Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
reLAX

Re: Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse

Post by reLAX »

Laxjunkie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:11 pm
sguy9 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:31 am Good win for the Big Green on the road in lousy conditions vs a team they "should" beat. I liked seeing the scoring spread out a bit on Saturday. Turnovers don't bother me if they are done while trying to execute, the issue is unforced turnovers, improve in that category and you have something to build on.

Next couple of games are big momentum games heading into Ivy play. Can they welcome Harvard to the Upper Valley with a winning record?

Looking forward to seeing the Big Green live for the first time tomorrow. I'll be at Salt Hill pregaming.
Hopefully the clunker of a game didn't cause any regurg on the pregaming. I was not there but from what I've heard, an awful game for the Big Green. So much work to do. Really disheartening actually.
I haven’t seen much difference in the last 5 years.
Laxing97

Post by Laxing97 »

After four games , here is a quote from the head coach after last nights game.

" The biggest things we have to clean up are our stick work and the details to our game. I am looking forward to having an exam break to get back to the basics and get better"

It took the coach almost 4 years and 4 games to figure it out on his own.

For the record I have the upmost respect for the university, I truly feel bad for the players who have been affected by this coach and I hope the program can become a force in the Ivy League. Any one who has followed this tread knows I have never made any comments about the school, any player or the program. I have received nasty PM's from die hard people on this thread for speaking the truth and predicting 5 years with this coach would bring the program backwards. Lets see how they spin this loss
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Laxing97 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:41 am After four games , here is a quote from the head coach after last nights game.

" The biggest things we have to clean up are our stick work and the details to our game. I am looking forward to having an exam break to get back to the basics and get better"

It took the coach almost 4 years and 4 games to figure it out on his own.

For the record I have the upmost respect for the university, I truly feel bad for the players who have been affected by this coach and I hope the program can become a force in the Ivy League. Any one who has followed this tread knows I have never made any comments about the school, any player or the program. I have received nasty PM's from die hard people on this thread for speaking the truth and predicting 5 years with this coach would bring the program backwards. Lets see how they spin this loss
Your vitriol toward the coach is well noted. And we are confident that you will reappear after every loss to pile on.

Pretty tough to 'spin' that loss. That's one we need to win, every year.

TO's were actually even, both teams miserable. Clearing rough again.

Tender would have needed another crazy strong performance and that didn't happen this time.

But here's where the game was lost: GB's and FO's. 26-40 on GB's and 8-17 on FO's.
That resulted in 7 more total shots and 7 more on cage.

Out hustled?

The only thing we appeared to have done well on was man down defense, our opponent going 0 for 5 opportunities.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

I thought settled D and Man Down were both good. Transition was the weak spot yesterday. Goalie played average.

Shooting was miserable. Overall stick skills were not present. In their defense, it was really cold so I am not sure how they could even hold a stick. But the Riverhawks seemed to figure it out, especially in the 2nd half.
OldBay

Post by OldBay »

PP, I am not sure we were watching the same game. The defense vs. UML was pathetic and at times resembled middle school rec league play. The win against Wagner was a mirage – the Seahawks lack playmakers.

I don’t blame the players – these coaches do not have a clue and do not put the players in a position to succeed. If we have a slide package, spring break would be a good time to install it.

DC should beat Binghamton, and perhaps Hartford, but I don’t see any other W’s on the schedule after Tuesday’s performance. Cornell, Brown, and Princeton are all capable of putting up 20+ on DC if the defense is not fixed. Penn, even at 0-3, lost to 2 top 10 teams by a goal.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

sguy9 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:43 am Dartmouth does not have the horses to run and gun. BUT, they can take advantage of more unsettled situations. They have to find more ways to score than 6 vs 6. Wagner is a game DC needs, if not this weekend then when will they find w's?
Don't agree with this.....at all.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

OldBay wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:42 pm PP, I am not sure we were watching the same game. The defense vs. UML was pathetic and at times resembled middle school rec league play. The win against Wagner was a mirage – the Seahawks lack playmakers.

I don’t blame the players – these coaches do not have a clue and do not put the players in a position to succeed. If we have a slide package, spring break would be a good time to install it.

