THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

One of the biggest things to screw up Hopkins social life was Goucher going coed.

A visit there used to be like visiting a nunnery.

jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:12 am
OCanada wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:46 am MDLax

It’s the perception it requires greater effort than it does at other indtitutions. At least that is what several first teamers offered as to why they chose an Ivy or ACC school. For them it was not a matter of staying in it was a matter of having to work harder on top of playing
Interesting. It's not at all an accurate perception re the Ivies.

But it is, as to ACC schools.

On the Epstein benching, I don't think a "stern talking to" nor benching is the way to handle most highly competitive players. Any doubt as to whether the player himself doesn't know when he's made a bad play? Series of bad plays? Better to pull him over, calm him down, suggest some positive ways to re-approach the contest, then get him back into the action. Yelling at or punishing a top player rarely motivates their top performance.

Now if you actually have an attitude problem with a player, he shouldn't be on the field in the first place. I doubt that's the case in this instance.
While I tend to agree with you regarding Epstein's benching, we don't know what conversations transpired between coach and player before that. Epstein did throw away two passes, one on extra man, and took a bad shot on extra man that was essentially a turnover, in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Maybe Petro was trying to set an example for the rest of the team that everyone needs to play better, even their best player, or they are going to sit. If that is the case I assume that he thinks that Epstein is mentally tough enough for that type of approach while some of the other guys, who have played far worse, are not. Otherwise I have no idea why at least 3 or 4 other guys haven't gotten pulled at some point this year.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

DST Radio Check.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:58 pm DST Radio Check.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Yeah, I had to go change my user profile to get the correct time stamps on posts.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu93 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:23 pm

It’s the perception it requires greater effort than it does at other indtitutions. At least that is what several first teamers offered as to why they chose an Ivy or ACC school. For them it was not a matter of staying in it was a matter of having to work harder on top of playing

On the Epstein benching, I don't think a "stern talking to" nor benching is the way to handle most highly competitive players. Any doubt as to whether the player himself doesn't know when he's made a bad play? Series of bad plays? Better to pull him over, calm him down, suggest some positive ways to re-approach the contest, then get him back into the action. Yelling at or punishing a top player rarely motivates their top performance.

Now if you actually have an attitude problem with a player, he shouldn't be on the field in the first place. I doubt that's the case in this instance.
While I tend to agree with you regarding Epstein's benching, we don't know what conversations transpired between coach and player before that. Epstein did throw away two passes, one on extra man, and took a bad shot on extra man that was essentially a turnover, in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Maybe Petro was trying to set an example for the rest of the team that everyone needs to play better, even their best player, or they are going to sit. If that is the case I assume that he thinks that Epstein is mentally tough enough for that type of approach while some of the other guys, who have played far worse, are not. Otherwise I have no idea why at least 3 or 4 other guys haven't gotten pulled at some point this year.
I agree; I sure don't know what was said or not.

I was just responding to the other posters.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:05 pm
Drcthru wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:22 pm

Maybe it is an accurate perception of the Ivies. https://ripplematch.com/journal/article ... -4f4b544d/

Ok, good example perhaps of not going to stats class. Or maybe not Applied Stats.

GPA as a measure of how easy it is to 'survive' at a particular college, for a given athlete.
hmmm, what could get missed?

How about taking into account the relative capabilities of one's fellow students in the classes one takes?
Would that matter? yup...

What would some proxies be?
Perhaps SAT/AP levels? # of applicants and acceptance rates?

I think you'd see a pretty sizable difference in the SAT/AP levels in most of those schools at the top of that list and Hopkins, though perhaps less so in some of STEM, though that's not what we see in most of the lax players at any of these schools.

But a lot higher levels for the non-STEM admits. And, it can't really be underestimated how the raw testing scores don't tell the whole story. The Ivies I'm most familiar with, HYP and D, reject a whole class of applicants with scores as high or higher than those they admit. An awful lot of perfect SAT's rejected.

What they're looking for is demonstration of special passions above and beyond; in all sorts of ways.

When my son entered Economics at one of those Ivies, he assumed he was pretty darn well prepared. Strong, motivated student, excellent SAT and AP scores, etc. Academic awards at arguably the toughest prep school in Baltimore. But Econ at that Ivy was full of kids with perfect SAT's, multiple math camp summers, multiple years of higher level calc, and having already taken Econ at their prep schools. Way ahead out of the chute, especially as that Econ Dept is so heavy on math. So, they throw an immense workload at them. And most of these students didn't have a 25+ hr a week athletic commitment year round.

I've been in the Econ classes at Hopkins. No comparison. That doesn't mean that Hopkins classes are a breeze, or that the students aren't smart, but the expectations and workload just aren't the same.

