Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:37 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:45 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:12 pm Come on. She's on a Congressional committee, yet she's too lazy to educate herself on the subject matter she raises before the Committee to be able to even read the talking points her staffers write for her.
Sorry mate, I'm not buying your ridiculous proposition. Call me when the leader of the free world understands how trade works. Or that Mexico isn't paying for a wall. Or that no, the nuclear problem in N Korea isn't over. You know: real stuff that affects us directly.

Until then, she has to meet the Trump standard---which both Cortez and my four year old daughter exceed with no trouble whatsoever.

BTW----remember when you and others made fun of us for picking on every word that came out of Trump's mouth? TDS, remember?

This "is different"....how, exactly?

Little D's and R's, as usual....
The diff is, I never had a crush on Trump. Her job is not that hard. All she has to do is read the talking points, ...& be adorable.
She got elected. Got rid of a career Dem....20+ years as a freaking politician. Something we're all supposed to be behind. Vote them all out.

So there's one point for her. She got Amazon to pull out, saving guys like Cradleandshoot Billions. There's two points.

That's two more points than most in Congress, and she's been on the job for two months.

Who's talking points do you think she's using? Amazon was anti-Dem.....the Dem's control NYState, remember?
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:57 pm Look at all the pilots & engineers now piping up to agree with what Trump tweeted about the problems with aircraft cockpit automation,
that all his reflexive, know nothing critics mocked him for. Maybe he talks to the pilots who fly him around & pays attention.
He's done pretty well for such a dumb guy.
Right.

Trump= glass half full, ignore the list of stupid stuff he's said and done

Cortez= glass half empty, ignore the good things she's done

Rinse. Repeat. D's and R's. I don't accept that you're unaware that you do this.

I'm holding Cortez to the Trump standard that you and other posters set over the last two years. You chaps set the rules for politicians post-Trump. Can't complain about the standards that you yourselves set....it's too late.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:27 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:17 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:33 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:48 pm Seriously... Republicans love AOC... she is the Democrats answer to Sarah Palin. The idiotic gift that keeps on giving. The hardest determination between the 2 women is which one butchers the English language more. Like yah know it kinda like yah know I like get confused sorta like yah know I sorta kinda grasp the concept of yah know like what the English language is like all about. Archie Bunker has the perfect term for AOC... dingbat... :lol: Advantage to Palin... no snapping of bubble gum and twirling her hair with her fingers. :P
I don't know how anyone in the Trump camp can criticize anyone for their grasp of the English language when Master Covfefe is bigly confused by all those words and how to put them together. Prez Slippery Tongue is an orator of the fourth grade (giving him the benefit of the doubt there) level, you should find something else to complain about AOC.
Dmac… I made an absurd comparison that got the exact response I knew it would from the usual suspects here. The same people that mocked Sarah Palin for her poor execution of the English language are the same people who defend AOC for her equally poor grasp of proper use of the English language. In neither case should it reflect on the intelligence of the person. I never said AOC was not a very smart person. When my mom worked for the telephone company in the late 60's and early 70's she was responsible for training the new operators coming on board. Many of these women(at the time they were predominately women) were poor black women that had relocated up north from the south. Many of these women could barely be understood because they just could not speak all that well.

My mom spent countless hours working with these women to help them speak clearly and be understood. You could not be a telephone operator and not be understood by the folks on the other end of the phone. One of these women became in charge of HR at the time my mom retired and was one of her closest friends. I did not know any of these women personally. My mom died in 1996. At her funeral many of these women were there to pay their respects. If I have a point to be made here is that these women worked tremendously hard to over come their inability to speak clearly. They only lacked proper education, they were always intelligent people. By comparison, if you are a college graduate and still struggle putting together a cohesive sentence without resorting to valley girl speak... what the hell did you waste your education on?

