Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

faircornell wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:14 pm MD: FWIW, I thought that your statistical breakdown was excellent. Since few of us can watch all of the games, it was a balanced and objective overview that was appreciated. BU is a new, but strong program. Early season, they might have bested any Ivy.
Agreed; they've been doing very well. Excellent program, built quickly, especially with those first recruiting classes. First class goalie, one of the top FOGO's in D1, and several excellent offensive players, and a bunch of grinders on GB's. That momentum has carried forward.

Strangely enough, some of the stats in the box score appear to have been updated.
Not sure how that happens, but the FO spread appears not to have been as bad as I had reported above, though it clearly was a big factor in that brutal 1st Q, as BU won 6 out of the first 7 FO's. Make it take it.

In the 2nd Q, it was closer, with BU winning 8 of 13 that Q. Dartmouth looks to have made adjustments in that Q, with that paying off in the 2nd half with the Big Green winning 4 of 6 opportunities.
WATCHER PC

Post by WATCHER PC »

I have watched Bryant play this year, and this is a game Dartmouth should be able to keep close and give themselves a chance. Bryant is an average at best Offensive team right now. They are well coached and play solid D, but DC should be able to hold them to single digits, if they take care of the ball and don't give goals away.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

WATCHER PC wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:45 pm I have watched Bryant play this year, and this is a game Dartmouth should be able to keep close and give themselves a chance. Bryant is an average at best Offensive team right now. They are well coached and play solid D, but DC should be able to hold them to single digits, if they take care of the ball and don't give goals away.
That is a good call.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:48 pm
WATCHER PC wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:45 pm I have watched Bryant play this year, and this is a game Dartmouth should be able to keep close and give themselves a chance. Bryant is an average at best Offensive team right now. They are well coached and play solid D, but DC should be able to hold them to single digits, if they take care of the ball and don't give goals away.
That is a good call.
Indeed close!

Great game by both goalies, with neither team able to really break down the other's zone.

Interesting that the Big Green Defense rebounded and played so well as a team, despite having a couple of guys out with injuries, apparently.

But the clearing is/was awful. I was able to tune in for most of the game and it was obvious that we really don't know how to break a ride, in this case a drop back and trap ride. Gotta work more on this!

Goalie coming up the field and just tossing the ball to one side long pole and then not being involved thereafter is a recipe for trouble. He's just a freshman, but he'll need to learn to be much more involved else there's no 'extra man' advantage.

The new rules put a premium on speed of clearing, so getting the ball to one side quickly is important, so that reversing field has time to develop. That's when rides are broken and it can be made to look 'easy'.

Part of the challenge, though, may be that the D sticks really aren't very strong or confident, so if they go over it's not that difficult to trap them. They didn't look like they could threaten to attack the opposing net if they went over, tentative. Opponents are going to keep doing this if we don't find ways to transfer to midfield or attack men faster, or start proving that our poles can go down and score if they get a lane.

On O, looks like we need more work against the zone!
High Glass

Post by High Glass »

While the clear definitely needs work, not sure it is fair to say the D is not that confident or strong when DC gives up 6 goals. You should win any game in which you hold the opponent to 6 goals. Part of the scheme seems to be not to play fast and push in transition. Instead, they want to settle and possess. A couple times today, DC had fast breaks only to slow it down and work it around.

All in all, high effort, but need to be cleaner and IMO need to push the ball a bit more when the opportunity is there.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

High Glass wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:51 pm While the clear definitely needs work, not sure it is fair to say the D is not that confident or strong when DC gives up 6 goals. You should win any game in which you hold the opponent to 6 goals. Part of the scheme seems to be not to play fast and push in transition. Instead, they want to settle and possess. A couple times today, DC had fast breaks only to slow it down and work it around.

All in all, high effort, but need to be cleaner and IMO need to push the ball a bit more when the opportunity is there.
By "confident" I meant the "D sticks" handling the ball, going across the midline. The poles look relatively tentative with the ball, not confident in their own athleticism, and their stick work.

They did terrifically well (as did Bryant) with their zone D.
Great team effort on that.
High Glass

Post by High Glass »

Ah. Would love to see them try to push it a little. The motion offense is not quite there yet, and would like to see them try to get some unsettled opportunities.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

I would be encouraged by he fact that they only gave up 6 and their best defenseman didn't play. But I'm a little concerned by the lack of pt for 30. Hope he is able to return soon.
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

That is a game the Green "could have", and I hope the program has progressed to where we can say "should have" won. No surprises at all except maybe more Zone than anticipated. Fix the clearing issues and DC hopefully can start beating the teams they "should beat" again.
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

High Glass wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:12 pm Ah. Would love to see them try to push it a little. The motion offense is not quite there yet, and would like to see them try to get some unsettled opportunities.
There is no way this coaching staff is going to let this team run up and down. If DC is running up and down,so is the other team , nd who would you give the edge to, in an up and down skills and athleticism challenge DC or the majority of their opponents?? This team will try to clear better, and play very slow and deliberate and get better shots then their opponent.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Voyuer wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:00 am
High Glass wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:12 pm Ah. Would love to see them try to push it a little. The motion offense is not quite there yet, and would like to see them try to get some unsettled opportunities.
There is no way this coaching staff is going to let this team run up and down. If DC is running up and down,so is the other team , nd who would you give the edge to, in an up and down skills and athleticism challenge DC or the majority of their opponents?? This team will try to clear better, and play very slow and deliberate and get better shots then their opponent.
They mite as well have fun losing.....let the boys play coach.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:24 am
Voyuer wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:00 am
They mite as well have fun losing.....let the boys play coach.
High Glass may correct me, but I understood him to simply mean that getting the ball out quicker to an ssdm or LSM and up the field, avoiding the slow clear, would be beneficial. Quite agree. As long as actually available.

