Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by FannOLax »

Bearfan wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:13 pm Any remote chance of getting back to discussing IVY League lax?
I'm all for it, but didn't get to see any Ivy fall ball. My general sense is that with Harvard having a capable head coach and with Dartmouth seeming to be on a trajectory of improvement, there is likely to be less of a chasm between the top of the League and the bottom than we saw in 2019 (yes, it really has been that long since we've had conference games). I also note that this implies that the top teams don't improve as much as H & D, which to me seems likely given how strong a 2020 senior class there was for the likes of Yale and Cornell. Part of me thinks that the extra year off will hurt the Ivies in 2022, with the related thought that we were robbed of what was shaping up to be tremendous 2020 Ivy League group of teams; but I keep hoping for the best, and planning to go to whole slew of Ivy and non-Ivy games this next spring.
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Great…back to Lax.. 2020 Princeton was 5-0 beating Hopkins, UVA and Rutgers by a minimum of four goals and Brown beat UVA in 2020 right before Covid shut down everything. Going into 2020 Princeton and Brown were mid-pack IVY. yet clearly the IVY was full of competitive teams. I know here and there there are regular season games between the IVY and ACC and once the regular season games are finalized it would be nice to see how many times the IVY faces the BIG 10 and ACC.
I like everyone was so disappointed in 2020 and it is my hope we as a league don’t regress due to the Co-vid layoff
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

It is difficult to tell what the Covid layoff will do. Brown kept practicing and had an impressive win against BU. Penn kept practicing, and blew out their DIII opponent Cabrini. Dartmouth, similarly, kept practicing and dropped a game to Tufts but dominated their DII game against Saint Anselm.

Of those who did not play, Yale reported having one player on campus, and it was noted on one of the threads that they had a strict diet and exercise plan for players who were at home. Cornell reported having 17 players on campus. From the UMD scrimmage results, it looks like the Red are in good form. It was reported that many Princeton players left campus. I might be incorrect on that one, the reports from Princeton were early then silent. Harvard practiced, but did not play. It sounds like the Crimson looked good in their various fall ball scrimmages.

The two biggest drawbacks of the lay-off were 1) Player development and 2) Talent loss.

1) Player development: It's hard for players to improve without playing games. This might hurt Frosh and Sophs from the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

2) Talent loss: Of greatest note, for Brown, they've lost great goalie, Yale has lost a great FOGO, Cornell has lost a great attackman, as has Princeton. This is not a comprehensive list by any means.

When all is said and done, I would still expect at least three Ivy teams in the top twenty, but it may be a rocky road to get there.
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Rather than waiting for the end of the season and seeing who represents the IVY in the NCAAs, does anyone know of regular season matchups against the BIg 10 or ACC teams vs an IVY for 2022?
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

So far I think only Princeton has released their schedule, and it looks strong, including matchups against Maryland, Georgetown and Rutgers.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

ctbagataway wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:57 am So far I think only Princeton has released their schedule, and it looks strong, including matchups against Maryland, Georgetown and Rutgers.
It will be interesting to see how their SOS plays out. They also have Monmouth, Binghamton and Marist. All respectable and improving programs. I'm not sure why Hop didn't make the list. Also (I may be wrong, and need to check) but I thought that they used to play UNC as well.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

faircornell wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:10 am
ctbagataway wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:57 am So far I think only Princeton has released their schedule, and it looks strong, including matchups against Maryland, Georgetown and Rutgers.
It will be interesting to see how their SOS plays out. They also have Monmouth, Binghamton and Marist. All respectable and improving programs. I'm not sure why Hop didn't make the list. Also (I may be wrong, and need to check) but I thought that they used to play UNC as well.
Hopkins and UVA are out and Georgetown and Maryland are in. Hopkins will be back on the schedule next year and I believe the goal is to get UVA back. Taking the year off disrupted scheduling. Wait until the Cornell schedule drops. You may or may not see some of the teams played in the past. A temporary dislocation. May impact other IL schools as well.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:28 am
Hopkins and UVA are out and Georgetown and Maryland are in. Hopkins will be back on the schedule next year and I believe the goal is to get UVA back. Taking the year off disrupted scheduling. Wait until the Cornell schedule drops. You may or may not see some of the teams played in the past. A temporary dislocation. May impact other IL schools as well.
the ivies having to push the schedule back on the creep from 7 not dividing into 365 exactly and their late start practicing couldn't have helped.

then you have teams having to get ivy replacements last year (i.e. uva) or resuming contracts from 2 years ago (b1g but everyone really) if they weren't up.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:39 am
the ivies having to push the schedule back on the creep from 7 not dividing into 365 exactly and their late start practicing couldn't have helped.