I am as guilty as anyone. My entire life my vocabulary skills have been crass and indecent. That is because for most of my life my friends and associates have always been equally as crass. In my case, I am perfectly capable of being able to refine my speech and tone down my attitude when I have to. I am not and never will be a highly visible politician. GWB was mocked all through his presidency for his poor public speaking. I understand 100% where AOC is coming from. I pick on her because she speaks exactly like people I know speaks. Eventually AOC will learn to direct how she speaks to the people she is speaking to. Right now, at times she speaks her mind with zero thought about who she is talking to and how her message will come across. I have more problems with AOCs message than I have with her. I do wish she would tone down the lipstick thing, but that is just nitpicking on my part.
It’s a southern dialect genius. People down south don’t understand people from Boston or Brooklyn. They learned to speak correctly the longer they were in Mississippi or Alabama.
I lived in North Carolina for three years. My fellow soldiers were from all over the country. I never once had any trouble understanding any of them. I understand all about the southern dialect. The problem was these women could not communicate over the phone with people clearly enough to be understood. At that time an operator was actually involved in most long distance and collect calls. Here in Upstate NY we also have our own unique dialect. The people I met down south never had any problems understanding me. My mom worked with these women because Rochester Telephone asked her to do so. Rochester Telephone hired them and my mom trained them. AOC is a college graduate. The expectations should be you can relate to people and not sound like a 14 year old valley girl at times. If you all can pick on SP for being the Denali Ditz then I guess it is fair game to pick on AOC as maybe being the Bronx Bimbo. Of course at least one person on this forum would construe that as being a slur... :P
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:03 am
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:12 pm Come on. She's on a Congressional committee, yet she's too lazy to educate herself on the subject matter she raises before the Committee to be able to even read the talking points her staffers write for her.
Sorry mate, I'm not buying your ridiculous proposition. Call me when the leader of the free world understands how trade works. Or that Mexico isn't paying for a wall. Or that no, the nuclear problem in N Korea isn't over. You know: real stuff that affects us directly.

Until then, she has to meet the Trump standard---which both Cortez and my four year old daughter exceed with no trouble whatsoever.

BTW----remember when you and others made fun of us for picking on every word that came out of Trump's mouth? TDS, remember?

The diff is, I never had a crush on Trump. Her job is not that hard. All she has to do is read the talking points, ...& be adorable.
She got elected. Got rid of a career Dem....20+ years as a freaking politician. Something we're all supposed to be behind. Vote them all out.

So there's one point for her. She got Amazon to pull out, saving guys like Cradleandshoot Billions. There's two points.

That's two more points than most in Congress, and she's been on the job for two months.

Who's talking points do you think she's using? Amazon was anti-Dem.....the Dem's control NYState, remember?
Point of order my friend... nobody has saved NYS billions. Andy Cuomo would have sold his left nut to Amazon to come to NYS. I respect AOC for making a stand on principle. With or without Amazon NYS is in big financial trouble. AOC may be the darling of like minded people in our state but she has most certainly made a lot of very serious enemies amongst the big wig leaders of NYS. She made a stand on principle, Andy Cuomo wanted to play lets make a deal and he got his ass handed to him by the rookie. AOC has done nothing and likely will continue do nothing of any real consequence to help turn things around in NYS. NYS leadership is not about fixing anything that is wrong with the state. They are about telling the residents of the state that they need to re-elected to fix all the states problems. ;)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
old salt

Post by old salt »

She got elected... she won a (D) primary, over a pasty old white dude, too lazy to campaign, in a district gerrymandered to give her an opportunity. Trump was elected with 63 million votes, from every state, after defeating 16 opponents in a national primary campaign.
per wiki :
New York's 14th congressional district is a congressional district for the United States House of Representatives located in New York City, represented by Democrat Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

The district includes the eastern part of The Bronx and part of north-central Queens. The Queens portion includes the neighborhoods of Astoria, College Point, Corona, East Elmhurst, Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, and Woodside. The Bronx portion of the district includes the neighborhoods of City Island, Country Club, Van Nest, Morris Park, Parkchester, Pelham Bay, Schuylerville, and Throggs Neck. Roughly half of the population of the district is of Hispanic or Latino heritage, making it one of the more Latino districts in New York. Before redistricting for the 2012 election, much of the area was in New York's 7th congressional district.

From 2003 to 2013, the district encompassed much of what is now New York's 12th congressional district, including Central Park and the East Side of Manhattan; all of Roosevelt Island; and the neighborhoods of Astoria, Long Island City, and Sunnyside in Queens.
...& you want to make her George Washington.