Brown is sort of its own thing, with their very different grading system and no requirements. Kids can create their own majors and if you're trying to skate through, it's indeed possible. Most Brown students, however, are super motivated, so be careful not to think they actually have an easy academic path. But, yeah, if you're not a highly motivated student, it may be easier to survive there.

Cornell has some paths for survival given a broader spectrum of overall students, but is notoriously challenging for those who are serious students. I'd think Penn would be pretty similar to HYPD, though the HYP phenomenon is indeed in it's own sector.
With all due respect ... Nonsense. After trudging my way through an Ivy League medical school, an Ivy League graduate school, and law school at the top public university in America, I can say without any doubt that Hopkins undergrad was the toughest thing I ever finished.

Economics?!? Please ... I once took an advanced physics class (more of a theoretical mathematics class than anything else) with lots of grad students ... got a 5 out of a 100 on a test once. FIVE points out of a HUNDRED. There were five questions and we were able to bring in our textbook and all our notes. Didn’t matter. Might as well have been written in hieroglyphics. I searched my notes and wrote down an equation that I guessed was relevant for each question (apparently accounting for my five points), wrote my name at the top, and handed it in.

How hard was Hopkins? My 5 out of a 100 was a passing grade, because the physics grad students could only pull the average up to 18. God bless curved grading.

Frankly, I don’t understand how Hopkins lacrosse players can get any decent grades while spending so much time on lacrosse. Recruiting for Hopkins lacrosse can’t be easy when so many easier academic options are available.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

As to Ivies: Our daughter we to Yale, my brother in law to Harvard. My niece by marriage to Yale. Me best friend to Harvard. My investment manager for a time to Princeton. Just tonkist a few. Every one of them have said one way or the other the hardest part of the Ivies was the admission. Once there they don’t want to lose you. I can’t say authoritatively one way or the other behind anecdotes but I can say the perception is there with confidence enough to know if there isn’t a fire there is definitely smoke.

I took a Pre Socratic philosophy course that zero students passed on the first cut. They went back and adjusted the scores so some students psssed. Pre Socratic! Democritus etc. how hard can a pick the best answer test be?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:10 pm

Maybe it is an accurate perception of the Ivies. https://ripplematch.com/journal/article ... -4f4b544d/

Ok, good example perhaps of not going to stats class. Or maybe not Applied Stats.

GPA as a measure of how easy it is to 'survive' at a particular college, for a given athlete.

How about taking into account the relative capabilities of one's fellow students in the classes one takes?

I think you'd see a pretty sizable difference in the SAT/AP levels in most of those schools at the top of that list and Hopkins, though perhaps less so in some of STEM, though that's not what we see in most of the lax players at any of these schools.

But a lot higher levels for the non-STEM admits. And, it can't really be underestimated how the raw testing scores don't tell the whole story. The Ivies I'm most familiar with, HYP and D, reject a whole class of applicants with scores as high or higher than those they admit. An awful lot of perfect SAT's rejected.

What they're looking for is demonstration of special passions above and beyond; in all sorts of ways.

When my son entered Economics at one of those Ivies, he assumed he was pretty darn well prepared. Strong, motivated student, excellent SAT and AP scores, etc. Academic awards at arguably the toughest prep school in Baltimore. But Econ at that Ivy was full of kids with perfect SAT's, multiple math camp summers, multiple years of higher level calc, and having already taken Econ at their prep schools. Way ahead out of the chute, especially as that Econ Dept is so heavy on math. So, they throw an immense workload at them. And most of these students didn't have a 25+ hr a week athletic commitment year round.

I've been in the Econ classes at Hopkins. No comparison. That doesn't mean that Hopkins classes are a breeze, or that the students aren't smart, but the expectations and workload just aren't the same.

Brown is sort of its own thing, with their very different grading system and no requirements. Kids can create their own majors and if you're trying to skate through, it's indeed possible. Most Brown students, however, are super motivated, so be careful not to think they actually have an easy academic path. But, yeah, if you're not a highly motivated student, it may be easier to survive there.

Cornell has some paths for survival given a broader spectrum of overall students, but is notoriously challenging for those who are serious students. I'd think Penn would be pretty similar to HYPD, though the HYP phenomenon is indeed in it's own sector.
With all due respect ... Nonsense. After trudging my way through an Ivy League medical school, an Ivy League graduate school, and law school at the top public university in America, I can say without any doubt that Hopkins undergrad was the toughest thing I ever finished.

