Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:03 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:39 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:59 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:23 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:29 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:17 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:05 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:28 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:55 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:48 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:37 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:29 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:24 pm Maybe we should have just used some C4 and blown up the sculpture in question???? That is what the Thallllybhan would do and did. :roll:
I'm ok with that for Stone Mountain, though doubt it would be so crude.
Stone Mountain ain't a UNESCO World Heritage site and will never be one.
It's a monument to slavery, white supremacy, and sedition.
I guess for some that's a "religion"...

But Salty's free to explain his intent. We merely asked...
I'm guessing you didn't read my link to the Dentzel Carousel at Charlotte Beach? Read it and get back to me. The carousel has been designated as a historical national landmark. Sooooo you have no problem with removing that panel until your vision of " proper context" is defined? Even if it took a 110 years for anybody to notice it.
Yeah, I don't know hardly anything about your Carousel or the issue at hand, but I'd wager that this wasn't just "noticed" now...I'd wager it was noticed aplenty but no one thought it worthy to listen, and paling in comparison to other 'symbols' offensiveness so didn't draw much attention when there were much worse 'symbols' to focus on...believe me, Aunt Jemima wasn't first noticed to be offensive in the wake of George Floyd, it just wasn't being listened to by the white majority. That's what's really changed, more white folks willing to listen and consider taking action. Eyes more open, hearts more open.

I'd have to know more about the particular issue of the Carousel, options to address...my first instinct is usually to think about ways that things can be preserved for further education, not destroyed. Not always worth preserving, though, and certainly not always worth presenting in a place of honor.

Doesn't sound like that's what going on with this panel, so perhaps some signage that actually draws attention and delivers real educational value would suffice. If not, then removal of the single panel could well be appropriate...but there are indeed hoops to go through if designated as an historical landmark. So, I'd look first to addressing it through an educational exhibit and signage.
Read the damn link and educate yourself. YES it took that long before someone noticed that one panel. So your back to your same dumb ass original point... Just provide some historical perspective and context and everything will be just fine. :roll:
I clicked through all your links, cradle, I don't see anything confirming that no one noticed the offensiveness of this panel until just now. Perhaps I missed something, so feel free to re-link and point it out where they know that to be the case...the only thing I see is a guy named Brandon Fagan saying he'd visited there many times and hadn't noticed it...he goes on to say he doesn't see anything racist about it...ok Brandon Fagan doesn't get it.

But then we see a link TLD provided from 2015...that's pre-BLM and all the heightened interest in such symbols that goes into great detail as to why the panel is so offensive...as I said, I'd "wager" that just now isn't the first time someone noticed and was offended (won that wager)...indeed, I'd be willing to bet that it was noticed many, many times over many decades...but voicing that offense had costs.
Maybe somebody did notice it MD. The chit never hit the fan publicly until recently. I said before, I rode this carousel when I was young. The typical warm summer day was ride the bus to Charlotte Beach ( pronounced Shalott Beach by us locals) you grab an ice cream cone from Abbotts, chocolate custard thank you, then head to the 🎠 we were looking to ride the carousel, we were not looking for racist panels. I did the same damn thing with my sons MD. I never paid attention to this artwork. If any person ever complained about this panel before it never made the news. Rochester is about as liberal a city as you will find. This is not the kind of issue that gets swept under the rug. I admit when the pictures of this artwork hit the news, I was just as stunned as anybody. They could not be more inappropriate. In 1980 this carousel was granted status as an historical national landmark. IMO when you look at this marvelous carousel and the beautiful hand carved horses, that is all you notice. The question now was what to do with this panel? You could not destroy it. IMO there is no historical context that can properly explain it 110 years down the road.