She went to Standing Rock, but still doesn't know the difference between DAPL & Keystone "Exxon".
Thanks to Trump, DAPL is pumping. She's a joke.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

"All she has to do is read the talking points, ...& be adorable."

Nice. Someone has a women-problem.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:44 am "All she has to do is read the talking points, ...& be adorable."

:lol: No. I think someone who refers to their partner as "the wife," has a woman problem.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:30 am

Point of order my friend... nobody has saved NYS billions. Andy Cuomo would have sold his left nut to Amazon to come to NYS. I respect AOC for making a stand on principle. With or without Amazon NYS is in big financial trouble. AOC may be the darling of like minded people in our state but she has most certainly made a lot of very serious enemies amongst the big wig leaders of NYS. She made a stand on principle, Andy Cuomo wanted to play lets make a deal and he got his ass handed to him by the rookie. AOC has done nothing and likely will continue do nothing of any real consequence to help turn things around in NYS. NYS leadership is not about fixing anything that is wrong with the state. They are about telling the residents of the state that they need to re-elected to fix all the states problems. ;)
Ok
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:44 am "All she has to do is read the talking points, ...& be adorable."

Attention : Virtue signal in the air.
I have a unisex moron problem.
Has ACO formally declared gender ?
Beto & Mayor Pete are adorable too, in their own ways.
So are puppies, but they make a mess.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:36 am

Attention : Virtue signal in the air.
I have a unisex moron problem.
Has ACO formally declared gender ?
Beto & Mayor Pete are adorable too, in their own ways.
So are puppies, but they make a mess.
Yup, you just have a moron problem.
Keep reading your talking points and we won't call you "adorable".
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:34 amShe got elected... she won a (D) primary, over a pasty old white dude, too lazy to campaign, in a district gerrymandered to give her an opportunity.
Trump was elected with 63 million votes, from every state, after defeating 16 opponents in a national primary campaign.[/quote]
You're doing it again. Diminish someone with a little D by their name, and then fall all over yourself to prop up someone with a R by their name.
old salt wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:34 amyou want to make her George Washington.
:lol: There it is again. I did no such thing.

I specifically wrote that she did precisely two things that all of us can get behind. And you'd agree if you weren't worried about not getting XMas cards from Republican HQ.

She got rid of a career politician, and she got rid of "tax breaks for me, and not for you" Amazon. The corruption we've been complaining about since day one at the Water Cooler.

I'm thrilled with both. You are, too....but you can't get past her party.

And we wonder why our country is so messed up.

Question "Hey, is this good policy?"

Answer "I can't answer that unless you tell me which party came up with that"
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:23 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:34 amShe got elected... she won a (D) primary, over a pasty old white dude, too lazy to campaign, in a district gerrymandered to give her an opportunity.
Trump was elected with 63 million votes, from every state, after defeating 16 opponents in a national primary campaign.
You're doing it again. Diminish someone with a little D by their name, and then fall all over yourself to prop up someone with a R by their name.
old salt wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:34 amyou want to make her George Washington.

I specifically wrote that she did precisely two things that all of us can get behind. And you'd agree if you weren't worried about not getting XMas cards from Republican HQ.

She got rid of a career politician, and she got rid of "tax breaks for me, and not for you" Amazon. The corruption we've been complaining about since day one at the Water Cooler.

Your tedious (R} vs (D) rap & TDS whataboutism does not make ACO any more rational or knowledgeable.

I'm happy to debate policy. Surprise -- Trump & the (R)'s happen to agree with me on the policies I'm interested in, where I feel there is a significant difference between the 2 parties.

Why are you so intolerant of differing opinions ? If & when ACO does something I agree with, I'll support her.
In the meantime, she's a problem for Nancy & Stenny. It's funny you're so protective of your new puppy, ...she bites.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:56 pm
Trump was elected with 63 million votes, from every state, after defeating 16 opponents in a national primary campaign.

Your tedious (R} vs (D) rap & TDS whataboutism does not make ACO any more rational or knowledgeable.

