Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
JoeMauer89

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:08 pm Guys, that's not appropriate, especially on the lacrosse side of the forum.
It's a personal attack.

And on this particular point, Doc actually said something funny.
A sense of humor would be a more appropriate response.
Yes, not appropriate. He needs to be reminded that he is not better than everyone else in this thread. His posts can be humorous at times, but often come off as pompous, pedantic, and as if others are beneath him. That was my way of calling him out on it in an attempt to give him a sense of understanding as to what he is doing. That was the intention of the post.

Joe
lorin

Post by lorin »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:28 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:08 pm Guys, that's not appropriate, especially on the lacrosse side of the forum.
It's a personal attack.

Yes, not appropriate. He needs to be reminded that he is not better than everyone else in this thread. His posts can be humorous at times, but often come off as pompous, pedantic, and as if others are beneath him. That was my way of calling him out on it in an attempt to give him a sense of understanding as to what he is doing. That was the intention of the post.

Joe
a lot of posters like to make fun of kids, and don't get called out. it is what it is.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

It's a personal attack.

Joe
I understand your opinion re "pompous, pedantic, and as if others are beneath him", though I don't entirely share it (most of the time), but I'd just suggest that pushing back on such would be far better reserved for actual, clear instances of such in a post, rather than his mere presence as a poster.

And far better to say that a particular post is "arrogant" or "pedantic" than to attack the poster as such. Be specific about what in that particular post comes across that way and why it does to you.

In other words, let's give each other room to clarify, modify...if they then don't, that's on them and will be obvious without the necessity to attack.

That also allows the general tone of the discussion to be much more inviting to other posters, especially new ones. We need to add. Very few need to be subtracted, and Doc's not on that list IMO.

On Doc's posts above, IMO they were quite funny, clever, and neither arrogant nor pedantic...of course, if someone married their cousin, they might have a different perspective! ;)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

howdyyall wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:54 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:57 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:09 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:17 am I don't know if anyone cares, but there was a bit of a social media tweet storm over the weekend regarding the Harvard vs Princeton OT football game.

In brief, Harvard scored to win the game in a series of 2 point conversion plays. The play was called back in error, and eventually, Princeton won 18-16. The Ivy League acknowledged the error, but still gave Princeton the win.

Many Ivy fans likely recall the 1940 "Fifth Down Game" between Cornell and Dartmouth. Cornell won on an officiating error, and forfeited the game to Dartmouth. The forfeit eliminated Cornell's real hopes of a NC in football that year.

We'll see this week what the Princeton administration does. The Cornell example was an effort in sportsmanship that has been remembered. It would credit Princeton to abide by this unique tradition.
Well, the Harvard AD has graciously conceded the game. Very graciously. Princeton is silent. It's a shameful day for Ivy Sports and HYP Football. I guess that the League is happy with developing technocrats as opposed to principled leaders.

I guess TLD's tag line is correct.
I admire what Cornell did those many decades ago. They did the right thing, even if it meant surrendering a national championship.

Having said that, if there are any SEC football fans reading this thread, they are laughing uncontrollably on the floor right now, spilling their Bud Light all over their new Confederate flag area rug and slapping the derrière of their cousin-wife.

DocBarrister :P
I’m surprised no one called out this grifter on his obvious nonsense. I was hoping someone would say something..I mean have you seen the nonsense he puts on twitter. Hopefully we can get an apology from this intolerant individual.
there were a couple peeps that did. pretty par for the course with him around here.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
lorin

Post by lorin »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:58 am
here is one of them.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:04 am
It's a personal attack.

Joe
I understand your opinion re "pompous, pedantic, and as if others are beneath him", though I don't entirely share it (most of the time), but I'd just suggest that pushing back on such would be far better reserved for actual, clear instances of such in a post, rather than his mere presence as a poster.

And far better to say that a particular post is "arrogant" or "pedantic" than to attack the poster as such. Be specific about what in that particular post comes across that way and why it does to you.

In other words, let's give each other room to clarify, modify...if they then don't, that's on them and will be obvious without the necessity to attack.

That also allows the general tone of the discussion to be much more inviting to other posters, especially new ones. We need to add. Very few need to be subtracted, and Doc's not on that list IMO.

On Doc's posts above, IMO they were quite funny, clever, and neither arrogant nor pedantic...of course, if someone married their cousin, they might have a different perspective! ;)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regina_ ... sonal_life
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

If uninvolved people don't like the Ivy thread for political reasons, please set up a political topic in the politics section.

Doc has disclosed that he has an Ivy degree, and he's a passionate lacrosse fan. As with all who attempt humor on the internet, some times it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

My view is that the Ivy league is different, and has a set of rules and traditions that are different. It is certainly not "better," and shows it's shortcomings and inconsistencies daily.

Please, as MD noted, we need to add and not subtract to have meaningful discussion.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:47 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:04 am
It's a personal attack.

Joe

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regina_ ... sonal_life
People don’t believe me when I say Rudy married his cousin. Family that lived one block behind me in an old neighborhood had family incest. A couple kids had some deformities. I believe the couple were siblings……Like Jasper told Clayton Bigsby about the black guy trying to date his sister…..look here….xxxx…. If anyone is going to date my sister, it’s going to be me!!
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ironic back-to-back posts there.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:51 pm ironic back-to-back posts there.
I thought “howdyyall” and the marrying a cousin was funny. I know a bunch of hillbillies. Nothing surprises me. Rudy must be southern Italian.

Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:55 pm
I thought “howdyyall” and the marrying a cousin was funny. I know a bunch of hillbillies. Nothing surprises me. Rudy must be southern Italian.

what kind of neighborhoods you live in?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:55 pm

what kind of neighborhoods you live in?
Which one? The middle one was working class. My family eventually moved up a few years later. I went to elementary school with basically Hillbilly Elegy folk. Actually good hoops in that Hillbilly Elegy area. Very good. Anyway, I had a paper route and delivered to that incest house. Everyone laughed about it. Kids had limb problems. I am going to ask my sister but the father may have knocked up the daughter. A few streets over, an 8th grader at my school shot his high school brother in the head with a shot gun on the sidewalk….and not far from there an assassin that made national news. Most people don’t know the story. In our last neighborhood, one of the Iran hostages lived behind my parents home. We had moved up by then. I last saw that guy at the grocery store, he looked lost.
“I wish you would!”
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Well if there's any lax thread I would expect to take a dive into genetics, pheno/geno issues AND incest, it's the Ivy League thread.😉
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Gotta keep the lineage pure in the IVYs.

Now if we’re talking Syracuse, whoa boy that’s a very non linear story!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hope you guys have all seen this before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i6XsIL0jIBI
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I was trying to resist but….

I worked for a couple of months in a coal mine in Mingo “Bloody Mingo” County WVA. Its in the heart of Appalachia. Coal mines wars started there. Hatfield McCoy. Devil Anse Hatfield is buried there. The writer J D Vance ? Has never been there.

First day I arrive my future foreman asks if i know this joke:

Son: I want to introduce Kathy to y’all. I know out families are feuding but we are in love and I intend to marry her if you will bless us.

Dad: Son, i have only one question. Is she a virgin?

Son: Yes dad she is. She is a good girl.

Dad: Then you better take her back. If she isn’t good enough for her own kin then she isn’t good enough for us
Last edited by OCanada on Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Like it
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Any remote chance of getting back to discussing IVY League lax?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”