FTR, the panel was removed and put into storage somewhere. IMO the panel should have been kept at the carousel in another location with a plaque describing its history at the carousel and informing visitors to its racist history and why it was removed. I'm certainly not trying to defend the picture. I will say that to my knowledge for many decades nobody noticed it.
You leaving a Swastika up there and two kids in striped pajamas, wise one?
About as idiotic an analogy to be made. You ever take your kid for a ride on a merry go round? The kids are more excited about what animal they want to ride.
You didn’t answer the question. You a kid?
Why answer an idiot question put forth by a moron?
Because you are an adult that should know better and not a child…maybe?
I have not the slightest idea what your talking about. I just figured you were busting my balls as you tend to from time to time. Maybe you can explain to my feeble old mind what your point was? You lost me with Nazi swastikas and striped pajamas. That is when I stopped taking you seriously.
It’s a simple question. If a panel had those images (swastika and kids in stripped pajamas) do you believe it should stay in place or is a pickaninny with a sambo peeking around the corner with a chicken in front of them different? If so, in what way?
Your making a nonsensical analogy. To my knowledge there were no swastikas or striped clothes or for that matter there were no Nazis in 1907 when the carousel was installed. 99.9999% of everybody taking their kids there were only focused on one thing watching your kid ride his or her favorite animal. When the picture became common knowledge because of the internet and cell phones with cameras there was a mad scramble by local leaders to do something about it. They started for a period of time by keeping the panel covered by a tarp. Since this carousel is a registered historical national land mark simply taking the panel down was not an option. They had to go through all the proper channels to make that happen. This historical status happened in 1980, how this panel was missed at that time is a fair and logical question. I remember when I was a kid there were houses all over that had those brightly painted cement lawn jockeys in their front yards. Most of them had black faces not painted in a flattering way holding those lanterns. I know you don't see them anymore.. ever. I remember there use to be a chain restaurant locally called " Sambos" Folks ate their bacon and eggs there for years clueless to the racist background behind that name. Americans not being aware of the subliminal racism that existed in the world around them was tolerated and accepted for decades. Why, I have no idea.
... Sambo's was a well known chain. People were totally aware of what the name referenced. Oddly enough the well known reference was not the origin of the chain name, it was a concatenation of the owners' names. https://www.bing.com/search?q=sambo%27s ... B1&PC=LCTS
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“ ... Sambo's was a well known chain. People were totally aware of what the name referenced. Oddly enough the well known reference was not the origin of the chain name, it was a concatenation of the owners' names. https://www.bing.com/search?q=sambo%27s ... B1&PC=LCTS”

I never realized that about the name. The restaurant decor didn’t help.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

They state they leaned into the reference early on.

1,100 locations is a large operation in that space. Of course it was in Bk, closed and rebranded 40yrs ago….
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BTW…Bing?

What, you think MSFT isn’t also tracking your movements like Alphabet/Google 72?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For anyone interested - Atlanta History Center

Celebrating Black History Month

From civil war and civil rights to activism and achievements, we invite you to join us in honoring Black History Month this February. Hear from Imani Perry about the soul of this nation, unlock hearty and heritage-based health benefits with Charity Morgan, and learn about “Civil Rights Queen” Constance Baker Motley from Tomiko Brown-Nagin. In addition to our Author Talk lineup, visit our website to discover more undertold stories of freedom and triumph, explore Black Citizenship in the Age of Jim Crow, and revisit our 2022 Martin Luther King Jr. Day program—online, all in one place.

View of an unidentified individual roller skating at the Midtown Neighborhood Festival | VIS 101.483.005
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:47 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:24 pm Maybe we should have just used some C4 and blown up the sculpture in question???? That is what the Thallllybhan would do and did. :roll:

I'm guessing you didn't read my link to the Dentzel Carousel at Charlotte Beach? Read it and get back to me. The carousel has been designated as a historical national landmark. Sooooo you have no problem with removing that panel until your vision of " proper context" is defined? Even if it took a 110 years for anybody to notice it.
Yeah, I don't know hardly anything about your Carousel or the issue at hand, but I'd wager that this wasn't just "noticed" now...I'd wager it was noticed aplenty but no one thought it worthy to listen, and paling in comparison to other 'symbols' offensiveness so didn't draw much attention when there were much worse 'symbols' to focus on...believe me, Aunt Jemima wasn't first noticed to be offensive in the wake of George Floyd, it just wasn't being listened to by the white majority. That's what's really changed, more white folks willing to listen and consider taking action. Eyes more open, hearts more open.

I'd have to know more about the particular issue of the Carousel, options to address...my first instinct is usually to think about ways that things can be preserved for further education, not destroyed. Not always worth preserving, though, and certainly not always worth presenting in a place of honor.

Doesn't sound like that's what going on with this panel, so perhaps some signage that actually draws attention and delivers real educational value would suffice. If not, then removal of the single panel could well be appropriate...but there are indeed hoops to go through if designated as an historical landmark. So, I'd look first to addressing it through an educational exhibit and signage.
Read the damn link and educate yourself. YES it took that long before someone noticed that one panel. So your back to your same dumb ass original point... Just provide some historical perspective and context and everything will be just fine. :roll:
I clicked through all your links, cradle, I don't see anything confirming that no one noticed the offensiveness of this panel until just now. Perhaps I missed something, so feel free to re-link and point it out where they know that to be the case...the only thing I see is a guy named Brandon Fagan saying he'd visited there many times and hadn't noticed it...he goes on to say he doesn't see anything racist about it...ok Brandon Fagan doesn't get it.