I'm happy to debate policy. Surprise -- Trump & the (R)'s happen to agree with me on the policies I'm interested in, where I feel there is a significant difference between the 2 parties.

Why are you so intolerant of differing opinions ? If & when ACO does something I agree with, I'll support her.
In the meantime, she's a problem for Nancy & Stenny. It's funny you're so protective of your new puppy, ...she bites.
What's more "funny" is how riled up she gets you...and Fox et al. She apparently scares the heck out of you guys, but, yeah her being a young woman seems to be highly titillating to you old (like me) foagies.

I agree that she's a problem for the moderate wing of the Dems. She's shaking things up, hard.

I agreed with the general proposition that companies like Amazon shouldn't be able to play states against one another for tax breaks, but I thought she did her constituents a disservice in pressing for Amazon out of NY. Principle is fine, but it would take a federal intervention to get rid of that game. Maybe the calculus has a long view perspective on that issue, but I'm not sure how realistic it's going to be to change the rules. States rights sort of issue, probably, even though there's an interstate commerce aspect that could provide cover. Interesting.

She's getting push back on the New Green Deal from a practical perspective, but she's definitely moved the discussion to front and center. IMO, that's not a bad thing, and certainly quite an accomplishment for a lowly rookie Representative.

I was favorably impressed in her brief questioning of Cohen. Very clear and crisp, well researched and moved the questioning forward effectively. Not a lightweight, not a blowhard. Professional.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:17 pm

What's more "funny" is how riled up she gets you...and Fox et al. She apparently scares the heck out of you guys, but, yeah her being a young woman seems to be highly titillating to you old (like me) foagies.

I agree that she's a problem for the moderate wing of the Dems. She's shaking things up, hard.

I agreed with the general proposition that companies like Amazon shouldn't be able to play states against one another for tax breaks, but I thought she did her constituents a disservice in pressing for Amazon out of NY. Principle is fine, but it would take a federal intervention to get rid of that game. Maybe the calculus has a long view perspective on that issue, but I'm not sure how realistic it's going to be to change the rules. States rights sort of issue, probably, even though there's an interstate commerce aspect that could provide cover. Interesting.

She's getting push back on the New Green Deal from a practical perspective, but she's definitely moved the discussion to front and center. IMO, that's not a bad thing, and certainly quite an accomplishment for a lowly rookie Representative.

I was favorably impressed in her brief questioning of Cohen. Very clear and crisp, well researched and moved the questioning forward effectively. Not a lightweight, not a blowhard. Professional.
I'm not riled up. I'm amused & making fun of the fawning over her. She's damaging her party & the interests of the voters she's supposed to represent, but she is an interesting diversion & Exhibit A of the vapid shallowness of her social media brain washed fans.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:56 pm Your tedious (R} vs (D) rap & TDS whataboutism does not make ACO any more rational or knowledgeable.

I'm happy to debate policy.
There's no whataboutism. What there are are standards. And what's funny, obviously, is that YOU set the standard, and now you don't want to apply the standard to OC. Trump says idiotic things on a daily basis. But you don't care, because you like some of his policies.

All I ask is that you apply the same standard to OC, and you can't do that. Why? Because you're stuck on Republicans. So you ignore the dumb cr*p he says, and focus on the good things. All I ask is you do the same for OC....and yet you're calling me out for "whataboutism". This is nonsense. Apply the same standard YOU SET for all of our politicians. And YOU have stated that it's now ok to say stupid things on a daily basis, so long as SOME policies are good.

So here we are, in the bed YOU made. Can't complain about it now.

I've highlighted one single policy of hers: she is one of a handful of people who understands how stupid the Amazon math people used is. She's right. Everyone else is wrong. And I've show why multiple times now.

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:56 pm Surprise -- Trump & the (R)'s happen to agree with me on the policies I'm interested in, where I feel there is a significant difference between the 2 parties.
Real life, enacted policies?

Great. Give me five policy differences that there are significant differences between Federal D's and R's. Actual, enacted policies. Not talking points. Not smoke screens. Actual policies signed into law.
old salt wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:56 pm It's funny you're so protective of your new puppy, ...she bites.
Nope. And you know it. What I'm doing is making fun of your blatant lack of consistency. If your puppy-wuppy Trumpy says something stupid, you give us the "oh, you can't take him literally! and gee, you are all sooooo dumb for criticizing every word he says".

