conclusion

Every once in a while, one hears an announcer affirm that the team that wins the draws wins the game. (I chuckle when folks dictate into their phone and end up with "drawers"). Anyway, occasionally I'll skim box scores of random games and have found without digging too deep that there are frequent examples of teams losing the draws but winning the game in the end. Here are a few recent instances:

Cornell 14 Villanova 9 — Vil 16-11 draws
Temple 15 STJ 11 — STJ 15-12 draws
Richmond 11 Stanford 10 — Stan 14-10 draws
Vermont 16 BU 10 — BU 17-12 draws

Of course, it's better to win draws. But draws alone don't factor TO's, CTO's, poor shot selection, etc. And they obviously don't guarantee wins. One of the best and most glaring examples of dominating in the draw circle yet losing the game was back in 2020 when Georgetown humiliated JHU 26-4 in the draw circle but lost the game 15-14. You could look it up.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Right up my alley, been saying for many years draws/face off is a highly overrated stat.
What needs to be kept track of is how many times the team that wins the draw scores
on THAT POSSESSION. That's when draws/face offs really matter. Win the draw, GK makes
the save, ball goes the other way, that GK makes a save, ball comes back and you score.
Draw wins 1, goals 1. Stats person will tell you, see, draws wins games. Nope, whole lot
more to it than that. Have seen many, many games where the team that won the draw/
face off battle lost the game.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:28 am Right up my alley, been saying for many years draws/face off is a highly overrated stat.
What needs to be kept track of is how many times the team that wins the draw scores
on THAT POSSESSION. That's when draws/face offs really matter. Win the draw, GK makes
the save, ball goes the other way, that GK makes a save, ball comes back and you score.
Draw wins 1, goals 1. Stats person will tell you, see, draws wins games. Nope, whole lot
more to it than that. Have seen many, many games where the team that won the draw/
face off battle lost the game.
See, now these are useful stats that could be adopted when folks with an analytic bent are looking for something to do.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”