DC should beat Binghamton, and perhaps Hartford, but I don’t see any other W’s on the schedule after Tuesday’s performance. Cornell, Brown, and Princeton are all capable of putting up 20+ on DC if the defense is not fixed. Penn, even at 0-3, lost to 2 top 10 teams by a goal.
Hmmm... has anyone seen Laxing97 and OldBay in the same room at the same time? To me, the only thing that is "pathetic" is the very personal animosity these posts express about the DC coaches! Let it go...
Laxing97

Post by Laxing97 »

Atticus,
After 5 losing years why would a recruit want to play here. Any recruit with multiple offers will not pick Dc. I have friends kids on this team and on the woman’s team. The joke up there is the womans team would win heads up.
Explain to us pathetic people how anybody, alumni included can say this program is moving in the right direction. The head couch is looking forward after 4 games to improve stick work. This should be addressed in fall ball.

Binghamton is a scrappy team who are fast and are good in transition. This is not a easy W. No player wants to go to a program and lose no matter how good the school is.

Give me 5 things that this coach has done to make the program better and I will eat my words
check sticks

Post by check sticks »

The sad reality, page 2 >
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men ... eam/559/p2
Can you really coach stick skills at this level? Aren't these inherent skills already learned through self determination to improve?
Dartmouth cannot value possessions. Turnovers are simply the inherent DNA of this team.

Add to it another page 2 embarrassment >
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men ... eam/563/p2
They simply cannot shoot the ball on cage, and score. Period.

2 weeks to finish the academic Winter term. Watch some game film vs UML to throw salt on their wounds.
Try to imagine a path to a 3 win season. Looking like a stretch.

GBG
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Wish I felt the same..... After 3 games I have yet to see the horses to run & gun. I am not saying that is necessary to compete, but at times the Green could push a bit more. If you are correct in saying Dartmouth has horses to run, well lets see them! Are they saving themselves for Ivy play, are the coaches keeping them down, did they forget how to run? Please, I am a fan of the Big Green and want to see it. But if it continues in this way, happy hour at Mollys will turn into a bender.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Laxing97 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:32 pm Atticus,
After 5 losing years why would a recruit want to play here. Any recruit with multiple offers will not pick Dc. I have friends kids on this team and on the woman’s team. The joke up there is the womans team would win heads up.
Explain to us pathetic people how anybody, alumni included can say this program is moving in the right direction. The head couch is looking forward after 4 games to improve stick work. This should be addressed in fall ball.

Binghamton is a scrappy team who are fast and are good in transition. This is not a easy W. No player wants to go to a program and lose no matter how good the school is.

Give me 5 things that this coach has done to make the program better and I will eat my words
Your premise that it's difficult to recruit top players to a program that hasn't had a winning season in 5 years is a fair one, IMO.

However, note that our last winning season was 2006, the last breakeven season was 2008. The program went way way down in the ensuing years.

That's indeed what the current staff faces when recruiting ball players with, as you say "multiple offers". Prior to their management, and now with their management.

But let me ask you a couple of questions, given that you say you have some insight as you "have friends kids" on the current team.

Did those kids, current players, have "multiple offers" or did they land at Dartmouth because no one else wanted them?? I think I know the answer to that, but here are the implications:

Either,

1) They weren't wanted by anyone else and that explains why they can't hit the broad side of a barn and have so many unforced turnovers; or

2) They actually had other attractive offers and chose Dartmouth nevertheless...and, thus, they have the talent to win games, but according to you guys they aren't being 'put in a position to win'.

Let's assume #2 is the case for sake of argument. Are you saying the wrong guys are on the field? Or they have the wrong schemes? Are there guys riding the pine who can hit the goal and who can pass a catch or pick up FO's, who aren't getting to play?

I don't know why you call yourself, "pathetic people", but your gripe with the current head coach seems way over the top personal. That indeed is 'pathetic'.

I can quite agree that the status quo is certainly not acceptable but this constant personal attack is beyond the pale.

On what has the head coach done positively, my fundamental answer remains that the program is no longer an off the field embarrassment on campus. The Administration no longer assumes that the recruits being presented for Admission are likely to have off-field behavioral problems at a higher rate than any other sports team at Dartmouth.

Likewise, recruits to Dartmouth who don't want to be part of a dysfunctional off-field culture can now be attracted; but I quite agree that they need to buy into the notion that winning is not far around the corner.