But then we see a link TLD provided from 2015...that's pre-BLM and all the heightened interest in such symbols that goes into great detail as to why the panel is so offensive...as I said, I'd "wager" that just now isn't the first time someone noticed and was offended (won that wager)...indeed, I'd be willing to bet that it was noticed many, many times over many decades...but voicing that offense had costs.
Maybe somebody did notice it MD. The chit never hit the fan publicly until recently. I said before, I rode this carousel when I was young. The typical warm summer day was ride the bus to Charlotte Beach ( pronounced Shalott Beach by us locals) you grab an ice cream cone from Abbotts, chocolate custard thank you, then head to the 🎠 we were looking to ride the carousel, we were not looking for racist panels. I did the same damn thing with my sons MD. I never paid attention to this artwork. If any person ever complained about this panel before it never made the news. Rochester is about as liberal a city as you will find. This is not the kind of issue that gets swept under the rug. I admit when the pictures of this artwork hit the news, I was just as stunned as anybody. They could not be more inappropriate. In 1980 this carousel was granted status as an historical national landmark. IMO when you look at this marvelous carousel and the beautiful hand carved horses, that is all you notice. The question now was what to do with this panel? You could not destroy it. IMO there is no historical context that can properly explain it 110 years down the road.

FTR, the panel was removed and put into storage somewhere. IMO the panel should have been kept at the carousel in another location with a plaque describing its history at the carousel and informing visitors to its racist history and why it was removed. I'm certainly not trying to defend the picture. I will say that to my knowledge for many decades nobody noticed it.
About as idiotic an analogy to be made. You ever take your kid for a ride on a merry go round? The kids are more excited about what animal they want to ride.
I have not the slightest idea what your talking about. I just figured you were busting my balls as you tend to from time to time. Maybe you can explain to my feeble old mind what your point was? You lost me with Nazi swastikas and striped pajamas. That is when I stopped taking you seriously.
It’s a simple question. If a panel had those images (swastika and kids in stripped pajamas) do you believe it should stay in place or is a pickaninny with a sambo peeking around the corner with a chicken in front of them different? If so, in what way?
Your making a nonsensical analogy. To my knowledge there were no swastikas or striped clothes or for that matter there were no Nazis in 1907 when the carousel was installed. 99.9999% of everybody taking their kids there were only focused on one thing watching your kid ride his or her favorite animal. When the picture became common knowledge because of the internet and cell phones with cameras there was a mad scramble by local leaders to do something about it. They started for a period of time by keeping the panel covered by a tarp. Since this carousel is a registered historical national land mark simply taking the panel down was not an option. They had to go through all the proper channels to make that happen. This historical status happened in 1980, how this panel was missed at that time is a fair and logical question. I remember when I was a kid there were houses all over that had those brightly painted cement lawn jockeys in their front yards. Most of them had black faces not painted in a flattering way holding those lanterns. I know you don't see them anymore.. ever. I remember there use to be a chain restaurant locally called " Sambos" Folks ate their bacon and eggs there for years clueless to the racist background behind that name. Americans not being aware of the subliminal racism that existed in the world around them was tolerated and accepted for decades. Why, I have no idea.
... Sambo's was a well known chain. People were totally aware of what the name referenced. Oddly enough the well known reference was not the origin of the chain name, it was a concatenation of the owners' names. https://www.bing.com/search?q=sambo%27s ... B1&PC=LCTS
Concocting the owners names into Sambos may be the ultimate fail of all times. There was one here in Rochester many years ago. Way back then it was a controversial establishment. It morphed into a dennys somewhere in the mid 70s.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:22 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:47 am

Concocting the owners names into Sambos may be the ultimate fail of all times. There was one here in Rochester many years ago. Way back then it was a controversial establishment. It morphed into a dennys somewhere in the mid 70s.
https://worldwideinterweb.com/unfortuna ... ames-ever/
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:26 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:11 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:22 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:35 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:25 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:09 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:05 pm

https://www.rochestersubway.com/topics/ ... -ridicule/

I am with you Cradle…. I don’t know why anyone would be offended….if anything, that chicken should be scared😂😂