Economics?!? Please ... I once took an advanced physics class (more of a theoretical mathematics class than anything else) with lots of grad students ... got a 5 out of a 100 on a test once. FIVE points out of a HUNDRED. There were five questions and we were able to bring in our textbook and all our notes. Didn’t matter. Might as well have been written in hieroglyphics. I searched my notes and wrote down an equation that I guessed was relevant for each question (apparently accounting for my five points), wrote my name at the top, and handed it in.

How hard was Hopkins? My 5 out of a 100 was a passing grade, because the physics grad students could only pull the average up to 18. God bless curved grading.

Frankly, I don’t understand how Hopkins lacrosse players can get any decent grades while spending so much time on lacrosse. Recruiting for Hopkins lacrosse can’t be easy when so many easier academic options are available.

DocBarrister 8-)
Physics for Heroes? Where the Prof claimed he was saving lives by keeping idiots out of Med School? To be fair, I doubt any starters were in that class. I am pretty certain there were none there in my era.

When I was an undergrad, I did some tutoring for an All-Everything. While it quickly became clear that Chic had some pull with The Man with the Tan (surely more than Petro has today):
- It was also clear that All-Everythings took real courses (differential Calc, statistics), and, yes, a couple of 'guts', especially in the Spring. There were no majors in Sports Communications or Grievance Studies.
- Even the 'guts' required reading, class participation, assignments, etc. They were not fraudulent courses like the one at UNC. Plus, decades later, I think I got more out of some of my 'guts' than I did out of my harder courses.
- It would have been unthinkable for a tutor to even outline a player's paper, let alone submit work on behalf of the player.
- Another AA was certainly under the impression that he would have found the minimum required easier at a HPY where he had been recruited. This speaks to OCanada's perception point, which I raised as a recruiting issue, probably starting this whole thread, better suited for the off-season. What grade inflation does is it ALLOWS a poorly-motivated student to skate by. That does not mean that the typical student WANTS to skate by; in fact, I believe the opposite. The typical HPY student has unbelievable motivation.
- Many of the non-starters, while not at the level of the D3 athletes, were able to go directly to medical school or to top-10 Law Schools upon graduation. What Chic would do to get the few he really wanted, he would not do for everybody.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

during the lax season, you guys should keep debating and demerit academic superiority and inferiority, rigor... of the ivies and hopkins, and throw in vs. other schools on occasion.
gripping stuff.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:10 pm

DocBarrister 8-)
Doc, I have no doubt your advanced physics class was 'hard', and not just for you!
Very heavy duty. As I said, the STEM stuff is first rate.
When the lax team takes these classes, give us a shout.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:19 pm during the lax season, you guys should keep debating and demerit academic superiority and inferiority, rigor... of the ivies and hopkins, and throw in vs. other schools on occasion.
gripping stuff.
:lol: :lol:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:39 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:19 pm during the lax season, you guys should keep debating and demerit academic superiority and inferiority, rigor... of the ivies and hopkins, and throw in vs. other schools on occasion.
gripping stuff.
HPCWC

(High Page Count Without Cats)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:17 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:39 pm
gripping stuff.
HPCWC

(High Page Count Without Cats)
Just think how high the page count will get when we bring back the cats (yes folks, we hold the cats back until later in the season, like Petro and Dwan hold the “good” defense back until later in the season).

Will get really heated when we compare the Harvard, Yale, and Princeton cats with the Hopkins cats. :shock: :o

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
CU77

Post by CU77 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:10 pmI once took an advanced physics class (more of a theoretical mathematics class than anything else) with lots of grad students ... got a 5 out of a 100 on a test once. ...
How hard was Hopkins? My 5 out of a 100 was a passing grade, because the physics grad students could only pull the average up to 18.
As a teacher of physics myself, I must jump in here to say that this is evidence of either (1) bad exam design, or (2) an inability on the part of the instructor to teach the material. Neither possibility reflects well on Hopkins, I'm sorry to say.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

CU77 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:22 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:10 pmI once took an advanced physics class (more of a theoretical mathematics class than anything else) with lots of grad students ... got a 5 out of a 100 on a test once. ...
How hard was Hopkins? My 5 out of a 100 was a passing grade, because the physics grad students could only pull the average up to 18.
As a teacher of physics myself, I must jump in here to say that this is evidence of either (1) bad exam design, or (2) an inability on the part of the instructor to teach the material. Neither possibility reflects well on Hopkins, I'm sorry to say.
At my time at Hopkins, most Lacrosse players were economic majors...That being said, the curriculum was challanging, but not to the extent of the med students. We were "guided" to the classes that were beneficial to us.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hopkins did not start using curve grading until relatively late. It only switched when some of its best students started to get rejected from grad schools because of grades e-cards other schools were inflating. It became indefensible to remain a C curve kind of school. Schools were being featured on 60 minutes firvrge enervation of their GPAs.