From what I'm told, the Admissions dept has new leadership, impacting Dartmouth's admissions overall very favorably. Apparently, much greater emphasis is being placed on identifying the applicants most likely to choose and thrive at Dartmouth for the reasons those of us who love the place feel it's so special. We went through over a decade of Dartmouth selling itself as just another Ivy, rather than focusing on our unique attributes. When my own son took his college tour in Hanover in 2010, it was an embarrassment to his mother and me, both Dartmouth alums. Frankly, we couldn't believe how badly they pitched Dartmouth. We hear that's radically changed for the better.

On the women's side, I'm a big fan of that program, have followed it pretty closely given the Friends relationship between the teams. They enjoy an excellent long term legacy of success and, IMO, hired a rockstar head coach.

The new indoor facility will be very beneficial to both teams.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

sguy9 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:20 am
Wish I felt the same..... After 3 games I have yet to see the horses to run & gun. I am not saying that is necessary to compete, but at times the Green could push a bit more. If you are correct in saying Dartmouth has horses to run, well lets see them! Are they saving themselves for Ivy play, are the coaches keeping them down, did they forget how to run? Please, I am a fan of the Big Green and want to see it. But if it continues in this way, happy hour at Mollys will turn into a bender.
Coaching.....only goes so near. UVM....who are they doing with a change?

If you're going to lose, might as well have fun doing it.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

...Lots of DC trolls, making poor attempts to disguise themselves as “concerned” fans.
If you were a true fan, you would know, DC student athletes need no “pity”...
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Go Big Green ! Where were u on laxpower ?
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

The Big Green has only two realistic chances left in 2019 for a W. My guess, they go 1-1 on those. Poor coaching and poor recruiting. Could be so much more. But, the guys are getting a great education. That's the most important thing.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

...easy to pick on a team, by looking at record-
Real DC followers may appreciate some perspective:

* one of the youngest team in D1 Lacrosse - 80% Of Starting line up are Freshmen and Sophomores
* Injury bug biting hard - Entire returning Starting D (including All Ivy Senior) plus 2 veteran middy’s
* FO sub 40% past two years - provides no cover the inexperience related mistakes

As long as they continue to play with Heart and Pride... that is all, fans can reasonably expect, for now.
Laxing97

Post by Laxing97 »

Woman’s coach is a rock star. I think within 5 years could be sooner she will compete for an Ivy championship. Truth be had Dartmouth handled the men’s coaching terrible. They fired head coach very late and they made many offers to coaches, but could not secure the coach with the experience neaded at an Ivy League program they settled for a coach who had to recruit to a program with IA requirements and a balanced Ivy League conference. Dartmouth needs an experienced Ivy coach and it may not come cheap but if it ends with another 2 win season opinions if coach should be back
check sticks

Post by check sticks »

Ghost wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:58 pm ...easy to pick on a team, by looking at record-
Real DC followers may appreciate some perspective:

* one of the youngest team in D1 Lacrosse - 80% Of Starting line up are Freshmen and Sophomores
* Injury bug biting hard - Entire returning Starting D (including All Ivy Senior) plus 2 veteran middy’s
* FO sub 40% past two years - provides no cover the inexperience related mistakes

As long as they continue to play with Heart and Pride... that is all, fans can reasonably expect, for now.
*What's happening in Hanover is more like a perpetual shorebreak crashing down on the program. Cannot even compete in deeper D1 waters as you just don't have the roster depth to battle.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

For real for real Dartmouth dug their own graves after doing Towers so dirty. People in Fairfield County remember these things. There were also two incidents where it seemed like DC did players from the hood dirty. These are supposed to be your pipeline schools. They made some mistakes.

I love seeing Ivies get curbstomped by dudes who are gonna work as baggage handlers at Logan Airport. I can’t wait for the next humiliation of Dartmouth!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Ghost wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:01 pm ...Lots of DC trolls, making poor attempts to disguise themselves as “concerned” fans.
If you were a true fan, you would know, DC student athletes need no “pity”...
Indeed, some real knucklehead trolls.

I quite agree re Heart and Pride, and no 'pity'.

Geez, "people in Fairfield County" don't like how Towers was treated...wow, big deal, even if true. :roll:

And, huh, "baggage handlers"? What kind of dirtbag talks that way about kids, any kids, much less young men going to college, playing ball, pulling up their pants the same way as the rest of us?

Heck of a start for post #1.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”