I agree with voyeur that Dartmouth should otherwise be deliberate. Indeed, it's super important that Dartmouth avoid 'hero' run clears. That is, unless there's a player like Jack Korzelius D'18, who indeed could reliably clear the ball through pure athleticism. Such players are rare in my experience, at any school, so I'd much prefer to see 'smart' clearing in order to preserve possession, if a quick break isn't available.

Love a quick break, though!

Likewise, I was saying getting the ball to a wing pole quicker, in a slower clear, would provide a bit more time for reversal of field. That's necessary to breaking down an otherwise effective ride.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Glass

Post by High Glass »

Absolutely. In no way suggesting run and gun. They were just so slow setting up clear. There were opportunities for an easier clear if they pushed and then settled into their offense.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Dartmouth does not have the horses to run and gun. BUT, they can take advantage of more unsettled situations. They have to find more ways to score than 6 vs 6. Wagner is a game DC needs, if not this weekend then when will they find w's?
Re-Lax-Already

Post by Re-Lax-Already »

A GREAT day for the Big Green Men's Lacrosse team yesterday on Staten Island. There is still much to improve on, and hard work ahead, but let's celebrate the team and coaching staff for the 11-4 victory and carry the momentum into Tuesday's game. Going into exams at 2-2 would be a good boost for the young men that are leaving it all on the field and playing hard! GBG
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

Happy for the Green and really expect them to be 3-2 heading into ST John's game in Queens. i also know the goal is to be ready for Harvard and the IVY League schedule. I still think 4 wins and 1 Ivy win in the cards. Interestingly they Play Yale-Corn-Penn on the road. I expect those 3 to be the top 3. There is not t a big drop off, but they may play the bottom 3 at home giving them more of a shot at an IVY win. Perhaps 2 !! Ok,,, we all will take 1 for now.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Re-Lax-Already wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:25 am A GREAT day for the Big Green Men's Lacrosse team yesterday on Staten Island. There is still much to improve on, and hard work ahead, but let's celebrate the team and coaching staff for the 11-4 victory and carry the momentum into Tuesday's game. Going into exams at 2-2 would be a good boost for the young men that are leaving it all on the field and playing hard! GBG
Congrats indeed in order!

But yes, also lots to work on.

Much better clearing %, but we need to keep working on that as we'll undoubtedly face better riding teams going forward.

Great to see the freshman tender playing so well. Again, there are going to better shooters down the stretch, so hopefully he'll continue to work hard and stay sharp. That said, a hot goalie with a big 'presence' is very, very intriguing, as such can change the dynamic substantially.

This is a very young team, so hopefully the staff will keep coaching hard, with every day an opportunity for these guys to learn.
check sticks

Post by check sticks »

Re-Lax-Already wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:25 am A GREAT day for the Big Green Men's Lacrosse team yesterday on Staten Island. There is still much to improve on, and hard work ahead, but let's celebrate the team and coaching staff for the 11-4 victory and carry the momentum into Tuesday's game. Going into exams at 2-2 would be a good boost for the young men that are leaving it all on the field and playing hard! GBG
Anyone who attended yesterday's game that can speak for the game time weather conditions? Instagram snapshot of a snowy field being cleared off game time.

Dartmouth could not resist another 20+ turnovers (16 were caused TOs). Did the weather/field conditions have any part of that?

Tuesday forecasting 24 degrees at game time. Heading south from there. Let's hope the turnover bug can be reeled in, and build on Saturday's clearing improvement along with continued solid goalie play.

GBG
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Good win for the Big Green on the road in lousy conditions vs a team they "should" beat. I liked seeing the scoring spread out a bit on Saturday. Turnovers don't bother me if they are done while trying to execute, the issue is unforced turnovers, improve in that category and you have something to build on.

Next couple of games are big momentum games heading into Ivy play. Can they welcome Harvard to the Upper Valley with a winning record?

Looking forward to seeing the Big Green live for the first time tomorrow. I'll be at Salt Hill pregaming.
Laxjunkie

Post by Laxjunkie »

sguy9 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:31 am Good win for the Big Green on the road in lousy conditions vs a team they "should" beat. I liked seeing the scoring spread out a bit on Saturday. Turnovers don't bother me if they are done while trying to execute, the issue is unforced turnovers, improve in that category and you have something to build on.

Next couple of games are big momentum games heading into Ivy play. Can they welcome Harvard to the Upper Valley with a winning record?

Looking forward to seeing the Big Green live for the first time tomorrow. I'll be at Salt Hill pregaming.
Hopefully the clunker of a game didn't cause any regurg on the pregaming. I was not there but from what I've heard, an awful game for the Big Green. So much work to do. Really disheartening actually.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”