then you have teams having to get ivy replacements last year (i.e. uva) or resuming contracts from 2 years ago (b1g but everyone really) if they weren't up.
Hopkins had Princeton on their initial schedule but it couldn’t be worked out.
“I wish you would!”
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Thanks for the explanation. If Cornell can keep Syracuse and Penn State on its schedule, that would be ideal. If Cornell could pick up Ohio State or a similar OOC game, that would be better.
Typical Lax Dad

faircornell wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:09 pm
Thanks for the explanation. If Cornell can keep Syracuse and Penn State on its schedule, that would be ideal. If Cornell could pick up Ohio State or a similar OOC game, that would be better.
Looks like UAlbany filled in for Cornell last season
against Syracuse..Not sure that was a Home and Home deal.
“I wish you would!”
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I certainly hope Cornell will be playing both Syracuse and Hobart. There is Tambroni's Cornell connection, but it seems Penn State may have slid down the Big 10 pecking order; Yale had been playing both Penn State and Michigan annually before the pandemic, with Albany, Villanova, UMass and Bryant long-standing OOC opponents. Albany would seem to make sense for Cornell. Penn regularly played both Penn State and Duke. Here's hoping that the Ivies get enough quality OOC games to get good strength of schedule, like Princeton has done.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:42 pm
faircornell wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:09 pm
Looks like UAlbany filled in for Cornell last season
against Syracuse..Not sure that was a Home and Home deal.
Albany is on Hobarts schedule for the first time ever if that complements the speculation re Albany/Cornell.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

OCanada wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:58 am I was trying to resist but….

I worked for a couple of months in a coal mine in Mingo “Bloody Mingo” County WVA. Its in the heart of Appalachia. Coal mines wars started there. Hatfield McCoy. Devil Anse Hatfield is buried there. The writer J D Vance ? Has never been there.

First day I arrive my future foreman asks if i know this joke:

Son: I want to introduce Kathy to y’all. I know out families are feuding but we are in love and I intend to marry her if you will bless us.

Dad: Son, i have only one question. Is she a virgin?

Son: Yes dad she is. She is a good girl.

Dad: Then you better take her back. If she isn’t good enough for her own kin then she isn’t good enough for us
When I heard it they were Cajuns.

Why can't murders be solved in West Virginia?

There are no dental records and all the DNA is the same!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:48 pm I certainly hope Cornell will be playing both Syracuse and Hobart. There is Tambroni's Cornell connection, but it seems Penn State may have slid down the Big 10 pecking order; Yale had been playing both Penn State and Michigan annually before the pandemic, with Albany, Villanova, UMass and Bryant long-standing OOC opponents. Albany would seem to make sense for Cornell. Penn regularly played both Penn State and Duke. Here's hoping that the Ivies get enough quality OOC games to get good strength of schedule, like Princeton has done.
Never quite understood why Cornell and Johns Hopkins do not play on a regular (if not annual) basis. Two programs with great traditions and more than a few personal ties.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:01 pm
FannOLax wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:48 pm I certainly hope Cornell will be playing both Syracuse and Hobart. There is Tambroni's Cornell connection, but it seems Penn State may have slid down the Big 10 pecking order; Yale had been playing both Penn State and Michigan annually before the pandemic, with Albany, Villanova, UMass and Bryant long-standing OOC opponents. Albany would seem to make sense for Cornell. Penn regularly played both Penn State and Duke. Here's hoping that the Ivies get enough quality OOC games to get good strength of schedule, like Princeton has done.
Never quite understood why Cornell and Johns Hopkins do not play on a regular (if not annual) basis. Two programs with great traditions and more than a few personal ties.

THe Hopkins v Cornell game was a regular affair in my day (mid to late 70s) It was always a great game to watch if we weren't playing.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

I know Cornell is hosting Army some time in April. I don't know about other non-Ivies on the schedule.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:49 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:01 pm

THe Hopkins v Cornell game was a regular affair in my day (mid to late 70s) It was always a great game to watch if we weren't playing.
I read on a a private lax alum email several years ago that there was a gentlemans' agreement between coaches not to play each other since Petro and Tambroni/ Deluca were close, and since Petro was a former Cornell coach. I don't know if this is correct, but it sounds plausible.
molo

Post by molo »

Hopkins added Cornell when they were a powerhouse in the 70s. If I’m not mistaken, they dropped Cornell when they added UNC.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

Why JHU should not add Cornell.

1. It is a long bus ride
2. The weather is bad in feb and march
3. There is no recruiting benefit in playing in Ithaca.

Rather play Princeton, Penn, Villanova, etc:; shorter trip, weather is better, and all are located in a better recruiting area.

Quite frankly, we should drop UNC and pick up somebody closer. Again long bus ride, and no recruiting benefit playing in that area. Weather is OK though.

Playing in the BIG requires some significant travel time. Should be looking for OOC games closer to home. Lots of good competitive games/schools nearby. Less wear and tear on the players, especially when there is a NCAA playoff looming.

Just my opinion. ;)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”