And here you are, two years later, and if Ocascio and her little D does the same thing, it's "oh my god, she doesn't know the name of that pipeline".

It's transparently ridiculous. Just do what Bandito does and tell us "fire: baaaad". There's no point to pretending you are criticizing Ocascio's policies, because she doesn't have any. She's a two month old Congresswoman in with the R's in charge of government. She can't pass gas, let alone policy.

So if you're going to be evenhanded----just ignore her. There's nothing to criticize.
Last edited by a fan on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:23 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:17 pm

I'm not riled up. I'm amused & making fun of the fawning over her. She's damaging her party & the interests of the voters she's supposed to represent, but she is an interesting diversion & Exhibit A of the vapid shallowness of her social media brain washed fans.
Fox is sure 'riled up' and your sexist dismissiveness, yet repeated attention, sure makes it look like she has you spun up too.

Who on here, or actually anywhere, is 'fawning' over her?
Isn't that just a right wing trope? Promulgated primarily on Fox and other right wing media?
They want to pretend that she represents the bulk of the Dem Party when clearly she does not. She's out on the edge.

But, sure, there's a whole lot of energy coming out of the Millenial generation, who are far more liberal and diverse than their parents' generation. When has that not been the case for young voters? What older generation didn't think the younger were 'vapid, brain washed'?

I know a bunch of Millenials and have discussed policy with them, at times at length, usually as just one of maybe two or three older participants along with a half dozen or so Millenials. The only ones I felt were somewhat 'brain washed' (not "vapid") were the sorority sisters of Tucker Carlson's daughter when at UVA. They were loyal to their friend (to their credit) and felt that Tucker was just putting on an act at Fox, doesn't actually believe the stuff he spews. I tried (gently) to point out that it requires questionable integrity to do so, if true. But they felt it was all performance, like an actor playing a part...I didn't push the point, as they cared about their pal. But when discussing various policy issues, across the board, the discussions were thoughtful, and generally pretty well-informed (though not always; it was refreshing though that when they weren't well-informed they had no issue with saying so). Serious about their own aspirations. But much, much more progressive socially. To the point of almost taking for granted much of the progress that has been so hard earned over the last decades. They are affronted much more easily by various bigotry and impatient to confront it. I think those of us who've seen a larger sweep of history tend to be more patient, given how far we've moved in various ways. The younger see the remaining gaps more starkly.

Now, the young folks I get exposed to do tend to be well educated, whether ACC or Ivy or Hopkins, or NESCAC or W&L or Navy or Sewanee or Tulane or BU and other colleges. I don't get exposed to many nitwits, though of course they're out there too.

I'm impressed at the professionalism of many of these freshmen Representatives. They appear to be quite serious about actually being prepared for Committee hearings, less focused on immediately raising $ for the next election. But they're still rookies and will stumble here and there. But they're pushing hard, working hard. Good on them.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:23 pm She's damaging her party & the interests of the voters she's supposed to represent
Odd. They said the exact same thing about Trump. In fact, they STILL say that about Trump.

Hmmm. It's almost as if we're dealing with the same thing, found in two different political parties here.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:55 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:59 am Chelsea Clinton harassed by Bernie shirt wearers for “inciting islamaphobic mob” and stoking the hatred behind New Zealand shootings.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/16/nyu-stude ... shootings/
More hatred. That will surely fix everything. Because of course Chelsea Clinton is to blame for something that happened halfway around the world.

I mean: obviously.
this was so stupid even Trump Jr. came to Chelsea's defense.....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

a fan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:20 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:23 pm She's damaging her party & the interests of the voters she's supposed to represent
Odd. They said the exact same thing about Trump. In fact, they STILL say that about Trump.

Hmmm. It's almost as if we're dealing with the same thing, found in two different political parties here.
preach it afan!
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:20 pm

Examples like this is why the guys words are meaningless. In the old days, he could edit the board. A fraud.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “POLITICS”