Damn gangbangers are getting into cockfighting now?!?!
Who in Rochester protecting that kid from that Rooster??!! Where is BLM/Antifa?
It’s the mayors fault.
I never said I wasn't offended. What I said was I never paid much attention to the artwork on all of the panels. The carousel has been in the same location for over 110 years. It was designated an historical national landmark in 1980. Maybe enjoying a chocolate custard from Abbotts and a walk on the pier was enough if a distraction for any child or adult.
What happened to SeaBreeze and Roseland?
Roseland is long gone. Seabreeze Park is still a huge summer destination. Seabreeze had its own century old carousel destroyed in a fire in 1994. It is amazing to me that seabreeze park survived Covid. they were closed all of 2020 and their season only runs from May to September.
https://www.democratandchronicle.com/st ... k/8173161/
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:32 pm

I am with you Cradle…. I don’t know why anyone would be offended….if anything, that chicken should be scared😂😂

It’s the mayors fault.
I never said I wasn't offended. What I said was I never paid much attention to the artwork on all of the panels. The carousel has been in the same location for over 110 years. It was designated an historical national landmark in 1980. Maybe enjoying a chocolate custard from Abbotts and a walk on the pier was enough if a distraction for any child or adult.
Roseland is long gone. Seabreeze Park is still a huge summer destination. Seabreeze had its own century old carousel destroyed in a fire in 1994. It is amazing to me that seabreeze park survived Covid. they were closed all of 2020 and their season only runs from May to September.

The Roseland Water Park is still there, isn't it?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Carroll81 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:43 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:32 pm

It’s the mayors fault.

The Roseland Water Park is still there, isn't it?
Not sure I’ve only been in the region 2-3 times in the last half
Dozen years or so usually just straight to HWS campus. But I distinctly recall riding skyline the very last night it was open. A cool nice memory. They had already shut down the carousel a little earlier in the evening and had already auctioned off many of the horses prior to closing to Binghamton and Syracuse cities.

Used to be a bowling alley nearby as well I bowled in some competitive stuff as a little kid I recall (went all over the region, lame but funny now, was youth Funtime bowl king of the hill for an entire tv season when I was 9 and picked up a small college scholarship like $1,000 out of it running around to the lilac or wherever they held the wild Irish rose, etc).
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Good history. Hope the CRT police don’t show up.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:56 am BTW…Bing?

What, you think MSFT isn’t also tracking your movements like Alphabet/Google 72?
... no. by accident.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kidding but bing does suck.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:27 am Kidding but bing does suck.
They all suck. But since nothing is free, we need to be realistic and understand that our “datatrail” is the commodity.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Another d-bag swamp beast rises from the swamp.

“ An incoming Georgetown Law professor prompted outrage with a tweet that predicting President Joe Biden would nominate a "lesser Black woman" instead of a better-qualified man to join the Supreme Court.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/georget ... 2022-1?amp
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:49 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:27 am Kidding but bing does suck.
They all suck. But since nothing is free, we need to be realistic and understand that our “datatrail” is the commodity.
Yet another reason folks should lead “non linear” lives. Don’t give the altos anything to work with.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:00 am Another d-bag swamp beast rises from the swamp.

“ An incoming Georgetown Law professor prompted outrage with a tweet that predicting President Joe Biden would nominate a "lesser Black woman" instead of a better-qualified man to join the Supreme Court.”

The law head shouldn’t be shocked when he hires someone from the Cato institute. And having diversity of thought is fine. If anything he should check his judgement in hiring a person who would write something they’d feel the need to delete quickly and apologize for.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:04 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:00 am Another d-bag swamp beast rises from the swamp.

The law head shouldn’t be shocked when he hires someone from the Cato institute. And having diversity of thought is fine. If anything he should check his judgement in hiring a person who would write something they’d feel the need to delete quickly and apologize for.
Teaching constitutional law? Great. Wonder what returns that investment will yield?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:15 am

Teaching constitutional law? Great. Wonder what returns that investment will yield?
Great school but you may want to look at the number of bureaucrat and appointed folks under the prior administration you’d shake your head at who went to GTown law center.

Suppose it’s a little different at the graduate level and all walls have broken down in the social media era but I never understood why higher ed professionals were so free to interject their politics int whir work compared with most of the employed universe in this country where until the last 5-10yrs it wasn’t really discussed at work as much.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:15 am

Wouldn't be surprised if the employment offer is withdrawn. Dean's comments are pretty straightforward.

Return to “POLITICS”