Hopkins is unique in that it is a research oriented university at the undergrad level. It’s premed and natural sciences programs can be brutal. It’s social sciences programs are demanding too. It was not without its warts

My freshmen year I enrolled in two courses taught by faculty from SAIS. At the start of both classes freshmen were advised to think twice because we didn’t have any academic preparation. Most of us stayed. All of us got Cs.

I was accepted by two Ivies, three ACC schools. One Ivy I didn’t apply to. One of my classmates was accepted into Harvard Law without applying. He was a physics major who took the LSAT just for the heck of it. Perfect score. Voila, contact.

Eisenhower regretted never being able to get a law school established. Doubt Michael is reading this bit a nice donation could get it done. The alumni directory is a potent attractor for some if not all the Ivies. I have seen what it can do. At Hopkins it’s useful for you field, and I may be out of contact here, but it doesn’t have the scope of many of the Ivies or schools like Washington and Lee to pick one. I think that is evolving. It’s. fund easing until recently was substandard. I recall asking why Chicago didn’t have an alumni office. It does now. A lot of undergrads from the area. It’s evolving rapidly in recent years., it was not the best school for me imo. I probably should have gone to the Ivy. There was no sense of community when I was there. They are making strides. Oddly enough lax attendance was stronger then. Perhaps because there was nothing else. Gates would open at noon and games started at 2:00. Time to share consumables and form friendships. I recall having the max limit of two brownies. Game over. We couldn’t move. Stayed until about 6:00. The only missing ingredient in the brownies was flour
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

OCanada wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:54 am Hopkins did not start using curve grading until relatively late. It only switched when some of its best students started to get rejected from grad schools because of grades e-cards other schools were inflating. It became indefensible to remain a C curve kind of school. Schools were being featured on 60 minutes firvrge enervation of their GPAs.

Hopkins is unique in that it is a research oriented university at the undergrad level. It’s premed and natural sciences programs can be brutal. It’s social sciences programs are demanding too. It was not without its warts

My freshmen year I enrolled in two courses taught by faculty from SAIS. At the start of both classes freshmen were advised to think twice because we didn’t have any academic preparation. Most of us stayed. All of us got Cs.

I was accepted by two Ivies, three ACC schools. One Ivy I didn’t apply to. One of my classmates was accepted into Harvard Law without applying. He was a physics major who took the LSAT just for the heck of it. Perfect score. Voila, contact.

Eisenhower regretted never being able to get a law school established. Doubt Michael is reading this bit a nice donation could get it done. The alumni directory is a potent attractor for some if not all the Ivies. I have seen what it can do. At Hopkins it’s useful for you field, and I may be out of contact here, but it doesn’t have the scope of many of the Ivies or schools like Washington and Lee to pick one. I think that is evolving. It’s. fund easing until recently was substandard. I recall asking why Chicago didn’t have an alumni office. It does now. A lot of undergrads from the area. It’s evolving rapidly in recent years., it was not the best school for me imo. I probably should have gone to the Ivy. There was no sense of community when I was there. They are making strides. Oddly enough lax attendance was stronger then. Perhaps because there was nothing else. Gates would open at noon and games started at 2:00. Time to share consumables and form friendships. I recall having the max limit of two brownies. Game over. We couldn’t move. Stayed until about 6:00. The only missing ingredient in the brownies was flour
There goes your security clearance.

So, you’re telling us in your formative years of watching lacrosse, you were half-baked? Or fully-baked?

No wonder you have some spelling troubles!
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Regarding the game:
In the 2nd half, our shooting went cold and their goalie was hot - tough combination. We had plenty of opportunities, even against their zone.

Regarding Hopkins academics vs. Ivies:
I'd guess that Hopkins is generally (not necessarily for lax players) a tougher academic experience given that most everyone is a STEM major. Back when I went, it seems that almost everyone (non-laxer) was either science (pre-med) or engineering. Perhaps that has changed over the decades...
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jhu93 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:23 pm

I think Petro made the right moving pulling Epstein. I hope he would be as critical in other situations. He made 2 big freshman mistakes...one of the reason they call them freshman. I don't think it was odd that his replacement scored the go ahead goal. Hopefully, Petro pulled him aside and told him that the he essential to the team, learn from his mistakes and get ready to start next week against UVA. I hope he is strong enough mentally to understand that and that everyone is on the same page.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

gripping stuff.
While dating the same woman for almost 3 years while in College Park, still had daliences with dozens and dozens of other ladies. Talk about superiour schools. Talk about rigor :D
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”